• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

MasterShotgun said:
I wasn't kidding about the spoilers. But are you hyped even more now?

God damn it, so hyped. Haha can't believe I've spent a large part of my day off reading about the ARG, so cool though. Valve truly are god tier!

Sai-kun

Banned
Lasthope106 said:
I'm noticing people with lots of potatoes have a special banner in their Steam profiles.

as_potatobadge.png

Clever as fuck.

Luigi87

I am out scik with some virus
??? Marketing!
not dead yet
Still Alive
it's full of stars
Space Odyssey: HAL, or rather... GLaDOS

blamite

Alright, the wiki is confusing, can I get a little help with a few potatoes?

Defense Grid - For the second tater, I know I'm supposed to beat super tonylanche to get a password, but the wiki page mentions that you can just enter a generic password without playing the game? Anso where do I enter the password once I get it?

Rush - How do I get to the <test> levels?

Toki Tori - Is there a guide yet to the new version of Bonus level 6?

StuBurns

Banned

Jenga

Banned

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The three goddamn games I own are the only three goddamn games yet to have passwords discovered.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Loam

So I finally beat super_tonylanche, and it gave me a password with squares in it. Anyone have any idea how I'm supposed to enter it?

Baha

I have 2 invites for the Defense Grid Portal level. Essentially the 100 or so people who got recruited last week were able to unlock a portal level. Upon beating this level on gold, they are given 3 invites to give to other people. I have 2 left and figured I might as well hand them out on Gaf. 2 things about this level, it is portal themed (GlaDoS makes an appearance and has several lines recorded for this level) and it's pretty hard for defense grid newbies. Also if you beat this level on gold, you will be able to recruit 1 person. So if you're up to the challenge, quote this post with your steam id.

Zomba13

Got all the 2nd potatoes I can. 2 from KF, 2 from 123 kick it (Unplugged my keyboard to get the second), 1 from TWEOTW, 1 from Toki Tori and 1 from Audiosurf.

Hope more get discovered. Played through some of the Amnesia expansion too.

Roody

Neo Member
Baha said:
I have 2 invites for the Defense Grid Portal level. Essentially the 100 or so people who got recruited last week were able to unlock a portal level. Upon beating this level on gold, they are given 3 invites to give to other people. I have 2 left and figured I might as well hand them out on Gaf. 2 things about this level, it is portal themed (GlaDoS makes an appearance and has several lines recorded for this level) and it's pretty hard for defense grid newbies. Also if you beat this level on gold, you will be able to recruit 1 person. So if you're up to the challenge, quote this post with your steam id.
Well, if you're offering, sure, I'll take an invite. I'm [Jtor] Ben on Steam.

Steam profile

Greyvvolf

Baha said:
Edit: Thanks anyways, Baha.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
Stallion Free said:
For those of you curious what some of The Ball content looks like:

Pretty impressive considering The Ball is UE3 based, not Source, so they probably had to do a lot of editing to those textures and models to make them optimized for the game.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Somebody please tell me if there is a trick to beat super_tonylanche, I'm about to loose my fucking mind.

EDIT: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Joe Molotov said:
The Ball/Portal level is awesome, I played it just now.
Hell yeah. I couldn't believe I got a solid hour and change worth of nicely varied and paced puzzles for free like that. It made me feel guilty for not beating The Ball.

Greyvvolf

BY2K said:
Somebody please tell me if there is a trick to beat super_tonylanche, I'm about to loose my fucking mind.

1) Restart and launch Defense Grid.
2) Go to "Console".
3) Type "twood" for the login and "GradsNotRads" for the password.
4) Type "i_beat_tonylanche_for_real".
5) Type the password "eimqufjnrv".

That's what it says to do from what I can gather after reading the wiki, but I haven't been able to try it out yet. Let me know if that works.

Twig

Banned
487px-Gabetato.jpg

TheOGB said:
Anybody know yet?
I beat the first three, but the fourth one makes me vomit.
BY2K said:

you don't have to do it at all, check the wiki

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
celebi23 said:
Ok, Valve really knows how to put together an ARG. Man, can you just imagine how much planning went into this?
I want to know which came first, the Potato pack rumor during the Holiday sale or the planning for this ARG. At first I thought the Potato pack was just a "haha, look, its that old rumor from before!", but with this much content it is looking like the existence of the Potato pack was actually a leak and this has been in planning even longer then when the rumor popped up.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Greyvvolf said:
1) Restart and launch Defense Grid.
2) Go to "Console".
3) Type "twood" for the login and "GradsNotRads" for the password.
4) Type "i_beat_tonylanche_for_real".
5) Type the password "eimqufjnrv".

That's what it says to do from what I can gather after reading the wiki, but I haven't been able to try it out yet. Let me know if that works.
This works, I just did it.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
Drkirby said:
I want to know which came first, the Potato pack rumor during the Holiday sale or the planning for this ARG. At first I thought the Potato pack was just a "haha, look, its that old rumor from before!", but with this much content it is looking like the existence of the Potato pack was actually a leak and this has been in planning even longer then when the rumor popped up.

And more importantly as I posted a handful of pages back, I wonder if if the Portal 2 delay had anything to do with it? Did the ARG or even whatever is at the end of this ARG cause them to have to delay the game to get everything setup? Or did they just have to delay Portal 2 for normal reasons (Valve time, polishing the game), and that allowed them to work on this ARG further and maybe add more depth than what was originally there?

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Mikey Jr. said:
Is all this shit gonna make sense eventually?

Or are they doing a lot of random shit that won't have any relevance ever?

Yes.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Portal 2 is ten gig.

Quite sizey!

Jintor

Mikey Jr. said:
Is all this shit gonna make sense eventually?

Or are they doing a lot of random shit that won't have any relevance ever?

That depends what you mean by 'relevent'. It's already relevent to Portal in that shit's going down with portal. In terms of being, like, in-story Canon... who the fuck knows.

Mikey Jr.

Jintor said:
That depends what you mean by 'relevent'. It's already relevent to Portal in that shit's going down with portal. In terms of being, like, in-story Canon... who the fuck knows.

For instance, this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ym7RuDOyp4

Sound clip from one of the games. What are you supposed to do with that? There were also a couple more that were similar like that.

I haven't been following too closely, but I know the jist.

Like, go to the latest news of the wiki. Heres an example.

"After completing the <TEST> Bonus Level 6 for Toki Tori, GLaDOS can be heard saying "Sugar Sugar is the official song of field #2". "

When the arg is finally over and we know what Valve unveiled, will we go back and say "ohh yeah, now I understand what Sugar Sugar is the official song of field #2" means?

Or is a lot of this stuff just random jibberish?

adg1034

Mikey Jr. said:
For instance, this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ym7RuDOyp4

Sound clip from one of the games. What are you supposed to do with that? There were also a couple more that were similar like that.

I haven't been following too closely, but I know the jist.

Like, go to the latest news of the wiki. Heres an example.

"After completing the <TEST> Bonus Level 6 for Toki Tori, GLaDOS can be heard saying "Sugar Sugar is the official song of field #2". "

When the arg is finally over and we know what Valve unveiled, will we go back and say "ohh yeah, now I understand what Sugar Sugar is the official song of field #2" means?

Or is a lot of this stuff just random jibberish?

It's not gibberish. From what people have been piecing together over at the wiki, each sound clip points to a specific Seattle location. Once they've all been found and plotted on a map, then who knows what we'll find out?

The in-universe explanation for things is that GLaDOS is taking over and making changes to a number of indie PC games. Hence the voice samples and things in BIT.TRIP, Audiosurf, etc. But I think we're coming up on an ending, sooner rather than later, so we'll see where this all leads.

Mikey Jr.

adg1034 said:
It's not gibberish. From what people have been piecing together over at the wiki, each sound clip points to a specific Seattle location. Once they've all been found and plotted on a map, then who knows what we'll find out?

The in-universe explanation for things is that GLaDOS is taking over and making changes to a number of indie PC games. Hence the voice samples and things in BIT.TRIP, Audiosurf, etc. But I think we're coming up on an ending, sooner rather than later, so we'll see where this all leads.

Alright, cool.

Like I said, haven't been following too closely, but if the info actually does lead to other things, then thats great.

I've just been seeing a lot of info and not knowing what the hell is going on. I just come for the pretty pictures.

Jintor

Oh, that. Yeah, all the gibberish in-game links to further clues that eventually reveal, like, zip files full of concept art. Except for the red herrings, but they're, you know. Red herrings.

Personally I want to find out if cave.mp3 is actually by JoCo or not.

Top Bottom