• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF - Suggest an NBA team to follow

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a Rockets fan and if the thought of a team run by an MIT grad intrigues you they're a great choice. One of the best players in the league and a forward thinking GM but they're not for everyone. Id say the Blazers are good choice, some great players, strong fan base, good coach. Warriors too but their bandwagon is huge right now.

Definitely the Warriors or Clippers. Both teams are a lot of fun to watch and if you want an "underdog" (in the playoffs) Clippers will be a good choice.

KingGondo

Banned
Hopping off to bed soon I think but cheers for suggestions so far. Seems to be two ro three recurring names, but from what people have said Warriors seems to be a winner. I'll keep an eye on this thread and watch a few games from the more prominently mentioned teams over the next night or two and see what I pick up from that :) Cheers folks
The Warriors are good, but I'd consider you a bandwagoner if you started following them now.

My best suggestion is to just watch the rest of this season (especially the Western Conference games and the playoffs) and pick your favorite from that. Sports fandom is irrational, you should let your gut pick which team is your favorite.

it's OKC
Which team has the furriest mascot?
RumbleStory.jpg

You've found your team. Welcome.

Several if you include resigning their own free agents and trading for expiring contracts.

well considering the lakers have a dumpster fire of a roster right now, i have no fucking clue why you're talking about resigning your own players via bird rights as signing a premier free agent. so the answer is 1 and that was ron artest, a role player.

That's how premier players almost always change teams in the NBA, LeBron notwithstanding. So that includes Kobe, Lamar Odom, Pau Gasol, Dwight Howard (ugh), and Chris Paul (sigh). Removing that arbitrary 15 year time span would also give us Shaq as a straight up free agent.

premier free agents (this is a loose term since you've included lamar fucking odom in that category [lawl]) who have signed with other teams:

amar'e stoudemire (2010)
shaquille o'neal (1996)
gilbert arenas (2003)
chauncey billups (2002)
steve nash (2004)
carlos boozer (2004)
dikembe mutombo (1994)
grant hill (2001)
tracy mcgrady (2001)
dwight howard (2012)
joe johnson (2005)
goran dragic (2012)
paul millsap (2013)
lebron (x2)

and that's just off the top of my head, so basically you're wrong.

ShowDog

It's a great time to bandwagon as a Warriors fan. But the Lakers are the premier west coast franchise and if you become a fan of the Lakers now no one can legitimately accuse you of being a bandwagon fan later. Not that it should matter, but still. Shit is pretty dire right now.

beat

Don't pick the Clippers, bunch of front-running unlikable players that are more athletic than skilled (except Chris Paul, he's great).
Who are the elite athletes on the Clippers? It's pretty much just Jordan and Griffin, right? And Griffin is extremely skillful to go along with his athleticism.

Spurs checks all the criterias for you. Also Lakers, but they stink big time now so dont waste your time on them.

Everybody mentioning the Clippers should feel really bad. Their brand of basketball needs to be shamed.

Surprised by Clips too.. OP wants a team with a rich heritage. Being an old ass team doesnt necessarily equate to that.

well considering the lakers have a dumpster fire of a roster right now, i have no fucking clue why you're talking about resigning your own players via bird rights as signing a premier free agent. so the answer is 1 and that was ron artest, a role player.

premier free agents (this is a loose term since you've included lamar fucking odom in that category [lawl]) who have signed with other teams:

amar'e stoudemire (2010)
shaquille o'neal (1996)
gilbert arenas (2003)
chauncey billups (2002)
steve nash (2004)
carlos boozer (2004)
dikembe mutombo (1994)
grant hill (2001)
tracy mcgrady (2001)
dwight howard (2012)
joe johnson (2005)
goran dragic (2012)
paul millsap (2013)
lebron (x2)

and that's just off the top of my head, so basically you're wrong.

Clearly the term premiere player is subjective. I'd look at it more as franchise players or guys who deserve the max. Many of the players you listed did not fit under that category in the year you provided. Billups, Arenas, Nash, Boozer, and Dragic were all star-level, but not max-level young talents when they signed away in Free Agency. In those cases, their old teams bet wrong on their potential and they could sign with a new team without giving up max contract money. I could just as easily name you examples of players in that position who didn't pan out. Bobby Simmons, anyone?

I was referring to franchise players IN THEIR PRIME. The only players on your list that fit that description are Shaq (who actually proves my point, thanks for listing him), Grant Hill, and LeBron. Not D12 or STAT who were leaving their primes at the time of those deals. Usually franchise players IN THEIR PRIME do not switch teams unless they force a trade on an expiring contract (i.e. Carmelo Anthony and, if you want to count them, Deron Williams and Kevin Love).

That's the scenario where the Lakers have done well (Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem Abdul Jabar, Pau Gasol, Chris Paul (again, sigh)). They could very easily offer good draft picks and expiring contracts to bring in, say, Russell Westbrook if the other team thinks they will lose them for nothing. The Lin contract and valuable role players like Jordan Hill and Ed Davis could be trade bait. Or they can expire and the Lakers will have max money for two players. It's not guaranteed to work, but they do have a favorable market, contracts that offer salary relief, and a clean cap sheet going forward.

And yes, Lamar freaking Odom was a premier player in his prime. Winning sixth man of the year and playing a huge role on multiple title winning teams earns him that title in my book. He was basically the Lakers entire bench on squads that went to three straight Finals and won the last two.

Who are the elite athletes on the Clippers? It's pretty much just Jordan and Griffin, right? And Griffin is extremely skillful to go along with his athleticism.

It's more their play style then individual athletes. A lot of one-on-one power basketball from Jordan/Griffin/Crawford, fast breaks, and the whole Lob City thing. You don't get the sense that they have a high basketball IQ (outside of CP3) and their defensive effort is subpar, given their talent. In other words, they try to beat teams by overpowering them instead of out-executing them and that plan won't work for long in the playoffs. I'd like to see Chris Paul play with some of the guys on the Spurs who know how to run a motion offense; his talents are wasted on the Clips. I like Blake too, he his highly skilled in terms of footwork and he has good moves. But, again this roster doesn't come together as a great basketball team.

Clearly the term premiere player is subjective. I'd look at it more as franchise players or guys who deserve the max. Many of the players you listed did not fit under that category in the year you provided. Billups, Arenas, Nash, Boozer, and Dragic were all star-level, but not max-level young talents when they signed away in Free Agency. In those cases, their old teams bet wrong on their potential and they could sign with a new team without giving up max contract money. I could just as easily name you examples of players in that position who didn't pan out. Bobby Simmons, anyone?

all of those players listed were better than lamar odom at the time of their free agent signings, hell steve nash won the mvp the year he signed. and newsflash hotshot, most free agents sign with their own team because they get the most money that way. it's *hard* for free agents to switch teams which makes the dwight situation all the more hilarious.

I was referring to franchise players IN THEIR PRIME. The only players on your list that fit that description are Shaq (who actually proves my point, thanks for listing him), Grant Hill, and LeBron. Not D12 or STAT who were leaving their primes at the time of those deals. Usually franchise players IN THEIR PRIME do not switch teams unless they force a trade on an expiring contract (i.e. Carmelo Anthony and, if you want to count them, Deron Williams and Kevin Love).

"hey red blaster, you dolt, how come you didn't know of this arbitrary qualifier that i never told you about when you made your post!"

shaq signed with the lakers when restricted free agency didn't exist, which is why i didn't include him. franchise players in their prime typically can't switch teams because restricted free agency means that their original teams keep them for an absolute minimum of 7 years.

That's the scenario where the Lakers have done well (Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem Abdul Jabar, Pau Gasol, Chris Paul (again, sigh)). They could very easily offer good draft picks and expiring contracts to bring in, say, Russell Westbrook if the other team thinks they will lose them for nothing. The Lin contract and valuable role players like Jordan Hill and Ed Davis could be trade bait. Or they can expire and the Lakers will have max money for two players. It's not guaranteed to work, but they do have a favorable market, contracts that offer salary relief, and a clean cap sheet going forward.

here's the thing, you still need to build a team around those two max players. since mitch kupchak has been a total failure at getting any young talent whatsoever aside from julius randle (who is undersized and terrible at defense) wishing that these two max guys will come to a wasteland of a team is foolhardy

And yes, Lamar freaking Odom was a premier player in his prime. Winning sixth man of the year and playing a huge role on multiple title winning teams earns him that title in my book. He was basically the Lakers entire bench on squads that went to three straight Finals and won the last two.

odom had only one legitimately great season (2011), he's a lazy player who never worked up to his talent level which is why he's out of the league now.

all of those players listed were better than lamar odom at the time of their free agent signings, hell steve nash won the mvp the year he signed. and newsflash hotshot, most free agents sign with their own team because they get the most money that way. it's *hard* for free agents to switch teams which makes the dwight situation all the more hilarious.

"hey red blaster, you dolt, how come you didn't know of this arbitrary qualifier that i never told you about when you made your post!"

shaq signed with the lakers when restricted free agency didn't exist, which is why i didn't include him. franchise players in their prime typically can't switch teams because restricted free agency means that their original teams keep them for an absolute minimum of 7 years.

here's the thing, you still need to build a team around those two max players. since mitch kupchak has been a total failure at getting any young talent whatsoever aside from julius randle (who is undersized and terrible at defense) wishing that these two max guys will come to a wasteland of a team is foolhardy

odom had only one legitimately great season (2011), he's a lazy player who never worked up to his talent level which is why he's out of the league now.

Hey, I get that people don't like the Lakers and love to see them on bottom. That doesn't mean that you get to rewrite history and call Mitch Kupchak a bad GM or Lamar Odom a scrub. Those two helped bring titles to town. Kupchak put the teams together and LO played a huge role carrying the bench and finishing most games for Bynum in crunch time. He also averaged nearly a double-double during his prime, well before the "one great season" of 2011 you mentioned. Had his ups and downs and probably didn't maximize his talents, but he's a legit champion.

And Kupchak hasn't "failed to bring in young talent". His strategy is to sign replacement level talent to short term contracts so he can avoid the New York Knicks situation of being capped out with bad contracts. Then take a shot at free agency each year. Nothing's guaranteed, but the pieces are there to get a franchise player or two for either a two year sub-max contract (that can be extended) or in a sign and trade. My point is that the Lakers have a history of making moves like that with franchise players. Might not work, but the pieces are there. Plus their young players could very well pan out, you never know with those things. It's not this automatic hopeless situation you make it out to be and Lakers fans much prefer this approach to mediocre cap disasters like the Nets or shameless tankers like the Sixers who don't even try to compete.

Enjoy the hatred now, but don't act surprised if, once again, a franchise player finds his ways on to the Lakers this summer or next. And this time you won't have David Stern around to void the trade to placate the other crybaby GMs.

Hey, I get that people don't like the Lakers and love to see them on bottom. That doesn't mean that you get to rewrite history and call Mitch Kupchak a bad GM or Lamar Odom a scrub. Those two helped bring titles to town. Kupchak put the teams together and LO played a huge role carrying the bench and finishing most games for Bynum in crunch time. He also averaged nearly a double-double during his prime, well before the "one great season" of 2011 you mentioned. Had his ups and downs and probably didn't maximize his talents, but he's a legit champion.

where the fuck in my post did i say kupchack is a bad GM or odom is a scrub, please find it and quote it for me since it appears to have magically vanished

And Kupchak hasn't "failed to bring in young talent". His strategy is to sign replacement level talent to short term contracts so he can avoid the New York Knicks situation of being capped out with bad contracts.

"yeah the lakers did this stupid thing but it's not stupid cause they're the lakers!".

what young talent is on the lakers right now besides julius randle who literally has not played an nba game? signing swaggy p to a 4 year 21 million contract is a short term solution? and hey, the knicks have *less* money committed to their cap for next season than the lakers do! derp.

Then take a shot at free agency each year. Nothing's guaranteed, but the pieces are there to get a franchise player or two for either a two year sub-max contract (that can be extended) or in a sign and trade. My point is that the Lakers have a history of making moves like that with franchise players. Might not work, but the pieces are there. Plus their young players could very well pan out, you never know with those things. It's not this automatic hopeless situation you make it out to be and Lakers fans much prefer this approach to mediocre cap disasters like the Nets or shameless tankers like the Sixers who don't even try to compete.

i literally just demonstrated with factual evidence how the lakers do not have a history of doing what you described via free agency. and how are the lakers going to trade for anyone when they have basically no assets? moreover, there is no team on the lakers--just random garbage, plus the sixers have only one less win than the lakers do this season. but i'm sure someone like kevin love might sign there and just stat pad to retirement as the lakers win 39 games a year.

Enjoy the hatred now, but don't act surprised if, once again, a franchise player finds his ways on to the Lakers this summer or next. And this time you won't have David Stern around to void the trade to placate the other crybaby GMs.

it's not hatred, it's factual observation. laker homers are the nintendo fanboys of the nba. since i know more about basketball than you, i can see what a terrible situation the lakers are in now (that kobe contract makes me lol everyday) while you just pray that two premier max-level free agents will sign with the non-team that is the lakers just because of the fact they're the lakers.

KingGondo

Banned
Alot of talent on that team but they arnt going anywhere until they grow up.
There really isn't though. They have Paul and Griffin, but then there's a huge dropoff. DeAndre Jordan puts up numbers but he has severe limitations, then there's a bunch of aging dudes and scrubs.

Zeke

Op any answer that's not the spurs is wrong. Team ball beautiful ball movemwnt, no huge egos, one of the best coaches of all time and gives the best interviews. Small market team that gets ignored on the national level. Went from an ABA team in Dallas that no one cared about to San Antonio team that has been the cities pride and joy. We're like the UN of basketball.
I mean come on breh
http://youtu.be/4lHYvuCePbk

Philadelphia 76ers

They're not having a good season but they've been looking good as of late. They only lost by 5 to the Warriors yesterday.

They have a young core of players including last year's rookie of the year Michael Carter-Williams and a contender for this year's Nerlens Noel. They are looking to have a top 5 pick in next year's draft as well.

Plus the team has a storied history and a passionate fanbase. Some of the greatest to ever play the game have suited up for the Sixers. Wilt Chamberlain, Julius Erving, Moses Malone, Charles Barkley, Allen Iverson, and more.

Also, they have their own theme song.

bestSixers.jpg

My man. The theme song alone is enough to make them the best.

It's sort of difficult to watch the team tank, but I do like how they are taking all of this raw and somewhat hidden talent and really doing stuff with it. Covington is looking awesome, Noel is an excellent defender, and MCW continues to shine. I'm really excited watching these guys play and when Embiid and Sarich get on board it's gonna be awesome.

Theyre a bunch of floppers and crybabies. Alot of talent on that team but they arnt going anywhere until they grow up. Cp3 is still a punk after 10 years in the league.

Yeah this, I can't stand the clippers for that reason alone. Warriors are the obvious choice OP, they are the most exciting team to watch this year. You really can't go wrong with a lot of the western conference teams though (besides the Clippers lol).

otapnam

There really isn't though. They have Paul and Griffin, but then there's a huge dropoff. DeAndre Jordan puts up numbers but he has severe limitations, then there's a bunch of aging dudes and scrubs.

They have some decent players, i dont think getting austin rivers gives any confidence in the front office though

where the fuck in my post did i say kupchack is a bad GM or odom is a scrub, please find it and quote it for me since it appears to have magically vanished

"yeah the lakers did this stupid thing but it's not stupid cause they're the lakers!".

what young talent is on the lakers right now besides julius randle who literally has not played an nba game? signing swaggy p to a 4 year 21 million contract is a short term solution? and hey, the knicks have *less* money committed to their cap for next season than the lakers do! derp.

i literally just demonstrated with factual evidence how the lakers do not have a history of doing what you described via free agency. and how are the lakers going to trade for anyone when they have basically no assets? moreover, there is no team on the lakers--just random garbage, plus the sixers have only one less win than the lakers do this season. but i'm sure someone like kevin love might sign there and just stat pad to retirement as the lakers win 39 games a year.

it's not hatred, it's factual observation. laker homers are the nintendo fanboys of the nba. since i know more about basketball than you, i can see what a terrible situation the lakers are in now (that kobe contract makes me lol everyday) while you just pray that two premier max-level free agents will sign with the non-team that is the lakers just because of the fact they're the lakers.

You said that Kupchak has "failed to find young talent", implying that he's a bad GM or has at least done a bad job on that front. That's absolutely false, to "fail" implies that he's tried. He's not trying to find young talent and build up a contender from the ground up on a four year rebuilding plan. His strategy is to stockpile expiring contracts and keep a clean cap sheet, not develop 4-5 young players to form a nucleus from the ground up. Of course, a byproduct of this strategy is getting some good draft picks, which are always hit or miss in the NBA. Randle hasn't even played a full game and you talk about him like he's the next Kwame Brown already. Truth is you never know with young talent; some develop, some don't. Jordan Clarksen is another young player that has shown some promise, so we'll see. And Kupchak did trade an over the hill Derek Fisher for Jordan Hill, a valuable roll player whose contract is a trade asset.

That strategy might succeed or fail. Your haterism and confirmation bias had put you in a place where you think it has to fail because that's what you want to happen. Like anything, it may work or fall flat, but Lakers fans much prefer this strategy to, say, the Pelicans, who have neither cap room nor draft picks; instead they are committed to overpaying for a mediocre supporting cast for Anthony Davis. That's the scenario you want to avoid and Kupchak has at least done that.

And once again on Odom, you've done nothing but unfairly shit on the guy this whole thread. I'm sorry if putting up a 16-10 in his prime is not good enough for you, but he was a great player in his day and won two rings. I only bring him up because he could have got more money elsewhere, but chose to re-sign with the Lakers. But that goes against your "no one would want to be on the Lakers" angle, so instead you need to pretend he wasn't good enough for this discussion.

And if Odom isn't good enough for you, you can also look at Pau Gasol and Chris Paul for recent players that wanted to be here and made it happen. Not through free agency because of league rules, but through trades. That's how franchise players get moved, like Carmelo and Love. Hell, even LeBrons Decision was actially a sign and trade for draft picks.

So I don't know what you think you proved "with factual evidence". That non-franchise all stars (at the time) haven't signed here? That's not the Lakers strategy, to gamble on players like that. I'm glad that Kupchak has "failed" to overpay Joe Johnson and Dwight Howard for 5 years. That franchise players haven't left max money to sign here yet? Well it didn't happen last summer, but also you can see why LeBron and Carmelo wanted to play in their home markets. And again, it doesn't have to happen through free agency for the Lakers, they suck right now because it's a team of role players with no stars. But those same role players, along with expiring contracts and draft picks, can be used as a trade for a disgruntled franchise player who is in danger to walk (hello Russel Westbrook).

Again, this may all fail. But that's life, as fans, all we ask is the team compete and have a logical strategy for future success. If you hate the Lakers, you'll see that strategy as doomed to fail. If you're a blind homer, you'll see the strategy as foolproof. Neither is true. The reality is that the Lakers have a great market and a history of franchise players wanting to come here. And they have the cap room and contracts to make it work. Doesn't mean it will, but the fans like it. That's why I recommended rooting for this team to OP.

My man. The theme song alone is enough to make them the best.

It's sort of difficult to watch the team tank, but I do like how they are taking all of this raw and somewhat hidden talent and really doing stuff with it. Covington is looking awesome, Noel is an excellent defender, and MCW continues to shine. I'm really excited watching these guys play and when Embiid and Sarich get on board it's gonna be awesome.

I'm really excited watching these guys too. Covington and KJ McDaniels have been pleasant surprises to me. Ebiid and Saric plus whoever we draft this year is gonna be awesome.

I'm kinda bummed that MCW is sitting out the rising stars challenge but at the same time I'm glad Covington got his spot.

Fjordson

I've been hearing that a huge part of the NBA hates the Clippers.

SOMEONE CONFIRM THIS
Kinda, yeah. They bitch and moan every night out. They employ guys like Matt Barnes and Blake Griffin. Just a crummy organization.

From Bill Simmons on twitter: "The Clippers have won 12 playoff games in 3 years. They act like they are 5-time champs. That's why the refs keep sticking it to them."

And from Zach Lowe (maybe the best NBA writer working today): "Call around on them, and you quickly discover/are reminded they are probably the most loathed team w/in the league." And also: "Doc is low-key not as well-loved around the league as people think."

https://twitter.com/billsimmons/status/563725487021637632

Just the other night the Clips were getting demolished by OKC. They were down by like 22. Yet in the second half Chris Paul nailed some tough jumper and stared down KD and others on the Thunder bench :lol it was hilariously dumb. And KD himself said after the game "they cry too *bleeping* much".

Kinda, yeah. They bitch and moan every night out. They employ guys like Matt Barnes and Blake Griffin. Just a crummy organization.

From Bill Simmons on twitter: "The Clippers have won 12 playoff games in 3 years. They act like they are 5-time champs. That's why the refs keep sticking it to them."

And from Zach Lowe (maybe the best NBA writer working today): "Call around on them, and you quickly discover/are reminded they are probably the most loathed team w/in the league." And also: "Doc is low-key not as well-loved around the league as people think."

https://twitter.com/billsimmons/status/563725487021637632

Just the other night the Clips were getting demolished by OKC. They were down by like 22. Yet in the second half Chris Paul nailed some tough jumper and stared down the KD and others on the Thunder bench :lol it was hilariously dumb. And KD himself said after the game "they cry too *bleeping* much".
I despise the clippers.

I despise the clippers.

Do the Clippers actually have a lot of fans in LA? I always figured everyone would cheer for the Lakers after all of those bad years they had.

They're always pretty high in attendance but how many of them are actual fans compared to "super bowl crowd" kind of people.

Do the Clippers actually have a lot of fans in LA? I always figured everyone would cheer for the Lakers after all of those bad years they had.

They're always pretty high in attendance but how many of them are actual fans compared to "super bowl crowd" kind of people.

All their "fans" are pretty much just bandwagon fans that will instantly jump ship once the Lakers begin winning games again. I despise those kinds of "fans."

You are looking at the Rockets. My favorite team is OKC, and they are one of the two most fun teams to watch, but lack the technical aspect you're looking for.

In fact, there's really only one truly technical team in the league, soooooo...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom