• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valhalla Knights Eldar Saga (Wii): The Official Thread

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
vkesbanner.jpg

Valhalla Knights: Eldar Saga - The Official Thread

Platform: Nintendo Wii
Genre: Action RPG
Developer: K2 LLC
Publisher: XSEED Games (US), Marvelous Interactive (Japan)
Rating: T (ESRB), B (CERO)
Price: $39.99
Release Date: September 30, 2009 (US), October 8, 2009 (Japan)
Official Site: Valhalla Knights: Eldar Saga Official Website

Modes of Play: Singleplayer (Offline), Two Player Co-Op (Online via Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection)

Boxart:

North America
20090803_00027.jpg

Japan
valhalla-knights-eldar-saga-box-art.jpg

Screens:
valhalla-knights-eldar-saga-20090910042251954_640w.jpg
valhalla-knights-eldar-saga-20090910042301938_640w.jpg

valhalla-knights-eldar-saga-20081008102248931_640w.jpg
valhalla-knights-eldar-saga-20081008102245541_640w.jpg

Videos:
Trailer
Direct feed gameplay (Part 1)
Direct feed gameplay (Part 2)
Direct feed gameplay (Part 3)

Reviews:
Nintendo Power: 4.0
Weekly Famitsu: 7/5/5/5 (22/40)

So what's this all about?

Valhalla Knights: Eldar Saga is the third entry in the Valhalla Knights series of Action RPGs, and the first on a home console (the previous two entries were on the PSP). However, unlike it's predecessors, in Eldar Saga, the battle system is 100% real time action, with battles taking place directly on the world map. The game is divided into two episodes. In Episode 1, players take control of a male, human hero, who must reunite the races of the land of Eldar after the creatures of the legendary Spirit King once again rise to wreak havoc on the land. During Episode 1, the player also chooses between four potential brides, each of a different race (Human, Elf, Halfling, and Dwarf). The race of the bride you pick will affect the race of your character in Episode 2.

Episode 2: Where things really get interesting:

And that brings us to the part that I personally find the most interesting, Episode 2. In Episode 2, you play as the child of your character from the first episode and the wife you chose. Your child will be a different race depending on which of the four possible wives you chose to make your bride. While in Episode 1 you had limited customization options for your hero, in Episode 2 you will have a much wider range of choices with which you may customize your character. Additionally, you may choose right from the start of the game which episode you wish to play.

Classes:

When the game begins, you can choose from five classes for your hero: Fighter, Mage, Priest, Thief, and Bard. As you progress in the game, more advanced classes become available, such as Ninja, Knight, and Engineer, among others.

Never travel alone:

Valhalla Knights: Eldar Saga offers players two different ways to create a party. In singleplayer mode, you can hire customizable mercenaries to assist you in your travels. In the online mode, two players team up over Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection to tackle quests specially made for that mode.

The final word:

Despite never having played either of the previous entries in the series, I've had my eye on this for a while, hence why I made this thread. Anyway, hope to see some of you guys online, and of course if I missed anything that should be in this post, please don't hesitate to let me know. I'll be adding more reviews and gameplay videos as they surface. So, enjoy!

batbeg

I don't know what the fuck it is that interests me about this game, but there's something that does. But aside from Sakuraba, I find it difficult to find a single reedeming feature in it.

Can't find shit about a PAL release, though.

I think the aspect I liked of either the first or second one was the 6 players in the party, however, I always felt that it suffered from low production values. The cutscenes lacked vocals from videos. Were there any vocals during battle sequences?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I'm wondering a bit about the release (or ship, I guess) date, here...It was the 29th, then GameFAQs and GameStop bumped it back a day to the 30th. However XSEED sent out the PR e-mail on the 29th saying the game was shipping. I wonder who to believe in this situation.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Another mediocre RPG for the Wii it seems...

Where are all the good ones until Tales of Grace is released? Which is probably going to be near the end of 2010 for us if we're lucky. Sigh.

Hobbun

Bisnic said:
Another mediocre RPG for the Wii it seems...

Where are all the good ones until Tales of Grace is released? Which is probably going to be near the end of 2010 for us if we're lucky. Sigh.

Actually, Sands of Destruction releases in January and it looks decent. Tales of Grace is even further out as Japan’s release is winter of 2009-2010.

modeps

Neo Member
Can someone please just give me a console remake of PSO ep 1,2,4? (without the needless pay to play model)

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Hobbun said:
Actually, Sands of Destruction releases in January and it looks decent. Tales of Grace is even further out as Japan’s release is winter of 2009-2010.

Isn't Sands of Destruction a DS game, though?

Also, I wonder how long it'll take for the sound of the footsteps in VKES to get REALLY annoying. I mean, ugh...WHO thought that was a good idea?

(Take a look at some of the gameplay video I posted to see what I'm talking about.)

Hobbun

Seraphis Cain said:
Isn't Sands of Destruction a DS game, though?

Yes, that’s true. For some reason I was thinking Wii game. That’s a good question then on when is the next “quality” Wii RPG besides Tales of Graces. Which does not have a NA release date as far as I know.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Well the only one i can think of is Arc Fantasia, the game is already out in Japan, how were the reviews?

FF Crystal Bearers is coming soon too, but that's not really your usual RPG. :lol

rpmurphy

Never played the PSP games. What are the interesting gameplay aspects of this ARPG with regard to the enemies, the setting, or movesets?

Hobbun

Bisnic said:
Well the only one i can think of is Arc Fantasia, the game is already out in Japan, how were the reviews?

FF Crystal Bearers is coming soon too, but that's not really your usual RPG. :lol

Oh, that’s what I was thinking of instead of Sands of Destruction. Arc Rise Fantasia.

The reviews were decent from what I saw. Famitsu gave it a 32/40.

I know I am looking forward to it as it is one of few turn-based RPG's coming out.

Boerseun

Banned
Rising Star Games are releasing the PAL versions of Valhalla Knights: Eldar Saga, Fragile: Farewell Ruins of the Moon, and Rune Factory Frontier all in Q2 2010. They're also publishing the PAL version of Arc Rise Fantasia, which appears could actually be out before then (but I wouldn't hold my breath).

Regarding Valhalla Knights, I like the PSP games. They have an old school feel about them with lots of statistics and customisation. The Wii game looks to be carrying this tradition forward, which is why I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Pre-ordered it back on Monday from Amazon, expecting some good times overall as it goes. The bleakness is intentional according to the interviews as it is not a happy go-lucky fantasy gameworld in general that they've gone about with the Valhalla Knight games.

CLANK CLANK CLANK? Record of Lodoss War for Dreamcast fans represent! I will forever consider this an homage despite any evidence to the contrary. :D

Will probably try a Bard for the first class...or perhaps some manner of speedy Thief or ranger character. No idea where to take it in terms of the advanced classes though----gonna depend on how they do it and just how many diverse options there wind up being.

Any impressions yet? Nintendo Power ripped it a new one but the gameplay videos I've seen look like fun.
For me this is one of the most interesting Wii titles until MH3 arrives.

Context/explanation from the NP review (poached from Metacritic blurb...):

Nintendo Power said:
It's a shame that Valhalla Knights: Eldar Saga has such a slow pace, clunky interface, ugly graphics, sluggish combat, dumb AI, and lackluster overall presentation - there are actually some neat ideas in this action RPG. (Oct 2009, p.89)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Got an Amazon box overflowing with XSeed num-nums today.
Wizard of Oz for the DS, and this for the Wii.
Should have impressions later tonight. Maybe.

Does this really have two player online co-op? How did I miss that news?

beje

Banned
I'm afraid this game is going to be bashed for its most interesting features. You know jRPGs are in decay when anything deviating from generic anime bishi/moe and "press A to win / push stick forward to explore" is looked upon.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Mejilan said:
Got an Amazon box overflowing with XSeed num-nums today.
Wizard of Oz for the DS, and this for the Wii.
Should have impressions later tonight. Maybe.

Does this really have two player online co-op? How did I miss that news?

Cool, glad to see you got it. Be sure to post your friend code when you get a chance. I'll make a listing of them in the OP so we can get some GAF online questing action going. Oh, and of course, any impressions you can post would be great too.

I'm going to try to go out tonight and take a look around town, see if the game's in stock anywhere. If not today, hopefully by tomorrow I'll be able to get my hands on it. Though when dealing with XSEED games, that's always a crapshoot. :lol

Mejilan

Well, the game's manual (and Wizard of Oz's) and I just shared a special moment in the bathroom. All I can say is that, according to what I read, this game's WAY different than either of the two Valhalla Knights games released here for the PSP.

Mejilan said:
Well, the game's manual (and Wizard of Oz's) and I just shared a special moment in the bathroom. All I can say is that, according to what I read, this game's WAY different than either of the two Valhalla Knights games released here for the PSP.

Just out of curiousity, what game are they showing on the back of VKES's manual? LKS's manual had RFF. I guess LKS is the game on the back of VKES's manual?

Mejilan

Manual only discusses fighter, thief, mage, priest, and bard. It does mention that there are others, just not what they are. In game, there are 7 additional slots, so 12 classes total.

Hero of Legend said:
Just out of curiousity, what game are they showing on the back of VKES's manual? LKS's manual had RFF. I guess LKS is the game on the back of VKES's manual?

LKS.

---------------

Some more tidbits:
Took another look at the manual. Motoi Sakuraba did the music!? This game continues to surprise.

Game's composed of two episodes.
For Ep I, your main character can only be a human male for character creation.
For Ep II, you have a broader selection.
You can tackle Eps I and II in any order, but if you want data from I to carry over to II, then you must play them in that order: I, then II. That's the correct chronological order, in any event.
If you tackle them in the right order, then the marriage choice you make at the end of Ep I determines what other options are available in the creation of Ep II's main character.

You can create up to three distinct characters (3 character slots), but can only save the game to that slot.

Holy shit, this game's graphics are VILE. Boo to not being able to invert camera controls (classic controller).

Mejilan said:
Holy shit, this game's graphics are VILE. Boo to not being able to invert camera controls (classic controller).

They seem alright from what I've seen in screens and videos.

I'm taking a wild guess and say it runs in 30 frames right?

Has K2 ever impressed graphically? Tenchu Z (360) looks horrid from what I've seen of it.

Mejilan

Certain inequities were allowable on the PSP, even justifiable to a certain extent. But this game is just atrocious. Incredibly low poly models, incredibly low rez textures, etc.

Mejilan

I actually kind of liked that game, actually. It was all kinds of solid until the last third of the game. You can totally see where they ran out of time, as all pretense of script polish and gameplay balance fly out the window at that point.

My head hurts too much to continue struggling with this game's awful camera and controls. I'll give it another whirl over the weekend, perhaps just with the Wiimote + Nunchuck. And this coming from someone that actually liked the two PSP iterations.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I have no interest in the game, but how does the online co-op hold up?
Is this actually the first Wii action(y) game released in NA to offer that?

Mejilan

Still locked to me this early in the game. Couldn't even generate a friend code.
Switched over to XSeed's other release today, The Wizard of Oz: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road.

Someone make an official thread for that so that I can post impressions!

VerTiGo

Banned
Somewhat interested in this but still hoping Arc Rise Fantasia is coming soon... because I'd much rather have that than FF:CC:CB.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Anyone else manage to pick this up yet? I can't find it for sale OR rent anywhere in town, so I guess the next step is to look out of town.

Anyway, looking forward to some more impressions if anyone has 'em.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Geez, this is RIDICULOUS. The two nearest GameStops (which are both 20 miles away) don't even have this, and neither does the local brick and mortar store. Come on, XSeed, I just wanna play your game. Is that so much to ask? :lol

If a post on gfaqs isn't wringing hands at not being able to track the game down at a GS/EB, it is one of the few with early impression and skill writeups.

Maybe lots of retailers just were not interested in carrying this XSeed offering? I mean, this is kinda a crunch time that they wound up releasing in the midst of alongside the date floating about and missing a few times in the lead up.

The skill system does seem fairly robust....4 passives and 4 skills outright at a time, level multiple classes/mix match between classes....lots of loot/forging/socketing. Advanced classes gotta be found in the latter half of the gam---really seems to be meaty.

:stares for Amazon package to come some day this week:

wrowa

Boerseun said:
That's probably the cutest smiley I've ever seen
cry.gif

ElectricThunder said:
The bleakness is intentional according to the interviews as it is not a happy go-lucky fantasy gameworld in general that they've gone about with the Valhalla Knight games.
Too bad that "bleakness" and "looking like a pile of shit" are two different things.

Top Bottom