• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale is [has won] the GameFAQs Best. Game. Ever. poll

Rematch: Best video game character of all time?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Arcia

Banned
CUh76nmWEAE2_N-.png

Do your JOB, Allen.

I guarantee Undertale is forgotten a year from now. Messing with GameFAQs is funny though, so I approve.
Nah, I don't think so. The Earthbound comparison's an apt one in a lot of ways, and that's hardly forgotten.
CUh76nmWEAE2_N-.png

Do your JOB, Allen.
It goes without saying, of course, but I love how many of the people who are angry about this haven't played or watched a second of the game, and are getting it ENTIRELY wrong.

Tagyhag

Lol, the game was okay. Not mind-blowing, but good. Weird that the following behind it is so extreme.

Did you get all 3 endings? That's when it becomes mind-blowing.

A lot of people just get through the neutral ending and never go back to the game, so they don't realize its full potential.

dickroach

I guarantee Undertale is forgotten a year from now.

I don't think so. he'd be crazy not to try + port it to con$oles at this point. that'll take a minute.
that+Steam sales means there's a potential audience of millions that still have yet to get around to playing the game.

jgminto

It's funny seeing the hate and conspiracy threads on gamefaqs when Undertale was my genuine pick for all of its matches. I probably wouldn't vote for it over games like Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3 and Silent Hill 2 but it never went head to head with any of those, I guess that speaks to the tastes of the general gamefaqs voters. Even so, Undertale is certain to become a modern classic and deserves the votes it gets. When a game makes me not want reset and attempt another story route because of how much I care for all the characters, that's the sign of an amazing game.

I don't think so. he'd be crazy not to try + port it to con$oles at this point. that'll take a minute.
that+Steam sales means there's a potential audience of millions that still have yet to get around to playing the game.
There's a lot of stuff in Undertale that simply wouldn't work outside of PC. The minute-to-minute gameplay would work fine, but a lot of what makes the game interesting would need to be heavily altered.

Haunted

Is this like the time when moot (4chan mod) led TIME's most influential person in the world poll?

I believe that ruffled some feathers as well :lol

People actually getting upset over an internet poll is hilarious. Not as hilarious as when Launchpad McQuack won that one poll on Gfaqs, but hilarious still.

You can't really port Undertale to consoles due to platform restrictions.

While I don't think it's the best game of all time personally, it sure as hell crushes every other game it has been up against sans (*wink*) perhaps SMW.

Definite GOTY if nothing else. Sad to see that so many people need to be fed PR and brand recognition in order to accept greatness.

T.E.D

Banned
The whole premise of this poll is laughable. There is no such thing as a "best game ever" and the only people this poll appeals to is the irrational. A more apt approach would be to have a competition with regards to each genre. So, for example:

Best FPS of all time: Half Life series.
Best Adventure game of all time:
Best sports game of all time:
Best RPG of all time:
Best JRPG etc etc

Also I'm pretty sure every Gamefaqs poll has been sabotaged by outside people, they should probably expect this at this point

But if it makes dumb nerds upset then by all means

NewGame

Banned
As is tradition for GameFAQs. I remember their meltdown over a League Of Legends character winning a big Best Character contest a few years back.

I remember the meltdown when Tails didn't win 'best sidekick' character and instead the other duck from Ducktales won. It was amazing salt.

I'm glad that it isn't just OoT winning everything as per usual- but come on, Undertale is a lame game. It's the corridor shooters of RPG- it is not Earthbound- it's barely anything, you just walk around a memeverse and make gaemr 'jokes' about how rpgs function but there's nothing mechanically to explore the idea aside from a tiny novel non-violent method of winning encounters that already has a 'flee' option that works most of the time anyway.

Oh well, at least it wasn't some microtransaction f2p mobile game.

patapuf

I guarantee Undertale is forgotten a year from now. Messing with GameFAQs is funny though, so I approve.

Nah, it'll hold it's popularity a year. It's pretty unique (and really good) in what it does and it might inspire a few clones/games that attempt similar stuff.

I agree it'll probably be forgotten eventually but i'm pretty confident it's popularity will hold until the end of next year.

Kangi

I wonder what makes people think Undertale's just going to disappear. That's not how it works.

It's gotten more popular month after month. I've been seeing graffiti of this game. I wouldn't be able to escape this game if I tried. You won't, either, no matter how much you tell yourself everyone's just going to stop liking it.

So why don't you just... give in?

Zekes!

I'm glad I played Undertale when I did, when the hype was strong but still contained.

As much as I loved it, It's starting to reach "okay guys, it's not that good" territory for me

dock

Oh well. People talk shit about games that they almost never played, so I guess it's ok if people vote for games that they never played. /s

I only played Undertale's demo but I was expecting something more. I don't know what, I had ultra high expectations and the game while intresting and fun wasn't that good... Maybe the final game is better, but the demo for me was a bit boring.

The demo is pretty bad. I had a horrible time playing the demo, to be honest, and it took me a long time to give the proper game a shot. I haven't played too much of the game, but everything after the demo has been much better.

Nightbird

I wonder what makes people think Undertale's just going to disappear. That's not how it works.

It's gotten more popular month after month. I've been seeing graffiti of this game. I wouldn't be able to escape this game if I tried. You won't, either, no matter how much you tell yourself everyone's just going to stop liking it.

So why don't you just... give in?

That gif is great!

dickroach

There's a lot of stuff in Undertale that simply wouldn't work outside of PC. The minute-to-minute gameplay would work fine, but a lot of what makes the game interesting would need to be heavily altered.

like what? other than
Flowey crashing your game or whatever
I can't think of anything. and even that could still work. I played the game with a joypad mapper/ PS3 controller on my TV and it was all fine

Intel_89

It's fresh on peoples mind and despite being really good there's always been some trolling around FAQS polls. Anyway, I don't understand why people get mad over this but whatever.

I remember the meltdown when Tails didn't win 'best sidekick' character and instead the other duck from Ducktales won. It was amazing salt.

I'm glad that it isn't just OoT winning everything as per usual- but come on, Undertale is a lame game. It's the corridor shooters of RPG- it is not Earthbound- it's barely anything, you just walk around a memeverse and make gaemr 'jokes' about how rpgs function but there's nothing mechanically to explore the idea aside from a tiny novel non-violent method of winning encounters that already has a 'flee' option that works most of the time anyway.

Oh well, at least it wasn't some microtransaction f2p mobile game.

Lol. Spoken as someone who hasn't finished the game. How wrong you are. The jokes aren't very meme-heavy at all though some do require perhaps a bit much knowledge of gaming and older internet culture. The pacifist way of winning encounters is more akin to a modern rpg dialogue tree than anything else and is actually where most of the story in the game happens.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
like what? other than
I can't think of anything. and even that could still work. I played the game with a joypad mapper/ PS3 controller and it was all fine

Only thing I can think of that wouldn't really transfer well is the
essay.
And the access to saves mostly, but I guess the game can save that data within itself if it's possible.
Also game title bar changing names I suppose.

FluxWaveZ

like what? other than
I can't think of anything. and even that could still work. I played the game with a joypad mapper/ PS3 controller on my TV and it was all fine

There's some conceptual stuff with the Genocide route that I think wouldn't work, but it's not that much.

Leezard

like what? other than
There's stuff you can't erase even by erasing the save file.

Theosmeo

Is this for PS4? I'd buy it if it was. Hear nothing but great things

PC Mac and Linux, it has virtually no system requirements, I´d recommend plugging in a controller if you´re a console person, helped me millions.

You could probably run it on whatever you´re using to post here

What makes this any different from any other indie game that developed a cult following? Fez, CaveStory, Binding of Isaac, or even Minecraft?

Perhaps forgotten is the wrong word. But you're right, other than MC. I can see it having a cult following for some time.

Do this poll again next year though, and I guarantee it doesn't get anywhere near the top. Of course, half the results of this content make no sense to me, and indicate things about the GameFAQs audience I'd have expected to shift by now (like Smash Bros Melee winning over FF7).

JSoup

Banned
I was surprised when Undertale beat out FF7.
I was surprised when Undertale beat out OoT.
Whole new age, I thought.
Then I realized it was all shilling from other communities.
Then I felt stupid because this shit happens every damn contest.

Ekai

i feel the same way. it came out quite a while ago but only just noticed gaf being crazy over it like a month ago. it's niche enough that i think it's going to end up like spec ops the line is today where gaf in particular loves it but most people don't have an opinion or ignore it.

Really? I've heard people be crazy about it for months now all over the place. Tumblr and 4chan both love it. And GameFAQs and GG hate it with a passion. It's a game that probably will be generally remembered.

Top Bottom