• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UNCHARTED: The Nathan Drake Collection gameplay - DEMO on 29th WEEEE

Drake's Fortune continues to show why it's the best in the series (best locations, best story, no Chloe)
no Chloe
high-five-o.gif

no Chloe

Absolute worst thing about uncharted 2(and there was hardly anything else wrong with that game).
The only problem with the series is that she hasn't been killed off yet. A 5 second cutscene of her dying painfully in uncharted 4 right at the start even before you reach the menu would be great.

Cleve

This looks a lot better than I expected (and a lot better than UC1 actually looked.) Have they said what exactly they've improved in terms of assets?

OneUh8

Day 1 easily. So excited to finally play all of these. I only played like 4-5 hours of the first game a while back. I am ready!

Darknight

Someone should do like some comparisons with new gameplay for UC1.

Looks "odd" because its 60FPS. Even when driving through Jungle, it looks out of wack like it wasnt meant to be run that fast lol.

I can't tell if the animations weren't up to snuff or if the game looks really weird in 60fps, but something looks way off about the gameplay to me.

Watching it there is something that feels a bit "bizarre" to it after so many hours playing them at 30fps so it seems unusual.

I looks great though.

dEvAnGeL

any gaffers with some serious editing skills here? it would be cool if anyone could put a comparison video of U1, side by side same scenes from the gameplay demo, funny thing is the game looks just like i remember it but i know it looks better, does that makes any sense? lol

UC1's textures still look pretty good (although, waaay too ´shiny). But man did the animation and modeling not age well.

I agree. That facial animation is very cartoony, which is oft-putting compared to the sequels. Also, it seems like there is no sub surface scattering for the skin on the characters.

CHC

Man I'm so excited for this.

Pretty nice that the demo is one of the best parts of the whole series too.

I remember playing the hell out of that original Uncharted 2 demo on my lunch break when I used to work right near the Sony Store, but didn't have a PS3 yet. Was pretty cool.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
UC1's textures still look pretty good (although, waaay too ´shiny). But man did the animation and modeling not age well.
Aren't Drake and Elena models here practically brand new? Drake especially doesn't look like actual UC1 Drake at all (and looks way better here), but I thought Eddie for example looked not so great here. I disagree about the animation. The pirates' overreactions to everything still look just as endearing as ever, and facial animations has that slightly cartoony look that I think aged pretty well.

any gaffers with some serious editing skills here? it would be cool if anyone could put a comparison video of U1, side by side same scenes from the gameplay demo, funny thing is the game looks just like i remember it but i know it looks better, does that makes any sense? lol
I know exactly what you mean. When I played Ico remaster on PS3, it "looked just as I remembered". Then I played it on PS2 for kicks (on a big screen HDTV) and wanted to barf. Our memory of things makes them look way better than they in reality do, and it takes significant improvements to an old release to make it match that ideal that we're remembering.

Revven

Animation definitely stands out the most, pretty huge gap between it and UC2/3.

Yeah, the animations for rolling, climbing, running, etc. are all very quick and not as smooth as UC2/UC3. They are very... well... cartoony in a way, not very realistic in the way Drake should be expected to move. Sure, in 2007 this was fine but once UC2 and 3 dropped you can immediately tell the animations are off.

I was wondering if they'd at least fix them up to make them look better since they were making the game 60 FPS but I guess not. Maybe they didn't want to touch them for fear of messing something up in the process either that or the animations themselves would be very convoluted to polish.

Zaki2407

Ok, now I can finally finished UC1...(on PS4).
I finished UC2, UC3 and GA. But I don't know why couldn't finished UC1 back then......
that 60fps sure looks yummy ^_^

stryke

Aren't Drake and Elena models here practically brand new?

They've had some shading and texture improvements, but the polygons are pretty much 1:1 which seems kinda puzzling as they claim you can switch characters in all three games so why not substitute in a higher poly UC1 Drake model...?

Synless

I really don't understand the hate for Uncharted 3. The game wasn't up the bar set by the second game, but what was going to be? Uncharted 2 was a masterpiece! The 3rd game might have been a disappointing game coming from 2, but it was a masterful action game compared to almost all other action adventure games that came out last gen.

Reebot

Yeah, but Drake sounds like he's having a good time.

I don't get this complaint. If it is a complaint, I dunno maybe you're just pointing it out.

The game's obviously just shooting for a sense of escapist fun. And violence can be fun. No one wants heavy emotional baggage in this kind of thing.

Walpurgis

Banned
Drake's Fortune continues to show why it's the best in the series (best locations, best story, no Chloe)

no Chloe
high-five-o.gif

no Chloe

Absolute worst thing about uncharted 2(and there was hardly anything else wrong with that game).
The only problem with the series is that she hasn't been killed off yet. A 5 second cutscene of her dying painfully in uncharted 4 right at the start even before you reach the menu would be great.

Good lord, what is wrong with you two?

~Kinggi~

Banned
The quality of the Uncharted games are pretty legendary and to have all 3 in a quality remaster is good shit, especially right before #4 releases. Definitely buying this and replaying through all 3.

I really don't understand the hate for Uncharted 3. The game wasn't up the bar set by the second game, but what was going to be? Uncharted 2 was a masterpiece! The 3rd game might have been a disappointing game coming from 2, but it was a masterful action game compared to almost all other action adventure games that came out last gen.

I think the initial controls, and sub-par pacing really turned a lot of people off.

It's an objectively good game in its own right, but it's basically a lesser version of Uncharted 2 with no real notable improvements to progress the series forward.

Uncharted 2 had much better control, pacing, and improvements to the series. UC3 in comparison felt strangely off.

UC3 is the only Uncharted game I've only managed to play through once, meanwhile I played through UC1/2 multiple times.

farisr

Uncharted 2 had much better control, pacing, and improvements to the series. UC3 in comparison felt strangely off.

UC3 is the only Uncharted game I've only managed to play through once, meanwhile I played through UC1/2 multiple times.

Also, the extra campaign modifiers that unlocked after beating uncharted 1 &2 were not present, (cheats, SP skins etc). That was one of the main factors why I didn't replay 3. I wouldn't have minded facing those bullet sponge enemies again if I had an infinite ammo tweak I could enable.

We at least know that SP skins can be applied across all games. I hope this means tweaks are in for all 3 games as well. Really adds to the replayability.

Not uncharted related, but I already know that once I've done a legit playthrough of MGSV on the PS4, I'll probably buy the PC version cheap sometime later and play through it again with mods for maximum fun.

Loudninja

Also, the extra campaign modifiers that unlocked after beating uncharted 1 &2 were not present, (cheats, SP skins etc). That was one of the main factors why I didn't replay 3. I wouldn't have minded facing those bullet sponge enemies again if I had an infinite ammo tweak I could enable.

We at least know that SP skins can be applied across all games. I hope this means tweaks are in for all 3 games as well. Really adds to the replayability.

Not uncharted related, but I already know that once I've done a legit playthrough of MGSV on the PS4, I'll probably buy the PC version cheap sometime later and play through it again with mods for maximum fun.
Btw they adding new skins to the collection like more doughnut characters.

Photomode is going to be pretty hilarious

weevles

Can't wait! I don't even remember that chase sequence ever taking that long...almost wish I hadn't watched so much of it....

x-Lundz-x

Based bluepoint. Man it's going to be amazing having eh improved combat in UC1. And they did a lot of work, it looks fantastic. Can't wait.

Elena 😍.

Lets not forget the overall polish. Everything in Uncharted 2, from multiplayer and co-op to single player was top class. It was clear that co-op in Uncharted 3 was thrown together last minute and it came off as very cheap and unpolished. It really bothered me from the weird glitches and clipping animation issues in co-op that it felt more like an afterthought to the single player and competitive play. We know the game was rushed now, but even at launch I could tell that it definitely wasn't as polished as 2 was.

Best wishes.

Top Bottom