• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyrie Drive -Bhikkhuni- |OT| Weaponized women powered by pleasure

2. I know this is going to come off as a stupid complaint, but why are all the lingerie tops the same pattern? It makes no sense and is pretty disappointing. If the point of the game is titillation and dress up why isn't there more variety? At least a couple of the sets could look like actual bras, to say nothing of teddy's or nighties or other actual types of lingerie. Every set having the same tiny triangles on strings is boring and disappointing.
I haven't played enough and I'm sadly at work so I can't check online but maybe the bras are like in SK in that they change depending on the clothes you wear, and the lottery/printer is just for the panties.

UCBooties

I haven't played enough and I'm sadly at work so I can't check online but maybe the bras are like in SK in that they change depending on the clothes you wear, and the lottery/printer is just for the panties.

Oh yeah, you are right. Consider the complaint retracted then.

On another note, is there a way to review tutorials after you closed them? I missed what the hearts in the dining hall are for.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh yeah, you are right. Consider the complaint retracted then.

On another note, is there a way to review tutorials after you closed them? I missed what the hearts in the dining hall are for.
There should be a Practice or Training mode on the main menu. That's where I first went to so I could learn the game, though it seems you learn it just fine in Story Mode.

Remember that there's a quick & easy trophy for going into Free Training.

UCBooties

Hmmm, I wonder if my game is bugged. I am in the view mode in the dressing room so that I could try out the heart catch game, and now I can't get back to the dressing room no matter what button I press. I don't want to have to restart, I just maxed out Ranka!

UCBooties

Hmmm, I wonder if my game is bugged. I am in the view mode in the dressing room so that I could try out the heart catch game, and now I can't get back to the dressing room no matter what button I press. I don't want to have to restart, I just maxed out Ranka!

Ok, I was in the wrong control mode. The select button switches the controls and you can ONLY get out of that view/mode if you are on the default controls and hit X. This combined with the fact that you have to be on the right step and hit [ ] with no prompt to get into that mode is kind of annoying. I don't get why it's not a prompted menu option to get into view mode and just pressing the O button to get out. Weird.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Man, what is going on with my copy. Actually had it crash twice when trying to leave the dressing room, then twice would just stay on a black screen when I'd try to enter the store.

Thankfully, the game seems to autosave, so I never lose any data, but this is kind of annoying. At the very least, I take the time to sync my trophies since you can't do it while the game is running.

Also glad the game lets you quickly level up relationships via dining room. I was fearing it'd pull a Neptunia Action U & force you to play as a pair as the only way to level them up.

Yeah, I had my game crash twice and have been reading how other people are also having diferent crashes from my own so I stopped playing and I'm waiting for a patch. On the positive side of things I'm replaying NieR, I'm getting closer to the platinum trophy so hopefully I can get it before continuing VD. :p

The game has autosave enabled by default an while I haven't had a lot of issues with the dressing room/store, you can avoid those crashes entirely by accessing the Dressing Room/Store from the Main Menu instead of the going through the Cafeteria.

Honestly, once you unlock all the romance segments between all the girls, there's no reason to use the cafeteria ever again.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Pretty much, not to mention I've gotten over 50 of those "romance novel" things, & need about 12 or 13 more to have them all despite not even unlocking the last character yet & just finished chapter 2.

Also close to getting everything from the printer, just 14 more, but the grind is real & semi-more annoying because you gotta play that quick mini-game to increase your chances. Though at this rate, a 7% to 11% increase is barely worth it...

Pretty much, not to mention I've gotten over 50 of those "romance novel" things, & need about 12 or 13 more to have them all despite not even unlocking the last character yet & just finished chapter 2.

Also close to getting everything from the printer, just 14 more, but the grind is real & semi-more annoying because you gotta play that quick mini-game to increase your chances. Though at this rate, a 7% to 11% increase is barely worth it...

Oh you're gonna love the grind for the final five sets. At that point the most you can get on percentage is 5% (and I think it goes even lower). So yeah, is better if you put a movie and spam the printer while watching it.

I'm not sure if is an actual thing or I was seeing things but it seems there's a hidden multiplier in the printer. The longer you go without getting a new underwear, it increases until eventually it grants you a new one.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
All I've noticed is if you hit X while the marker is in the middle, it'll increase your chances by 1.5, so if you're at 8%, it'll up it to 12%, or if you're at 50%, it increases to 75%.

3rd character completed with all their relations maxed out. Think I have about 8 or 9 more at this point.

& it looks like I might finally at the point where you unlock Koharu based on the "drive" title. Will try to get a decent amount in since I might stop for a bit to try that Neptunia vs. Sega Hard Girls game.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Anyone know where the first fragment is in Drive 9-B? I have the other two, but I've got no idea where the first/top-left piece is.

Edit: Nevermind, I found it. Some of these are rather annoyingly hidden thanks to the camera at times.

UCBooties

Well, I just failed the tutorial for the Phantom Delude. Honestly the prompt makes very little sense to me. I tried locking on and dashing in when the attack telegraph begins but I never managed to dodge at the right time. It's really difficult to judge and oftentimes it seemed like I wasn't even dashing into the hitzone for the attack. I wish that the tutorial had been a bit clearer and I still have no idea how to do it correctly.

Guess I'd better hope for a decent youtube tutorial.

Well, I just failed the tutorial for the Phantom Delude. Honestly the prompt makes very little sense to me. I tried locking on and dashing in when the attack telegraph begins but I never managed to dodge at the right time. It's really difficult to judge and oftentimes it seemed like I wasn't even dashing into the hitzone for the attack. I wish that the tutorial had been a bit clearer and I still have no idea how to do it correctly.

Guess I'd better hope for a decent youtube tutorial.

The timing for Delude is pretty strict and is something that you can only achieve with a lot of practice but hopefully this video will help you there

https://youtu.be/8uiEO8HuY18

DMNBT

Neo Member
OK, I need some help: How do I get better with Mana? I can barely get A-ranks with her while I get SS-ranks with Ranka/Rinka without even trying. I'm still quite early in the game, but the fight with Kongo was a real pain with her...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Best I can suggest is try to learn to dodge, attack, dodge. That way, you get rid of the cooldown after her attacks/combos. But yeah, Mana isn't all that great, especially when it comes to boss fights. Doesn't help the more into the story I get, the more I dislike her & hope she can redeem herself by the end of the game.

Damn, out of tickets to do the heart mini-game, & they cost a lot in the store. Even worse, there doesn't seem to be anything that keeps track of how many times you've done it.

Any suggestions as to grinding for money?

Pretty fair review of the game

https://www.ticgn.com/review-valkyrie-drive-bhikkhuni-vita/

OK, I need some help: How do I get better with Mana? I can barely get A-ranks with her while I get SS-ranks with Ranka/Rinka without even trying. I'm still quite early in the game, but the fight with Kongo was a real pain with her...

I going to quote the handy guide an user posted on Gamefaqs about Mana

Mana definitely has issues. She fights markedly different than the others.

To start with, begin your stages by disabling lockon, and zooming out.

Mana's combos home in and/or spread shot so naturally she doesn't need lock-on as much.

Tapping Triangle is an ideal way to fight up close. Hold it down and it will progress through multiple effects... power shot -> machine gun shot-> homing shot. You can move a little while charging.

Use Hold O to blow away opponents. With Lock-on disabled, you can phantom dash to evade attackers.

When locked on, Mana's attack animations obscure the enemy but she is able to use Launch from relatively any distance using her Circle Projector. If the arena is already cramped, then just stay locked and make effective use of this.

Mana's basic attacks don't cause flinching until she's on a very high drive with lots of Heat - but the moment she reaches that level of power it is all over, the enemy is never getting close again. She generates plenty of synchro and can abuse her specials to punish enemies that get locked into attack comboes when she's already dashed or evaded away.

Indeed her chief advantage is 5-star punish skills, she has no need to approach the foe. The moment they whiff, she can unload on them.

The key is knowing what to do in a panic situation, when the enemy is on you. Use Triangle taps to fight back, jump and do a ground pound, or hold Circle to blow away. Resist the urge to Launch, which is so effective for Ranka and others... Mana's launcher is far too laggy and if you use it up close you'll probably get hit.

Aside of that, the only other advice I can offer is to make sure you enter into Final Drive ASAP.

Best I can suggest is try to learn to dodge, attack, dodge. That way, you get rid of the cooldown after her attacks/combos. But yeah, Mana isn't all that great, especially when it comes to boss fights. Doesn't help the more into the story I get, the more I dislike her & hope she can redeem herself by the end of the game.

Damn, out of tickets to do the heart mini-game, & they cost a lot in the store. Even worse, there doesn't seem to be anything that keeps track of how many times you've done it.

Any suggestions as to grinding for money?

Rule of thumb is that any long mission with many enemies is good to grind for money. Other than that, going through the game earning SS ranks in hard should give you enough money to buy anything on Etch's store and then some.

UCBooties

I finally unlocked Momo as a playable character. As someone that likes to replay story missions a few times for score/money it really irked me not being able to select her as a partner for Mana.

I'm getting a bit better at using the phantom moves (still not Phantom Delude) and combos so I feel like I'm edging towards a basic literacy of the combat systems. If you want to get the drop on one of the other playable girls you have to be really on top of the dash charge because they recover so quickly when stunned or launched. I do wish that heavier enemies and bosses were susceptible to at least some of those moves, so far nothing seems to work on them except Revenge and (presumably) Phantom Delude. I don't understand why they would put so much variety into the Phantom and launch systems and then have enemies that you can't do anything but whale on for a couple of minutes.

Minor Gripe: I do find it a bit disappointing that when you fight the other girls in story mode they default to their standard outfits. It's bizarre seeing them in the dialogue wearing whatever outfit you dressed them in and then wearing their basic outfit in the battle. I think it was a missed opportunity not to have them wear the customized outfits when you fight them.

Finally got the game the other day, already put a few hours in and liking it so far but there's a few things that bug me about it. I really wish the game had an option for just turning off the story voices, since it's a lot easier for me to get engaged with sub only games when I turn off the voices, but it makes the battles seem kind of lifeless without them.

Second is that some of these Phantom Dash techniques are a pain in the ass to do, and I completely failed to do the one the game tried to teach during the Kongo fight, although since I'm just playing on normal so far it doesn't seem like it'll even be necessary to do.

Also, did I completely miss a tutorial or did the game not mention anything about Drive Breaks? I had no idea they existed until Momo used on on me when I was fighting her...

I finally unlocked Momo as a playable character. As someone that likes to replay story missions a few times for score/money it really irked me not being able to select her as a partner for Mana.

I'm getting a bit better at using the phantom moves (still not Phantom Delude) and combos so I feel like I'm edging towards a basic literacy of the combat systems. If you want to get the drop on one of the other playable girls you have to be really on top of the dash charge because they recover so quickly when stunned or launched. I do wish that heavier enemies and bosses were susceptible to at least some of those moves, so far nothing seems to work on them except Revenge and (presumably) Phantom Delude. I don't understand why they would put so much variety into the Phantom and launch systems and then have enemies that you can't do anything but whale on for a couple of minutes.

Minor Gripe: I do find it a bit disappointing that when you fight the other girls in story mode they default to their standard outfits. It's bizarre seeing them in the dialogue wearing whatever outfit you dressed them in and then wearing their basic outfit in the battle. I think it was a missed opportunity not to have them wear the customized outfits when you fight them.

Something to keep in mind when fighting the girls regarding the Phantom moves is that they remain stunned longer the higher your drive level is. So while they can recover almost immediately when you are Drive 1, launching them while in Final Drive will actually allow you to use the phantom moves on them.

And yeah, is pretty odd the bosses are reverted to their default outfits when they remain customized on every other mode.

Finally got the game the other day, already put a few hours in and liking it so far but there's a few things that bug me about it. I really wish the game had an option for just turning off the story voices, since it's a lot easier for me to get engaged with sub only games when I turn off the voices, but it makes the battles seem kind of lifeless without them.

Second is that some of these Phantom Dash techniques are a pain in the ass to do, and I completely failed to do the one the game tried to teach during the Kongo fight, although since I'm just playing on normal so far it doesn't seem like it'll even be necessary to do.

Also, did I completely miss a tutorial or did the game not mention anything about Drive Breaks? I had no idea they existed until Momo used on on me when I was fighting her...

Well, you can low all the volume of the voices in the setting menu. Is not the same as an option to turn off the voices but is there.

The Phantom Maneuvers become easier to do the longer you play, is all about muscle memory. And yeah, Phantom Deludes are a bitch to pull off.

IIRC the tutorial present in training mode is where the game informs you about Drive Breaks.

And for anyone trying to get all the lingerie in the panty printer, a gamefaqs user did a pretty interesting discovering

I read someone else posted that even if you don't get a lingerie piece, the game actually adds 1 to the base percentage every time you get a copy of one you already had.

I tested it and I think there is something for it here.

I was at 97 and I kept counting up every time I spent 100 BP and I made sure to hit the white space every time. i got 98 when my count got up to 86. For 99, I got it when my count was 212, but I wasn't going for the white space.

To get my last one, I decided to aim for the white space. This time I got the last one in the mid 50's for my count. It may have been coincidence, but I am convinced hitting the white space still helps even tho it doesn't show the number going up after having 97 pieces.

I definitely spent less than 50k points for all 100 lingerie pieces from the printer.

When you first start it, hitting the white spot gives you a percentage 1.5x the base. So if it is anything between 67-100%, hit the white spot and you will get a new one guaranteed. And usually, the base percentage for putting in 100 BP is reduced by 1%.

However, after you get past a certain number of them, that is no longer true. I got 1 new one every few passes within 10 tries until the percentage hit around 10%. But as long as you don't leave the printer menu, I think it is safe to say that every time you don't get a new one, your chances actually improve even though the game doesn't show you.

Fucking hell, how long until I stop playing as
Mana/Viola and get to beat the shit out of them? Just did the part where they fought Momo/Manpuku and I think these two need to get their faces caved in and soon.

Well

Mana won't get her comeuppance until the last third of the game but damn if isn't so satisfying when it finally comes. Viola changes earlier (around the half of the game or so) thanks to Koharu.

All in all, I have to say I'm impressed by the writing in the game. All the characters are pretty well handled.

UCBooties

Can you still spend money on the Printer after getting all the lingerie? Isn't there a trophy where you have to spend a million points on the printer? How does that work if you already unlocked everything?

Yes, you can still dump money in the printer after getting all the lingerie. It works exactly the same as it does when you get a repeated one, the game takes it back and gives you a small amount of points as compensation.

Waiting until you have all the lingerie to go for the million points trophy is the optimal course of action, since you can get two trophies at once: have one million of points and spend a million of points in the printer.

UCBooties

Yes, you can still dump money in the printer after getting all the lingerie. It works exactly the same as it does when you get a repeated one, the game takes it back and gives you a small amount of points as compensation.

Waiting until you have all the lingerie to go for the million points trophy is the optimal course of action, since you can get two trophies at once: have one million of points and spend a million of points in the printer.

Awesome, thanks

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Crap, you have to have it all at once? Guess I should've waited, then.

Crap, you have to have it all at once? Guess I should've waited, then.

Well no, you don't need to do them at once. Is just less time consuming.

EDIT: Sure, the game doesn't look that good in close up or bigger resolutions but damn if isn't so pretty to look at in the Vita's screen

CCDWk32.jpg

1SWSPOw.jpg

aXRRfrb.jpg

VmmOEng.jpg

The first batch of costumes for Valkyrie Drive are up on the PSN, The Paradise Swimsuit set.

EU

NA

Oddly enough, the NA PSN has a bunch of more DLC available than the EU one. Among them the full SK accessory set

EDIT: The paradise set includes the black variants of the costumes.

Just the alternate colors and short sleeved versions of the girls' regular costumes.
Really? That sucks. I guess I'll go and look at the Japanese store to see what are the future DLC costumes and if I care for any of them. The Senran Kagura Versus games inclided some really good ones like the SV military costume (that wasn't used in EV sadly).

Sealtest

Not sure if this was posted but I finally got around to playing my ENG copy and noticed that it's a separate trophy list to the JP version. Guess i'll be getting a second platinum.

pariah164

Ask a stupid question time: is this as good as SK? I was disappointed with the World of Final Fantasy demo, and am seriously considering cancelling that and getting this instead.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Ask a stupid question time: is this as good as SK? I was disappointed with the World of Final Fantasy demo, and am seriously considering cancelling that and getting this instead.
I would say possibly yes. The fact there's less characters means they're allowed to feel more unique, and while it's a bit slower than SV or EV, it still feels fun being able to rack up combos & getting your attack power raised via the Phantom stuff. Plus you actually have to work your way to be in your most powerful form, compared to SK where you just want to get the transformation done quickly so you can have all your move, but that's the only time you do it. Here, you need to level up to get more powerful transformation, so they feel like you earned them & more satisfying when you get the Final Drive.

Though story/character-wise, that's more up in the air. I'm honestly kind of skipping most of the story part just so I can go back to hacking & slashing.

Tohsaka

It's not, at least in my opinion. The combat might be a bit better, but the dialogue is really awful. Whenever Manpukumaru says something I audibly groan and just mash the X button to get through it since she's such a terrible character. I don't like Mana, either, and the other characters are just kind of bland IMO. I'm not someone who hates anime tropes either, since I loved the Senran Kagura games and a lot of the characters. I put the game on hold after getting about halfway through it, will probably go back to it when I have nothing else to play.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Manpukumara is basically how to do a Katsuragi-style character wrong...& taken to the nth degree. Granted, sure, one could argue Katsuragi was also a bit one-dimensional with "she loves boobies, that's her character trait", but she still had moments that didn't revolve around that. 99% of the dialogue I remember of Manpukumara is "OM NOM NOM I'M HUNGRY CUZ I LIKE FOOD SO I LIKE TO EAT, CAN I EAT YOU, CHOMP CHOMP CHOMP".

At the very least, she's actually a bit fun to play as, but the same can't be said for her dialogue. As for Mana, she unfortunately isn't as fun & I feel like I dislike her the more the story unfolds.

Tohsaka

Manpukumara is basically how to do a Katsuragi-style character wrong...& taken to the nth degree. Granted, sure, one could argue Katsuragi was also a bit one-dimensional with "she loves boobies, that's her character trait", but she still had moments that didn't revolve around that. 99% of the dialogue I remember of Manpukumara is "OM NOM NOM I'M HUNGRY CUZ I LIKE FOOD SO I LIKE TO EAT, CAN I EAT YOU, CHOMP CHOMP CHOMP".

At the very least, she's actually a bit fun to play as, but the same can't be said for her dialogue. As for Mana, she unfortunately isn't as fun & I feel like I dislike her the more the story unfolds.

Yeah, plus the fact that there's just so much dialogue between missions turned me off from the game. I don't really want to just skip it since I want to see what happens, but the dialogue is just really badly written and it becomes a chore to sit through 5+ minutes of it at a time.

I'm surprised by your reactions, I've been enjoying the story. And I think is easily better written than any of the Senran Kaguras.

The pacing is excellent and it builds the builds the girls personalities pretty damn well. Mana despite doing some pretty bad stuff is actually justified on her actions and I did feel bad that she was pushed to the extremes by the circumstances. Another great thing is that unlike SK, you don't find any of that "I wasn't trying!" BS. When a character loses a battle, is not ignored and nearly every time is what kickstarts the development on the characters.

Manpukumaru is freaking adorable, she's just too earnest and sincere. And she drops some surprisingly insightful comments every now and then. It comes to a point where she's the one being rational while the other girls become swept by their emotions.

And oh boy, that twist at the middle of the story is simply wonderful.

Top Bottom