• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Update: Shadow of War does not require internet connection to play

Congratulations on making this game a bargain purchase due to microtransactions to wait for psn plus. There's enough great games coming at the end of the year without the bullshit implanted in this game. It's a shame because this is clearly a publisher thing and the developers are being punished for this.

KarmaCow

Does this game even have the pretense of social features like the latest Hitman to justify always online?

Not that it makes a huge difference but otherwise the claim that the game isn't balanced around the needling the player into buying lootboxes rings loses all meaning.

JP

As a single player gamer I've really started to hate this in single player games, it's OK a lot of the time but there are times that the servers are offline or unavailable and that prevents me from playing the single player content.

I'm not really bothered about this game in particular, I bought the first game when it was heavily discounted and was really enamoured by it so this will be the same if I di end up buying it.

Tagg9

Okay going to clarify here - pretty sure he's responding to if you can buy them offline. In particular he was answering this question on that one I believe: I have been wondering for the market can you access and buy chests without connection to the Internet if you know

You can see later in the thread he discusses how they merge some answering this question here with a positive response saying it would carry over your mirian.

What you can do is open any chests or make use of the market when disconnected or buy them with even in game currency.

The WB Forums are something of a mess to get through I know with the organization but it doesn't have that and what wccftech is claiming as confirmation is nothing of the sort. They have a tendancy to report badly on stuff.

Thank you for the much needed clarification. This here is the Junior Member we need but definitely don't deserve based on the premature conclusions in this thread.

Recently had a conversation with a friend about a bunch of the major releases left this year. We went down the schedule and I gave a percentage meaning the odds I would but that game.

Shadow of War was the game I was most likely to buy. Now...? Fuck that.

Wanderer5

894.gif

Premium boxes and internet connection require, just what a SP game needs. I mean, maybe the boxes by themselves isn't quite as big of deal if it just to progress through the game faster, but bleh at this internet connection requirement, especially if it relating to these boxes.

Ovek

7Member7
why not 'only on pc'? are you saying there's a way someone could do this on a console?...

Sure if your handy with network packet injection, but developers aren't that stupid nowadays. But this is a developer/publisher that has added pay loot boxes to a single player game which requires a internet connection to play.... so you never know.

Gestault

On some level it's not totally rational, but an online requirement for an otherwise single-player focused game significantly lowers my interest in it. I get that I generally have online access, but there are times I won't. More often than not, those times aren't something I can control. This setup stopped me from buying games like Need For Speed and the Division, and now it's happening with Shadow of War. I'm sure a lot of very hard work went into making it.

This is to say nothing of the long-term consequence of the game going "poof" when hosting servers eventually go offline.

Coboney

Neo Member
Yup, was day 1 for the first one, but got to stop the loot box rot.

I skipped COD IW for the crazy loot box crap, shadow can join that list.

Loot boxes in SP is just crap, you know its going to be grindy, sod that.

Cant even be bothered to read about it, the whole concept is a cancer on gaming.

I'm not a fan of the system in general - I think it's a problem.

However, I also have a problem with WCCFtech claiming it's an always online game when it's not.

Yeah that's it. Preorder cancelled.

The WB community seems to love it though for some weird reason. And any time someone complains about the loot box system they respond with "if you don't like it, then don't use it. Simple."

But it's not that simple. It's a bout principles.

Hektor

On some level it's not totally rational, but an online requirement for an otherwise single-player focused game significantly lowers my interest in it. It happened with Need For Speed, it happened with the Division, and it's now happening with Shadow of War.

If the servers shut down for an always online game you'll never be able to play that game again, i'd say it's absolutely rational.

Madventure

I had to shut off my router/modem setup for a week because I reached my data cap for the month for July with 5 Gigabytes to spare because I don't particularly liked being charged a convenience fee to get extra bandwidth to tide me over.

(Before the defense force of stop downloading/using so much data it's a large household, so even if I used zero data I can't control the other members of it.)

So now constantly having to check if a game requires a connection is frustrating when it adds no value to the game

Bedlam

Haha, fuck this! What is this? 2013 or what!?

Several publishers tried this and turned around. In 2017 you advertise your game's OFFLINE functionality. Get with the times, WB.

Not going to touch this with a ten foot pole. Enjoy your backlash!

Like almost every game?
!? What the hell are you talking about ?!

Fair enough. Only said what I said cause I've seen a lot of threads like these.

Again: what!?

First game I bought because there was a current gen drought. Only way that'd I'd buy this is if it improved on all fronts. Looks like it didn't.

Falchion

Still getting this at some point but it definitely sucks. There's no reason a single player game like this should require a connection.

finley83

Banned
Well of course it does. Can't have people cheating their way around the MT system so better lock in the old always-online DRM as well.

Personally I'm looking forward to when we all have national ID cards and have to link our game accounts to them, so that anyone caught cheating gets reported directly to the police and is banned from all games for life.

This feels like Everything Wrong With the Current Video Game Industry: The Game

And the game is still a couple months out. Plenty of time for more wonderful surprises.

emb

Unacceptable and annoying. For whatever drop in the ocean it's worth, I bought the previous game and probably would have bought this one. (Though to be extra honest, I probably wouldn't have bought right away at full price regardless, so I'm not doing much to help either way <.<)

But it probably makes sense for them. Doubt they really care much about offline players (be it bad connection in the present, or lack of a server in the near future) when the online players are the one's capable of feeding into their money-grabbing lootbox/DLC/whatever systems. No doubt that's a big portion of the revenue many companies see for any given game.

Hopefully they change that. As it stands I'll MAYBE buy it used a year from now. I bought the first day 1 butI can't support this nonsense.

Don't count on it, its clearly for the stupid ass micro-transactions.

I wish more games get the kind of blowback this game seems to be getting, this shit has never been acceptable and to many times if the game is good enough a majority of people just accept it.

I'm not always against micro-transactions, hell despite the large amount of bullshit with the loot boxes in Overwatch I'd still take that system all day any day over having all the events, characters, maps, be something you have to pay for.

But this? In this game? Fuck right off WB, its greed pure and simple.

Top Bottom