• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

United States Election: Nov. 8, 2016 |OT| Hate Trumps Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

Up and on my way to my polling place. Seeing far too many Trump signs.
Mine was all Trump and the local R rep signs (Comstock) , she has done a far better job than her opponent in ads and name recognition. It's also super close to her campaign hq.

Diablos

Don't worry too much about signs. Republicans just love them some signs and bumper stickers. Democrats tend to be more discrete although plenty of them still like signs as well.

Laieon

I voted weeks ago (live abroad). Feels surreal that we're finally here.

The first presidential election I was ever able to vote in was Obama in '08, he is definitely going to be missed. I've gone from Bernie to Jill Stein to reluctantly Hillary, not nearly as excited about her as I was Obama though. Anyone but Trump I guess.

Wallach

I spoke to 3 people who all voted yes on Amendment 1 in Florida thinking they're supporting Solar power. Amendment 1 would actually kill solar power. "Consumers for Smar Solar" is actually the utility companies. This amendment would kill solar energy.

This is dystopian future evil politician government shit right here.

I'm calling it right now. From the state that brought you the buttery ballot comes the 2016 headline, "Floridians duped into killing solar"

yeah that shit is pretty garbage and hopefully some of those assholes catch lawsuits over it

To be fair, places like the UK (and many others) contain US military bases - so the person in ultimate control of those is kind of a big deal to us, and I don't think there's anything wrong with us being interested/terrified and expressing that. It would be 'concern trolling' if the US leader had no impact anywhere but America, but that is far from the case.

Bingo.

We have, from memory:

-- RAF Lakenheath (thousands of personnel, three squadrons of F-15s etc.)
-- RAF Mildenhall (thousands of personnel, refuelling wing based there for whole of Europe)
-- RAF Menwith Hill (hundreds of personnel, major intelligence centre)
-- RAF Alconbury (hundreds of personnel, support centre)
-- RAF Croughton (hundreds of personnel, intelligence/counter-terrorism)

A couple of them are due to close over the next decade or so, IIRC, but there is a significant current - and near-future - US military presence in the UK, and that's before you even get on to other military ties, or Trident, or any one of a hundred different things that tie the UK to the US and make the results of the Presidential election hugely important to us.

pa22word

Policy in the United States has a large influence on domestic policy abroad.

Most powerful country in the world, naturally people will pay attention. You can't have the cake and eat it too.

Again: I don't have a problem with people paying attention and being interested.

whattaboutism

k

And excuse the rest of the world for not wanting someone certifiable to have access to one of the largest nuke arsenals in the world.

You're excused.

TomServo

yeah that shit is pretty garbage and hopefully some of those assholes catch lawsuits over it

Pretty depressing article in Florida Today summed it up:

As a campaign insider revealed, in an audio recording published by the Miami Herald and Tampa Bay Times, Amendment 1 is “a little bit of political jiu-jitsu,” designed to trick Floridians who like the idea of solar power into restricting its expansion and sparing monopolistic utilities from competition.

But don't worry if you're in the rest of the US; the same audio recordings had folks saying that the "political jiu-jitsu" should be used as a model to roll out the same amendment in other states, with the same confusing wording.

The hope here is that it actually requires a 60% majority to win.

Kusagari

I spoke to 3 people who all voted yes on Amendment 1 in Florida thinking they're supporting Solar power. Amendment 1 would actually kill solar power. "Consumers for Smar Solar" is actually the utility companies. This amendment would kill solar energy.

I'm calling it right now. From the state that brought you the buttery ballot comes the 2016 headline, "Floridians duped into killing solar"

Basically every Amendment Voldemort has supported since taking office is intentionally worded to say the exact opposite of what it means.

Dude is such a piece of shit.

pa22word

You are quite the stereotypical American "screw the rest of the world" douchebag, aren't you.

Nope, just don't feel the rest of the world's opinion has a place in our election system. Just as I feel we don't have a place to stick our foot into Germany's election, nor Britian's, even if our government does.

GrizzNKev

Banned

Fuck. I got everyone I know to vote no on 1, but I know it isn't going to be enough because most people won't even know what it is until they vote, and they'll be tricked by the wording. Fuck Florida.

pa22word

How ironic in that you hate Trump and yet you are acting so inclusive and just don't care about 'the others', similar to the person that you hate.

Heh.

And now I'm a racist.

What's next, nazi?

I care about the rest of the world. Again, I just don't care about their opinion on our election.

Majine

Banned
Just came back from voting for Darth Clinton.

hN8wdLE.jpg

DarthClinton_zpsdd481af5.png

You are quite the stereotypical American "screw the rest of the world" douchebag, aren't you.

Essentially. The rest of the world maintains relations with the USA. If the US abuses its status as the world super power, citizens around the world stand to suffer.

And Donald Trump is someone that will put America first in the short term and then harm us long term.

I see nothing wrong with citizens around the world trying to reason with voters here to not fucking elect Donald Trump and the GOP.

Nope, just don't feel the rest of the world's opinion has a place in our election system. Just as I feel we don't have a place to stick our foot into Germany's election, nor Britian's, even if our government does.
The fact is what the US does has major global implications. This is a weird thing to argue over. Of course everyone will have opinions and concerns over what we do.

And in general, anyone who understands that countries don't exist in a vacuum will have concerns over some of their decisions. I'm a US citizen that does have opinions on what other countries might do too.

pa22word

Well considering this is a worldwide forum, I think you're just gonna have to deal

I accept that people don't have the same opinion as me, and that's fine. I don't live in a naively binary world that whomever disagrees with me is a monster like others in this thread apparently do.

At the end of the day, I don't consider the rest of the world's opinion when casting my vote. I consider the rest of the world, and how that candidate will act in it, but that's the end of it.

eggandI

Banned
Aaand voted.

Polls supposed to open at 6, they are still setting up in Jersey City, NJ. But 150+ people in line

Can't wait to be challenged as a voter again by the old Republicsn hag.

I'm in south Jersey and there was only me and another man there at 6 😞

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom