• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Updated List of Nintendo Companies - Employee Count

Snakeyes

NoA doesn't develop any games, do they? They have a localization branch in the treehouse, but it's mostly just publisher business, like marketing and sales and representatives and such.

What games does NoA develop?

They worked on the most recent Mario vs DK IIRC

TheJoRu

NoA doesn't develop any games, do they? They have a localization branch in the treehouse, but it's mostly just publisher business, like marketing and sales and representatives and such.

What games does NoA develop?

NoA as a subsidary does not do game development (apart from writing/localization) as far as I know, it's not their function. With that said, NST (Nintendo Software Technology, works mostly on Mario vs. Donkey Kong) resides inside the NoA Redmond offices. But they are considered their own division, so while they are tightly connected to NoA in that sense they are not really part of NoA.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
They're for Kirby-related licensing, iirc.

Warpstar's been around since the anime aired. It's co-owned by HAL Laboratory and Nintendo 50-50. Quoting Wikipedia:

They also do merchandise licensing, I believe?

Edit: Beaten by StreetsAhead.

Ah, okay. I wondered if it was that. Well, they need to be more productive and license Kirby to more things! I see a lot of cool Kirby products pop up in Japan but never really in the US!

Mory Dunz

HAL is bigger than Intelligent Systems?

I'm surprised.

Does HAL handle all the current Kirby games? and do they do anything else?

Mael

HAL is bigger than Intelligent Systems?

I'm surprised.

Does HAL handle all the current Kirby games? and do they do anything else?

If it hasn't changed they work on tools and stuffs also.
like their biggest contributions are tools that other Nintendo studio uses.
Really unsexy job but damn more useful.
Or maybe I'm confusing them with someone else.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I didn't realize NST was as big as they are (50+). I thought they were around 20-30 employees.

They were moving to the 100s on the heels of Metroid Prime Hunters. They have numbers, and are hiring, it's up to NCL to let them do something worthwhile.

Shouldn't the Mariners and DeNA be Major Affiliates as Nintendo (now) owns 10% of each?

I wish we knew HAL's place here. Junichi Masuda claimed that HAL is actually "a part of Nintendo" awhile back:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1134392

What if any amount of shares does Nintendo own of them? Also, I know Nintendo at least at one point owned like 32% of Genius Sonority do that basically defines 2nd-party to me so they fit that list.

Also shocked HAL is 149 employees while Retro is only half that size at 70+, yet the former hardly makes console games and I believe Rainbow Curse had a small team behind it to boot.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
What if any amount of shares does Nintendo own of them? Also, I know Nintendo at least at one point owned like 32% of Genius Sonority do that basically defines 2nd-party to me so they fit that list.

Both Nintendo and TPC own shares of Genius Sonority.

Also shocked HAL is 149 employees while Retro is only half that size at 70+, yet the former hardly makes console games and I believe Rainbow Curse had a small team behind it to boot.

HAL Labs dedicates resources as a Nintendo system development team. That's actually how Face Raiders happened, they were working with Nintendo's tech team on AR.

If it hasn't changed they work on tools and stuffs also.
like their biggest contributions are tools that other Nintendo studio uses.
Really unsexy job but damn more useful.
Or maybe I'm confusing them with someone else.

HAL also does some games besides Kirby; namely BoyBoy & Picross 3D. Nothing too resource intensive, though. They used to do Pokemon Ranger, too, but I guess meh sales and increased dev requirements for Wii U/3DS over the previous generation meant they couldn't afford the staff.

EDIT: Shikamaru, the OP says 1-Up is 20 employees, but the site linked to above says 30 as of May 2016. Typo?

The Giant

Banned
Even though Hal and Intelligent Systems are 3rd party with basically a life time contract with Nintendo. I consider them unofficial 1st party studios.

Mael

HAL also does some games besides Kirby; namely BoyBoy & Picross 3D. Nothing too resource intensive, though. They used to do Pokemon Ranger, too, but I guess meh sales and increased dev requirements for Wii U/3DS over the previous generation meant they couldn't afford the staff.

The way I get it neither HAL nor IS are that into making games more than providing tools that nintendo uses to work on their own projects.
Kinda like how the hardware team at Nintendo do the most thankless job at Nintendo but are the very reason the people handling the software do such a bang up job.
Depends also on their timetables I guess, I mean IS was never the most prolific part of the whole Nintendo environment either after all.
thinking about it, it's really crazy how SSB64/M was HAL, SSBB was GameArts and SSB4 was NamcoBandaï.

Nessus

They were moving to the 100s on the heels of Metroid Prime Hunters. They have numbers, and are hiring, it's up to NCL to let them do something worthwhile.

Seems like the disaster that was Project HAMMER's development cycle really killed any trust NCL had in them.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
The way I get it neither HAL nor IS are that into making games more than providing tools that nintendo uses to work on their own projects.

IS has been a game assistant for the larger part of their softography. But most sites interpret it as them being THE DEVELOPER or sole developer quite often. Recently they have been working as the lead developer on a lot of projects (Under Nintendo EPD and with additional agencies helping them.)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It's a brand management company more than anything. Most of their employees are actually retail workers manning the Pokemon Centers across Japan (and US?).

Most of those employees would not be listed here, because they wouldn't be full-time employees.

Mael

IS has been a game assistant for the larger part of their softography. But most sites interpret it as them being THE DEVELOPER or sole developer quite often. Recently they have been working as the lead developer on a lot of projects (Under Nintendo EPD and with additional agencies helping them.)

Thanks for the insight (great thread btw).
I guess the internal working of the company and the corporate cultures are hard to grasp from the outside.
After the late Iwata was chosen as the future head of Ncl I kinda got the idea that they were more fluid in their relationship than what we tend to understand in the west.
I think I found GBA tools for pc by IS (I think) and while the thing is quite useless for me (I don't even have the font to get anything showing in an intelligible language in most of my comps) I get from that that they're more involved than what the credits show them.
Kinda like that 01Net interview were someone was explaining some stuffs that people took the wrong way when it's really not anything inflammatory to begin with.

The Giant

Banned
Nintendo still hasn't revealed the mysterious company they bought out for $100 million, 2 years ago.

Has to be NX or QOL releated.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I can't understand how NOE can have nearly half of the headcount of NCL, yet produce fuck all - while the NCL headcount makes games, consoles, handhelds, branding, on top of the sales and marketing in their region. Seriously what do all those NOE people do?

I can't understand how NOE can have nearly half of the headcount of NCL, yet produce fuck all - while the NCL headcount makes games, consoles, handhelds, branding, on top of the sales and marketing in their region. Seriously what do all those NOE people do?
You didn't get the memo, I see. NCL is too bloody stuck up to let NoA or NOE do anything at all. They're just mouthpieces and distribution planners. With a bit of localisation on the side.

Instro

So Monolith Soft actually got smaller. That really makes me wondering. After all it was much more likely that they grew bigger.

There's a few possibilities. Some of those people may have been contractors signed specifically for XCX development, thus a natural downsizing as the team is now only in pre/early production of their next big game. Also possible that Monolith is to some degree treated like any other internal Nintendo team in that some of the staff shift around to other Nintendo teams, like those that are currently helping with Zelda. Could be that they are now being counted as part of NoJ.

wrowa

And of the 2000 people working at NCL, somewhere between 1000 and 500 people are likely doing the kind of jobs that also make for the bulk of NoA's and NoE's headcount. What's your point?

zsidane

And of the 2000 people working at NCL, somewhere between 1000 and 500 people are likely doing the kind of jobs that also make for the bulk of NoA's and NoE's headcount. What's your point?

NoE manages several countries (same goes for NOA, who includes Canada and Mexico at least).
I also believe localization eats up a big chunk of that headcount.

Jackano

I think Shikamaru mentioned he's counting every local subsidiaries in this total?
They have global managers, logistic/retailer managers, local PR/marketing guys, etc... in all countries where they have a subsidiary so UK, France, Spain, Switz, etc...
In Frankfort they also have all the localization teams afaik, as well as some developers relations guys.

Top Bottom