• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Update: Shadow of War does not require internet connection to play

Yukinari

I will forever be confused by the argument against always online.

Im super happy that Microsoft screwed the pooch on the Xbone always online because it made me proud that for once we as consumers fought back against something instead of letting it become the norm.

Also anybody remember Assassins Creed 2 on PC? Yeah exactly.

That GIF loaded so smoothly because I have Gigabit fiber internet that has never gone down for anything other than late night maintenance.
tumblr_m9bs0iclxf1qajc4eo1_500.gif

Not everyone is as well off as you. Don't be all "screw you, got mine".

Dadasch

I dont see how they are still having problems with this game, it was broken on launch on PC. How have they not removed/fixed that shit yet.

From what I hear Avalanche even reduced the Framerate through Patches...which are usually used for FIXING the fucking game.

So I guess incompetence and a whole lot of "I don't care, the game is out".

Dragun619

Man, I enjoyed the first one, but This just a single player game still. Wtf? Loot boxes and Internet connection required? And there's not even online multiplayer component to the game? That just seems ridiculous.

Literally no one said it was unreasonable. You got mad because I said this won't affect me.

I was also mad when Microsoft abandoned the always online model for XB1. Sue me.

I will, may I ask for you're country of origins, you're full name, adress, phone number. My lawyer will be in touch. Thank you.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Oh wow. So they impose a loot box system and then an always online requirement to combat people who may cheat the loot system.

In a single player game.

The sad part is I forgot that Monolith is handling the game. I love Monolith, and it's sad to see them take this road.

I really liked the first game; it was simply an enjoyable experience.

But after years of waiting for a sequel, the first news I get SoW is about micro-transactions. And now this?

Great job WB on killing my enthusiasm for your game by bringing back failed Xbone policies. Even if my own PS4 didn't have a wonky wifi-chip and sporadic connection with the internet, I'd find this beyond the pale.

Hopefully they get their act together or I might just have to avoid the game entirely.

Blobbers

Please no one boycott this game, guys. If this doesn't sell well the devs will just go "oh well, this kinda game doesn't appeal to people. let's shelve it for a few gens" because they're bumbling idiots and wouldn't do any research on why their game didn't sell
If anything, write a few stern letters to the publisher, WB, and tell them this is not okay. But then, spend 60 bucks on the game anyway.

I'll reiterate, the devs are not at fault here and even if their game does fail, they're too stupid to ever figure out the reason why, so you might as well buy it

Dadasch

Please no one boycott this game, guys. If this doesn't sell well the devs will just go "oh well, this kinda game doesn't appeal to people. let's shelve it for a few gens" because they're bumbling idiots and wouldn't do any research on why their game didn't sell
If anything, write a few stern letters to the publisher, WB, and tell them this is not okay. But then, spend 60 bucks on the game anyway.

I'll reiterate, the devs are not at fault here and even if their game does fail, they're too stupid to ever figure out the reason why, so you might as well buy it

lmao

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Sounds familiar lol

Disker

Nice i hope here are ingame-leaderboards for trivial things so i can compare stats betwwen my friends :D

Looking forawrd to this game, looks amazing!

dreamfall

HOW.

They just keep digging, this game was not supposed to launch like this. Always online, loot boxes, season pass - it's like the trifecta of shit tier money grabbing from a publisher.

Pezking

And with that I'm out.

Always on single player experiences is where I draw the line.

I really hope this blows up in their faces. Loved Shadow of Mordor, but this crap must not succeed.

I thought this craze ended a few years ago after AC: Unity tanked so hard.

After all of this news, I canceled my pre-order and will take a wait and see approach with this game. I am looking forward to it, but there are enough other things coming out around that time that I can easily pass on this one as I don't want to support these anti-consumer policies.

Van Bur3n

Fortunately they have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Shadow of Mordor.

I read the OP, but I still wanted to make my joke. I am funny.

Krakn3Dfx

Yeah, no, keep it. The loot box shit already turned this game from day 1 to a deep cut for me, forced online is just the final nail in my coffin of interest for this game.

Good job, WB, you've saved me some big money here that I can put into other publishers that aren't so blatant about their disdain of their player base.

RedRum

Banned
Too bad their servers wont care about wether or not you have internet

I had internet during the launch of Sim City and Diablo 3 too. Also whenever Hitman's servers goes down, and it happens all the time. Didn't help me.

Okay. The same when XBL and/or PSN goes down (or my own internet) and I can't play on online game. I know what I'm getting when I buy, but I'm not saying I want things to blow up in the game or devs faces, lol. Just silly.

f@luS

More than a member.
How come there can't be a lawsuit against this ?
Im in vacation with my switch. Hotel wifi isn't free. So I couldn't play their game without paying the hotel ?
Sometimes I have issues with my provider at home. So can't play the game. ? If it bombs or for whatever reason they shy it down I paid a full 60 bucks and I can't use it ?

This should be illegal. Period

Hektor

Okay. The same when XBL and/or PSN goes down (or my own internet) and I can't play on online game. I know what I'm getting when I buy, but I'm not saying I want things to blow up in the game or devs faces, lol. Just silly.

You don't buy. You rent.

There's nothing silly about this.

This literally will make the game entirely unplyable when their servers are shut down. For no good reason, as it is a singlepalyer one that doesn't need this at a all.

This is factually a terrible thing with no upside to it.

Moongazer

Shame because the first game was pretty good too but I can't support this and won't think about buying it unless they reverse this. I like games that I can re-play in the future when I want without worrying about the servers getting permanently shut down which will happen eventually with this game.

The Eye of Sauron Warner is always watching.

I wonder if they go full WB and the PC version will also be a trash fire for no good reason too

Vashetti

Banned
Im in vacation with my switch. Hotel wifi isn't free. So I couldn't play their game without paying the hotel ?
Sometimes I have issues with my provider at home. So can't play the game. ? If it bombs or for whatever reason they shy it down I paid a full 60 bucks and I can't use it ?

Thankfully you don't have to worry as Shadow of War isn't coming to Switch.

Maximus P

The always online doesn't bother me. My console is always connected, always, and I'm fortunate to have very little downtime on my Internet connection.

The loot box however are annoying. Hopefully this game pulls through. I really enjoyed the first.

Lingitiz

That's a pretty extreme view. My anger with this is that the requirement is entirely unneeded and doesn't benefit the experience at all. In a game like Destiny which is always online, it makes sense.

Hektor

The always online doesn't bother me. My console is always connected, always, and I'm fortunate to have very little downtime on my Internet connection.

The loot box however are annoying. Hopefully this game pulls through. I really enjoyed the first.

At the risk of repeating myself for a third time:

Their servers won't give the slightest of shits about how your internet doesn't have downtime.

Shin-Ra

As we all know, as long as your own ISP's perfect, you'll never experience loss of other services.

Gestault

I will forever be confused by the argument against always online.

More or less, it's this: It's an arbitrary thing that can prevent you from playing a game you bought. Whether that's because your internet is down, the servers are disrupted, the service platform has engineering/capacity problems, or the servers have been taken down.

Internet access is necessary for online play, and sometimes for service-centered games. People understand that well, and accept it readily. But I've never encountered a good explanation for barring access to a retail-model single-player experience.

RedRum

Banned
You don't buy. You rent.

There's nothing silly about this.

This literally will make the game entirely unplyable when their servers are shut down. For no good reason, as it is a singlepalyer one that doesn't need this at a all.

This is factually a terrible thing with no upside to it.

If and when the servers go down I'm sure there will be plenty of complaints. If they want always online to prevent their shitty microtransaction system, then so be it. Can't fault them for that.

This. Don't like the loot shit. However, if I can play it without needing them that's fine. If people want to spend their own money on it, fine too.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I understand why people get made when they think single player games is always online. However, if you read trough the entire thread posted in OP, the developer answers a few questions about offline play. The game is playable offline, but you have to be online in order to purchase stuff with microtransactions, obviously.

Gestault

lmao, that's perfect

[IUnderstoodThatReference.gif]

Top Bottom