• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

United States Election: Nov. 8, 2016 |OT| Hate Trumps Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

N.Domixis

Banned
Voted in New Jersey. Lines weren't long but it picked up in the 5 minutes I was there.

My first two presidential votes were for the first black president and first woman president. What a time to be alive.
Same here, feels good to be part of making history. I now have two I voted stickers collected.

It's really not as simple as that for me; I actually know a lot more than you think and my own father is heavily involved in politics and holds public office.

With that being said, my line of work and my families lifeline, is constantly under attack by the Dems and more legislation could push things closer to losing that. Should I support that to choose a man that has no idea how to conduct himself as a President, but would not fight to take away your livelihood?

It's really not easy..

Well thankfully for you it seems like if Clinton wins there will be gridlock since Dems will likely not get the House. Unless you get more specific with your lifeline where Executive Orders can make a difference. It is safe nothing major will pass.

hypernima

Banned
I am hoping the US doesn't turn to this come 9pm. I already voted so get out there ya'll

Xf8JD4x.jpg

FTF

Ok America, today's the day, don't screw up.

Won't get to vote till after work around 6 or so, but I'll be doing so and excited about it. Go Hillary!

How the hell did we elect Bush twice, then?
Or allowed the House and Senate to be controlled by the republicans by the largest margin since the 1920's? Or engaging in a non-stop crusade with seemingly unchecked military spending? Or allowed the insanity of wealth disparity thanks to deregulation? We're not that smart.

+1 For Hillary in NJ. Went before work in case of a long line but it was not very busy. About the same as every other election I've been to. Pretty Republican area tho.

Aaron

Line moved quick at my polling place, but it's the first election there's been a line. Glancing at the roll, didn't look like much early voting going on in my area.

maxcriden

That is incorrect. A state's electoral vote is determined by the full popular vote within the state.

Even if you're in a state that splits its electoral votes (Nebraska and Maine), they each award half of their electoral vote total to the popular vote winner.

Thanks. So if a state loses by one popular vote, all electoral votes go to another state?

HylianTom

Banned
Well thankfully for you it seems like if Clinton wins there will be gridlock since Dems will likely not get the House. Unless you get more specific with your lifeline where Executive Orders can make a difference. It is safe nothing major will pass.

Pretty much. This race is essentially over what kind of Supreme Court we'd like for the next few decades. Legislative gridlock will remain until at least 2022, when elections are held under newly-drawn Congressional district maps.

Voted for Hillary Clinton and straight Democrat down ticket. I'm confident she'll be a great president but even if you don't like either candidate I just don't understand the people who don't see who the lesser of two evils is. IMO, even if this election was between Donald Trump and George W. Bush. with full knowledge of how terrible a president Bush would be, I would vote for Bush. The things Trump has said and the things he wants to do are that dangerous and far worse than anything Bush did.

+1 Trump. Make anime great again.

Seriously doe, seems like Hillary got this in the bag. Won't be staying up to see the results, popcorns cancelled.

johnny956

Thanks. So if a state loses by one popular vote, all electoral votes go to another state?

Yup if one state is 1 million votes for Trump and 1000001 votes for Clinton then Clinton gets all the electoral votes.

Closest was Florida in 2000 which decided the election for Bush by several hundred votes

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
If you live in a district that is 80% Democrat, and wish to vote Democrat, and do not vote, there is no reason to believe your vote would have mattered, right?

My understanding is each district individually counts towards the electoral vote for the state. Is that correct?

As others have said, no.

Also worth noting that there is more on the ballot than just president. State initiatives are worth voting on. It helps to shape your community.

maxcriden

Yup if one state is 1 million votes for Trump and 1000001 votes for Clinton then Clinton gets all the electoral votes.

Closest was Florida in 2000 which decided the election for Bush by several hundred votes

As others have said, no.

Also worth noting that there is more on the ballot than just president. State initiatives are worth voting on. It helps to shape your community.

Thank you. That's unfortunate that I misunderstood. But, Georgia almost definitely won't go to Clinton, right? :/

As to state and other races, my district is 80% Democrat here, so, in that case wouldn't the district dictate local abdstate races?

Nepenthe

Did my part to let the GOP at every level know they can go fuck themselves. And look at Georgia; it pink. This tickles me greatly.

Hoping for the best out of the rest of my country.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
All set. It's really nice the voting location is just a few minutes from home so I can get it done before work.

Anyway, I did my part to help ensure NJ stays blue.

PillarEN

question for yall, if Clinton wins but barely (say 280-290 range) would you be disappointed with the lack of enthusiasm for her?
No. I would be disappointed if that was the case in a theoretical Obama 3rd run though. This election is a downer outside of all the comedy it provides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom