• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Universal creates "Dark Universe", with "The Mummy" and "Bride of Frankenstein."

border

A part of me hopes that this is wildly, incredibly successful, so that in every box office thread there is a debate about when "Monster Fatigue" will finally set in.

Dragun619

Kinda interested, mostly to see how well everything fits together.

But surprise they didn't wait before seeing how well The Mummy does in either the BO or with the review reception. That gotta be a good sign for The Mummy, right? lol

Ratrat

This sounds dumb.

They should reboot LXG instead.

I don't like Crowe as Jekyll. He already acts like the Hulk in half his movies. The original character is also pathetic. Should have been Van Helsing or something else.

Link1110

What happened to the Dracula movie? I thought that was the first movie of the new universe. Did they just take a Mulligan and start again?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I can't believe anyone actually honestly caring for this. Or any of these movies.

Well except they're really going for that Castlevania vibe I guess.

Dabanton

I love how Depp is apparently only doing blockbusters because he's broke but Tom Cruise just... does it for fun?

These are the movies Depp likes doing and has done... forever?

Cruise seems to be a workaholic. No doubt he loves the money as well. But by this point he must have quite a lot of it.

Depps money troubles have been cataloged recently. I hope it doesn't end up in a Nic Cage scenario where he does any and every movie.

HotHamBoy

lCijHiO.jpg

On paper The Bride of Frankenstein should be in good hands since Condon made God's and Monsters, but I can muster a bit of excitement for any of this. As a huge fan of the original Universal Monster films, to see them come back as modern blockbusters with overdone CGI and shoehorned universe tie-ins gets my gag reflex going.

Ithil

They'd better bloody hope The Mummy is a box office hit now. They already took a mulligan on their Dracula movie, they can't really do it again with this one, they have to either start this universe or stop talking about it.

aerts1js

They'd better bloody hope The Mummy is a box office hit now. They already took a mulligan on their Dracula movie, they can't really do it again with this one, they have to either start this universe or stop talking about it.

It'll probably do mediocre domestically but make up for it in the international market. Overall though, Unless reviews are great I can't see the mummy being hugely profitable.

I don't understand, all of the big actors are old AF but the next movie isn't scheduled until 2019 and it's freaking Bride of Frankenstein?

Would have been better off just using them as a reboot of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

carlsojo

They got Tom, i can't imagine it doesnt do well. Dunno if it will be Iron Man tier as far as universe jump-starting goes but I'm optimistic.

A few new updates from THR:

• They want Angelina Jolie for 'Bride of Frankenstein'
  • Dwayne Johnson is still in the running for 'The Wolfman'
  • Universal execs are worried about The Mummy's BO, and if it will be enough to make this thing work
  • WB is considering legal action over the Dark Universe name

Nesotenso

would be surprised if the "The Mummy" makes more than 200 million in the States especially with WW looking like it will do great at the box office.

Ithil

A few new updates from THR:

• They want Angelina Jolie for 'Bride of Frankenstein'
  • Dwayne Johnson is still in the running for 'The Wolfman'
  • Universal execs are worried about The Mummy's BO, and if it will be enough to make this thing work
  • WB is considering legal action over the Dark Universe name

This is starting to sound like a mid 2000s Dreamwork film. "We need some major names for the film posters, cast some, I don't care what part, just get a lot of them".

This is starting to sound like a mid 2000s Dreamwork film. "We need some major names for the film posters, cast some, I don't care what part, just get a lot of them".

That also seems to be their mantra with the Fast and Furious films, which I bet is the template they're trying to emulate.

They want Angelina Jolie for 'Bride of Frankenstein'
Sure, I'd be okay with that.
Dwayne Johnson is still in the running for 'The Wolfman'
Isn't he already in Rampage?
Universal execs are worried about The Mummy's BO, and if it will be enough to make this thing work
I'd be worried too. I don't see this thing taking off.
WB is considering legal action over the Dark Universe name
What, because of the Del Toro movie that was cancelled a while ago?

The most interesting part is the threat of litigation.

What can WB even claim about Dark Universe? Copyright infringement? Will Uni back down now that they have a fancy title card and everything for the series?
What, because of the Del Toro movie that was cancelled a while ago?
Not cancelled, it's still active though its most recent director just left the project.

Blader

Is there any kind of buzz or impressions on The Mummy yet? Movie comes out in a week and a half and I haven't really seen anything about how it is.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

What can WB even claim about Dark Universe? Copyright infringement? Will Uni back down now that they have a fancy title card and everything for the series?

WB had been actively and publicly developing a movie called Dark Universe featuring their DC characters.

Ithil

That also seems to be their mantra with the Fast and Furious films, which I bet is the template they're trying to emulate.

Fast & Furious at least has some semblance of thought to casting, like "Let's cast the Rock and Jason Statham in action roles, duh". This is just nonsensical. Are any of these films even going to be horror films?

Not cancelled, it's still active though its most recent director just left the project.

Part of me wonders if they planned to use 'MonsterVerse' (which I had seen a couple times in relation) and were blindsided when WB used it for their Kong/Godzilla stuff.

I found a bunch of Dark Universe Trademarks from around 2014/1015 - not sure if it's WB, Universal, or someone else as it's all registered to Dark Universe LLC. If WB does own the name, what does Universal do -that logo is apparently attached to The Mummy.

I saw the clip of Tom Cruise apparently having Mummy Powers.

And then it hit me. Oh my god. They're going to have celebrities with monster movie powers fighting other movie monsters.

They're inexplicably going to turn this into a superhero franchise, aren't they?

I saw the clip of Tom Cruise apparently having Mummy Powers.

And then it hit me. Oh my god. They're going to have celebrities with monster movie powers fighting other movie monsters.

They're inexplicably going to turn this into a superhero franchise, aren't they?

See, I figured they were going this way, so it bugs me that they set the film in modern day.

They could have easily had The Mummy set in the 1930's, and just have his powers/curse somehow keep him alive for the modern day crossovers. The era was such a big draw for these films, and provided a fantastic visual charm.

Top Bottom