• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 4 Kite Open World Cinematic

I have to admit I actually enjoyed that demo, lovely music and beautiful scenery. I certainly wouldn't complain if the games I play started looking like that.

Impressed by the scenery, the character model didn't look particularly impressive to me.

It's a bit strange seeing a tech demo like that for what's meant to be a current gen engine. I mean, I'd be surprised if that demo will run on a PS5. Then again, Samaritan was four years ago and games don't look that good yet.

Personally I think the Order in many ways looks better than Samaritan.

Stimpack

What a time to be alive.

All I see is the RPG potential.

I'm not trying to start some age debate or anything, but it makes me very happy that I was born before everything really took off. To be able to look back and see such massive changes in the industry, and to able to see the amount of progress that's been made, it leaves me awestruck. Perhaps it's the naivety of being a child at the time, but playing on the NES back in the day, I never would have imagined video games reaching such heights. Here's to the future!

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
It looks really really pretty. But i'm kinda done with tech demos and so while it looks nice, i'm not that impressed. The Order convinced me once and for all that if your not making it into an actual game, you can make anything look pretty with controlling how a scene goes down to its last detail. Its not hype inducing anymore. The loading aspect and scale is very good though. That means eventually bigger worlds in this scale.

I'm not trying to start some age debate or anything, but it makes me very happy that I was born before everything really took off. To be able to look back and see such massive changes in the industry, and to able to see the amount of progress that's been made, it leaves me awestruck. Perhaps it's the naivety of being a child at the time, but playing on the NES back in the day, I never would have imagined video games reaching such heights. Here's to the future!

You and me both. I remember seeing Daytona and Virtua Fighter 2 in the arcades back in the day and thinking "How can graphics get much better?" It's wild how far things have come in a relatively short time.

DavidDesu

I've always laughed at people that said "Ok, this is good enough, graphics don't need to, or can't get better" when we were at PS2 or Xbox 1 level. Clearly they could, would, and have. The Order and this real time movie just show what can be done now, and the horsepower available now, paired with good art direction and the best tech can produce fantastic results. Cinematic results :p Truly though it's a watershed moment when real time visuals can feel just like any other movie that you've seen at the cinema. There's a lot of small imperceptible things happening together to make it happen. Of course gaming doesn't need to or should be relying on copying a cinematic look, but it doesn't hurt that real time graphics can achieve that now. Photorealism used to be a pipe dream, always just over the hill, but now I can safely assume that by the time PlayStation 5's are rolling out we will be close to photorealism.

After finally reaching that milestone, where anything visually is possible we'll really need to move on to the next huge, even bigger challenge, convincing A.I. Considering how young gaming still is compared to film it's easy to see far ahead in the future when the how's and why's of creating a game are long since defeated, and it is pure creativity that drives games forward, opened up to more and more ordinary people who will never need to know C++ etc. Right now we're at the stage filmmakers probably were where they had to practically design, operate, and process their film as well as simply try to make something affecting. Some day.

The grass and trees look amazing, as do the rocks and the crazy amount of detail at the 1 minute mark on the mountain path

I hope they release this (and the infiltrator demo too) I want to try running it on my potato xD

It was running the new GTX Titan X ! (well it has to be expected) ! -_-

Better rewatch it and the whole presentation in HQ only !

Vire

Beautiful, that's really the best word I can use to describe this. Love the ending shot of the kites circling in the cave.

Not something I'd expect from the folks at Epic, but well done.

HowZatOZ

Banned
This is just insane, and definitely shows where technology is moving towards. Real-time rendering is becoming such a significant part of the video game world it won't be long before it bleeds into the cinematic landscape.

-SD-

Banned

pottuvoi

Banned
Really a great presentation, lots of information.
There's no such thing as an uncompressed video. No one would host it due to it being hundreds of gigabytes in size. There's low bit-rate (YouTube) and high-bit-rate (Gamersyde) but no uncompressed.
Indeed, that 133 second trailer would take ~23.12GB using uncompressed 30fps 24bit (RGB8) video.

UnrealEck

They are cut-scenes, pre-planned, with a fair amount baked rednering. Fixed camera angles.
I think they said it's using dynamic global illumination and the terrain is procedurally generated.
We will only see a handful of games come close, God of War has typically been one because of it's fixed camera angles.
That handful will be PS4 games, right?

They know exactly what will be in frame, they don't have to worry about culling.
How do you know this?

Not a space marine? Color me impressed.

Was kinda expecting one to come stomping out of that cave. But apparently they were for real with that sappy, sentimental crap.

Looked incredible though. Not that it matters, there's still nothing that looks as good as the Samaritan demo either.

vio

That looked really great, better than 2006 level CG maybe.

(Monster House)

No, not that level for sure. Not to mention CARS or Ice Age which are also from 2006. It does look great though, just imagine Skyrim at that quality!!! Maybe in 5-10 years.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Speaking of tech demo's at GDC, Silicon Studios is demoing their robot tech demo for PS4 tomorrow i think.

I wish they would just stop all the run around and make a JRPG not Bravely default on the new consoles/PC already. You have this nice engine and everything but you dont even prove its potential outside of videos

moon7

Banned
Very very impressive.

And then you realize that if you need 1 Titan X card for this, you need 2 Titan X cards to get this in a real game, with AI, and actual action taking place and still maintain that 30fps....

R_Deckard

SNJzyG0.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zjPiGVSnfI

EDIT: Higher quality version available for download in here (might need to log in): https://vimeo.com/121146483

This real-time short film was first shown during Tim Sweeney's State of Unreal Engine GDC 2015 keynote. Just before the GeForce Titan X announcement (which this demo was running on).

EDIT: Here's the presentation/making-of/behind the scenes and Q&A: http://www.twitch.tv/unrealengine/b/632598238?t=45m28s
Astounding...

Very very impressive.

And then you realize that if you need 1 Titan X card for this, you need 2 Titan X cards to get this in a real game, with AI, and actual action taking place and still maintain that 30fps....

Well, the rest is more CPU stuff and wouldn't require an entire Titan X.

Mabase

I appreciate the demo not being about space marines, but it's _quite_ schmaltzy...

Techwise it looks very fine. Wonder why they chose to go with modeled plastic hair instead of a hair sim though.

moon7

Banned
Well, the rest is more CPU stuff and wouldn't require an entire Titan X.

Sure if you're ok with just 1 or 2 characters running around a pretty environment. Maybe the exploration sections of a JRPG or something. Throw in 20+ NPC's, weapons, particle effects, physics, destruction, fire, smoke, etc, and you're still going to need something more than that.

Not like even requiring 1 Titan X is something to get excited about. I doubt anyone's going to be making Titan X-level games for a good 4-5 years from now. Instead Titan X owners will likely still be playing X1 and PS4 level games at Titan X level frame rates and resolution.

martino

They claimed it's running real time, but we never see graphics match that level of fidelity from actual games that come out. They are cut-scenes, pre-planned, with a fair amount baked rednering. Fixed camera angles. We will only see a handful of games come close, God of War has typically been one because of it's fixed camera angles.

They know exactly what will be in frame, they don't have to worry about culling.

I'm confident they are more culling and baked stuff in the order than in this demo

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Very nice demo that.

Definitely moved real-time visuals significantly forward for me.

This demo will be downloadable and if so when?

I'd like to try it on my paltry 660GTX.

Top Bottom