• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Universe to add Hunchback of Notre Dame & Phantom of the Opera to its roster.

Miles X

I just don't see anyone caring or being excited about these characters, even if the film doesn't flop.

A good horror cinematic universe would be awesome though, with the icons.

DrArchon

How many eggs can someone possibly fit in one basket?

Hey, execs. Maybe come up with your grandiose plans for a cinematic universe AFTER your first movie comes out and doesn't turn out to be a tire fire?

y8Ea8jB.gif

This is all sounding like some dumb, cynical Hollywood BS. I kinda love it. It's the Monster Schlock of the Cinematic Universe Era.

Why do these companies always get so carried away and announce the launch of a universe so early? At least make a few movies and see if there's a chance of it catching on.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Why do these companies always get so carried away and announce the launch of a universe so early? At least make a few movies and see if there's a chance of it catching on.
They want to cader fans.
Imagine Frankenstein Fans out there. The chanche is pretty high that you get more people into the Mummy when they know that #itsallconnected.
Hell, if I would care about these things I would act similar

Nev

Banned
Just watched the final trailer for The Mummy. Absolutely horrible.

The "mummy" is a half-naked hot girl covered in white and some random tatoos who is so clearly sexualized. Because of course they wouldn't have a non-supermodel, decrepit female, it doesn't matter she's a goddamn mummy. But hey, double iris!! So monstruous and scary.

Then you have the completely hilarious, SyFy level CGI. Like really? That zombie in the car is particularly pathetic.

Lfmao is this 1997?

And what's with the weird tone? Sometimes it looks like a horror movie where everybody is dying and everything's darker than a DCEU movie, next scene you're seeing some terrible jokes (c'mon! kick her ass!! ---- gets kicked by her) wow so funny!

All in all, it looks like utter trash and I hope it bombs. I knew it would never be able to top 1999's mummy, but I didn't expect it to be THIS terrible.

Blader

The chase for cinematic universes is going to destroy Universal, Paramount, and Sony, calling it now.

How many do we have right now?

Marvel, DC, Godzilla/Monsterverse, Dark Universe, Hasbro universe, Transformers, Sony's upcoming Spider-Man-without-Spider-Man universe.

The issue is The Mummy doesn't look fun, it just looks like another bland, run-of-the-mill reboot with no personality on it's own. I would've loved if these movies would've actually taken a cue from the Universal classics and actually kept the heightened, gothic atmosphere and visuals and gone whole-hog with the period setting instead of squandering $125 million on a vapid, empty turd they're only trying to sell with star power.

The real approach should've been make them small, personal takes on the classic monsters for 25-30 million each. Look at The Witch, cost what? a few hundred thousand? Made $40 million at the worldwide box office merely due to word of mouth. Universal would've been smart to make smaller, scarier, more budget-minded films instead of trying to compete with the MCU.
Yup, no soul or identity.

They're still trying to force these big names to headline too smh.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
They want to cader fans.
Imagine Frankenstein Fans out there. The chanche is pretty high that you get more people into the Mummy when they know that #itsallconnected.
Hell, if I would care about these things I would act similar

So, you are saying that the Phantom of the Opera/Hunchback of Notre Dame fanbase is large enough and cares enough to go see Mummy this weekend because they want to see how a man who plays a pipe organ with half a face is going to interact with an undead Egyptian sorceress?

This is the dumbest idea of a shared universe. And that includes Hasbro.

border

Seeing this movie bomb is going to be so satisfying....even more so than watching Power Rangers tank out.

These properties were never strong enough to support $150M blockbuster budgets....I don't see how an idea this terrible made it past the drawing board. And now they're announcing new additions that aren't even monsters-- Hunchback of Notre Dame? WTF?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
So, you are saying that the Phantom of the Opera/Hunchback of Notre Dame fanbase is large enough and cares enough to go see Mummy this weekend because they want to see how a man who plays a pipe organ with half a face is going to interact with an undead Egyptian sorceress?

This is the dumbest idea of a shared universe. And that includes Hasbro.
Thats what I am expect these marketing people are thinking.

Toa TAK

Banned
"Just fuck it! Fuck it all!" is the extent of that I got from reading it.

That said, I'm game. Chances are one of these have to be good, right?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Okay people, we need to learn to start distinguishing a "Cinematic Universe" from a common, run of the mill movie franchise.
Star Trek is a more connected Cinematic Universe then the MCU.
The Star Trek TV shows are as important as the movies and treated with way more respect then anything running on ABC.
Even the Abramverse is connected to the Original TV Show.

Star Trek is a more connected Cinematic Universe then the MCU.
The Star Trek TV shows are as important as the movies and treated with way more respect then anything running on ABC.
Even the Abramverse is connected to the Original TV Show.

That's not a "cinematic universe" though. That's a franchise of various TV series and a singular film franchise. I mean, you can't call it a cinematic universe when 80% of it's content isn't "cinema."

It's not the same thing as the MCU or any of these other things.

Blader

When I think cinematic universe, I'm thinking about multiple film franchises that tie together into an uber crossover franchise: solo Marvel heroes -> Avengers, solo DC heroes -> Justice League, solo Godzilla and solo Kong -> Godzilla vs. Kong, etc. Star Trek is just the one series of movies with the same set of characters.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
That's not a "cinematic universe" though. That's a franchise of various TV series and a singular film franchise. I mean, you can't call it a cinematic universe when 80% of it's content isn't "cinema."

It's not the same thing as the MCU or any of these other things.

These TV series and Movies are interconnected. Khan wasnt something they came up with for the movie. Khan and Kirk had their first entcounter on the TV show. The whole First Contact Movie revolves around Picard and his relationship to the Borg and that he was turned into a Borg once. And so on, I am no Trekkie, but its definitly more connected then "a franchise of various TV series and a singular film franchise", other who are more into the material can most likely point out more details.
If Star Trek would start today and play out exactly as is did, we would label it with Cinematic Universe.
Just look into this thread. The Universal Monstermovies were indeed the Proto-Cinematic Universe, but nobody would label it so, but it was just 70 years to early to call it so, and still everyone was crossing over with everyone else.

SpaceWolf

Banned
These TV series and Movies are interconnected. Khan wasnt something they came up with for the movie. Khan and Kirk had their first entcounter on the TV show. The whole First Contact Movie revolves around Picard and his relationship to the Borg and that he was turned into a Borg. And so on, I am no Trekkie, but its definitly more connected then "a franchise of various TV series and a singular film franchise", other who are more into the material can most likely point out more details.
If Star Trek would start today and play out exactly as is did, we would label it with Cinematic Universe.
Just look into this thread. The Universal Monstermovies were indeed the Proto-Cinematic Universe, but nobody would label it so, but it was just 70 years to early to call it so, and still everyone was crossing over with everyone else.

Proff, you're completely off point on this.

Star Trek is a television franchise that has spun-off into movie adaptations over the years as a natural means of expansion. A Cinematic Universe (hence the word "Cinematic"), is in reference to a series of separate, self-contained stories in film that adhere to the same continuity which intentionally introduces elements or characters with the explicit intention of bringing them together at a later date. Going by your definition, you would have to consider any kind of media franchise which utilizes spin-offs or expansive media (Despicable Me, the Lego Franchise, 21 Jump Street) as as a "Cinematic Universe", which is a willful misuse of the term. A media franchise isn't the same thing as a Cinematic Universe, it just relates to an expansive fictional universe that happens to use different story-telling platforms.

These TV series and Movies are interconnected. Khan wasnt something they came up with for the movie. Khan and Kirk had their first entcounter on the TV show. The whole First Contact Movie revolves around Picard and his relationship to the Borg and that he was turned into a Borg once. And so on, I am no Trekkie, but its definitly more connected then "a franchise of various TV series and a singular film franchise", other who are more into the material can most likely point out more details.

I mean, Star Trek's chronology and timeline is impressive, but it doesn't make it a "cinematic universe." It's traditionally been a franchise that has had one TV series going at a time (for a part of it's history, two at a time) and a singular line of films. It's a franchise that has held incredibly tightly to it's own chronology, which is really cool, but that doesn't make it a "cinematic universe."

When we've reached a point where Kirk, Spock, Sulu and Uhura are each getting their own solo movies that all take place in a shared continuity with the mainline Star Trek franchise, that's when it can be called a Cinematic Universe, imo.

Toa TAK

Banned
Now that I think about it, Micheal Fassbender would kill it as the Phantom. Dude can sing (well enough). Why not?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Better make a Cthulhu Movieverse on its own. Lovecrafts books are rich enough to have multiple movies that all add small pieces to the cake and culmulate into a big The Call of Cthulhu Eventmovie.

Problem is, when they try to make it big and want to get everyone in the cinema, its going to be shit.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Jokes is on Kurtzman with calling the Monster Frankenstein.
Stopped the video right there, no reason for me to watch any further.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Jokes is on Kurtzman with calling the Monster Frankenstein.
Stopped the video right there, no reason for me to watch any further.

And before someone says something, I am completly aware that this may be a silly complaint, but if a filmmaker can kill my interest in a monster movie, then he has to call the Monster Frankenstein. Its not a big thing in the grand scheme of things, but it shows that you lack the respect for the material.

Metalmarc

I'm gonna wait this one out for the Home release, I think i'll go see Wonder Woman now only, i was gonna see both but recently i been thikning nah, i can only go to the cinema once this month.

Shame really Dracula Untold was alright, and yet it has nothing to do with this now, maybe they should have waited to see how The Mummy turned out at the Box office before announcing even anything further.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I don't know why people put energy into shit like hating fiction.

Because they love stuff. At least its the reason on my side. I would give so much for a regular schedule of classic Monstermovies, set in the end of the 19th century or at the start of the 20th, all with big castles and classic designs. I am starving to death for a good classic Vampire movie not feature sparkling dudes and girls and current day approaches. I think the last one decent must have been Bram Stokers Dracula with Garry Oldman? That one must be around 20 years old now.

Makonero

If there's not a movie where Seth Rogan and James Franco meet all of these characters while standing in for Abbott and Costello, then I find it tough to care about this universe.

Someone else mentioned Key and Peele

I would watch the fuck out of Key and Peele Meet Frankenstein

They don't have to go full monster, I thought Broadway's depiction was a good in-between

It depends which interpretation they decide, the Broadway(more human), the book(more grotesque), or a new interpretation all together.

Though honestly if they used De Palma's version of the Phantom I'd be hype for the DU.

thequestion

Should they of shot these dark universe films in gothic black and white to help set them apart and give them a unique retro feel? It might of helped, maybe?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Whats the appeal of this shared universe?

Do they really think people are eager to watch a teamup movie with Dracula and Quasimodo or some shit?

Top Bottom