• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UNCHARTED |OT| The Master Thief Collection

I'm finally getting around to replaying these with this collection.

Man, the writing in Uncharted 2 is great. It does get a bit over the top at the end but the dialogue between
Chloe and Nathan, and then Nathan and Elena joking about "how scared were you that I was going to die"
right at the end is great. Seriously, what a great, subdued final scene. It really doesn't get enough credit.

Also I didn't appreciate this when I played these (1 & 2 anyway) in high school but I love how all the female characters are so solid. Ahead of its time in that regard.

Shin-Ra

UDF Customs House beat on Brutal. Not nearly as bad as I was expecting, the hidden sniper rifle and taking in a fully loaded Wes-44 helps a lot.

UDFpunchy.gif

So, I grabbed the collection about 2 weeks ago. We put the PS4 in the bedroom, got bored of switching hdmi's and plugs in the living all the time between the ps4 and the xbox one, so I've really just been jumping in and playing a few chapters at a time when I want a bit of quiet time. Now Uncharted 1, I absolutely loved at release (I have played all the games before a butt load, for context) and for a long time considered in my mind an underrated game. I didn't like how alot of people put it below the others, but going through UC1 again was a real slog. Bluepoint did great work of course and there's some nice moments but in general, I really don't like the encounter design and philosophy in the game, lots of cheap spots and so on. Also playing the gears of war ultimate remaster lately really putting it in context for me how questionable the combat is and how combat heavy Drake's fortune is, given Gears 1 is a year OLDER and plays so much better. Replaying UC1 took the wind out of my sails over the collection a little basically.

However, I started UC2 today, and holy crap. If Drake's Fortune is an example of a game that has aged fairly poorly, Among thieves is an example of a game beyond it's time and one that has aged phenomenally. I've just sat and played from the beginning, straight through to arriving in Nepal and damn, it is just still so good today. It looks like a modern game even. It plays a lot better, the plot is fantastic, it's just brilliant to be playing this game again. I'm still early, so not too much to say, I just wanted to share my thoughts about going through the first game again and what playing the seocnd game again in that context.

So, I grabbed the collection about 2 weeks ago. We put the PS4 in the bedroom, got bored of switching hdmi's and plugs in the living all the time between the ps4 and the xbox one, so I've really just been jumping in and playing a few chapters at a time when I want a bit of quiet time. Now Uncharted 1, I absolutely loved at release (I have played all the games before a butt load, for context) and for a long time considered in my mind an underrated game. I didn't like how alot of people put it below the others, but going through UC1 again was a real slog. Bluepoint did great work of course and there's some nice moments but in general, I really don't like the encounter design and philosophy in the game, lots of cheap spots and so on. Also playing the gears of war ultimate remaster lately really putting it in context for me how questionable the combat is and how combat heavy Drake's fortune is, given Gears 1 is a year OLDER and plays so much better. Replaying UC1 took the wind out of my sails over the collection a little basically.

However, I started UC2 today, and holy crap. If Drake's Fortune is an example of a game that has aged fairly poorly, Among thieves is an example of a game beyond it's time and one that has aged phenomenally. I've just sat and played from the beginning, straight through to arriving in Nepal and damn, it is just still so good today. It looks like a modern game even. It plays a lot better, the plot is fantastic, it's just brilliant to be playing this game again. I'm still early, so not too much to say, I just wanted to share my thoughts about going through the first game again and what playing the seocnd game again in that context.

This was my experience with revisiting the collection as well. I was so worried 2 wouldn't live up to my memories of it, but I was blown away all over again in the collection.

SRTtoZ

Picked up the game for half price digitally even though I found out today the guy I game share with has it *slaps head* (I thought he had physical).

Anyway, so far its amazing, and its blowing me away again just like it did the first time I played em on PS3. Right now I'm on Drakes Fortune and its so crisp looking with a silky smooth framerate. With all of the open world games we've had lately its just so damn refreshing to play something like this and just soak in the story.

Can't wait til I start UC2/3 and of course, 4.

Shin-Ra

So far Brutal's much more annoying in Uncharted 2. The AI has a perfect lock on your position before you expose yourself.

Binabik15

I don't get it.

I *just* finshed Uncharted DF as the OG PS3 disc version. Why the hell did I only get the trophies from my Crushing playthrough and the medals from March (when I played it on Hard) are all unlocked but with no trophies?!

I wanted UC as my first Platinum again, already had it on my old account as my only Plat ever. I don't usually care for them, but I want U:DF shown as 100% and my damn Plat, not 22% and some dumb random trophies I got when doing Crushing. And I'm NOT going to delete everything and play it two more times, I already played it over ten times alreary, enough is enough ;_;

Shin-Ra

I suffered a great many deaths but that's two Uncharted's Brutalised.

Uncharted2DEAD.gif

Hopefully Uncharted 3 AI gives a little more time to pop out and shoot so less cover peeping's required.

So I finally just got around to playing this in an attempt to take a break from my bloated, open-world laden backlog. Revisiting something linear like the Uncharted series is a breath of fresh air, let me tell you...

But HO-LEE-SHIT!

Is this not the best remaster to grace current gen consoles? I mean, I finished Drake's Fortune and thought "Damn, that game REALLY benefitted from the visual/technical overhaul because I remember getting straight up nauseous from the screen tearing on the PS3 version..."

And then I get to Uncharted 2...

My jaw meets floor, constantly. It's like...this has to be one of the best looking games out right now, right? RIGHT!?

Maybe that's hyperbole, but I feel like it can hold it's own amongst some of the current gen titles out there.

WOW. So glad I bought this, even though I initially bought it for a friend who had never played the Uncharted series, having been on X360 for the previous gen. He played through Drake's Fortune and came to the conclusion that it was "straight trash", then barely touched Uncharted 2 before moving on to play something else.

Reclaiming this from him was the right decision.

So I finally just got around to playing this in an attempt to take a break from my bloated, open-world laden backlog. Revisiting something linear like the Uncharted series is a breath of fresh air, let me tell you...

But HO-LEE-SHIT!

Is this not the best remaster to grace current gen consoles? I mean, I finished Drake's Fortune and thought "Damn, that game REALLY benefitted from the visual/technical overhaul because I remember getting straight up nauseous from the screen tearing on the PS3 version..."

And then I get to Uncharted 2...

My jaw meets floor, constantly. It's like...this has to be one of the best looking games out right now, right? RIGHT!?

Maybe that's hyperbole, but I feel like it can hold it's own amongst some of the current gen titles out there.

WOW. So glad I bought this, even though I initially bought it for a friend who had never played the Uncharted series, having been on X360 for the previous gen. He played through Drake's Fortune and came to the conclusion that it was "straight trash", then barely touched Uncharted 2 before moving on to play something else.

Reclaiming this from him was the right decision.

Your friend's not worthy. Yeah they did a great job with Drake's Fortune, 2 looks incredible, and then wait until you see 3...

Definitely one of the best remasters available.

Auctopus

Just finished Syndicate and I've moved on to this...

Played up to The Fortress so far and having an absolute blast. It's been a while since I've played DF so it's really fun being back.

Played a match of the beta and went 19-13 too which was nice but I don't feel the need to play it again.

The Uncharted games replaced HL2 as my "play through at least once a year" games, and I've probably beaten each one 4-5 times, typically on hard.

That said, does anyone think that hard--at least in UC2, the first game I'm playing in the collection--is more difficult than the ps3 version? I'm currently at the bridge section during the monastery and I'm struggling to get a few shots off before dying. I'm getting frustrated, and I don't remember feeling this way since my UC1 Crushing attempt.

Auctopus

Just finished Drake's Fortune (forgot how short it is!)

Man, what a jolly fucking game. Loved it through and through. Excellent remaster.

Auctopus

Sorry for the double post but I've reached the UC3 Shipyard and I'm just not enjoying this entry anymore.

Playing them side-by-side hasnt burned me out, it's just shown me how many issues UC3 has despite still being a good game.

- Bad pacing in the first 6 chapters.
- Horrible horde mode encounters with bad feeling guns against bad looking enemies.
- Way too many button prompts.
- Way too much 'Brawling'.
- Control is taken away from the player several times in order for the game to be cinematic.

The Uncharted games replaced HL2 as my "play through at least once a year" games, and I've probably beaten each one 4-5 times, typically on hard.

That said, does anyone think that hard--at least in UC2, the first game I'm playing in the collection--is more difficult than the ps3 version? I'm currently at the bridge section during the monastery and I'm struggling to get a few shots off before dying. I'm getting frustrated, and I don't remember feeling this way since my UC1 Crushing attempt.

I played U2 on hard the first time I played through it back in 2009. It actually drove me away from the game for like 6 months. The Tibetan village set piece is/was absolutely brutal on hard difficulty...especially the tank. I'm playing through the collection again now and just passed through the village on normal and have much fonder memories of this playthrough than the last.

Sorry for the double post but I've reached the UC3 Shipyard and I'm just not enjoying this entry anymore.

Playing them side-by-side hasnt burned me out, it's just shown me how many issues UC3 has despite still being a good game.

- Bad pacing in the first 6 chapters.
- Horrible horde mode encounters with bad feeling guns against bad looking enemies.
- Way too many button prompts.
- Way too much 'Brawling'.
- Control is taken away from the player several times in order for the game to be cinematic.

I'm towards the end of U2 now and I'm interested to see if I'll start to feel the same way about U3. I've always been a "U3 > U2 > U:GA > U1" person but my current playthrough of U2 is resonating really strongly with me and making me realize a few things about U3 that I don't like...mostly all of the locale jumping in U3. U2 does an excellent job of utilizing it's locales to the fullest and incorporating set pieces within the locales. U3 can feel like a janky lead-in to Yemen at times...especially with how much the game jumps around. I mean, the first nine chapters cross 4 countries on 3 continents. I'm not sure if I'd call it a pacing issue as much as a continuity issue. I wish they had drawn out those locales a little more and spent less time in Yemen...specifically the ship graveyard and cruise ship segments, which feel more like a technical achievement that was shoehorned into the story. Nothing in U2 feels that way.

Auctopus

I'm towards the end of U2 now and I'm interested to see if I'll start to feel the same way about U3. I've always been a "U3 > U2 > U:GA > U1" person but my current playthrough of U2 is resonating really strongly with me and making me realize a few things about U3 that I don't like...mostly all of the locale jumping in U3. U2 does an excellent job of utilizing it's locales to the fullest and incorporating set pieces within the locales. U3 can feel like a janky lead-in to Yemen at times...especially with how much the game jumps around. I mean, the first nine chapters cross 4 countries on 3 continents. I'm not sure if I'd call it a pacing issue as much as a continuity issue. I wish they had drawn out those locales a little more and spent less time in Yemen...specifically the ship graveyard and cruise ship segments, which feel more like a technical achievement that was shoehorned into the story. Nothing in U2 feels that way.

I'll admit I was quite frustrated with Shipyard when I wrote that but I still stand by the points. The game does pick up once Drake gets back to Elena (best cutscene in the game) and then its fun ride to the end
except fighting the Djinn

Woodchipper

Finally finished UC2 the other day and I'm half way or so through UC3. I can't even tell you how many times UC2 made me throw the controller away and shut the game off. It's just endless shooting, and then you shoot some more. Lost interest for weeks before deciding to finally finish it just so I could start UC3.

UC3 is my favorite by miles so far. I love the increased amount of puzzles (which adventure games like Uncharted and Tomb Raider should be mostly about in my opinion) and the decrease in frustrating enemy encounters. So far UC3 has been nothing but awesome really. It looks, plays and sounds the best, it has the best score, and even the best story in my opinion. Go ahead and call me crazy if you like.

I came into this way late, I'm a changer from 360 to PS4 so barely knew much about Uncharted away from trailers and a few reviews here and there.

I know playing them back to back isn't ideal but I don't know if I can go into Uncharted 3 after just finishing 2.

I found the ending to both games appalling. I really could do without the 'supernatural' bullshit and scary, skittish monsters that are frustrating as fuck to kill after a whole game of enjoying the encounters with soliders and militia etc.

Does Uncharted 3 have the same arc?

Uncharted 2 was stunning for the most part but seriously from Shambala on I was just so done, it felt like such a chore and an anti-climax and that bridge escape is cool but yeah. Please no more weird monsters.

Those fucking blue things.

I came into this way late, I'm a changer from 360 to PS4 so barely knew much about Uncharted away from trailers and a few reviews here and there.

I know playing them back to back isn't ideal but I don't know if I can go into Uncharted 3 after just finishing 2.

I found the ending to both games appalling. I really could do without the 'supernatural' bullshit and scary, skittish monsters that are frustrating as fuck to kill after a whole game of enjoying the encounters with soliders and militia etc.

Uncharted 2 was stunning for the most part but seriously from Shambala on I was just so done, it felt like such a chore and an anti-climax and that bridge escape is cool but yeah. Please no more weird monsters.

They all have similar arc. The supernatural stuff is there by design. I kind of agree that it could be a drag, but I haven't had any issues with it once I learned how to fight them.

Protip: use power weapons to kill the
Djinns
and
bows
to kill
Shamballa guardians

Having never touched the series before I just completed Drakes Fortune and am halfway through Among Thieves. Everything about the gameplay is so contrived and the design philosophy is so oppressive its difficult for me to enjoy these games. Uncharted 2 has remarkable spectacle but there is remarkably little agency in the actual gameplay. You feel the designers hand constantly pushing you in very particular directions.

A pretty common scenario is running around looking for the particular point in the area I need to find to move to the next section, or jumping onto things that are borderline climbable and being killed. I tend to die during the "climactic" sequences which breaks their spell, since re-doing them just kills their overall impact.

I can't get into the rhythm of these games at all, not matter how beautiful the art design or sharp the writing.

Idk I think they give you a bunch of agency in the actual meat of the game aka the thrid person shooting. The connective stuff is more constricted but it serves well as the pacing section it is, and the writing, art, and spectacle just serve to make it more enjoyable.

Got this just before Christmas and I'm about 3/4 of the way through Drake's Fortune. It's a really impressive game and I am having fun playing it, but it's bloody frustrating in a lot of ways too. The structure of going into an area and waves of enemies spawning gets so tiresome, and you can generally tell which areas are primed for a gunfight and which areas are safe depending on how many waist-high walls there are scattered around.

Probably going to play something else before I move on to Uncharted 2, but I am looking forward to playing the other two more than this one - it was always my least favourite in the series.

First time playing any game in this series, aside from a demo of UC2 on the PS3. Finished UC1 last week, and now I'm about 2/3 of the way through UC2.

Not a huge fan of the series so far, but I'm trying to appreciate it for what it is. UC1 was just very repetitive (climb, shoot, rinse, repeat) and overly silly.
Monsters at the end kinda came out of nowhere, but wasn't bad. Shouldn't Nate or Elena or the world be sort of blown away that monsters exist? It's not a zombie apocalypse, that type of incident should rock their perceptions of the world and life itself.
Nitpicky, but it seems like it should be a big deal I guess.

UC2 has been much better overall, but still feels like more of the same. It feels much more consistent in quality and cinematic, and I enjoy that the set pieces feel like cutscenes, they flow together very nicely. I also enjoy that it's a tad darker this time around.
And it has less of Sully--he was fairly annoying in UC1 and it was ridiculous how every time Nate would spider-monkey his way into a new area, he'd find a way to get Sully there with a convenient staircase.

I'm hoping things continue to get a little darker (not that the games shouldn't be fun, but they're a little too silly despite the constant gunfights to me--I'd rather things get a little grittier and feel more weighty). I also hope that the gameplay gets a little more varied. I hated the jetski parts in UC1, but it was at least nice to have something different than shooting. Climbing is nice to look at, but very repetitive and easy.

Maybe it's just not a great fit for me, but I love platformers in general. It's not very stimulating to me since there's typically one "correct way" to do things, so once you figure it out it's easy, but otherwise you just die like an idiot; there isn't much agency or choice involved. I think maybe they're just too linear and the gameplay doesn't have enough variation to convince me to buy UC4 when it's out; I'll wait for the reviews but if I get it, it'll probably be after a significant price drop.

Finished replaying all 3 again recently back to back

Boy you can see a change in how games were received from the first game to now.
That length of game now (One) would be condemned to failure before it even had chance now.

Before going into this I originally preferred 2 compared to 3 too.

I have to say my mind has been changed and I now prefer Uncharted 3.
With the only thing annoying me being that insta-fail stealth section @ the museum.

All the way through each game you could see Naughty Dog evolving its story telling process (which ultimately evolved into The Last of Us?)

And I feel that they nailed that pretty well in UC3

Just polish up on the game play for UC4 and we have a winner

dext3rr

3 platinum trophies in one week! Great games. Reminded me why I love this series so much. Now I'm waiting for U4. This and Dark Souls 3 are the only games I wanna buy in a few months. Of course they both have to launch in April. :(

Crushing was frustrating. Not going for brutal anytime soon, or ever...

Liamario

Banned
That train section at 60fps is just stunning and a lot of fun to play. Really enjoying U2 again, though it was one of my top 5 last gen.

The improvement in U3 controls has really made a massive difference to my enjoyment of the game. Still 2nd overall, but a much more positive experience.

void666

Banned
Was about to post a RTTP, but this will do.
I played the originals on ps3 by the way so i'm not new to the franchise.

Anyway, i skiped the first one because i didn't enjoy it back in the day. Maybe i'll play it later on.

Uncharted 2 is still a masterpiece. Story, set pieces, gameplay, challenge. Everything is perfect.

Then i started playing uncharted 3. I only beat it once on ps3 and forgot everything about it.
I have to say the game is beautiful. Looks better than a lot of modern games.

First complaint: forced melee combat. I don't want to go through the mini QTE melee shitfest. I just want to shoot them and be done with it. Specially when there's other enemies shooting at you. But those big guys lock on you and it's really hard to dodge and shoot them.

The shipyard. Goddammit... That's the place where i gave up on my last playthrough.
Bullshit challenge. I really hate it. At one point i had enemies spawning around me and killing me before i could react.
And it's completely pointless plot wise. It's like the devs just wanted to shoehorn a sinking ship set piece. This really soured the experience for me.

I'm about 60% through Uncharted 2 (just defeated
the first 'yeti' in the ice cave
), and it's the first time I've played it in about six years since it was my first Platinum in early 2010. Really loving it all over again. I love all of the colours and the variety in environments, and the pacing is really superb, on both a large and small scale. By that I mean that levels never outstay their welcome and the game keeps along at a decent pace, but also firefights are much better handled than in Uncharted 1, and it doesn't feel as formulaic, with areas that are more naturally designed and enemies who are less blatant in spawning into combat arenas. I also love the physics on objects in the environment, and I love how the plants move around with explosions or when the helicopter flies overhead - little details like this are really impressive. The texture work is also completely amazing, and the visuals are really great for a last-gen game. I might be able to finish tonight, then I'll play something else and move on to Uncharted 3.

I've also taken quite a lot of time to stop and take photos. Such a pretty game, and I love the art style in particularly.

CYrJGUeWEAAP3R8.jpg

CYrJ3JJW8AAfvKs.jpg

CYt-Xn8WkAAgo8U.jpg

Liamario

Banned
Anyone else notice in that section where you are fighting in the canal in U2- the bodies of your enemies don't float down the canal like in the PS3 version?
I'm referring to the section near the end of the game.

Reule

100% for both UC1 and UC2! Brutal was pretty easy for the second game but that was to be expected. I'm looking forward to playing UC3 again since I only played it two or three times when it had originally released.

I wish Sony would sell that dynamic theme for pre-ordering the collection from PSN Store. Very classy and that music. I want it so bad.

joelseph

Got an odd one for ya; Coworker recently downloaded the game and cannot figure out how to start the other games in the bundle beyond the first. Can someone give me a quick and dirty explanation so I can pass on the advice? Thanks

Got an odd one for ya; Coworker recently downloaded the game and cannot figure out how to start the other games in the bundle beyond the first. Can someone give me a quick and dirty explanation so I can pass on the advice? Thanks

Possibly the download didn't finish, so he/she can only play the first while the others are still downloading. If not that, then maybe they should delete it and re-download.

mstevens

So I've never played these games before and just picked up the collection. About to start game 1 on hard. Any tips? Do enemies slowly sneak and move toward you like in the last of us, or is camping out in cover pretty safe?

I hear some bosses are pretty rage enduring on hard. Any thoughts on that? I'd hate to start on hard and hit a wall and have to move down to normal.

So I've never played these games before and just picked up the collection. About to start game 1 on hard. Any tips? Do enemies slowly sneak and move toward you like in the last of us, or is camping out in cover pretty safe?

I hear some bosses are pretty rage enduring on hard. Any thoughts on that? I'd hate to start on hard and hit a wall and have to move down to normal.

There aren't really any bosses in the game. 1 is mostly a cover shooter but since it's about waves spawning into arenas you have to be really mindful of enemies flanking you and adjust cover accordingly. They don't sneak though. Headshots are your friend since they can eat a decent amount of body shots, especially with the assault rifles. Don't forget that you can hip fire too, as there's auto aim when you shoot while running around.

2&3 play very very differently from 1 though, and are less about hiding in cover and more about staying mobile and using traversal and melee mixed in with the gunplay. Level design has good verticality too. So don't be discouraged if you're not feeling Drake's Fortune as its pretty rough compared to the sequels.

mstevens

There aren't really any bosses in the game. 1 is mostly a cover shooter but since it's about waves spawning into arenas you have to be really mindful of enemies flanking you and adjust cover accordingly. They don't sneak though. Headshots are your friend since they can eat a decent amount of body shots, especially with the assault rifles. Don't forget that you can hip fire too, as there's auto aim when you shoot while running around.

2&3 play very very differently from 1 though, and are less about hiding in cover and more about staying mobile and using traversal and melee mixed in with the gunplay. Level design has good verticality too. So don't be discouraged if you're not feeling Drake's Fortune as its pretty rough compared to the sequels.

How bad are the checkpoints? One thing I hate is that I like to go slow and careful and that can sometimes lead to me dying towards the end before a checkpoint erasing 10-15 min of work. Nothing bugs me more than feeling of wasted time in a game.

How bad are the checkpoints? One thing I hate is that I like to go slow and careful and that can sometimes lead to me dying towards the end before a checkpoint erasing 10-15 min of work. Nothing bugs me more than feeling of wasted time in a game.

They are pretty frequent, but sometimes you'll have to redo a few waves which can be frustrating. The gameplay isn't slow paced though so arenas can be cleared out quickly.

mstevens

Beat hard and then beat crushing. There were some very annoying parts, but overall it was a great game. I think I would have enjoyed it more on normal.

I'm going to go try and do the same thing for uncharted 2 and 3 (hopefully they aren't harder) and then go back through and do platinum cleanup.

Not going for dlc trophies because brutal mode sounds awful.

Geg

I just started this a few days ago and I'm a good ways into the first game (I just started chapter 12 or 13 I think) and uh... just how much of an improvement is Uncharted 2 over the first? Because honestly this is pretty bad so far.

ctfg23

I just started this a few days ago and I'm a good ways into the first game (I just started chapter 12 or 13 I think) and uh... just how much of an improvement is Uncharted 2 over the first? Because honestly this is pretty bad so far.

2 and 3 are way better. Keep playing and at least try 2.

mstevens

Just finished #2 on hard. I enjoyed it, but thought it dragged on towards the end. I honestly think I enjoyed 1 more because Sully and Elana were in it more and they are my two favorite characters so far. Also, something about the story and setting was more charming to me. I can see how people would like 2 better, though.

Depends on what your issues with 1 are, but the combat, encounters, graphics, level design, and pacing are are all dramatically improved in 2.

The story will be subjective. Most prefer 2 but a lot really like the focus of 1.

mstevens

Up to chapter 19 of my hard (and first) run of uncharted 3. Ballroom wasn't as bad as I thought based on what I heard. Not looking forward to the caravan though.

Stainless

I just bought the game as it was in my wish list and I noticed the price was $28.79 instead of $59.99. It didn't seem to show up in any of the weekly deals this week so just wanted to post in case anyone was waiting for a price drop and $30 or less is their threshold.
(Also picked up Need for Speed which was also in my wish list and part of the EA deals this week.)

Top Bottom