• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UNCHARTED |OT| The Master Thief Collection

I just got owned by the Uncharted 2 :(

I was at the complete end of the game on the 97th treasure which I managed to miss somehow, so I reloaded checkpoint but I was already past that point where I could pick it up.

So I thought, no worries I'll restart the level and I went out of the game and in the level select, the latest level I could choose is lvl 19 while I was at the lvl 25 or 26. Needless to say I was screwed. I tried to restart the game but nothing worked. I mean how the hell do you unlock levels for level select? Shouldn't they be unlocked while I play and complete them? I thought maybe treasure count will stay at the 97 so I could breeze through those few levels, but no it reset down to 68 or something so I need to collect the all over again for the trophy.

Anyone had this happen to them?

foxdvd

Playing through this finally..and I have to say the 60 fps has removed one of the biggest problems I had with the ps3 versions...aim. The game feel so smooth and I easily line up headshots now. I honestly don't know how I am going to feel playing uncharted 4 having been spoiled by the 60 fps on this.

As long as U4 is a rock solid 30fps I don't mind too much, and think the crazy physics are worth the trade off. But going from 60 to 30 is never a fun time.

Seriously stuck on Brutal in Drake's Fortune. Made it to that terrible sewer fight in chapter 5. Managed it on first try on Crushing, can't even get past the first like five guys on Brutal. Anyone have any tips?

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Is it just me or U3 got some really unfair enemy encounters? Just waves of enemies from all sides. Its ridiculous. I'm at chapter 14, I think,
when the ship is sinking,
and god damn, I can't even see them coming sometimes.

Is it just me or U3 got some really unfair enemy encounters? Just waves of enemies from all sides. Its ridiculous. I'm at chapter 14, I think,
when the ship is sinking,
and god damn, I can't even see them coming sometimes.

This is one of the most common complaints people have with th game, so it's not just you

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
This is one of the most common complaints people have with th game, so it's not just you

Yeah, it sucks. I'm liking everything else but the combats get really annoying.

Wagram

Just reran Uncharted 1-3 before 4 comes out. It's very surprising how much one forgets between releases like this. I forgot a lot of the smaller stuff, including some characters.

Okay this is the most frustrating piece of shit game ever on very hard. Enemies doging bullets, headshots not counting, Nathan doing a roll instead of taking cover, Nathan taking cover on the wrong side of the wall, magically spawning enemies that kill you in two shots.....holy fuck.

I still love this game but wow...this is not balanced

Edit: I'm done. The sewers in UC DF are fucking impossible. This is a sad joke .

Edit2: Watched a strategy video on youtube and got past this area, woah

Mash83

Just finished replaying all 3 games. Havent played them since they first came out on PS3. I remember loving UC2 the most but man UC3 was such a huge upgrade in so many ways. Its my new favorite of the trilogy.

I absolutely cannot wait for UC4 at this point.

Enemies in this game:

- spawn out of nowhere and kill you in two shots
- can shoot through walls sometimes and kill you
- don't waste one bullet. Every bullet will hit you, doesn't matter how far away you are
- can dodge bullets like Clark Kent
- will laugh at you when you die
- spamming grenades

Enemies in Uncharted 1 are the worst enemies ever created.

Edit: Oh yes, totally forgot the jet ski level. Worst level ever createt. Abymal controls, enemies shoot you while you can't see them, avoiding explosive barrels...fun!

Okay this is the most frustrating piece of shit game ever on very hard. Enemies doging bullets, headshots not counting, Nathan doing a roll instead of taking cover, Nathan taking cover on the wrong side of the wall, magically spawning enemies that kill you in two shots.....holy fuck.

I still love this game but wow...this is not balanced

Edit: I'm done. The sewers in UC DF are fucking impossible. This is a sad joke .

Edit2: Watched a strategy video on youtube and got past this area, woah

I'm laughing out loud reading this because I just went through this shit on Brutal and you sound exactly like me.

Something that I found helpful is to NOT use the cover mechanic very much. Just press L2 to go into aiming mode, and creep ever so slowly around corners. Doing this, you can effectively engage one enemy at a time in most normal situations.

I'm laughing out loud reading this because I just went through this shit on Brutal and you sound exactly like me.

Something that I found helpful is to NOT use the cover mechanic very much. Just press L2 to go into aiming mode, and creep ever so slowly around corners. Doing this, you can effectively engage one enemy at a time in most normal situations.

Yep, that's the solution. It's like a stealth game on "very hard". Just aim and move forward...very slowly :D

But there are still unfair situations/ areas. On the one hand it's a great experience but on the other hand it's damn frustrating, lol.

Just finished replaying all 3 games. Havent played them since they first came out on PS3. I remember loving UC2 the most but man UC3 was such a huge upgrade in so many ways. Its my new favorite of the trilogy.

U2 is actually my least favorite. Its got wonderful moments for sure, but also A LOT of pacing issues.
U1 is STILL my favorite of the trilogy

Just finished Uncharted 1 for the first time, was really rough around the edges. Started Uncharted 2, man that game really holds up, can't wait to see how good UC3 looks.

Uncharted 1 is also my favorite game of the franchise. Not a fan of the second one (still a great game of course).

Just finished DF on very hard and the ending is so damn cool...the music...goosebumps.

Uncharted 1 is also my favorite game of the franchise. Not a fan of the second one (still a great game of course).

Just finished DF on very hard and the ending is so damn cool...the music...goosebumps.

"I like this one better."

Sully is such a great character.

Almost ready to move onto UC2 myself. Finished Brutal last night, all that's left is to do a speed run as doughnut Drake.

"I like this one better."

Sully is such a great character.

Almost ready to move onto UC2 myself. Finished Brutal last night, all that's left is to do a speed run as doughnut Drake.

Is brutal the last difficulty? Or is it crushing?

Do you need to finish the games on the highest difficulty setting to get the platinum trophy? That would be frustrating because I just finished the game on the second last difficulty ^^

Edit: Yesterday I said the jet ski level is the worst. No, I forgot Borneo and the grenade spamming in UC2. Holy shit. Now I remember why UC2 is the worst of the franchise. The AI and their aim is ridiculous.

Jinjo

Same here man, played 1 & 2 back to back when I bought a PS3 and 2 was something else. I felt a little disappointed by Uncharted 3 back then thinking it was not as good as two but replaying 2 and 3 back to back made my change my mind. Yes 2 has the better settings and story but the gameplay of 3 is loads better and more responsive (atleast with the updated aiming now). Plus where 2 had crazy silly difficulty spikes on normal, UC3 is an absolute blast on hard while still remaining challenging. Gameplay wise 3 wins all the way for me.

I actually quite like the story and the desert setting in this one too. And while the ship level is fucking out of place man is it a fun level to play.

Is brutal the last difficulty? Or is it crushing?

Do you need to finish the games on the highest difficulty setting to get the platinum trophy? That would be frustrating because I just finished the game on the second last difficulty ^^

Edit: Yesterday I said the jet ski level is the worst. No, I forgot Borneo and the grenade spamming in UC2. Holy shit. Now I remember why UC2 is the worst of the franchise. The AI and their aim is ridiculous.

Crushing is the original highest difficulty, Brutal was added in the remaster.
Brutal is not required for the platinum (though it does get you an "extra" trophy outside of it); I think Crushing is.

I also just did the speed run on UC1...I was 1.5 minutes over the required time (!!!) and yet somehow got the trophy for it. What a relief.

Crushing is the original highest difficulty, Brutal was added in the remaster.
Brutal is not required for the platinum (though it does get you an "extra" trophy outside of it); I think Crushing is.

I also just did the speed run on UC1...I was 1.5 minutes over the required time (!!!) and yet somehow got the trophy for it. What a relief.

Nice, thanks :)

Speedruns though....I don't think I'm able to do this, lol.

dankir

Just got the digital version from BoxedDeal.com for $22.50 right now. Still some left in stock if anybody was on the fence.

Well you can always do them on Easy, that's what I did. It comes as something of a relief, haha. But yeah I'm not sure if I'll keep chasing the trophies on 2 and 3. Just want to play them again before 4.

You're right. Maybe I'll give it a try.

The train level in UC2....this fucking train level. I hate it with passion. This is so trial&error, especially on crushing difficulty.

And fuck the
heli

Hait the train level? Trial and error? The fuck you smoking breh. Dying a lot =/ trial and error either. Trial and error is when you are given no reasonable information or preperation for a threat you've never encountered before, and no clear solution, and you just have to keep trying random things until you figure out how to do that.

Nothing in the train is this, because it's clearly building on all the mechanics and design of the whole game up until that point, and it telegraphs and signposts new threats and solutions for you.

Just finished 3, that concludes my playthrough of the trilogy in preparation for 4.

3 is still my favourite I think. Great pacing, great locations, great combat.

Hait the train level? Trial and error? The fuck you smoking breh. Dying a lot =/ trial and error either. Trial and error is when you are given no reasonable information or preperation for a threat you've never encountered before, and no clear solution, and you just have to keep trying random things until you figure out how to do that.

Nothing in the train is this, because it's clearly building on all the mechanics and design of the whole game up until that point, and it telegraphs and signposts new threats and solutions for you.

The
helicopter
part is pretty much the definition of trial and error. I'm playing this game on "crushing" diffculty and it often is very unfair. Don't get me wrong, I love the Uncharted games and I love Uncharted 2 but there are areas that don't work that well. It's the weakest game in the trilogy (imo) but it's still a wonderful experience. I'm actually liking the games more while I'm playing on higher difficulties...which is odd because it's very frustrating at the same time, lol.

How is the helicopter trial and error? Everything about is telegraphed. It being able to kill you really quickly on crushing diffoculty is not the same thing as trial and error.

Jinjo

The
helicopter
part is pretty much the definition of trial and error. I'm playing this game on "crushing" diffculty and it often is very unfair. Don't get me wrong, I love the Uncharted games and I love Uncharted 2 but there are areas that don't work that well. It's the weakest game in the trilogy (imo) but it's still a wonderful experience. I'm actually liking the games more while I'm playing on higher difficulties...which is odd because it's very frustrating at the same time, lol.

So true, I had so much trouble with the train level this time. Can't remember it was like that last time, or I was just blinded by the looks of the level.

Even the controls sometimes respond very weird in UC2 lol

Uncharted 2 is the only game where I feel that the enemies are using cheats. The game constantly gives you the finger.

They know exactly where you are. Every fucking time, it's like they're using wallhack. Combined with an infinite amount of grenades they throw at you....it's an absolute joke. And I think this game doesn't deserve a higher score than U1 and U2 because of this. It's horrible design.

Huh? Uncharted 2 is like the only one where you can break line of sight with the enemies. It's combat is better than DF in every way...well every aspect of the game is better than DF

Huh? Uncharted 2 is like the only one where you can break line of sight with the enemies. It's combat is better than DF in every way...well every aspect of the game is better than DF

Is this really true? I could never break line of sight and the combat felt worse to me (because of the points I've already mentioned + grenade spamming, armored guys, minigun guys, bullet sponge enemies, etc etc.) .

I don't know. I think DF is way more fun to play and AT also has the weakest story (of all three games) imo.

Is this really true? I could never break line of sight and the combat felt worse to me (because of the points I've already mentioned + grenade spamming, armored guys, minigun guys, bullet sponge enemies, etc etc.) .

I don't know. I think DF is way more fun to play and AT also has the weakest story (of all three games) imo.

I never really noticed grenade spamming. The only one where they throw lots of grenades is in 3 and that's because you have the throw back mechanic. Enemies also take fewer hits to kill than DF, and the armored and minigun guys add some much needed enemy variety and serve to keep you mobile in combat (the guardians suck though). And of course the level and encounter design is leagues ahead in 2, where every fight is unique and has verticality, interesting routes, set pieces, escalation, etc. Drake's Fortune fights are mostly flat arenas with wave based combat against the same few enemies.

Story in 2 is overall the best of the three I's say. It has the most fleshed out cast and solid epression of themes and character traits, and is the best paced as well. 3 has a more interesting introspective take and existential themes which I really like, but the pacing is kinda fucked and a lot of the side characters are really under developed.

I did used to like Drake's Fortune more than 2 when 2 first came out. The single location, the introduction to all the characters, and just all the good times I had playing it over and over again and being blown away by the presentation had a powerful effect. But over the years after replaying the series more and more I've settled into 2>3>1, and the Nathan Drake collection just further cemented that.

I never really noticed grenade spamming. The only one where they throw lots of grenades is in 3 and that's because you have the throw back mechanic. Enemies also take fewer hits to kill than DF, and the armored and minigun guys add some much needed enemy variety and serve to keep you mobile in combat (the guardians suck though). And of course the level and encounter design is leagues ahead in 2, where every fight is unique and has verticality, interesting routes, set pieces, escalation, etc. Drake's Fortune fights are mostly flat arenas with wave based combat against the same few enemies.

Story in 2 is overall the best of the three I's say. It has the most fleshed out cast and solid epression of themes and character traits, and is the best paced as well. 3 has a more interesting introspective take and existential themes which I really like, but the pacing is kinda fucked and a lot of the side characters are really under developed.

I did used to like Drake's Fortune more than 2 when 2 first came out. The single location, the introduction to all the characters, and just all the good times I had playing it over and over again and being blown away by the presentation had a powerful effect. But over the years after replaying the series more and more I've settled into 2>3>1, and the Nathan Drake collection just further cemented that.

The only pacing problem in 3 is Syria, imo. Everything else is amazing. I love the slow beginning and young Nate.
And I actually like the first part of Uncharted 2 more than the second part. It's an amazing game until you arrive at the small village (after the train). The pacing was perfect but after that it get's a bit repetitive (long combat sections, too much action).

The first part of 3's pacing is really good (barring Syria). The entire Chateau level may be the best paced sequence in the franchise, with a pitch perfect balance of gunplay, exploration, puzzles, plot/character moments, and brilliant set piece that culminates into absurd spectacle. But once you get to the shipyard the game becomes almost exclusively firefights, barring the desert. There's no brilliant pacing section like the one two punch of the where am I/ Ice caves, which is a sublime bit of low key gameplay after the train. Even the stuff at the monestary when it becomes more action heavy, still has plenty of cutscenes, quiet traversal moments, and a few puzzles in between.

Uncharted 3 just felt like it raced to the ending and it didn't even bother trying to make Salim into anything other than a plot device. I was hoping we'd get some nice low key gameplay and character building with him ala Tenzin before racing off to the finale, but nope.

The first part of 3's pacing is really good (barring Syria). The entire Chateau level may be the best paced sequence in the franchise, with a pitch perfect balance of gunplay, exploration, puzzles, plot/character moments, and brilliant set piece that culminates into absurd spectacle. But once you get to the shipyard the game becomes almost exclusively firefights, barring the desert. There's no brilliant pacing section like the one two punch of the where am I/ Ice caves, which is a sublime bit of low key gameplay after the train. Even the stuff at the monestary when it becomes more action heavy, still has plenty of cutscenes, quiet traversal moments, and a few puzzles in between.

Uncharted 3 just felt like it raced to the ending and it didn't even bother trying to make Salim into anything other than a plot device. I was hoping we'd get some nice low key gameplay and character building with him ala Tenzin before racing off to the finale, but nope.

I can't say you're wrong. I would even agree with everything you said but...hmm...I still think Uncharted 3 is the better game (probably just personal preferece because I like the setting more ). The second part of U3 is pretty similar to U2 in terms of structure and gameplay but I love the slow walk through the desert and I love the shipyard (the location was so cool). I even like the last section of the game because it wasn't as supernatural as U1 or U2. It does make sense actually (I'm talking about the "water").
I agree about the characters, especially Cutter and Chloe left the game too soon and I thought 'WTF, they were both great charakters, why do they disappear and why do you never see them again?' (in this game). That was really odd. But I think I've heard a story where the guy who speaks Cutter left production? Still a weird decision.....they could have hired another guy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Uncharted 3. And what bothers me isn't what's (the shipyard and desert are both very good) but what isn't (ie some extra down time, character development, puzzles, exploration in the second half, and the hit reactions they took out of 2). There are some shitty encounters in there, but 3 is a really great game despite its flaws, and a worthy sequel in the series. If it has another hour or two of well paced gameplay/story to polish it up it would be a lot closer between 2&3.

Now Uncharted 4 tho...that's gonna be something else entirely. It's like my idealized Uncharted come to life.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Uncharted 3. And what bothers me isn't what's (the shipyard and desert are both very good) but what isn't (ie some extra down time, character development, puzzles, exploration in the second half, and the hit reactions they took out of 2). There are some shitty encounters in there, but 3 is a really great game despite its flaws, and a worthy sequel in the series. If it has another hour or two of well paced gameplay/story to polish it up it would be a lot closer between 2&3.

Now Uncharted 4 tho...that's gonna be something else entirely. It's like my idealized Uncharted come to life.

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about the hit detection in 3....that was strange. It just doesnt't feel right. But at least they made the AK47 (or all automatic guns) very strong in this game. I like it.

Uncharted 4....my most anticipated game of the year. But I'm afraid they let either Sully, Elena or Nathan die. That would be terrible. The series is known for it's humour and light-hearted atmosphere (despite some cruel or creepy scenes) just like Indiana Jones. It would really feel out of place if someone from the main cast dies.
This series should end on a high note.

Yeah 3 has the best guns and weapon sounds in the series for sure. But the hit detections are baffeling so the gunplay still feels like a step back.

I don't care who Druckmann kills to be honest. It's the last game in the series and he has shown himself more than capable of his writing abilities and he has a firm handle on the tone and feel of the series. Everything we've seen from 4 has been pitch perfect. So as long as the deaths fit the story it'll be all good, and he obviously wouldn't do it in a gut punchingly brutal Last of Us way. Like I could see Sully going out like a boss and sacrificing himself to save Nate and saying something like "see you in the next life, kid" before he chomps on his cigar and crashes his plane into the bad guy or something.

Yeah 3 has the best guns and weapon sounds in the series for sure. But the hit detections are baffeling so the gunplay still feels like a step back.

I don't care who Druckmann kills to be honest. It's the last game in the series and he has shown himself more than capable of his writing abilities and he has a firm handle on the tone and feel of the series. Everything we've seen from 4 has been pitch perfect. So as long as the deaths fit the story it'll be all good, and he obviously wouldn't do it in a gut punchingly brutal Last of Us way. Like I could see Sully going out like a boss and sacrificing himself to save Nate and saying something like "see you in the next life, kid" before he chomps on his cigar and crashes his plane into the bad guy or something.

That's true but it I'm pretty sure I wouldn't enjoy future replays of U 1-3 if Sully, Nathan or Elena dies. None of the characters deserve this to be honest. In U3 there's a sequence where
they want you to believe that Sully dies. That was cruel and I was so happy that it was a hallucination. If Sully dies in 4 my thought's would be "Cool, he survived...but he dies soon anyway" *sad face*

The same goes for Nathan an Elena (U2 had a similar sequence at the end).

In my opinion it doesn't really fit into these games even if the execution works in this particular scene/ moment.

That's true but it I'm pretty sure I wouldn't enjoy future replays of U 1-3 if Sully, Nathan or Elena dies. None of the characters deserve this to be honest. In U3 there's a sequence where
they want you to believe that Sully dies. That was cruel and I was so happy that it was a hallucination. If Sully dies in 4 my thought's would be "Cool, he survived...but he dies soon anyway" *sad face*

The same goes for Nathan an Elena (U2 had a similar sequence at the end).

In my opinion it doesn't really fit into these games even if the execution works in this particular scene/ moment.

Also Sully's early "death" at the beginning of UC1, though of course it doesn't have nearly the emotional impact since you just met him.

On the topic of real deaths, though, I guess I'll trust them to treat the story and characters appropriately. I'd love a happy ending, but I think whatever happens will be probably be handled well.

Started UC2 on the remaster tonight. Forgot how much I love this game and its setting(s). Still my favorite of the series.

Also, leaving this shot here:

0jSoEmD.jpg
Love photo mode, and Doughnut Drake's got some swagger.

Doughnut Drake is the best.

Are you allowed to use the unlockables (weapons) on higher difficulties to get the trophy?
I wasn't sure so I didn't use them.

I forgot Sully's "death" in U1 but your post reminds me how cool the first game was. So damn underrated. The pacing was great, the story was cool (I even love the last third of the game, nice change of pace ....horror sequence out of nowhere) and it has the best "boss fight". It's just cool to watch, not even frustrating but not easy at the same time. It's not a typical bossfight.
Also, the best ending of the trilogy.

A whole lot of the frustrations can be addressed with some simplen'git gud'. Nah, some encounters in the games are bullshit on Crushing and Brutal especially, but didn't have too much trouble with anything on Crushing. On PS3 I couldn't for the life of me get passed the airplane crash on U1. Those waves of enemies combined with my starting that checkpoint with basically no ammo was rage quitting material, but the 60fps bunch did wonders with getting easy headshots and passing those kinds of the areas.

Doughnut Drake is the best.

Are you allowed to use the unlockables (weapons) on higher difficulties to get the trophy?
I wasn't sure so I didn't use them.

I forgot Sully's "death" in U1 but your post reminds me how cool the first game was. So damn underrated. The pacing was great, the story was cool (I even love the last third of the game, nice change of pace ....horror sequence out of nowhere) and it has the best "boss fight". It's just cool to watch, not even frustrating but not easy at the same time. It's not a typical bossfight.
Also, the best ending of the trilogy.

Agree 100%. First game takes some heat around here sometimes, but I love it, supernatural elements included (in fact that is one of my favorite parts, just like an Indiana Jones movie with the supernatural stuff towards the end).

With weapon select and stuff like that, they aren't available on a given difficulty mode until you've beaten that mode. Though I did go back and use the weapon select to get a few of the X kills with X weapon trophies.

Agree 100%. First game takes some heat around here sometimes, but I love it, supernatural elements included (in fact that is one of my favorite parts, just like an Indiana Jones movie with the supernatural stuff towards the end).

With weapon select and stuff like that, they aren't available on a given difficulty mode until you've beaten that mode. Though I did go back and use the weapon select to get a few of the X kills with X weapon trophies.

That's really strange. I might have a bug, lol. I unlocked weapons on normal difficulty (I've played every game on normal first) but I can activate them on "crushing" difficulty. I just tried it (didn't save).

@ U1: Probably the thing I love the most in Uncharted Drakes Fortune: It all takes place in one location. It's a real journey/ adventure. I don't know if this comparison is fair but Uncharted 1 is as replayable as Resident evil 4 (for me at least). It's not a long game, the pacing is very good and it's just a joy to play.
In U2 and U3 there are areas that I really hate. I like to replay these games but I always think "No, please not...just let me get past this section". I can't remember any area in U1 where I would say the same. Okay, the Jet-Ski part is hard on higher difficulty...it's frustrating. But it's actually very easy compared to some areas in U2 and U3 (Yeah I know...I've complained about the Jet-Ski part not long ago but I just finished U2 on "crushing" and it was horrible, lol).

That's really strange. I might have a bug, lol. I unlocked weapons on normal difficulty (I've played every game on normal first) but I can activate them on "crushing" difficulty. I just tried it (didn't save).

@ U1: Probably the thing I love the most in Uncharted Drakes Fortune: It all takes place in one location. It's a real journey/ adventure. I don't know if this comparison is fair but Uncharted 1 is as replayable as Resident evil 4 (for me at least). It's not a long game, the pacing is very good and it's just a joy to play.
In U2 and U3 there are areas that I really hate. I like to replay these games but I always think "No, please not...just let me get past this section". I can't remember any area in U1 where I would say the same. Okay, the Jet-Ski part is hard on higher difficulty...it's frustrating. But it's actually very easy compared to some areas in U2 and U3 (Yeah I know...I've complained about the Jet-Ski part not long ago but I just finished U2 on "crushing" and it was horrible, lol).

I could be wrong about the guns, too! Though I really thought that was the case, who knows haha.

I would say the only area I dread in UC1 is that sewer/cistern level at the end of chapter 5. Torturous on the high difficulties. Can't remember what areas I had trouble with in the others...will find out soon enough!

nortonff

Just got to the ghost town in U3. Amazing chapter.

What do you do against those motherfucking son of a bitch shield guys in Uncharted 3 on crushing? I swear I'd kill them multiple times if I could.
It's impossible. You can't hit them, you die in 1-2 shots and you can't meele them. What the fuck

Top Bottom