• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

United States Election: Nov. 8, 2016 |OT| Hate Trumps Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lren

Gonna stop in and vote after class, really nice that the place I have to go to is right on the way home. Pretty much voting straight Democrat this year in NH. While I may not post much in the political threads, I will most certainly continue to lurk in them, hah!

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Where are you voting? I'm in line as well. Hour or so to go.

Elementary school by Exchange Place on Sussex. Been here for 3 general elections, never seen a bigger line.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Decided to vote before work right when the polls opened up this morning in northern VA. Longest line I've seen in any election so far, it felt really good seeing the turnout and submitting my ballot.

East Coast getting things started... let's do this, America! :D

Just had a 30minute discussion about the Election which involved the entire office. We're British and just all a mix of scared and interested in finding out the results tomorrow morning.

Good luck America - for some reason, I feel like you might need it.

lol we dont.

Were not idiots lol

There are only two people on the ballot who might be president

But that doesn't mean you have to vote for a potential winner. If your politics aren't represented by either of them, why vote for either of them? Not voting for third-parties based on this logic means that binary between potential winners will remain forever.

Good luck to my neighbors to the south on your election today. I have a vested interest in the results - I have a cousin & her family that live in Battle Creek, Michigan, and their family is split on the top two choices. I know full well how divisive this campaign has been as I've seen it cause rifts in my own family.

I hope, following the declaration of a victor, that the move to accept the results is fast & earnest, and that the healing can begin immediately.

Please, everyone in the United States, if you're eligible to vote, VOTE.

Voted in New Jersey. Lines weren't long but it picked up in the 5 minutes I was there.

My first two presidential votes were for the first black president and first woman president. What a time to be alive.

Futureman

Posted in PoliGAF...

Judge got sick and didn't bring the papers to our polling station. Everyone in line is not amused. Apparently judge's husband is on way. My GF is volunteering with ACLU watching a polling location later and she's freaking out.

They just got here and line is getting pretty long.

HylianTom

Banned
But that doesn't mean you have to vote for a potential winner. If your politics aren't represented by either of them, why vote for either of them? Not voting for third-parties based on this logic means that binary between potential winners will remain forever.

This race is a tug of war. One of the two contestants will win.

This is mathematical reality. Most people realize this. No amount of magical thinking will change this.

Hope everyone has a good and safe Election Day!

I work for a tv news station as a photographer, so it's gonna be a 10-12 hour day for me. Hope it goes smooth.

But when I see things like this, I get worried. :/
jNyxUt3.jpg

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Lets go USA, USA, USA

Vote the right person and do not. Please for god sake do not. Let us down.

Regards,
Your northern friend :)

Cornbread78

I will never understand people like you. Talk to your friends, talk to your family, talk to people who you respect and look up to. See who they are voting for and their reasoning. If you still can't make a decision after that, then you are hopeless.

These are two polar opposite candidates.

It's really not as simple as that for me; I actually know a lot more than you think and my own father is heavily involved in politics and holds public office.

With that being said, my line of work and my families lifeline, is constantly under attack by the Dems and more legislation could push things closer to losing that. Should I support that to choose a man that has no idea how to conduct himself as a President, but would not fight to take away your livelihood?

It's really not easy..

Xe4

Banned
A reminder to everone: don't freak out if an exit poll comes out and doesn't look good for your candidate. They exist to determine demographic trends, not predict an election, and are adjusted after the fact.

They can be off by as much as 5% in either direction depending on where the exit polls are done and the mehodology behind them. Conversely, if an exit poll looks too good to be true (Clinton crushing in Arizona or Georgia, for intance), it probably is.

Try to keep your head, and focus on the polls coming in, and where they come from.

ColdRose

lol we dont.

Were not idiots lol

Any country has the capacity for mass idiocy, including the USA. There are people in the UK who didn't vote in our Referendum as a protest (or who voted Brexit as a protest!) because they thought that Remain would smash it. Behold their success.

Snaku

Banned
Larger or smaller than 2012, if you voted there and can recall. Not that Clinton is even remotely likely to loose Va (and if she does she's in serious shit), but a large line is good news for her there, as North VA is a huge democratic stronghold.

Oh it was way bigger than 2012.

newjeruse

Elementary school by Exchange Place on Sussex. Been here for 3 general elections, never seen a bigger line.
Wow! I live on Sussex across from Satis. I noped that line at 630 and decided to go after I get back from the gym. Hoping it calms down. JCGaf. Who knew?

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
I'm at PS3 on bright street. Super long line!
High Five for JC! Go get a bagel at Wonder Bagels after to celebrate! I bet that line will feel like a breeze in comparison!

maxcriden

If you live in a district that is 80% Democrat, and wish to vote Democrat, and do not vote, there is no reason to believe your vote would have mattered, right?

My understanding is each district individually counts towards the electoral vote for the state. Is that correct?

Kevinroc

If you live in a district that is 80% Democrat, and wish to vote Democrat, and do not vote, there is no reason to believe your vote would have mattered, right?

My understanding is each district individually counts towards the electoral vote for the state. Is that correct?

No, this is not correct. It's the entire state's popular vote that decides where the electoral votes go.

Go vote!.

Stasis

How many MAGA hats

They're telling each other to not wear campaign clothing or red in general, because their ballots will be thrown away when they leave.

This is just the beginning of the rigged/conspiracy shit we'll see if he loses. They're already preparing for it. I don't have enough palms or faces.

Because if you have the choice between going to jail with torture, and plain going to jail, you probably want to help pick jail (Unless you're into that kinda thing...).

I can understand wanting a third party, but the presidential election is the least effective way to suddenly upend the status quo. It really takes years and years building together a coalition at the local level, with successful governance across the country, to build a following of loyal voters that can actually help convince the rest of the country to go another way than the usual system. Oh, and it'd help if the third parties in America actually had decent policies.

But for now, you have to pick between one of the two for a vote to have real consequence (asides from that whole 5% for federal funding thing I've heard about). Even if your politics aren't represented by these candidate likelyhood is that one of them will probably leave you with a better quality of life for you and your community than the other. So why not help that person win, instead of letting your vote be useless? You could end up regretting it...

sonicmj1

That is incorrect. A state's electoral vote is determined by the full popular vote within the state.

Even if you're in a state that splits its electoral votes (Nebraska and Maine), they each award half of their electoral vote total to the popular vote winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom