• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 4 Kite Open World Cinematic

1080p

---

They actually allow You to fly or walk in that environment, in their booth.
Its fully explore-able 100 square miles.

well like they implied in their presentation: the trailer is shot in the "heros golden path". despite the horrible quality of the twitchvideo you can clearly see that the rest of those 100 square miles does not have the level of detail like the trailer locations.

that does not make the whole thing less impressive, especially dat lighting.

There are current gen CONSOLE games that look WAY better than this tech demo, minus image quality considerations of course.

This is more of a LOD tech demo, if real time.

choofed.gif

No there aren't

BTW, don't expect it to be released any time soon. It will be released when 4.8 comes since it uses DistantFieldGI from 4.8 !

KKRT00

I honestly wonder if they will. Depends on how seriously they pursue 4k.

I dont expect the 4k being a focus on next-gen. I expect also around 15 TFlops of performance from next batch of consoles.
I actually expect higher quality and focus on ray-traced techniques, unless VR really takes off.
Ray-tracing is very expensive, but it actually solves a lot of today's artifacts and make some very expensive stuff 'free', like shadowing, GI, AO, lighting all particles, reflections, DoF, Motion Blur.
I would actually prefer 900p high AA ray-traced rendered games on next-gen consoles over 4k rasterized rendered games.

bj00rn_

Banned
Not too impressive. Molded hair, the part where he jumps across the rocks and you can see his reflection in the distant water? bleh. There are current gen CONSOLE games that look WAY better than this tech demo, minus image quality considerations of course.

Funny-Gifs-5-15.gif

MiszMasz

I honestly wonder if they will. Depends on how seriously they pursue 4k.

I'm a tad cynical, but it wouldn't surprise me if next-gen is just the first where every game that comes out is 1080p.

In 5-6 years plenty of PC gamers will do so in 4k, but i don't even expect them to quite be in the majority.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I dont except the 4k being a focus on next-gen. I expect also around 15 TFlops of performance from next batch of consoles.
I actually expect higher quality and focus on ray-traced techniques, unless VR really takes off.
Ray-tracing is very expensive, but it actually solves a lot of today's artifacts and make some very expensive stuff 'free', like shadowing, GI, AO, lighting all particles, reflections, DoF, Motion Blur.
I would actually prefer 900p high AA ray-traced rendered games on next-gen consoles over 4k rasterized rendered games.

I'm a tad cynical, but it wouldn't surprise me if next-gen is just the first where every game that comes out is 1080p.

In 5-6 years plenty of PC gamers will do so in 4k, but i don't even expect them to quite be in the majority.
Given how well 1080p scales to 4k, I wouldn't mind it either. I just don't want to have to deal with scaling artifacts in every game like last gen.

Hell, if they stick with 1080p maybe we'll get 60fps more often.

RCSI

Easily the best stones I've ever seen. Better than real life stones :p

Indeed!

Game ready content > Photogrammetry Scan > Real stones

I'll admit, despite all the work that was poured into this demo, the less "wowed" I am at the visuals. Mainly because it is aesthetically pleasing to the eye which I have seen for the past 15 years from CG animated films.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Every game 1440p at this fidelity? I can live with that

I'll admit, despite all the work that was poured into this demo, the less "wowed" I am at the visuals. Mainly because it is aesthetically pleasing to the eye which I have seen for the past 15 years from CG animated films.

What? This doesn't make much sense.

Are you saying that the visuals do not wow you because it does or does not match CG films from the past 15 years?

Unrelated: The people trying so hard to downplay this are strange.

Given how well 1080p scales to 4k, I wouldn't mind it either. I just don't want to have to deal with scaling artifacts in every game like last gen.

Hell, if they stick with 1080p maybe we'll get 60fps more often.

You're still gona get 30 fps early gen and ~20 fps mid-late gen

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The more they can push the visuals, the less 60fps is going to be a thing for new releases. Its a trend every generation

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The more they can push the visuals, the less 60fps is going to be a thing for new releases. Its a trend every generation
I'm only speaking in terms of remaining at 1080p on new hardware for scaling purposes if the hardware isn't up to 4k and only being marginally more common. What'll probably happen is 1440p.

MiszMasz

Every game 1440p at this fidelity? I can live with that

1080p, as some hoped this gen would be across the board before being brought back down to earth very early on. Next-gen's got to be 1080p as a baseline or someone will have made some very silly decisions with their hardware design.

lefantome

I think it's gonna take a long time to have the hardware capable of a real next gen this time if we want 4k and vr unless there will be a sudden improvement in cpu and gpu technology.

I guess we are going to have and intermediate gen where the games will be better than current gen but it won't be a generational leap. I'd say it may start in 2019-2020.
They will run at 4k and 60pfs (90 for vr) and the image quality would be awesome.
I will be fine with that.

MaLDo

Not too impressive. Molded hair, the part where he jumps across the rocks and you can see his reflection in the distant water? bleh. There are current gen CONSOLE games that look WAY better than this tech demo, minus image quality considerations of course.

Sure.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
That's absolutely incredible. I absolutely hate any kind of noticeable LOD pop-in/phase-in, and there was very very little of that in this video. Did they disclose what kind of machine it was running on?

I must say, the temporal AA solution they have in Unreal Tournament does wonders for giving it that "CG quality" look. It doesn't seem very resource intensive, either. Hopefully it's a staple feature in UE4 games.

RCSI

What? This doesn't make much sense.

Are you saying that the visuals do not wow you because it does or does not match CG films from the past 15 years?

Unrelated: The people trying so hard to downplay this are strange.

What I mean is, the past few years of seeing CG films has given me an expectation of what they should look like. So for the Kite demo, it's similar to the aesthetics of of CG films of the past that I am not as impressed with the visuals as I should be.

pottuvoi

Banned
I must say, the temporal AA solution they have in Unreal Tournament does wonders for giving it that "CG quality" look. It doesn't seem very resource intensive, either. Hopefully it's a staple feature in UE4 games.
It's the default AA solution, so it should be.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

Have you lost your damn mind?

Like really. Or this is a poorly executed troll post.

jediyoshi

I did it. I found out why foliage in video games can get away with looking like shit.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I tried to, but I can't get into a game no matter what. ;_;

If you create a server you can make an offline match with bots or just by yourself if you wanna watch the pretty graphics. It looks fantastic, some of the sexiest texture work ever.

Lord Phol

Those eviorments. The forest scene made me really yearn for a new Elder Scrolls game with these graphics and in VR. I would probably die in my chair from playing it, but totally worth it, I got life insurance for my family so it all pans out.

KidJr

This how Crysis 3 handled it by:
PoM
http://i5.minus.com/i3DiqexrZtZql.png
Tessellation
http://i7.minus.com/iKJpI6LHG8DF1.png

Ryse also PoM
http://i5.minus.com/ii9aQWQq7x3I.png
Tessellation
http://i6.minus.com/iHAHmc1a5TD2T.png
Dont have better shots from Ryse at work, but there are some better examples that those.

The big difference for me, is that as good as rocks look in Ryse and Crysis, in the demo the rocks look like they've been individually modelled as opposed to textures/shaders on a flat surface. It's little things like that for me that make huge difference.

KKRT00

The big difference for me, is that as good as rocks look in Ryse and Crysis, in the demo the rocks look like they've been individually modelled as opposed to textures/shaders on a flat surface. It's little things like that for me that make huge difference.

Yep, the difference is huge in Epic's demo, no question about that.

hesido

I think to emphasize the realtime nature of the demo, they could have given users a slight control of the camera with pre-determined limits, just let that wobble or zoom a tiny bit (so as not to worry about dynamic culling), if they are not doing this, they should!.. (Think MGS4 realtime-cutscenes)

It looks spectacular btw, kudos to the team for this achievement!

EVIL

They ARE individually modelled and instanced around the scene so that comparison is a shitty one.

Top Bottom