• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale is [has won] the GameFAQs Best. Game. Ever. poll

Rematch: Best video game character of all time?

Results are only viewable after voting.

213372bu

Banned
It's almost like 4chan and parts of Reddit that try to act like 4chan got together to pick a game that will cause salt for the nth year in a row and trolled the results.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Biggest Meme Game of All Time awards.

I miss those old GFAQs character battles where it was like Sephiroth vs. Tetris Block :(

i feel the same way. it came out quite a while ago but only just noticed gaf being crazy over it like a month ago. it's niche enough that i think it's going to end up like spec ops the line is today where gaf in particular loves it but most people don't have an opinion or ignore it.

It only sold like 3,000 copies to non-Kickstarter backers when it launched, then word of mouth started to spread and sales kept rising day by day to the point where it will have done half a million copies by Xmas, all with no paid advertising.

I think if it comes to consoles it will do well too.

JPLMD

I honestly don't know what's sadder: people being so upset over a popularity poll on a website or the fandom actually rallying, taking the contest so seriously and spending the time to try and win a poll on said website.

A-V-B

It only sold like 3,000 copies to non-Kickstarter backers when it launched, then word of mouth started to spread and sales kept rising day by day to the point where it will have done half a million copies by Xmas, all with no paid advertising.

It could do well on phones, too. Just depends on what Toby wants to do, I guess.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I've only been cursory following this, but I find it hilarious. The only thing better would be if Undertale like beat Sephiroth for best game character/villian of all time just to see Gamefaqs - which feels like a message board time capsule from 1998 - implode.

Jerry winning would be funny.

Undertale is my Game of the Year, and probably the best game I've played for a good few before that. I have absolutely no problem with this.
I honestly don't know what's sadder: people being so upset over a popularity poll on a website or the fandom actually rallying, taking the contest so seriously and spending the time to try and win a poll on said website.
I've noticed far more of a concerted effort to stop Undertale winning than to push it. It hasn't helped.

Fou-Lu

I voted for Undertale. I honestly think it is a better game than OoT.

It's the first non-Mother game that has ever made me feel so close to what the Mother series made me feel.

Red Hood

Banned
Yes, I couldn't be more biased, but this is ridiculous. I'm sure Undertale is a great game if the internet is something to go by, but best game of all time? That seems a bit excessive if not way too early. Game of the year even? A year with Witcher 3 and Bloodborne? I don't know.

I'm about to play it very soon, so for all I know I'll eat crow soon and jump on the GOAT wagon.

Ferrio

Banned
Voted for Undertale. Probably my GotY. So it was an easy choice since I didn't like OoT.

That said, the fanbase could tone it down just wee bit.

El Odio

Banned

I always thought the likelihood of it coming to consoles was incredibly low due to the way the game manipulates it's own data and breaks the forth wall with it. I don't understand why people on either side seem to be freak out about this poll though. It's fucking gamefaqs.

A-V-B

Yes, I couldn't be more biased, but this is ridiculous. I'm sure Undertale is a great game if the internet is something to go by, but best game of all time? That seems a bit excessive if not way too early. Game of the year even? A year with Witcher 3 and Bloodborne? I don't know.

I'm about to play it very soon, so for all I know I'll eat crow soon and jump on the GOAT wagon.

Obviously the poll doesn't mean anything, man :p

Nightbird

Y6l6O7kl.jpg

WILD

Best troll ever

Agreed.

I'm seeing a lot of friends laughing at how stupid and salty GameFAQS is, and they are, but they are ignoring all the petty people who have been rallying for Undertale to spite

Jolkien

I really need to check that game. The hideous art style really put me off at first glance but I like RPG so much it'd be a shame to pass it up. I added it to my steam wishlist. I'll get around it eventually.

Jigorath

Banned
I'll get around to Undertail eventually, I'm sure I'll like it.

I'm glad the industry has gotten to a point where a game like Undertale can exist and be successful.

We were at this point last gen. Braid, Limbo, etc. Indie darlings finding strong financial success isn't really new.

We were at this point last gen. Braid, Limbo, etc. Indie darlings finding strong financial success isn't really new.

I know. I'm not saying Undertale started this. But, unlike the games you mentioned, Undertale has found its success almost completely by word of mouth. Games like Braid and Limbo were heavily promoted by a large publisher.

I just also appreciate that OoT doesn't win, not because it isn't one of my favorites games of all time, but because seriously, there are better zelda games, including Okami. About time people who were 6 years old in the N64 and PS1 era stop pushing OoT and FFVII as the pinnacle of the medium.

Oh, GameFAQS, that takes me back.

Back to days I never want to return, nostalgic though they may seem. I used to be pretty invested in these contests.

kami_sama

I learnt of it a month after it launched. And it was due to all the fanart on the web. I finally bought it because I didn't want to spoil myself.

bender

What time is it?
I don't understand why people on either side seem to be freak out about this poll though. It's fucking gamefaqs.

Ocarina of Time is a sacred cow in a lot of internet circles. While I'm not a fan, I can understand the love it gets.

Brakke

Banned
Saw this in Kotaku. It's hard for me to take pleasure in the salt. I just feel so bad for the knuckleheads for being dumb (or for being such weak-ass trolls).

I didn't play this game yet. Hope to get to it over Christmastime.

Zader

Banned
I doubt the majority of those voters actually believe it anyway, they just know it'll make a bunch of people mad if Undertale wins.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Saw this in Kotaku. It's hard for me to take pleasure in the salt. I just feel so bad for the knuckleheads for being dumb (or for being such weak-ass trolls).

I didn't play this game yet. Hope to get to it over Christmastime.

Yeah don't care about all the "lol salty" posts but I enjoy the exposure the game is getting considering I liked it quite a bit.

I think we're getting to a point where a good indie game is just a good game. Sure they don't draw as much attention as AAA big budget titles but I've noticed GOTY nominations are placing them in legitimate categories rather than the nebulous indie pool.

Domaje

never played undertale. voted for undertale.
Oh well. People talk shit about games that they almost never played, so I guess it's ok if people vote for games that they never played. /s

I only played Undertale's demo but I was expecting something more. I don't know what, I had ultra high expectations and the game while intresting and fun wasn't that good... Maybe the final game is better, but the demo for me was a bit boring.

A-V-B

Oh well. People talk shit about games that they almost never played, so I guess it's ok if people vote for games that they never played. /s

I only played Undertale's demo but I was expecting something more. I don't know what, I had ultra high expectations and the game while intresting and fun wasn't that good... Maybe the final game is better, but the demo for me was a bit boring.

The demo is the tutorial level :p

kewlmyc

I would be happy for the game if I didn't know that the use of botting helped it get this far. Good game regardless though.

Agree with others in this thread that people are taking this way too seriously, on both sides.

Kinda think the "lol salt" posts are lame no matter where they're from, but for what it's worth, Undertale is one of the only games that gave me legitimate goosebumps. I actually don't remember another game that did that. I wouldn't say it's my favorite game of all time, but it's definitely one of the Top 10 I'd say.

It was one of my most anticipated titles of 2015, and unquestionably my game of the year, but this Gamefaqs stuff just a silly, meaningless popularity contest. The only time I hear about their polls is when they are getting trolled, and some nostalgic IPs are getting shafted in the process. I'll be glad when the poll is over and done with. My twitter feed has been getting too many tweets trying to organise votes against Undertale over a week now.

Extra exposure is nice, but I fear stuff like this is only going to create some negative associations to the game as a result though. There have been too many folks dismissing it as a SJW or Tumblr game in the past, and we had a fair few reactionary statements about the game when it was reviewing better than Half Life 2 for a while. If you play the game with the mindset of 'is this better than Half-Life 2/Ocarina of Time/Insert your favourite game here', you're probably not going to get much out of it other than reasons why it isn't. This poll is just going to be a drop in the over-hyping bucket, and that's unfortunate.

I can't get past
the muffet spider boss battle
. Any quick tips?
Stock up on healing items, and pay attention to the
little spider's signs. It'll tell you which volley of attacks are coming up next. If you're especially bad at certain parts, you can pay a bit to make these parts slightly easier. I recommend keeping your money and spending it when you see the muffin icon though.

If you want to cheese it
buy a spider donut or a spider cider from the ruins. It'll be a long journey back, but it allows you to basically skip the fight if you eat it in battle. The reason she has a beef with you is because she thinks you're anti-spider, and being a patron to the ruins' wares will make her see that you're cool.
*edit*
According to Infinite Nine you can scratch that last part. If you don't have any in your inventory yet, this avenue is closed.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
It was one of my most anticipated titles of 2015, and unquestionably my game of the year, but this Gamefaqs stuff just a silly, meaningless popularity contest. The only time I hear about their polls is when they are getting trolled, and some nostalgic IPs are getting shafted in the process. I'll be glad when the poll is over and done with. My twitter feed has been getting too many tweets trying to organise votes against Undertale over a week now.

Extra exposure is nice, but I fear stuff like this is only going to create some negative associations to the game as a result though. There have been too many folks dismissing it as a SJW or Tumblr game in the past, and we had a fair few reactionary statements about the game when it was reviewing better than Half Life 2 for a while. If you play the game with the mindset of 'is this better than Half-Life 2/Ocarina of Time/Insert your favourite game here', you're probably not going to get much out of it other than reasons why it isn't. This poll is just going to be a drop in the over-hyping bucket, and that's unfortunate.

Stock up on healing items, and pay attention to the
little spider's signs. It'll tell you which volley of attacks are coming up next. If you're especially bad at certain parts, you can pay a bit to make these parts slightly easier. I recommend keeping your money and spending it when you see the muffin icon though.

If you want to cheese it
buy a spider donut or a spider cider from the ruins. It'll be a long journey back, but it allows you to basically skip the fight if you eat it in battle. The reason she has a beef with you is because she thinks you're anti-spider, and being a patron to the ruins' wares will make her see that you're cool.

You can't go back to The Ruins at this point in the game.

Tumblr and some of 4chan is raiding the poll for undertale.

I don't know what to think, I really enjoyed undertale but OOT is like my number 1 game of all time.

Something tells me we would all forget about undertale pretty soon and it may just be a flavor of the month/year type of thing...

At the same time though I don't care too much about a gamefaqs poll lol.

I guarantee Undertale is forgotten a year from now. Messing with GameFAQs is funny though, so I approve.

Nose Master

It shouldn't get me riled up cause it's gamefaqs, but it kind of does. Undertale is a bad game with a few cool, unique mechanics that grew an insane fanbase overnight. No one will even remember it exists in six months.

It shouldn't get me riled up cause it's gamefaqs, but it kind of does. Undertale is a bad game with a few cool, unique mechanics that grew an insane fanbase overnight. No one will even remember it exists in six months.

Yeah, I doubt that. Especially if it comes to more platforms.

Top Bottom