• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve taking action against using VPNs to buy games out-of-region (read thread plz)

1-D_FTW

Good god, people still won't read the thread? Even after the thread title change haha.

Unless you quote them and directly call them a dumbass, some people don't read anything other than their posts. I wish I could create a filter that would auto-ignore anyone who's a serial non-reader.

lefantome

Then disable cross country gitfs.

This is an horrible move from valve, i'm so happy i only have spent few dozend of euros in the store(but i have a lot of games thanks to gifts, bundles and prizes)

I can't help but feel exploiting the price discrepancies between developed and developing economies is more of a dick move than outright piracy.

You got that backwards.

They (not necessarily Valve) are asking some people to pay more for the EXACT SAME THING. I can kinda understand retail games, as there's retail costs that might not be exactly the same, but these are digital purchases.

We're the ones being exploited.

Dunan

Region free games (most pc games are) usually have all the language packs. You just choose that in the game's properties in your library and you're good to go. You can also usually download whatever language pack you need if the game doesn't support it out the box.

That's good to hear. I had been afraid, given the standards with console games, that you only got whatever languages were typically used in your region.

This thread isn't about language packs at all, its about fooling Valve by making it seem that your IP is from Russia/India/etc to buy games from their store, where its vastly cheaper. And doing that with an alt account and gifting it to your main account.

That may be what Valve, in its drive to segment markets and thus maximize profits, is interested in, but for us consumers what's most important is not having access to products restricted.

If you're a Russian/Hindi/etc. speaker who doesn't live in the "homeland", you should have every right to buy the game from elsewhere, paying the prices of that region, just as you do with books.

I have a big problem with game publishers restricting what languages people can play games in based on where the gamers live, and pretending that it's the same product. If you're Russian and you want to see how, say, Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky did at translating War and Peace into English, or you're a English speaker who wants to read Tolstoy's original, the idea that a publisher can restrict you to one version or the other, with the "wrong region's" book forever inaccessible, is absurd. Yet that seems to be the modus operandi or many video game publishers.

Dead Man

I can't help but feel exploiting the price discrepancies between developed and developing economies is more of a dick move than outright piracy.

There was a thread recently by a guy from India where EA had just jacked the price of games up to a (comparative salary) $1000 or so cost per game, and as a result had basically killed off legitimate purchases, just because some suburban american kids could save themselves $20 pocket money or so.
I didn't think anything would beat 'Used games are worse than piracy', but there we have it. Wow.
You got that backwards.

They (not necessarily Valve) are asking some people to pay more for the EXACT SAME THING. I can kinda understand retail games, as there's retail costs that might not be exactly the same, but these are digital purchases.

We're the ones being exploited.

Exactly.

kuroshiki

What are you guys talking about?

Valve can't do wrong. [tm]

it's obvious that you consumers did something wrong, not our gabe.

I summon Valve Defense Force right now.

Orayn

What are you guys talking about?

Valve can't do wrong. [tm]

it's obvious that you consumers did something wrong, not our gabe.

read thread plz

READ THREAD PLZ

READ THREAD PLZ

READ THREAD PLZ

It was an old issue, one where their prior stance was reasonable and the OP article was incorrect, sensationalist nonsense that got revived in the wake of the controversy over their new ToS. Valve CAN do wrong, but they didn't here.

Then disable cross country gitfs.

I've moved to Canada but my friends are all still in England. I've gifted them things and they've gifted me things.

I'd be pretty damn annoyed if they disabled cross country gifts just because of some people exploiting them.

Exuro

read thread plz

READ THREAD PLZ

READ THREAD PLZ

READ THREAD PLZ

It was an old issue, one where their prior stance was reasonable and the OP article was incorrect, sensationalist nonsense that got revived in the wake of the controversy over their new ToS. Valve CAN do wrong, but they didn't here.
No one actually reads threads anymore. They just post their thoughts based on the title.

Slavik81

lighthaze said:
I see Valve’s problem from a monetary point-of-view (games are cheaper in Russia / the USA than in Europe), but I think it’s hypocritical of Valve to use the advantages of globalization, while prohibiting it’s users from doing the same.
This doesn't make the slightest bit of sense, and it's ridiculous anyone bothered to quote it.

Keys for digital goods are a commodity, and there's practically no transaction costs. If prices were different in different countries and trade were completely free, the price of the good all around the world would fairly quickly become the lowest price.

Since the marginal cost of games is nearly zero, they can be priced very flexibly to account for wildly different disposable incomes in each region. They can even price it below the level that would be required in order to break even (were every sale at that cost), and they can still make a profit. With limited trade, developers now take advantage of that to offer much lower prices in regions with low incomes. That's good for everyone. It's good for people in those regions, and it's a small bonus to the developer's bottom line.

But like I said. If you remove regional barriers to trade in digital goods, the worldwide price now becomes the price of the lowest priced region in the world. While the naive consumer might believe that everyone can get the lowest price in the world, that might not be true. The 2nd and 3rd world game prices are likely priced too low to actually pay for development if they were adopted all around the world. (and, even if it was a little above, that still wouldn't be where supply meets demand, anyways).

The end result would almost undoubtedly be a single worldwide price set at the North American/Western European level. Those living in foreign countries would see price increases, developers would see revenues fall, and people in 1st world countries would be entirely unaffected. The system we have now, with limited trade between nations (via gifting), is far better.

Top Bottom