• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF - Suggest an NBA team to follow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isak_Borg

I would say the N.Y. Knicks but looks like folks have that covered.

You missed the glorious #KnicksTape era but you can join us for Langsanity!

Warriors
Blazers

Please please please don't choose the Clippers. They used to be my favorite/only team, but they are SOOOO dirty these days. Most technical fouls in the NBA this year. They even got goody two shoes KD to say they cry too much (which they totally do).

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
If you like the west coast, I'd go with

reeves.jpg

or

nba_g_collison_b1_576.jpg

Just kidding, those aren't even teams anymore. :(

Kite

The San Antonio Spurs are probably the best team for you, the coach is arguably the best in the league and the team plays a modified euro-style basketball that is all about teamwork and player & ball movement instead of boring isolation plays for the superstars. It's so effective that other teams are copying it, most notably the Atlanta Hawks who have changed overnight from a garbage team no one cared about to one of the most best.. and whats crazy is that they don't have any real super star players but are destroying people.

Other likable teams are the Grizzlies if you like defensive teams and the Golden State Warriors if you like lots of 3-point snipers.

My man, forget the west coast, come root for the Wizards. We got the right mix of youth (John Wall, Bradley Beal, Otto Porter Jr.) and veterans (Old man Pierce, Nene and a resurging Rasual Butler). Our coach is pretty solid and we will probably get bumped out of the first round of the playoffs because we can't beat a competitive team for the life of us and this is DC sports so who the hell am I kidding.

Root for OKC, Kevin Durant will entertain you until he joins the Wizards in 2016 ;)

sounds like you want the portland trailblazers based on your criteria

warriors are also a great option

1. Portland is a pretty interesting city to visit and one of the best places in the US to be, at least during the summer.
2. Haven't won since 1977 though have made it to the finals a couple times and had some serious heartbreak since then. Fringe contender this year.
3. Solid, team oriented offensive system, good defensive fundamentals.
4. They're the only game in town and the fans have been through a lot over the last few decades.
5. Generally competitive, not a favorite to win the west this year, but there's certainly an outside chance of that happening. Good underdog story if you're into that kind of thing.
6/7. Most teams only have a few sets that they consistently run several options out of, and almost every team shares those sets. That said, there are ways to get an edge and terry stotts is developing into one of the top coaches in the league due to rick carlisle's influence. The spurs, hawks, warriors, blazers, mavericks, and grizzlies are all known for possessing sound team passing skills and are all very fun to watch.

Lakers. Great franchise, ton of history, on the west coast (where you've been), most aesthetically pleasing colors/court design, and the location is so appealing that they will never be bad for more than a couple years at a time. They suck now because the league screwed them over by rescinding the Chris Paul trade, but they have a good salary cap situation going forward and the most appealing market.

Don't pick the Clippers, bunch of front-running unlikable players that are more athletic than skilled (except Chris Paul, he's great). Getting the franchise away from the former racist owner has merely disguised the fact that their new owner and GM are terrible. They won't win a title with this squad. CP3 deserves better.

The Rockets are an abomination. Their philosophy is to shoot only dunks/layups and threes, even if they are not good three point shooters. Basically "if we throw up any old three more quickly then the other team, some of them will go in!" Plus they employ Harden, who throws himself at defenders to get bailed out by refs and the cringe worthy Dwight Howard. You don't want to root for this shit show.

Warriors are a good choice and they'll be good for awhile. Trail Blazers are well coached and contain two really good superstars. Grizzlies are good if you like defense and post play, but some people find that boring. Spurs are really fun to watch if you like motion offense and basketball fundamentals. The Hawks are like the East Coast version of the Spurs, but younger and more athletic. The Thunder have two of the five best players, but are very poorly coached and run, so they can be frustrating. Finally, the Mavs have Dirk, an all time great who is really fun to watch, but the team isn't that great.

You've got a lot of choices, but I'd go with the Lakers. It's fun watching a team put together the pieces and go along for the ride.

Don't follow the Bulls because this team will break your heart. Stubborn coach who overplays guys, a former MVP playing like trash, super passive front office that won't make a trade to adress the obvious lack of shooting and a cheap ass owner. It's just frustrating.

Recommend you follow the Warriors or Grizzlies.

Fjordson

Don't follow the Bulls because this team will break your heart. Stubborn coach who overplays guys, a former MVP playing like trash, super passive front office that won't make a trade to adress the obvious lack of shooting and a cheap ass owner. It's just frustrating.

Recommend you follow the Warriors or Grizzlies.
Isn't Jimmy Butler playing SG? Unless you just mean literally a guard who specializes in shooting.

Jimmy is playing shooting guard but he doesn't spread the floor. The Bulls need someone like Korver at SF. Since Dunleavy went down, they have been playing like shit.

My man, forget the west coast, come root for the Wizards. We got the right mix of youth (John Wall, Bradley Beal, Otto Porter Jr.) and veterans (Old man Pierce, Nene and a resurging Rasual Butler). Our coach is pretty solid and we will probably get bumped out of the first round of the playoffs because we can't beat a competitive team for the life of us and this is DC sports so who the hell am I kidding.

Root for OKC, Kevin Durant will entertain you until he joins the Wizards in 2016 ;)

Get that pessimism out of here, we will make it to second round again.

Philadelphia 76ers

They're not having a good season but they've been looking good as of late. They only lost by 5 to the Warriors yesterday.

They have a young core of players including last year's rookie of the year Michael Carter-Williams and a contender for this year's Nerlens Noel. They are looking to have a top 5 pick in next year's draft as well.

Plus the team has a storied history and a passionate fanbase. Some of the greatest to ever play the game have suited up for the Sixers. Wilt Chamberlain, Julius Erving, Moses Malone, Charles Barkley, Allen Iverson, and more.

Also, they have their own theme song.

bestSixers.jpg

beat

Warriors, Hawks, Spurs. The Spurs might have the best coach and the most veteran experience, but the Warriors are younger and (knock on wood) more durable this season than the Spurs.

I've actually been following the Knicks a lot these past few years because of the incredible dysfunction, but that might not be what everyone wants. Still, they lost two games last season because they shot ill-advised threes instead of milking the shot clock. Two! The latter was even by one of the guys who looked in disbelief at the guy who did it the first time! Unfortunately, they fired Mike Woodson, who was an incredibly bad coach, and replaced him with the bad-to-acceptable Derek Fisher, so I gather that the Knicks aren't routinely blowing chances for two-for-ones anymore.

Soonri

Hawks, Warriors, Suns, Blazers, Spurs, Mavs, Thunder and Clippers imo

Honestly any Western Conference playoff team is good to follow, while my East favorites are Hawks, Wizards, and Cavs

there are plenty of seats still available on the Whiteside train if you're into watching promising athletic 7 footers with egos averaging a strong double double while doing the dream shake.

Lakers. Great franchise, ton of history, on the west coast (where you've been), most aesthetically pleasing colors/court design, and the location is so appealing that they will never be bad for more than a couple years at a time. They suck now because the league screwed them over by rescinding the Chris Paul trade, but they have a good salary cap situation going forward and the most appealing market.

Don't pick the Clippers, bunch of front-running unlikable players that are more athletic than skilled (except Chris Paul, he's great). Getting the franchise away from the former racist owner has merely disguised the fact that their new owner and GM are terrible. They won't win a title with this squad. CP3 deserves better.

The Rockets are an abomination. Their philosophy is to shoot only dunks/layups and threes, even if they are not good three point shooters. Basically "if we throw up any old three more quickly then the other team, some of them will go in!" Plus they employ Harden, who throws himself at defenders to get bailed out by refs and the cringe worthy Dwight Howard. You don't want to root for this shit show.

Warriors are a good choice and they'll be good for awhile. Trail Blazers are well coached and contain two really good superstars. Grizzlies are good if you like defense and post play, but some people find that boring. Spurs are really fun to watch if you like motion offense and basketball fundamentals. The Hawks are like the East Coast version of the Spurs, but younger and more athletic. The Thunder have two of the five best players, but are very poorly coached and run, so they can be frustrating. Finally, the Mavs have Dirk, an all time great who is really fun to watch, but the team isn't that great.

You've got a lot of choices, but I'd go with the Lakers. It's fun watching a team put together the pieces and go along for the ride.

"here a bunch of objectively better choices but choose the lakers because i'm a sychophantic homer"

Apath

This is a silly way to choose a team to follow.

Watch a few games and see which teams you enjoy the most to watch. If you specifically want a west coast team (for some reason), narrow the games you watch to west coast teams. Just make sure to not just look for teams that win the most; they won't always be a winning team, and it will lead you to question why you even follow them at all.
"here a bunch of objectively better choices but choose the lakers because i'm a sychophantic homer"
I mean, the Lakers suck now but they won't suck forever. Likewise, good teams now can very easily suck in the near future. There is some merit to the idea that it is fun to watch a team grow and turn into something, and the Lakers have one of the richest histories in the NBA.

If you want a team based on potential, start watching the 76ers.
They really do break your fucking heart. I don't agree with the rest of your post, but God damn have they been painful to follow this season. At least last season we had heart and gave it our all.

Warriors or Blazers. Both young and exciting teams with a top NBA superstar (or two) on each. They also have some of the best fan bases in the league.

I mean, the Lakers suck now but they won't suck forever. Likewise, good teams now can very easily suck in the near future. There is some merit to the idea that it is fun to watch a team grow and turn into something, and the Lakers have one of the richest histories in the NBA.

there are other franchises that suck but actually have some semblance of solid young players to follow. the lakers are a trash heap with no bluechip talent, an idiot coach and a drunk fratboy owner who gets called out by magic johnson every 6 months.

Mully

The Knicks.

It'll be a huge surprise if they win, but most of the time they're like that one Storage Wars episode where everyone loses and you feel like garbage.

Do the Lakers not have a well established history of landing premier free agents or top trade targets due to their market? They've been bad before, but usually aren't bad for long. OP was asking for a team to root for going forward, not just this season.

Fitzy

This man knows whats up ;) The different Wizards twitter guys are awesome to follow as well. Great entertainment no matter how the game is going. I enjoy any #Wittmanface and miss the days of them posting pictures of Lord Athreeza.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Philadelphia 76ers

They're not having a good season but they've been looking good as of late. They only lost by 5 to the Warriors yesterday.

They have a young core of players including last year's rookie of the year Michael Carter-Williams and a contender for this year's Nerlens Noel. They are looking to have a top 5 pick in next year's draft as well.

Plus the team has a storied history and a passionate fanbase. Some of the greatest to ever play the game have suited up for the Sixers. Wilt Chamberlain, Julius Erving, Moses Malone, Charles Barkley, Allen Iverson, and more.

Also, they have their own theme song.

bestSixers.jpg

So much better than my teams song.

xqMS1m4.jpg

Do the Lakers not have a well established history of landing premier free agents or top trade targets due to their market? They've been bad before, but usually aren't bad for long. OP was asking for a team to root for going forward, not just this season.

name me a premier free agent that has signed with the lakers in the last 15 years

The feel good team of the century:

The Toronto Raptors

Cuddly Kyle

Demure Demar

Jocular Jonas

Tentative Terence

Amicable Amir

and from the bench

Sweet Lou Diamond Willams

name me a premier free agent that has signed with the lakers in the last 15 years

Several if you include resigning their own free agents and trading for expiring contracts. That's how premier players almost always change teams in the NBA, LeBron notwithstanding. So that includes Kobe, Lamar Odom, Pau Gasol, Dwight Howard (ugh), and Chris Paul (sigh). Removing that arbitrary 15 year time span would also give us Shaq as a straight up free agent.

Point is, however they got here, those players all wanted to be in LA (with the exception of that wuss D12, thank God we didn't max him out).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom