• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Universal creates "Dark Universe", with "The Mummy" and "Bride of Frankenstein."

who are they gunna get to play abbott & costello
1083_033059-948x750.jpg

I remember when I used to love little fan theories and hints of connecting movies together

Then they made everything a connected universe and made it boring :(

Mivey

What about a news story about how Snape killed Dumbledore.
Fake news! At that point Dumbledore was already dying from the effects of a curse, which Snape knew about. Therefore Snape was actually just being a double agent, who fed information to the resistance. Also Dumbledore might have been part of a racist revolt in the past, during which his sister got killed which made him realize what he had become. Also he was maybe, possibly
gay

To be fair the Russel Crowe part does sound like a Mummy spoiler.

Also ..wtf where are the wolfman, dracula and the lake monster ?
Wolfman will be filler werewolves in a Dracula or Van Helsing movie

I will accept the Werewolf design lifted from the 2004 Van Helsing.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
All of these famous literary characters and monsters with big hollywood names. Quite the extraordinary league of gentlemen they're building up here.

Interesting it doesn't mention Dwayne Johnson as the Wolfman - sounds like plans changed, as last I heard that was gonna hit before The Invisible Man. I wonder if he's no longer interested in the role.

Can't say I'm excited for this. The Mummy looks bland as fuck, and modern day really strips the charm from these films.

Dwayne Johnson is interested in the White House Man role now.

What if The Mummy severely underperforms? Are they going to turn over the couch cushions like they did with the Dracula movie? I guess it doesn't really matter, they're going to make these movies anyway. Just gotta hope there is interest in the buildup.

So now we have

MCU
DCU
Fox-verse (X-MEN, Deadpool, New Mutants)
Kaijuverse
Dark Universe
Sony SpiderVerse
Hasbro Toyverse

Am I forgetting something?

View-Askewniverse (Clerks, mall rats, chasing Amy, dogma, jay and silent bob strike back, clerks 2).

I just wish The Mummy wasn't contemporary, the alternative is super common but is just so aesthetically right.
But still excited.

If Dracula or Van Helsing ain't early than WW1 at the latest though...

I would rather a Universal Monsters cinematic universe that went back to roots and made mid-budget horror films. Around $60-80m each, option to shoot for an R rating, make them scary.

But I dunno, I'm actually not too down on the Mummy trailers right now. It could be fun.

To be fair the Russel Crowe part does sound like a Mummy spoiler.

Also ..wtf where are the wolfman, dracula and the lake monster ?

I would not be surprised at all if by the end of this Tom Cruise turns out to be one of those. Maybe not The Creature since I don't think he works that way, but a werewolf or vampire. There were even people speculating that by the end of The Mummy he'd become the new Mummy.

Fewr

Psssh, who needs that? Just look at how well "King Arthur", "Power Rangers", "Divergent", "Beautiful Creatures", "The Mortal Instruments", and all did.

I was about to mention the maze runner series, but after looking it up it seems to be doing fine. I had no idea they did a second and are preparing the 3rd part.

If all those people are willing to sign on for multiple movies in a cinematic universe, how has Marvel or DC even not poached Tom Cruise or Javier Bardem or even Johnny Depp for a role in their franchises?
Would not surprise me in the slightest if their age is in a factor in their choice of franchises. Those characters very well could have been their superheroes growing up instead of some b list mentor character cameo like Sly in Guardians 2 that they would probably get.

I was about to mention the maze runner series, but after looking it up it seems to be doing fine. I had no idea they did a second and are preparing the 3rd part.

The Scorch Trials is one of few times I was almost compelled to scream at the screen because the people were just SO FUCKING STUPID during the final battle.

Can they redeem themselves to me with The Death Cure?

Jakabok

I would not be surprised at all if by the end of this Tom Cruise turns out to be one of those..
Drac! He has the Lestat pedigree! Gotta become one of the Universal monsters, 'Nick Morton' is kinda the odd one out there lol. Could be how he 'survives' the plane crash? Waking up in a body bag and all. Maybe he's the Count with amnesia.

DeathyBoy

Banned
It almost was.

IIRC it was depending on it's box office performance, it could have been included.

Still makes me laugh that they're that small minded. Like you have a film of set up which can be fit in any way they see fit, starring a known actor who enjoyed the gig... and you ditch it so Crowe can prove once again that La Confidential was a long time ago.

Dabanton

If all those people are willing to sign on for multiple movies in a cinematic universe, how has Marvel or DC even not poached Tom Cruise or Javier Bardem or even Johnny Depp for a role in their franchises?

I would imagine because they'll probably be taking home a boatload more money if the films do very well and becasue Marvel wouldn't have the usual control they like to have on projects. Someone like Cruise is big enough to probably overrule the directors and execs.

I worked on the mummy and Cruise has control over pretty much everything down to how his face looks in effect shots.

I mean no actor bar maybe RDJ has that kind of clout in the current MCU setup

And I would imagine Kevin Feige will want it to remain that way..

This should go about well as any shared universe not named the MCU.

I think Kurtsman didn't do it and the poor box office prevented it from being the first film.

It actually did well worldwide given its budget, but its weaker domestic performance means it's a no show.

Personally I thought it was a boring dull film.

I would imagine because they'll probably be taking home a boatload more money if the films do very well and becasue Marvel wouldn't have the usual control they like to have on projects. Someone like Cruise is big enough to probably overrule the directors and execs.

I worked on the mummy and Cruise has control over pretty much everything down to how his face looks in effect shots.

I mean no actor bar maybe RDJ has that kind of clout in the current MCU setup

And I would imagine Kevin Feige will want it to remain that way..

Cruise was the original choice to play Iron Man

Top Bottom