• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyrie Drive -Bhikkhuni- |OT| Weaponized women powered by pleasure

Ubernube

The only thing that amazes me is that titles like this can be released completely uncensored and identical to the JP original.

Meanwhile things like Fire Emblem and God Eater need to be censored because reasons which are stupid. God Eater is the really baffling one, they had to remove the BLOOD in that game? What the fuck was the reasoning behind that shit?

I believe the reason the blood was censored in God Eater Resurrection is because it is bundled with God Eater 2, so both games have to share the same rating. God Eater Resurrection has a higher rating in Japan (D, compared to 2's C rating) because it had quite a bit more blood then 2, so that's likely why. Because God Eater 2 has a T rating, Resurrection had to get it as well.

Tohsaka

The only thing that amazes me is that titles like this can be released completely uncensored and identical to the JP original.

Meanwhile things like Fire Emblem and God Eater need to be censored because reasons which are stupid. God Eater is the really baffling one, they had to remove the BLOOD in that game? What the fuck was the reasoning behind that shit?

Fire Emblem could've been released uncensored and still gotten a T rating, there's nothing in the Japanese version that would've bumped it up to an M. It's just Nintendo's western branches not liking some of the content, same thing they've been doing for years.

Dragoshi1

Ok so, did the first/second mission where you play as Rinka, and is her sword supposed to be invisible?

In Training mode, it was visible, but in story mode, it's not.

And Ranka>Rinka, fist weapons are awesome. That chargeable heavy attack is cool.

That was a bug.

I hope PQube gets patched all of those things soon. Mainly because those bugs (specially the crashing with the dressing room) weren't there in the japanese version.

Some folks have said that it's glitched out for some reason, along with some apparent game crashing, pqube somehow broke the game since this never happened in the japanese version according to some people.

Turns out, is like SV on steam. The "freebies" have to be bought with ingame currency at the store.

And I was hoping the mole would be included but is not among them.

It's a Christmas miracle, Amazon shipped my copy via UPS so I'll be getting it tomorrow! Really been looking forward VD since Estival Versus let me down, hopefully some of the bugs are patched soon.

muteki

Only went through two missions last night, still in what I would call a tutorial. Coming from SV and EV, I really like the jump/double jump/hold-release to boost mechanic though. Also very nice presentation. Native Vita games are really pretty.

Case for my game was all fucked up cause Amazon shipped it in a giant box with a crumpled piece of paper as padding, so I guess I gotta wait for the return to go through before I can play :(

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
lol, wake up to see the notification on my phone that the game was delivered, so start getting ready to go to my mailbox, turned out the package was in a bag tied to my door knob.

Also got the 1.01 patch, only 30MB that fixes some translation stuff & network functionality.

Edit: Cool, was looking at the trophy list & it does that thing where when you get more trophies, they form together to make an image. Kind of neat when games do that, because it makes you want to get the rest of the trophies even more to fully complete the character portrait.

Also "Raised one character's Boob Rank to the maximum" is a gold trophy. Amazing.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Doing the basic practice &.....is that a Monster Hunter potion icon under your character's lifebar, but without the swirly thing?

ItemIcon043c.png

Otherwise, wow, this seems like it has a much more involved combat system compared to the SK games.

wow, this seems like it has a much more involved combat system compared to the SK games.
God, I want it to be tomorrow already! My biggest complain in a lot of action games is that the combat tends to be stale since it becomes smash square till you win. I prefer less characters with more complex moves over having many characters but them feeling the same.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
There seems to be a stronger focus on doing aerial combos & continuing to launch them further into the air after a few attacks. Which is great, because I enjoyed launching enemies into the air in SV/EV.

Highly recommend trying the Basic Practice stuff first to get a hang of all the different mechanics. It's much easier to grasp compared to trying to read everything. There might be times where it does seem like you'll just be pressing square, but at the very least, the fact there's extra mechanics to go along with it compared to SK's "transform when you can to get all the moves", & they even improve on that here since it appears you can activate the "drives" more than once. Can't seem to do the "Connect Gimmick" training yet, though.

Also thank god, you can actually zoom in & out, having more control of the camera. SK would get a little zoomed in at times depending on where you were.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So pro-tip, hold L & just rotate your thumb on the D-pad to quickly level up in the dressing room. I'm at level 40 after just a few minutes & it seems to rank Girl, Lady, Princess, then I'll list the rest. You'll rank up every 5 levels (bronze, silver, gold, platinum, then new title), & starting at level 25, you unlock a heart catch ticket every 5 levels, you unlock the mini-game for the girl at level 20.

Princess rank unlocks a new outfit in the store. Also my hands are starting to hurt....

Edit: Queen is level 60 & you get a new hairstyle.

Edit 2: Venus is level 80 & gets you a new hair color.

Edit 3: omg it's still not the top. Valkyrie is level 100 & "lovey dovey mode" is unlocked.....120 time.....

So pro-tip, hold L & just rotate your thumb on the D-pad to quickly level up in the dressing room. I'm at level 40 after just a few minutes & it seems to rank Girl, Lady, Princess, then I'll list the rest. You'll rank up every 5 levels (bronze, silver, gold, platinum, then new title), & starting at level 25, you unlock a heart catch ticket every 5 levels, you unlock the mini-game for the girl at level 20.

Princess rank unlocks a new outfit in the store. Also my hands are starting to hurt....

Edit: Queen is level 60 & you get a new hairstyle.

Edit 2: Venus is level 80 & gets you a new hair color.
A friend of mine in twitter said he hit max, 120, with a character and now his game constantly crashes. So maybe try to avoid maxing, or at least be sure you save first!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yikes, that's not good. Pqube aware of this issue? Seems hitting 120 is indeed the max (that's what the game's tutorial screen showed me) & is tied to unlocking stuff, along with a trophy.

Also omg you have to play this heart catch game 100 times for a trophy, but at the very least, it seems to level your character up by about 3 levels.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
800 combo tore the bottom underwear. Now to see how long it takes for the top (edit: it was also 800). For some reason, when it was exiting me out, it had the "connecting to playstation network" window pop up, then it was the main menu.

......I should eventually actually play the game itself....

Edit: HOOOLLLYYYYY CRAP. I did the Heart Catch as soon it was unlocked with another girl & got the Huge Success (i.e. pressed every heart when it was full) & it leveled a whopping 20 levels to the next rank.

mollipen

I was promised girls getting gay with each other—I'd better be getting it! Going to wait to crack it open until the weekend so I can do a video of the experience.

zwwMUTS.jpg

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
lol, these "chest guards", glad I took the time to just get both girls that're available from the start at max level so I won't have to worry about not being able to enter the special room & getting the reward.

Nice to see that the game encourages you to search around the stage. EV kind of had that with those pillar things to destroy, but that was it.

Edit: So Manpukumara is basically "Katsuragi if she obsessed over food instead of boobs"?

Edit 2: You can actually easily see what you've already unlocked in the lingerie printer, thank goodness. There's 100, but still gives you the percentage & all that. No having to go to the dressing room & look at the number to figure out what it is you still need.

Can't seem to do the "Connect Gimmick" training yet, though.

Connect is unlocked after finishing Drive 16 in story mode.

Yikes, that's not good. Pqube aware of this issue? Seems hitting 120 is indeed the max (that's what the game's tutorial screen showed me) & is tied to unlocking stuff, along with a trophy.

Also omg you have to play this heart catch game 100 times for a trophy, but at the very least, it seems to level your character up by about 3 levels.

I raised Rinka and Ranka already to 120 and I didn't had any issues with the game. As for the trophy, if you get the DLC characters and raise the rack rank of every character using the Heart Catcher minigame, you will hit the 100 times before maxing everyone.

800 combo tore the bottom underwear. Now to see how long it takes for the top (edit: it was also 800). For some reason, when it was exiting me out, it had the "connecting to playstation network" window pop up, then it was the main menu.

Edit: HOOOLLLYYYYY CRAP. I did the Heart Catch as soon it was unlocked with another girl & got the Huge Success (i.e. pressed every heart when it was full) & it leveled a whopping 20 levels to the next rank.

Seems there is a leaderboard with how many times have you touched the characters and that is why it tries connecting after leaving the Dressing Room. And yeah, Heart Catcher is the best way to raise Rack Ranks quickly.

lol, these "chest guards", glad I took the time to just get both girls that're available from the start at max level so I won't have to worry about not being able to enter the special room & getting the reward.

Edit 2: You can actually easily see what you've already unlocked in the lingerie printer, thank goodness. There's 100, but still gives you the percentage & all that. No having to go to the dressing room & look at the number to figure out what it is you still need.

Keep in mind the chest guards also ask for specific characters. Usually is the default pair for the stage but every now and then they throw you a curveball.

For the printer is better if you just use 100 BP to get all the lingerie available. It is incredibly time consuming but after you have 50 sets unlocked there is no real difference between dumping 100 point to dumping the highest amount possible.

Although eventually you'll have to dump all your money on the printer if you're aiming to platinum the game. One of the trophies requires you to send 1 million of points on the printer. And another trophy asks you to gather 1 million of points.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, the printer is being much more generous this time around. It took about 30 wins before I stopped getting 100% chances of unlocking something new. I'm just sticking with 100bp, doesn't seem like it'll be as annoying compared to SV & EV.

& also haven't had any issues, as both are at the 120 rank. And yup, noticed in 1-3, I was playing as the wrong character, so had to switch. My guess is it's the main character that you have to clear the level as.

Feels as though it fixes more things that felt annoying with SV in comparison to EV, the actual SK sequel.....but it still doesn't let you preview the damn clothing before equipping it....

TheRook

I ordered the Collectors Edition from Rice Digital and It hasn't shipped yet.

Has anyone else experienced this hold up? does it matter if I ordered the US version or not? I tried to email them but no reply.

Pezking

Yeah, my CE hasn't shipped yet as well.

Normally I wouldn't mind, but for a shop that charges your credit card immediately after placing an order, that's kinda shitty.

They should at least keep their customers updated and tell them an estimated shipping date.

I ordered the Collectors Edition from Rice Digital and It hasn't shipped yet.

Has anyone else experienced this hold up? does it matter if I ordered the US version or not? I tried to email them but no reply.

If you ordered during august or later, then you are in the second batch of restocking and those order will be delayed due manufacturing times.

Oh, And Pqube is looking into the Trophy Synch issues

Should be fixed "in the upcoming weeks"

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
....ya know, the light bars don't work this time around if I can CLEARLY see that they're already using an icon underneath for censoring. It'd be like combining the chibi faces & the light bar on top of each other in SK.

Edit: How come I'm not getting the 10 accessories trophy? I know I've put more than 10 accessories across 3 of the girls. Or do I have to unlock putting 10 accessories on the same girl?

It came! Woo!

I still have to finish SK:EV so I'm kind of tempted to not play it yet since so many people say the battle system is way better. I don't wanna go back to EV and hate it.

....ya know, the light bars don't work this time around if I can CLEARLY see that they're already using an icon underneath for censoring. It'd be like combining the chibi faces & the light bar on top of each other in SK.

Edit: How come I'm not getting the 10 accessories trophy? I know I've put more than 10 accessories across 3 of the girls. Or do I have to unlock putting 10 accessories on the same girl?

Some people has tinkered with the game files and discovered that under the censoring lights there are flowers.

Yeah, you need to put ten accessories on the same girl. You get new accessories slots from the chest guards.

And the trophy issue is fixed now. I just synched mine.

Got my game, crashed each time I exited the dressing room after I got both main girls at Rank 1 (luckily the game auto saves so I didn't loose progress). So far this game has been MUCH better than I was expecting, I love the enemy designs, I love the graphics (looks better than I expected), I love the Phantom combat system, I love that you can control the camera zoom, how you have a dodge making me wish that there is a 1v1 online battle mode (I have been keeping my self unspoiled on this game to the point that I don't even know if there is a multiplayer option like the SK Versus series), and most of all I love Ranka. In so many games I like how the fist fighter looks but never end up using them because I end up not liking how they fight, like the Souls game fist weapons, Toukiden gauntlets or even Yozakura from SK. Ranka move set is awesome and that charged triangle feels epic so she's my main and I doubt any of the other girls will take her place. I haven't even started Drive 2 story mode and I already want a sequel made by Meteorise!

Question, how do you get the items one is supposed to get by having Senran Kagura Bon Appetit? I have the game and have played it with almost all the SK characters but I don't see any items unlocked on Valkyrie Drive :S

Got my game, crashed each time I exited the dressing room after I got both main girls at Rank 1 (luckily the game auto saves so I didn't loose progress). So far this game has been MUCH better than I was expecting, I love the enemy designs, I love the graphics (looks better than I expected), I love the Phantom combat system, I love that you can control the camera zoom, how you have a dodge making me wish that there is a 1v1 online battle mode (I have been keeping my self unspoiled on this game to the point that I don't even know if there is a multiplayer option like the SK Versus series), and most of all I love Ranka. In so many games I like how the fist fighter looks but never end up using them because I end up not liking how they fight, like the Souls game fist weapons, Toukiden gauntlets or even Yozakura from SK. Ranka move set is awesome and that charged triangle feels epic so she's my main and I doubt any of the other girls will take her place. I haven't even started Drive 2 story mode and I already want a sequel made by Meteorise!

Question, how do you get the items one is supposed to get by having Senran Kagura Bon Appetit? I have the game and have played it with almost all the SK characters but I don't see any items unlocked on Valkyrie Drive :S

You have to buy them on Echigoya's store with the in game currency. And yes, there is a multiplayer like in SV. And yes, you can set it up for one to one fights.

Oh, by the way. Mirei and Mamori are out in the European PSN

Mirei & Mamori £4.99

You have to buy them on Echigoya's store with the in game currency. And yes, there is a multiplayer like in SV. And yes, you can set it up for one to one fights.
Mirei & Mamori £4.99
I did see Echigoya's shop before posting and I thought that those had to be from VD because if not the store would only be selling two hairpins and background music "and that can't be possible, usually there's stuff to buy even at the beginning of the Versus games" is what I said to myself. I guess more things get unlocked as I play... or is sold as DLC.

So I'm guessing all the food-related accessories are from having the SKBA save data?
I shut down my Vita since it's already really late where I live but from what I remember the items are: Headphones, Eyepatch, Chain Chocker, cat ears, angel wings and other random stuff. I don't remember anything being food related.

There are definitely food related items in those. Although likely they are in the 29 we're still missing. The set in the Japanese version has 58 items, among them the infamous mushroom.

I just want the mole.

So I haven't played the game at all because I'm currently broke but I gotta say the artwork for this game is freaking gorgeous. I'd kill for a steam version honestly.

I'm definitely picking up the game soon though. This seems like the type of game that is going to be rare quickly.

Battlechili

Banned
If I'm understanding the OP correctly, this game is significantly more advanced mechanically than Senran Kagura games, right? I tried and didn't care for Shinovi Versus due to the simple and repetitive gameplay, but this looks to have a lot more meat to it. If I don't like SK, would it still be possible that I might enjoy this game?

If I'm understanding the OP correctly, this game is significantly more advanced mechanically than Senran Kagura games, right? I tried and didn't care for Shinovi Versus due to the simple and repetitive gameplay, but this looks to have a lot more meat to it. If I don't like SK, would it still be possible that I might enjoy this game?

Bhikkhuni definitely has a deeper and more engaging combat so yeah, I think you'd enjoy the game.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Possibly, yes. It helps there's only 7 characters this time around, meaning they're allowed to be more fleshed out & unique. Plus you can't just transform to your most powerful form right away, you have to unlock it via leveling up & there's 3 additional "forms" (i.e. more powerful) that you get.

UCBooties

Some impressions from about an hour and a half in. I'm onto the second story mission so there's still some tutorial stuff going on.

I definitely like game starting out. The controls feel good and I enjoy how much the lock on and dash allow you to zip around while fighting. I've noticed that it's fairly easy to activate the phantom drive ability while fighting normal enemies but I can't seem to manage it in fights against the other main characters. They just recover too quickly once knocked into the air. Revenge works well when knocked flying but it seems really difficult to stun or combo lock the main characters. Maybe its a timing thing I haven't figured out.

Two annoyances that have carried over from the SK series:

1. Story segments are waaaaaaaay too long. It takes at least 5 minutes between story levels if you're not skipping the dialogue. As with the SK series a lot of it is decent or interesting but a lot of it also just bogs down in the girls going off on completely inane tangents. I get that that is part of the game's humor but a lot of the time I just want to get back to the gameplay. I know that eventually there will be enough to do in the free mode but I want to unlock everything first. As with SK, they definitely could have cut some of the fat, or at least made it more interesting than always watching the characters stand around and talk in a glorified portrait mode.

2. I know this is going to come off as a stupid complaint, but why are all the lingerie tops the same pattern? It makes no sense and is pretty disappointing. If the point of the game is titillation and dress up why isn't there more variety? At least a couple of the sets could look like actual bras, to say nothing of teddy's or nighties or other actual types of lingerie. Every set having the same tiny triangles on strings is boring and disappointing.

Top Bottom