• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF - Suggest an NBA team to follow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Detroit Pistons and Philadelphia 76ers should be great to watch in the upcoming seasons, because you can follow their development from not so good to potentially great, but they're both eastern teams.

San Antonio Spurs have the NBA's best coach, and arguably the best teamwork.

Houston Rockets have one of the most creative scorers ever in James Harden, who's not like any other player in the league.

The Golden State Warriors have the best combination of three point shooters in probably ever, so if you like shot-makers you can follow them.

--------------------

As far as "risky" plays, it doesn't really exist in basketball the way it does with American football or Euro footy. In soccer of course one goal can be the game, so getting into a potentially disadvantageous situation in order to score one is a HUUUUGE risk. In the NFL any single touch down or field goal, again, can make all the difference in the world, so there is tremendous pressure on every play.

But in basketball, you take a risk, it doesn't work out, ok, you lose two points. No big deal for most of the game. It's much more about who can be disciplined for the longest period of time, which team can best adjust their speed, rhythm, and strategy to match their opponent's, and who can execute the highest percentage of plays. If you look at most NBA results, the difference in field goal percentage (which team is shooting better) the majority of the time is approximately equal to the difference in the final score.

Of course every now and again it comes down to shots made in the final 10 seconds or at the buzzer, but then every play is risky, even the "tried and true" ones.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Harlem Globetrotters.

cSMTjmO.jpg

Abounder

Banned
If I could only focus on one team for the remainder of this season it would be the OKC Thunder because Westbrook is on a tear, and every game matters more to them since they are fighting for a playoffs spot. And they have enough of a chance for winning the west.

Alternatively, the San Antonio Spurs are technically strong, but I'm not sure improvisation is a big part of their gameplan.

Their closer in Ginobili is either a turnover or a highlight waiting to happen, very little in between for Manu

Warriors
Blazers
Spurs
Grizzlies

Hawks, Bulls and Blazers will only let you down in the playoffs like they do every year. Cavs are a year away and too up and down. Ain't nobody else about shit.

MCee

Hometown Warriors. They've finally turned it around and might just push past the second round this postseason. More disciplined with Steve Kerr coaching but have flashes of the old recklessness. Young group that will be in the conversation for years.

Mavericks have a great coach who keeps them competitive despite constant roster changes over the years. If they figure out how to fit Rondo in, keep him and other stars and find better backup bigs they will be a huge threat for years.

Fjordson

Since opening my eyes to the wonders of Kodi and TV on demand, it finally gives me a chance to actually have the opportunity to follow NBA properly. So I'll give you a little bit of info and hopefully it will narrow my options down to pick a team to follow. I'm UK based for info so I could read wiki entries but I figure the knowledge from proper fans will be much better suited. Hoping to end up with a shortlist of 3 at most here :)

1. Of the places I've been and seen in the US, I definitely prefer the West Coast;
2. I don't want to just support the team that walks the title each year (if this actually is a thing in NBA);
3. I prefer teams that play to a decent technical level;
4. Like teams with a bit of heritage and history;
5. Always winning isn't important but I wanna follow someone that realistically challenges;
6. I prefer teams that take a chance on some improvised play now and again;
7. I like coaches who take a risk now and again, and are not afraid to try things rather than stick with 'tried and trusted'.

Fire away........that enough to make a suggestion?
The Golden State Warriors is the clear answer here.

1. Located in the San Francisco Bay Area.
2. Check. Haven't won a title since 1975.
3. The Warriors are the #1 shooting team in the NBA percentage wise, #1 in assists per game, are #2 in offensive efficiency, and have the top defense in the league.
4. This one is a bit iffy since it's been a while since the Warriors have been truly great. Though they have some all-time great past players like Wilt Chamberlain and multiple titles.
5. They have the best record in the Western conference, definitely a chance to contend this year and going forward.
6. Not as much improvising as some other less efficient teams, but they do have Steph Curry at point guard. One of the most exciting offensive players in the game and one of the greatest shooters of all time.

edit: to add onto the above, Klay Thompson can improvise on offense at times also. Just recently he went off in a third quarter in a game against the Kings and scored 37 points. The most points scored in a single quarter in NBA history.

7. Steve Kerr is a first year coach, so there isn't a whole lot of evidence as to whether or not he's willing to take risks. Though he did change the starting lineup from last year. Could be considered risky since it involved benching two former all-stars (and luckily it's worked out incredibly well).

Jeff-DSA

Anybody except for the Knicks, the Rockets, the Lakers, or the Clippers. These are trash teams to follow and cheer for.

Branduil

Detroit Pistons and Philadelphia 76ers should be great to watch in the upcoming seasons, because you can follow their development from not so good to potentially great, but they're both eastern teams.

San Antonio Spurs have the NBA's best coach, and arguably the best teamwork.

Houston Rockets have one of the most creative scorers ever in James Harden, who's not like any other player in the league.

The Golden State Warriors have the best combination of three point shooters in probably ever, so if you like shot-makers you can follow them.

--------------------

As far as "risky" plays, it doesn't really exist in basketball the way it does with American football or Euro footy. In soccer of course one goal can be the game, so getting into a potentially disadvantageous situation in order to score one is a HUUUUGE risk. In the NFL any single touch down or field goal, again, can make all the difference in the world, so there is tremendous pressure on every play.

But in basketball, you take a risk, it doesn't work out, ok, you lose two points. No big deal for most of the game. It's much more about who can be disciplined for the longest period of time, which team can best adjust their speed, rhythm, and strategy to match their opponent's, and who can execute the highest percentage of plays. If you look at most NBA results, the difference in field goal percentage (which team is shooting better) the majority of the time is approximately equal to the difference in the final score.

Of course every now and again it comes down to shots made in the final 10 seconds or at the buzzer, but then every play is risky, even the "tried and true" ones.

There are still risky strategies in basketball, like going small, and/or playing zone defense. Intentionally fouling(i.e. hack-a-Shaq) is another risky strategy.

Dr Prob

Banned
You should really choose the Celtics (Kelly Olynyk is an artist!), but since this is your thread, we'll use your criteria and arrive at Golden State

They're on the west coast and though the team started in Philly, have been there 50+ years. They're fun to watch and (barring injuries) should be competitive in the playoffs for a while, though they're not going to just leisurely stroll to a championship anytime soon. It's their coach's first season; he won titles as a player and was once punched in the eye by Michael Jordan. Scrappy little fellow.

Downside here is bandwagon potential (as alr1ght pointed out). You'll surely hear it, but what do you care, you're asking GAF for input on an important decision, you're clearly not scared.

dorkkaos

Golden State Warriors
Atlanta Hawks
San Antonio Spurs
Memphis Grizzlies
Raptors

(I can't recommend Clippers because I really really hate CP3. Though..i guess they're a good choice too....)

Coppanuva

Dallas Mavericks. Bunch of mainly older players who are doing well. Rondo is fun to watch for passes, also Dirk is just a badass. Trust me on this one.

ViciousDS

Banned
Warriors obviously.

this or the chicago bulls......Derrick Rose is the number 4th most popular world wide athlete and its been fun watching him get into his game and even change the aspects of it.

Plus Mirotic has been fun to watch.....if Thibs plays the damn guy

But warriors with Curry and Thomspon........dear god the most entertaining duo in the league, Curry's handles are just unfucking real.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
I say watch the Atlanta Hawks. They fit some of your criteria and I believe Coach Bud has a system in place that gives the team the strongest chance to be consistently competitive and entertaining for years to come like the Spurs were/are.

But I guess Golden State is probably the hottest thing right now and the clearest answer.

KingGondo

Banned
Anybody except for the Knicks, the Rockets, the Lakers, or the Clippers. These are trash teams to follow and cheer for.
True.

OKC Thunder baby!

This is the right answer for... reasons!
But this is even truer.

this or the chicago bulls......Derrick Rose is the number 4th most popular world wide athlete and its been fun watching him get into his game and even change the aspects of it.
Rose is a shell of himself. Westbrook is now vastly superior.

Valhelm

contribute something
The Heat have recently been very successful for the past for years, have a lot of vaguely famous members, and are also kind of an underdog this season.

mnannola

San Antonio Spurs. They haven't finished a season with under 50 wins for a long time. They are probably most fundamentally sound team, defending NBA champions, hall of famers all over the place, and they aren't a bunch of whiny babies.

Also Kawhi Lenoard is a badass.

ViciousDS

Banned
Rose is a shell of himself. Westbrook is now vastly superior.

True but watching him change his game has been the big eye opener. Hes starting to actually become a point guard and not attempt being a passing shooting guard. The bulls are insanely deep. He doesnt have to be even close to the number one option. In fact i think noah has been the worse player on that team by far this season. Thibs really needs to have Gasol rock center with gibson at power forward.

cormack12

Gold Member
Hopping off to bed soon I think but cheers for suggestions so far. Seems to be two ro three recurring names, but from what people have said Warriors seems to be a winner. I'll keep an eye on this thread and watch a few games from the more prominently mentioned teams over the next night or two and see what I pick up from that :) Cheers folks

BajiBoxer

Banned
For West Coast, I'd say Golden State. Good young team that should be competitive for long time but doesn't have a hoard of titles recently.

Golden State bandwagon is full but no problem because they are far and away the chillest fans in the game. Cool vibes means they got infinite seats too.

genjiZERO

LA Lakers are probably your best bet. They are straight trash now, but they have bounced back multiple times over the decades. One of the most successful franchises in the league.

LA Clippers are super fun to watch right now, but they don't have much of a history. And who knows what'll happen to them in the next generation.

If you'd asked this question a few years back I'd say San Antonio Spurs (not really a "West Coat" team though) because they are so fundamentally sound and rock solid (don't believe people who say they are boring to watch). Unfortunately, they are at the dead end of their success, and it's unclear how they will be able to rebuild.

However, the nice thing about basketball is that it's easy to have multiple teams. Basketball seems less rivalry oriented than other sports. So follow a few if you have the time.

Montrealer here, was a fan of Jordan during the 90s. Now that he co-owns the Hornets, I will fan them

It will be a cold day in hell that a Motnrealer would ever support a team from Toronto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom