• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Update: Shadow of War does not require internet connection to play

WadeitOut

That's great. What you gonna do when the WB servers are down or XBL/PSN?

Probably the same thing I do when that already happens with games that I play online. Play something else. The difference being I will probably be finished with this game within a week like most single player games.

Montresor

Please, anyone who says "I'll be online anyway", please consider this:

One of the few single player online-only single player games in recent memory is Ubisoft's The Crew. That game will lose connection to the Internet and boot you to the main menu if you minimize the game (at least it did on Xbox).

So if Shadow Of War works the same way, then doing any of the following will boot you to the main menu and make you lose all progress:

1) Minimize the game to watch a Netflix episode or movie
2) Minimize the game to view a recent screenshot or recorded video from Shadow of War in the GameDVR app
3) Minimize the game to view the Store and decide whether or not you want to buy any DLC in Shadow of War
4) Minimize the game to double check a friend's achievements in Shadow of War

Etc...

This all happened to me in The Crew even while maintaining a consistent Internet connection. The game didn't know how to maintain a connection when the game was minimized / running in the background. If Shadow Of War works the same way then a single player consumer of this game is going to be severely impacted, at virtually benefit to him/her. Just to add loot boxes to a single player game.

Assassin's Creed games have had these types of dumb microtransactions per years but they've never forced people to be always online.

I'll be playing Assassin's Creed Origins but I may skip out on Shadow Of War.

Dadasch

I started playing JC3 today (PS Plus)...this fucking game has connection issues all the fucking time and even after confirming that I want to play with this fucking "offline mode" it tries to reconnect after fucking 5 minutes, which lasts 2 fucking minutes

Thank God I can play this with a disabled Internet Connection.

In other words: Fuck Shadow of War.

I was fine with the Market since I'm playing on PC and can just Cheat Engine my way around things. But I'm assuming this step is to make sure players can't do that. So I'll pass on this until it's super cheap.

I don't quite understand how this makes any sense.

The benefit of having loot boxes in games is supposed to be that the game's supported with free content post-launch, but on top of this game having loot boxes and always-online in order to prevent people from getting currency illegitimately, the game also has paid DLC?

Like, what reason are they providing behind throwing microtransactions into the game without any post-launch support?

If people don't boycott this shit.

Hektor

I'm a little behind regarding news, but what lootboxes are you all talking about?

Like the ones in Overwatch but actually affecting your singleplayer gameplay

I don't quite understand how this makes any sense.

The benefit of having loot boxes in games is supposed to be that the game's supported with free content post-launch, but on top of this game having loot boxes and always-online in order to prevent people from getting currency illegitimately, the game also has paid DLC?

Like, what reason are they providing behind throwing microtransactions into the game without any post-launch support?

If people don't boycott this shit.

onedollar_y8fv5r.jpg

eshwaaz

Probably the same thing I do when that already happens with games that I play online. Play something else. The difference being I will probably be finished with this game within a week like most single player games.
"It doesn't affect me personally, so I don't care."

Some of us like to revisit games years after the fact. I also don't like the idea that my $60 single player game will be 100% useless at the publisher's whim.

I started playing JC3 today (PS Plus)...this fucking game has connection issues all the fucking time and even after confirming that I want to play with this fucking "offline mode" it tries to reconnect after fucking 5 minutes, which lasts 2 fucking minutes.

I dont see how they are still having problems with this game, it was broken on launch on PC. How have they not removed/fixed that shit yet.

Gamezone

Gold Member
If this game becomes successful, please enjoy always online and microtransactions in every upcoming game published by WB.

Ubisoft had to remove the fleet stuff from Black Flag after too many complaints, and EA choose the offline path with the upcoming NFS for the same reason.

Okay going to clarify here - pretty sure he's responding to if you can buy them offline. In particular he was answering this question on that one I believe: I have been wondering for the market can you access and buy chests without connection to the Internet if you know

You can see later in the thread he discusses how they merge some answering this question here with a positive response saying it would carry over your mirian.

What you can do is open any chests or make use of the market when disconnected or buy them with even in game currency.

The WB Forums are something of a mess to get through I know with the organization but it doesn't have that and what wccftech is claiming as confirmation is nothing of the sort. They have a tendancy to report badly on stuff.
Yeah, this makes sense. Will wait for further confirmation, though the loot box microtransactions themselves have already soured me on what was my most anticipated game for the rest of the year.

WadeitOut

"It doesn't affect me personally, so I don't care."

Some of us like to revisit games years after the fact. I also don't like the idea that my $60 single player game will be 100% useless at the publisher's whim.

"I don't like to hear opinions that don't align with mine"

It's okay for you to be outraged and for others to not have a problem with it. We are talking about a video game requirement not warlords stealing food from people in Somalia.

Jawmuncher

I don't care about the loot boxes if they're balanced and don't basically become mandatory.
However the Online Only needs to go.

Okay going to clarify here - pretty sure he's responding to if you can buy them offline. In particular he was answering this question on that one I believe: I have been wondering for the market can you access and buy chests without connection to the Internet if you know

You can see later in the thread he discusses how they merge some answering this question here with a positive response saying it would carry over your mirian.

What you can do is open any chests or make use of the market when disconnected or buy them with even in game currency.

The WB Forums are something of a mess to get through I know with the organization but it doesn't have that and what wccftech is claiming as confirmation is nothing of the sort. They have a tendancy to report badly on stuff.

This needs to be in the OP!

eshwaaz

"I don't like to hear opinions that don't align with mine"

It's okay for you to be outraged and for others to not have a problem with it. We are talking about a video game requirement not warlords stealing food from people in Somalia.
Nowhere did I express outrage, and your Somalia comparison is laughable. Folks being upset about this is reasonable.

Peroroncino

Guess now I ain't even gonna buy it used.

It makes sense though, now they can make sure people aren't gonna use cheats offline and will have to buy lootboxes in order to quickly [and randomly] progress. So yeah, take those lootboxes and shove them up your fucking ass, I'm out.

gogosox82

WTF? I was done with the game after hearing about the lootboxes but this is just ridiculous. No way should this be a thing in 2017.

Maximo

Loot Box's and always online? Yeah nope it's a non purchase for me, probably has Denovo for good measure too.

There's no reason for them to exist if the game isn't balanced around them
Would love to know whether the marketplace is the reason for the loot and rarities in the game design, or whether that marketplace came about after the fact.

tIky5Io.jpg

My heart tells me its the former.

WadeitOut

Nowhere did I express outrage, and your Somalia comparison is laughable. Folks being upset about this is reasonable.

Literally no one said it was unreasonable. You got mad because I said this won't affect me.

I was also mad when Microsoft abandoned the always online model for XB1. Sue me.

Hektor

I will forever be confused by the argument against always online.

That people don't like their fact that their 60$ fullprice title becomes forever unplayable when the server are being shut down or temporarily every time they have trouble with their own internet connection is indeed very confusing.

UberTag

You know what to do, fellas. Punish this game and ensure they never make this mistake again. Spread the word.
If Monolith is shuttered as a result, it's a needed sacrifice. It's not like they're going to make another F.E.A.R. or Condemned game anyhow.

I will forever be confused by the argument against always online.
Its unnecessary, puts your gameplay time at the whim of the game's services, any platform online services and your own internet connection stability (any one of those goes down and you're hosed), with its only justification being to protect a microtransaction economy, which themselves already warp game design towards grinds.

In a single player game.

Its all negatives with no positives that can't be achieved with an optional online system.

Hopefully we find out that this is just a misunderstanding.

eshwaaz

Literally no one said it was unreasonable. You got mad because I said this won't affect me.

I was also mad when Microsoft abandoned the always online model for XB1. Sue me.
Fair enough.

Gotta admit - there were aspects that model I liked. Shame the messaging was such a mess.

kc44135

Damn, I was actually looking forward to this game, but yeah, fuck this. Not buying this game (or any single-player game that requires an internet connection), no sir.

Top Bottom