• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Universal wants Channing Tatum as Van Helsing in Dark Universe movie

Link.

Despite the film's lackluster performance ($389.6 million worldwide to date), Universal is moving forward with its monster-filled Dark Universe, but slowly, to allow for more script development. The stories will be tied together by Russell Crowe’s Dr. Jekyll.

Convinced Tom Cruise saved Mummy from being a bigger flop, the studio is betting on names, prepping an offer to Angelina Jolie for Bride of Frankenstein (slated for release on Feb. 14, 2019) and polishing the script for Van Helsing, aimed for Channing Tatum. Johnny Depp is attached to star in The Invisible Man.

charpunk

Just kill this nonsense now. Not everything needs a cinematic universe. Especially when the first movie was terrible and bombed.

kewlmyc

I like Channing Tatum, but he should stay far away from this hot mess.

If we continue with the Dark Universe, make them actual horror movies and not this action bullshit.

Rvaan

Banned
Universal is trying Frankenstein their Dark Universe. Gonna work about as well as it did for the good doctor.

Ashhong

I hope this works out because despite the haters, I think a Dark Universe with all of these monsters is brilliant.

The Kree

Banned
They're still trying to do this?

cFWQskG.jpg

But Tatum is like the opposite of what you need for Helsing. Get someone rough and moody, and actually make a movie worth a damn. It's probably true Cruise saved the Mummy from making no money but you wouldn't have even needed him if you actually put some effort in.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I mean, that's not too bad for such a property, regardless of the quality of the film and its budget. If Universal gets reasonable they might crank out a profit out of this universe eventually.

Yeah but that Dracula movie fell on its face. They're basically 1 for 2 already and the Mummy wasn't exactly a run away success that has audiences abuzz and wanting more.

black070

Russel Crowe was the worst thing in The Mummy (and thats really saying something), having him be the thread that ties together all these movies ensures I never waste my time on another one of them.

Instro

Given that The Mummy appears to be genuinely successful internationally, they might as well push forward. Sooner or later they will probably manage a critical success that can pull US audiences. Watch BoF be their Wonder Woman.

A movie is basically a failure to GAF if it doesn't reach 800million

The studio wanted $500 mil out of the Mummy and it might not even get to $400. It's a flop, even Deadline and Hollywood Reporter are calling it a flop, lol @ anyone including you saying "it's not a flop"

A movie is basically a failure to GAF if it doesn't reach 800million

It cost almost $200mil to produce
It made $75mil domestic

Of course, of that $75, Universal probably only got around half of that as its cut. And even though it got to 375mil worldwide, the $300mil doesn't translate to $300mil in Universal's account. The cut they got is likely closer to 1/4 of that number, if that.

(this is partially why pointing at international numbers/worldwide numbers isn't so great - those numbers sound nice and big but they're kinda empty, too. Studios get a smaller cut of that money than they do the domestic)

Universal lost almost $100 mil on that movie.

That's a bomb.

It cost almost $200mil to produce
It made $75mil domestic

Even though it got to 375mil worldwide, the $300mil doesn't translate to $300mil in Universal's account. The cut they got is likely closer to 1/4 of that number.

(this is partially why pointing at international numbers/worldwide numbers isn't so great - those numbers sound nice and big but they're kinda empty, too. Studios get a smaller cut of that money than they do the domestic)

Universal lost almost $100 mil on that movie.

That's a bomb.
Hell, it also had a pretty big ad campaign and flew Cruise all over the world.

Alienfan

I don't get the hate for Dark Universe, it's conceptually really bonkers, and the cast they have lined up for it are all great. If you can have two universes with people in spandex running around saving the world, one with monsters could be fun too.

I don't get the hate for Dark Universe, it's conceptually really bonkers, and the cast they have lined up for it are all great. If you can have two universes with people in spandex running around saving the world, one with monsters could be fun too.

They haven't gotten it working for two movies thus far and none of the things they've talked about or people they've hired makes it sound like they'll suddenly improve. It's not like they just now hired someone like Geoff Johns who's making sure everything goes correctly or at least improves.

Bronx-Man

Banned

You kinda have to prove you can make one good movie first before you can sell people on a "cinematic universe".

Shit, DC is just now getting off the hook with theirs after 4 tries.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I don't get the hate for Dark Universe

Most likely on account of the fact of...

1) The hilariously tone-deaf announcement trailer announcing Universal's intention to create a "Monster Cinematic Universe"

2) The fact "The Dark Universe" has attempted to debut itself on two separate occasions in the past with two incredibly bad movies (Dracula Untold and The Mummy)

3) The entire reason for this franchise's existence is incredibly cynical, even by Hollywood standards, through Universal attempting to replicate the cinematic universe formula by signing on a bunch of stars without even yet attempting to write the scripts for many of their related vehicles.

Dhx

I hope this works out because despite the haters, I think a Dark Universe with all of these monsters is brilliant.

This is my position. It's going to take a few more clunkers for me to give up on this. The idea has potential. I haven't had a chance to see Mummy yet, but I'm hoping Cruise makes it watchable.

The Mummy is the worst Tom Cruise movie ever. Dark Universe is a joke.

Well, then again..

Instro

It's unfortunate, because the concept would be enjoyable for me personally, but they don't seem to have any idea what they are doing. The casting choices seem inspired, I mean there would be potential to have Cruise, Jolie, Depp, Crowe, Evans(maybe?), etc., to be in the same film, which would be cool by most standards, but the entire franchise is surrounded by garbage filmmakers and producers.

border

I don't get the hate for Dark Universe, it's conceptually really bonkers, and the cast they have lined up for it are all great.

Horror movies do not gross the kind of money necessary to support films with 200 million dollar budgets and actors who command 20 million dollar salaries.

The Dark Universe is conceptually stupid since it requires turning horror franchises into tentpole action movies. This change in scale and and tone kinda sorta works for The Mummy, but does not work at all for properties like Wolf Man, Frankenstein, Invisible Man, etc.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Broseph Van Helsing, younger brother, gets back home to London after flunking out of Chico State for partying too hard.

I can see it.

inky

Conceptually.

The Universal monsters are horror genre staples, but that doesn't mean their approach has been appropriate. Doesn't seem they have the talent behind the camera to treat them with the reverence and respect they require to make enjoyable vehicles, let alone a mastermind behind all of them who actually has any clue about how the universe links up together or how to make them work and benefit from their iconic status.

Top Bottom