• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Updated List of Nintendo Companies - Employee Count

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Nintendo Company Limited (Global) - 5,120 Total Employees
* Nintendo of Japan - 2,009 Employees
* Nintendo of America - 1,257 Employees
* Nintendo of Europe - 868 Employees
* Nintendo of Australia - 75 Employees
* iQue - ? Employees
* Mario Club - 305 Employees
* ND Cube - ? Employees
* Nintendo European Research & Development - 30+ Employees
* Nintendo Network Service Database - ? Employees
* Nintendo Technology Development - 30+ Employees
* Nintendo Software Technology - 50+ Employees
* Retro Studios - 70+ Employees
* Monolith Soft - 109 Employees
* 1-Up Studio - 30 Employees
* NES Merchandising - ? Employees

Major Affiliate
* The Pokemon Company - 400 Employees
* HAL Laboratory - 149 Employees
* Intelligent Systems - 134 Employees
* SRD - 107 Employees
* Creatures - 84 Employees
* Genius Sonority - 22 Employees
* Pux - ? Employees
* Warpstar - ? Employees

Contract / Minor Affiliate
* GameFreak
* DeNa
* Alpha Dream
* Vanpool
* Hatena
* Grezzo
* Next Level Games
* Headstrong Games
* Indies Zero
* Camelot Software
* Digipen Studios
* First Avenue Entertainment (Seattle Mariners)

Updated June 2016

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Rösti;208673349 said:
Does this information come from the 2016 CSR report, or some other document?

Yup. CSR (NOA, NOE, NOAU) and all the subsidiary / affiliate websites which have current March - May 2016 employee listings.

Peltz

People really overestimate how large Nintendo is. They are such a small company considering the breadth of their software output and the fact that they are one of the 3 most prominent dedicated video game hardware manufacturers in the world.

They do a lot with very little which kinda explains why they struggle sometimes.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I keep forgetting that they straight up don't own Intelligent Systems.

More like a back-end long term contract and Nintendo owns all the IPs. So Intelligent Systems has no reason or incentive to exit.

- Forgot some of the Japanese long term contract developers (Grezzo, Camelot, etc).

Nightbird

It's a sales, support, marketing, localization, and distribution arm. That tends to be a lot of staff at a publisher, and I imagine notably more at a console vendor.

Well, okay. I can see that.

It's still disappointing that NOA doesn't get to to do bigger stuff though.

L~A

What about the European subsidiaries (Nintendo France for example)? Not talking about those like Nintendo UK which are NoE subsidiaries.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
The list is missing ND Cube.

Adjusted. We don't have an employee number for them listed anywhere. They are probably around 80-100 developers.

What about the European subsidiaries (Nintendo France for example)? Not talking about those like Nintendo UK which are NoE subsidiaries.

NOA has the smaller chapters in the Americas (Nintendo of Canada) under them. NOE has the smaller chapters throughout Euro (Nintendo of France, Nintendo of UK) under them.

More like a back-end long term contract and Nintendo owns all the IPs. So Intelligent Systems has no reason or incentive to exit.

- Forgot some of the Japanese long term contract developers (Grezzo, Camelot, etc).

Huh, I didn't know this at all. I thought Intelligent Systems was first party.

Toad.T

Banned
I want to assume that country specific branches (Nintendo of Canada) are bundled with their continental parent? (NoA)

L~A

Adjusted. We don't have an employee number for them listed anywhere. They are probably around 80-100 developers.

NOA has the smaller chapters in the Americas (Nintendo of Canada) under them. NOE has the smaller chapters throughout Euro (Nintendo of France, Nintendo of UK) under them.

Alright, thanks for the clarification.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Warpstar? Are they new? I don't remember ever seeing them before. I wonder if they do something with Kirby.

JB2448

Warpstar? Are they new? I don't remember ever seeing them before. I wonder if they do something with Kirby.

Warpstar's been around since the anime aired. It's co-owned by HAL Laboratory and Nintendo 50-50. Quoting Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HAL_Laboratory said:
HAL owns 50% of Warpstar, Inc., the production company that created the Kirby: Right Back at Ya! anime series.
They also do merchandise licensing, I believe?

Edit: Beaten by StreetsAhead.

Snakeyes

Yea I dont know why they wont expand Retro or invest in a big western dev

If NCL hasn't changed their mind on how to manage their overseas subsidiaries, it might have something to do with not being able to keep bigger western development studios on a tight leash.

AdanVC

Very few if we compare with Ubisoft that has pretty much the same number of people working just on the Ass Creed games. But of course they don't compare. Each Nintendo employee is gold, especially the developers. I think that's why Nintendo barely does lay-offs.

georly

NOA is so large and yet they only develop small eshop games

NoA doesn't develop any games, do they? They have a localization branch in the treehouse, but it's mostly just publisher business, like marketing and sales and representatives and such.

What games does NoA develop?

Top Bottom