• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyrie Drive Bhikkhuni Vita Confirmed for NA/EU Published by PQube.

Some GAFer posted an awesome gameplay combo video earlier that really stoked my interest in this game. They need to post it again as I lost the link.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Some GAFer posted an awesome gameplay combo video earlier that really stoked my interest in this game. They need to post it again as I lost the link.
Was it this one?

For anyone curious, this is the kind of stuff an experienced player can pull off on this game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaoO-MJj4_U

And here is a sample of the pseudo Super Smash Bros mode included in the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEVj3DyvfuE&feature=youtu.be&t=3m15s

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm surprised Xseed isn't publishing this AND Tokyo Xanadu.

Fan service aside, it looks like a fun game to play. Also, did I just see a trailer wherein a girl kissed another girl and then turned into a weapon? What?

Shizuka

Same here. Companies are losing steady exclusive partnerships, which isn't a bad thing for gamers in the end, but maybe troubling to some of these publishers nonetheless.

Variety of reasons I'd say.

1. They're localizing more titles than ever, with higher and higher wordcount ones, as well as their parent-company's games, like Fate/Extella, which is the first Fate/SN game to be announced for localization before Japanese release has occurred, with them presumably trying to cram it into the same quarter as Japanese release if possible. That's a hell of a first right there and a lot on their plate.

2. Falcom saw the success of their older games on Steam and wanted to start getting their newer games on Steam, but XSeed's PC release capabilities only extend to games that have existing PC versions, with no port-team of their own, so Falcom decided to hand localization rights over to a company that could do ports. (This is speculation.)

3. IIRC someone from XSeed firmly said they had no plans to localize Valkyrie Drive out of feeling that it was too explicit for western audiences and that they'd have to censor it too much to be worth their while. Guess we'll have to see if XSeed was right, or if they just let PQube yoink the next big thing in pervy games while they stick with Senran Kagura.

Lain

While on one hand it is surprising, I guess they are already pretty busy with all the stuff they are working on.
I think it's cool if other companies can license and work on these games if the first dibs guys can't.

18-Volt

Don't be. They say it's all up to them to decide which titles to be localized or not. Them being owned by Marvelous JP or the fact that they brought most of the Falcom games in the past doesn't mean they will localize every game from them. They dropped Vita exclusive stuff, that's all.

3. IIRC someone from XSeed firmly said they had no plans to localize Valkyrie Drive out of feeling that it was too explicit for western audiences and that they'd have to censor it too much to be worth their while. Guess we'll have to see if XSeed was right, or if they just let PQube yoink the next big thing in pervy games while they stick with Senran Kagura.

No, that's not the reason they skipped Valkyrie Drive. VD is tamer than Senran Kagura games and even Akiba's Strip. They have skipped Luminous Arc and NEt High too, they just don't want to localize Vita exclusive games anymore. That's why they're bringing that mediocre looking Akiba's Beat but not the tons of Vita games waiting to be localized.

That's why they're bringing that mediocre looking Akiba's Beat but not the tons of Vita games waiting to be localized.

Alright, simmer down. I get you're annoyed with XSEED's current position (I'm disappointed myself), but I don't think Akiba's Beat looks any more mediocre than something like Luminous Arc (in fact, I think Tales of Akiba looks pretty good).

Vex_

Banned
2015-12-11-225427.jpg

So the girl on the right is giving me mild Katsuragi vibes.

CAN UUUU DIG IT????

Well that's nice, another game for my Vita collection :D Sure it's pervy but the it seems funny and the gameplay enjoyable, that Smash Bros. mode could be something aswell :eek:

18-Volt

Alright, simmer down. I get you're annoyed with XSEED's current position (I'm disappointed myself), but I don't think Akiba's Beat looks any more mediocre than something like Luminous Arc (in fact, I think Tales of Akiba looks pretty good).

Actually I'm more annoyed by the fact that "super secret project" of Acquire turned out to be Akiba's Beat. I guess I have to wait a little longer for good old samurai/ninja action from Acquire.

It looks like an incredibly sub par Senran Kagura clone.

It's actually better then 3D Senran kaguras imo as it wasn't developed by Tamsoft. It doesn't have framerate issues that SK Estival versus and SK2 had, and combos are more responsive. Also graphically looks much better than Estival on Vita.

Actually I'm more annoyed by the fact that "super secret project" of Acquire turned out to be Akiba's Beat. I guess I have to wait a little longer for good old samurai/ninja action from Acquire.

I think you're holding out the wrong kind of hope there, especially since GungHo's acquisition it seems like the Acquire of the Shinobido/Way of the Samurai days is gone. They've always been kinda quirky but they seem to be shifting away from 'realistic' games like those into more otaku-friendly stuff. See for example: their new mascot:

Besides, we had two perfectly good samurai action games that no-one wanted to bring across and bombed in Japan, so I can't really say I blame them.

Variety of reasons I'd say.

1. They're localizing more titles than ever, with higher and higher wordcount ones, as well as their parent-company's games, like Fate/Extella, which is the first Fate/SN game to be announced for localization before Japanese release has occurred, with them presumably trying to cram it into the same quarter as Japanese release if possible. That's a hell of a first right there and a lot on their plate.

They're currently juggling ELEVEN different games, multiple of which have enormous word counts on them.

I'm not sure what people are expecting. They're a tiny company. Not to mention Akiba's Trip did really well for them, so it makes perfect sense that they'd want to snatch up the next game in the series, different gameplay or not.

Cornbread78

We can get this in NA for Vita, but still no Clannad or SNAFU. Smh.

More games for Vita in NA is a good thing, yadda, yadda...

Because these are the only ones that get attention, while the other Japanese games that don't look like this don't get that attention, hence these kinds of comments.

While there are more games than just these on Vita... there is no doubt that Vita has the most games of this genre... and that's because that is the audience the Vita has gathered.

Based on what? Because everyone who played it says the combat is a lot better than SK

Must admit, when I first saw it I thought it looked like poor man's Senran Kagura, at low level play it doesn't seem as flashy. Then I watched the combos and things you can pull off and my opinion changed, but I can understand why at first glance people may be underwhelmed.

Did anyone point out yet that the Vita has a lot of pervy games yet?

Because it would be a shame if we had a thread without those jokes

Vinland

Banned
The proud Vita owner and game collector in me wants to buy all these vita girly games. The guy in me who wants to look the eventual female SO in the face does not. The internal conflict is real.

I wanted the vita one :(

Oh, I did too (I'm the one who made the request for it on NISA's forums), but it would've been hitting a tiny audience at best in the west which is sad but just the reality of the market really.

I feel like it's kinda similar in Japan - something plain like that may cotton on and appeal to the masses but it's highly unlikely, whereas if you make something fanservice-laden like Valkyrie Drive you're going for a potentially smaller market but they're much more dedicated and likely to buy your game (as demonstrated by Ukiyo's 6k FW to Valkyrie Drive's 40k).

Same applies over here where you're hitting a niche, but at least it's a niche you can rely on.

Apparently the one bad thing about this game is that its way easier than senran kagura.

Indeed, the game is pretty easy for the most part. The only really hard missions are the end game bosses, survival and challenge mode. In my experience, the difficulty is not because the enemies are brain dead, they're pretty aggresive and they often interrupt your attacks with a well placed attack. But the problem is that their damage output and the character's defense is pretty damn high, so they're barely scratch you.

Since people have wondering a lot about what differences this game from SK, I'll try my best to explain those differences. But first, let me link some videos showcasing some high level play from experienced players

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lslK86-AtPc

In case anyone finds this video boring, just let me point out that he's exploiting the system to mess with the boss' AI. The boss is pretty damn agressive and she can wipe out your entire health bar in just two attacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaoO-MJj4_U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ukc1G3tfpBU

As you can see with these videos, Valkyrie Drive handles air combat in a different way compared to SK. Whereas SK let you juggle enemies infinitely, VDB requires you to watch out your timing and mix up your inputs. To properly juggle foes into the air they need to be either launched into the air or being knocked down. From there you can use something called "Phantom Dash" (press x, x(hold) until your character's feet shine and then release) this will drag them with you in the air, defenseless. From there you can use different inputs: combo with square, launcher, charged square attack, dive attack. With each successful attack the enemy will be launched higher into the air and you will get a damage multiplier. To get this mulitplier you can repeat every input limited times, three for the combo and the launcher, two with the charged attack and the dive is alwaysa finisher. This multiplier is in fact the reason you should bother with the aerial combat since the game combat has a bigger focus on the ground, but if you properly mix your attacks you can end with a 400% multiplier.

The game also puts big emphasis on mobility and thus you have a dedicated dodge button (which also enables you to cancel some attacks) and if you dodge in the last second the game will slow down and reward you with meter.Pretty useful against end game/challenge mode bosses. The phantom dash is also used to travel through the stages, luckily, Meteorise was able to implement a functional lock on and thus you will homing in any enemy targeted or your next objective in the stage.

Unlike SK, in this game there's a noticeable growth on your character's moveset as you level up. Check out the movesets of Mirei (DLC) and Viola at Drive level 1

gd9T3Vb.jpg

R8sICQ7.jpg

And here at max (or Final) Drive level

K9cAaJE.jpg

YmxHHvg.jpg

Officially confirmed to be uncensored, also JP dub with english subtitles (no surprise)

I can confirm that Valkyrie Drive: Bhikkhuni will be brought to the west in its original form, with content completely intact. It will be with a Japanese dub and English subtitles.

We generally don’t take on these kinds of projects if we’re not confident we can release it in the west without cutting or changing content. Changing the source material kind of defeats the purpose of doing it in the first place, so that is not something we even consider unless we literally have no other options. In terms of platform holders and ratings boards, you’d be surprised what you can get away with. Gal*Gun: Double Peace passed quite painlessly for example.

Where issues might arise in terms of publishing, is selling the title in to retailers who might be hesitant to take it. A game doesn’t just appear at retailers when we release it; a big part of the process is to go around and sell the title to each individual retailer and negotiate numbers and prices. Trying to present a game like Valkyrie Drive to a group of executives at a major retailer, who might be in their 50’s and don’t play or particularly care about games, and convince them that Valkyrie Drive is amazing and would do really well on their shelves or their website, can be quite the challenge for the sales team.

http://operationrainfall.com/2016/07/11/valkyre-drive-bhikkhuni-not-censored/

PQube is giving us Steins;Gate and stuff so even though this isn't my style I'll throw cash at this just so they keep localizing weird stuff

I ordered this for a friend as a favor.....hes gonna be pissed its coming to NA uncensored now though. Cant cancel order either cause its already on its way.

Tohsaka

Is there actual nudity or something in this game?

How is it different than Senran Kagura?

No Japanese console/handheld games have nudity, it's not allowed as per their ratings board. They censor western games that have it when they're localized over there.

We generally don’t take on these kinds of projects if we’re not confident we can release it in the west without cutting or changing content. Changing the source material kind of defeats the purpose of doing it in the first place, so that is not something we even consider unless we literally have no other options. In terms of platform holders and ratings boards, you’d be surprised what you can get away with. Gal*Gun: Double Peace passed quite painlessly for example.

This snippet is really interesting to me. Kind of makes me scoff at certain other localization branches.

This snippet is really interesting to me. Kind of makes me scoff at certain other localization branches.

Yep. Ken Berry from XSEED said something in the same vein not too long ago akin to, "Why would we change something when it's going to alienate our target market?"

No business sense or justification for it. Can't wait to get my hands on this game. Loved killing with SK.

Top Bottom