• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Universal creates "Dark Universe", with "The Mummy" and "Bride of Frankenstein."

jph139

I mean, the Universal Monsters were the first "cinematic universe" back in the day, and an action-horror flavor could help set them apart. Plus, starting with a Tom Cruise blockbuster is a solid base to build on.

Of all the harebrained universe pitches, I think it's the least egregious.

Isn't Angelina Jolie rumored as the Bride? Her and Bardem would make for a cool movie... wonder who they'd use as the doctor?

If all those people are willing to sign on for multiple movies in a cinematic universe, how has Marvel or DC even not poached Tom Cruise or Javier Bardem or even Johnny Depp for a role in their franchises?
In due time Javier will be playing Kraven the Hunter in a Spider-Man movie.

Acorn

If all those people are willing to sign on for multiple movies in a cinematic universe, how has Marvel or DC even not poached Tom Cruise or Javier Bardem or even Johnny Depp for a role in their franchises?
Marvel doesn't base their franchises around huge as fuck expensive stars from the get go. Remember Downey was toxic at the point of his intial casting.

Isn't Angelina Jolie rumored as the Bride? Her and Bardem would make for a cool movie... wonder who they'd use as the doctor?
Rumored, but Jolie has been turning down quite a few roles.
I hope this monster mashing goes well, although no Wolfman is disappointing. Dracula can wait till phase 2.
I'd put good money Dracula is going to be the big bad for their inevitable team-up movie if "The Mummy" does decently.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
i predict that all the constituent films of this universe will fail and it will fade away quietly

but then i remember we do not live in a just world

overcast

So many universes. This one could be decent, but the mummy looks pretty bad imo.

Predicting this doesn't get further than 2 movies but we'll see.

Eusis

This is how comics ruin society. The Comics Code Authority should have only had one rule: no long term, canon crossovers and shared universes.

Although this sounds like a formula leading to Castlevania.
The kaiju one beat them to the punch with "Monsterverse". Possibly intentionally.
Wait, I was wrong. The media singularity was inevitable. :(

Jawmuncher

In super curious to see how mummy does. I feel like it's gonna be another King Arthur. Ok maybe not that bad, but bombs nonetheless. Could be a case like Resident Evil and XXx where foreign markets absolutely love it though.

Betty

Banned
Marvel doesn't base their franchises around huge as fuck expensive stars from the get go. Remember Downey was toxic at the point of his intial casting.

Oh yeah, still if these stars are willing to be part of a universe it would be great if they jumped in to Marvel or DC.

I know Crowe has but even he should get another chance.

border

Does Johnny Depp just go around wearing those dumb pirate hoop earrings? Or did he forget to change out of his Jack Sparrow costume completely?

Maybe they should have waited to see if The Mummy was successful before announcing this whole project. Gonna be a little embarrassing to have all these films get cancelled if Mummy tanks.

I doubt this will work, which is a shame because I liked the idea. Better than Scooby doo universe, Ghostbusters universe, monsters universe, transformers universe or whatever people invented while I wasn't looking.

Man having a two year hiatus between Mummy and Bride seems a bit too long to maintain interest don't you think?

Thought the same thing.

To be fair monster movies essentially had the original cinematic universes.

The Mummy seems bland to me though. Suspect I'm just more of a fan of the Brendan Fraiser version.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
What if The Mummy severely underperforms? Are they going to turn over the couch cushions like they did with the Dracula movie? I guess it doesn't really matter, they're going to make these movies anyway. Just gotta hope there is interest in the buildup.

So now we have

MCU
DCU
Fox-verse (X-MEN, Deadpool, New Mutants)
Kaijuverse
Dark Universe
Sony SpiderVerse
Hasbro Toyverse

Am I forgetting something?

The Kree

Banned
Oh yeah, still if these stars are willing to be part of a universe it would be great if they jumped in to Marvel or DC.

It might also be a case of not thinking they can get a Tom Cruise. Kevin Feige said in an interview somewhere that he didn't think they'd get Bradley Cooper for Rocket, but they asked him anyway on a whim and he happened to say yes.

Guys like Cruise and Crowe are probably a lot more cost prohibitive though.

Man having a two year hiatus between Mummy and Bride seems a bit too long to maintain interest don't you think?
Considering how well John Wick 2 did with a 2 year gap and how well Deadpool will do with a 2 year gap, I think Universal's Dark Universe will survive with a film every 2 years.

pestul

They'd better hope The Mummy doesn't under perform.. which is definitely possible that it might with the stacked summer movie schedule.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Hollywood is barreling towards disaster.

This universe bubble is reaching subprime levels of idiocy.

lol.

Hollywood will be just fine.

(Also, isn't this one of the earliest movie universes? Sure, they're doing it because of Marvel's success but they didn't exactly pull this out of nowhere.)

Acorn

I wouldn't be opposed but I'm beginning to believe not using huge guys has value beyond saving money. They've stuck to middle ranking guys and unknowns even after the Disney purchase, aside from maybe Cumberbatch.

mreddie

What if The Mummy severely underperforms? Are they going to turn over the couch cushions like they did with the Dracula movie? I guess it doesn't really matter, they're going to make these movies anyway. Just gotta hope there is interest in the buildup.

So now we have

MCU
DCU
Kaijuverse
Dark Universe
Sony SpiderVerse
Hasbro Toyverse

Hanna Barbarra Universe

Interesting it doesn't mention Dwayne Johnson as the Wolfman - sounds like plans changed, as last I heard that was gonna hit before The Invisible Man. I wonder if he's no longer interested in the role.

Can't say I'm excited for this. The Mummy looks bland as fuck, and modern day really strips the charm from these films.

So now we have

MCU
DCU
Kaijuverse
Dark Universe
Sony SpiderVerse
Hasbro Toyverse

Harry Potter-verse? What with the original books and Fantastic Beasts.

Top Bottom