• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF - Suggest an NBA team to follow

Status
Not open for further replies.

cormack12

Gold Member
Since opening my eyes to the wonders of Kodi and TV on demand, it finally gives me a chance to actually have the opportunity to follow NBA properly. So I'll give you a little bit of info and hopefully it will narrow my options down to pick a team to follow. I'm UK based for info so I could read wiki entries but I figure the knowledge from proper fans will be much better suited. Hoping to end up with a shortlist of 3 at most here :)

1. Of the places I've been and seen in the US, I definitely prefer the West Coast;
2. I don't want to just support the team that walks the title each year (if this actually is a thing in NBA);
3. I prefer teams that play to a decent technical level;
4. Like teams with a bit of heritage and history;
5. Always winning isn't important but I wanna follow someone that realistically challenges;
6. I prefer teams that take a chance on some improvised play now and again;
7. I like coaches who take a risk now and again, and are not afraid to try things rather than stick with 'tried and trusted'.

Fire away........that enough to make a suggestion?

Rhaegar

3. I prefer teams that play to a decent technical level;

Sounds like you're looking for a college basketball team.

Alternatively, the San Antonio Spurs are technically strong, but I'm not sure improvisation is a big part of their gameplan.

Go with the lakers. It's like picking up the best stock at the lowest price. When they're good again, people can't call you a bandwagon fan.

Probably the Spurs or the Clippers

New York Knicks. History of success. Storied Franchise. Great owner.

05d.jpg

Quixzlizx

Not a West Coast team, but the GM of the Houston Rockets (Daryl Morey) is known as a bit of a mad scientist of the NBA. The way he builds his teams are based entirely around statistical analysis rather than traditional wisdom. The Rockets have kind of been semi-contenders who haven't advanced very far in the playoffs the past few years, but they are looking pretty strong so far this season.

They also have a decent history, including winning the NBA championship both seasons that Michael Jordan took off in the middle of his career.

I'm biased towards the Miami Heat. If we still had Lebron, that'd be the choice.

Right now though the obvious choice is Golden State Warriors. West coast, exciting style, and great cities (Bay area, San Francisco/Oakland)

Possibly LA Clippers too.

based on your overall criterion: warriors or blazers

if you care about number 3 a lot then the hawks

Not a West Coast team, but the GM of the Houston Rockets (Daryl Morey) is known as a bit of a mad scientist of the NBA. The way he builds his teams are based entirely around statistical analysis rather than traditional wisdom. The Rockets have kind of been semi-contenders who haven't advanced very far in the playoffs the past few years, but they are looking pretty strong so far this season.

They also have a decent history, including winning the NBA championship both seasons that Michael Jordan took off in the middle of his career.

lolololol rockets games are unwatchable because kevin mchale is a moron who literally doesn't run any plays so its just harden flopping for free throws aka why they wont ever crack the 2nd round

Yeah Golden State's finished above .500 in the last few years I think but they're having an amazing season this year too. They have like 3 championships to their name too.

Ninjimbo

The Warriors are the easiest to root for right now.

I would also recommend the Heat because Chris Bosh is the most likable superstar in the NBA.

Quixzlizx

based on your overall criterion: warriors or blazers

if you care about number 3 a lot then the hawks

lolololol rockets games are unwatchable because kevin mchale is a moron who literally doesn't run any plays so its just harden flopping for free throws aka why they wont ever crack the 2nd round

Well, the problem is that the technically sound teams don't have a lot of improvisation, since improvisation ruins the offensive flow of the technically sound scheme.

Amory

If you wanna catch a team that'll be on their way up sooner than later, go with the Celtics.

They basically got stripped of all their good players over the past couple years but what's left is an energetic group of young players who play hard and are fun to watch. And they have the cap space and a slew of draft picks to improve a ton over the next 5 or so years, especially in the eastern conference.

Plus they're the Celtics, so naturally they're fucking awesome.

Suns if you like to follow a team that will drive you to madness.
Nets if you want to follow a franchise who will be bad for quite a while.
Spurs if you want a well coached team , who keeps being top tier without the necessity of throwing stupid money during free agency .

Or you go with the Bulls and weep come playoff time.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Blazers
Warriors (bandwagon overflowing, though)
Rockets

Don't pick the Clippers. Bunch of unlikable whiners.

Daft Bird

The Blazers are great for you. They don't have the most history of west coast teams but are fun to watch and should be for years to come.

New York Knicks if you like your OT's dominated by whining from fans of a team that's been irrelevant for a decade and a half

this season? Warriors or Hawks

Amory

nice try Bill.

I think it's a great pick for the OP :) the only thing on his list that we don't have is being on the west coast.

You don't wanna pick a team like the Warriors, that's bandwagon central. Their success is great for people who have rooted for them for all the shit years but to start cheering for them now would be lame.

The Celtics are all kinds of bad, but there's actually a solid plan in place to improve relatively soon.

Suns if you like to follow a team that will drive you to madness.
Nets if you want to follow a franchise who will be bad for quite a while.
Spurs if you want a well coached team , who keeps being top tier without the necessity of throwing stupid money during free agency .

Or you go with the Bulls and weep come playoff time.

:(

nomster

Golden state is looking like a good one to stick with for awhile. Nice young team, good coach, likeable star player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom