• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I have to play Bit Trip Beat again? At least two more times, no less? FML.

If anybody happens to possess a DG Recruitment Drive invite, may I please take one? Not sure how much help I'll be with the game, but who knows!

Edit: Portal 2 pre-load! Awesome.

XeroSauce

How many potatoes does this bring us to, 26? 30? Dear god.

How many do you guys have? I just got to 13 when I heard about this. :(

SenseiJinx said:
Preloading is awesome, but it always hurts so bad knowing you've got the game literally sitting on your hard drive, but you can't play it. =(

Better than waiting an extra two odd hours (or more, depending on your connection) on release day.

Zomba13

Forkball said:
I really hate the controls in 123 Kick It. I wish you could use the WASD like in AaaaA.
Yeah. Ideal controls for me would be wasd for moving (like AAAaaaAA), side mouse buttons for rotate.

SenseiJinx said:
Preloading is awesome, but it always hurts so bad knowing you've got the game literally sitting on your hard drive, but you can't play it. =(

Dont know if anyone knows the answer, but has anyone every gotten into those files and somehow unlocked the game or parts of it? I know they hold some critical files back, but dont know if someone could do something with what they had.

pirata

I need to ask this: if my laptop is capable of playing other Source games, can I infer that it will be able to play Portal 2?

markot

Banned
pirata said:
I need to ask this: if my laptop is capable of playing other Source games, can I infer that it will be able to play Portal 2?
What settings can you play the other source games? And which ones?

Cipherr

Can someone link to that program Ill need to move my portal 2 directory over to my SSD but still have the game work right with steam? Dont want no goddamn loading off of my mechanical 7200rpm.

No more waiting...

Salsa

Been playing RUSH for about an hour since the new potato levels appear randomly.

Ugh, cant get GLaDOS to show up, fuck this :(

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Just got my 10th potato. Unless more easy potatoes show up for the games I have, that's it for me. I just hope 10 potatoes will be enough for whatever they might be used for.

(My god what has happened to me. I'm freaking out over potatoes. VIRTUAL POTATOES.)

Sai-kun

Banned
SenseiJinx said:
Much easier to have others do the work for me.

Awesome, though! Looking forward to playing this Friday. How ironic that I finally bit the bullet with the preorder this morning, and that's the day it gets put up for preloading...

Who said anything about Friday?

Twig

Banned
SalsaShark said:
Been playing RUSH for about an hour since the new potato levels appear randomly.

Ugh, cant get GLaDOS to show up, fuck this :(
Just go in and out of some levels you've already beaten (supposedly on medium or hard, but I did hard). You don't even have to finish the levels.

She showed up for me after like five times going in and out. On the key-shaped level specifically. I just went there 'cause the previous potato was there, but I don't think it really matters.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
I found something else in addition to the filenames speculation I posted earlier. This doesn't really contain spoilers, but some people may still want to keep in the dark.

I've noticed the word "manifest" in a lot of file names. One of the files is named bonus_maps_manifest. It's also attached to some sound files and a weapon file.

But the following two intrigue me the most:

1) Two files are called hudanimations and hudanimations_manifest. I'm assuming the first one is for the main game. So what could the second one be for?

2) One file is called surfaceproperties_manifest. Two similar files are surfaceproperties_portal and surfaceproperties_portal2. I have little clue what this could mean, but it is interesting nonetheless.

I'm thinking "manifest" is going to be something very nice and unexpected.

JaseC

MasterShotgun said:
I found something else in addition to the filenames speculation I posted earlier. This doesn't really contain spoilers, but some people may still want to keep in the dark.

I've noticed the word "manifest" in a lot of file names. One of the files is named bonus_maps_manifest. It's also attached to some sound files and a weapon file.

1) Two files are called hudanimations and hudanimations_manifest. I'm assuming the first one is for the main game. So what could the second one be for?

2) One file is called surfaceproperties_manifest. Two similar files are surfaceproperties_portal and surfaceproperties_portal2. I have little clue what this could mean, but it is interesting nonetheless.

Remove the spoiler tags. If people preferred to stay in the dark, they wouldn't click on the thread. :p

MasterShotgun said:

Could refer to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manifest_file

The more exciting answer would be
that it's related to a ship's manifest, and the Borealis being a ship...

An alternate, but still promising explanation would be
that it relates to the other definition of manifest, meaning "clear or obvious to the eye or mind". Maybe you acquire some kind of supervision or something that is reflected in the world/HUD?

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
dLMN8R said:
........"manifest" is a perfectly common term used to describe a set of files all related to one another.

I didn't mean that the word meant anything. I'm sure that the files are tied together. But I'm wondering what the files are being used for. Again, it's pure speculation and they might not even be that important. But that won't stop me from speculating.

Sibylus

Banned
JaseC said:
Remove the spoiler tags. If people preferred to stay in the dark, they wouldn't click on the thread. :p
Uhm, please don't do this. I'd like to follow along with the ARG without having to scroll past swathes of spoilery game assets.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
I'm not going to remove the tags. The ARG and possible spoilers found within the Portal 2 files are two different things.

Also, I just found a whole folder called "soundcache" in the "maps" folder full of files that have a type "MANIFEST file". I'm less hopeful for my earlier speculation,
but given that the only file mentioning bonus maps was bonus_maps_manifest, I will keep some hope alive.

JaseC

Botolf said:
Uhm, please don't do this. I'd like to follow along with the ARG without having to scroll past swathes of spoilery game assets.

Text isn't a game asset. :p

Edit: If you want to follow the ARG and not have to worry about potentially spoiling your blackout on Portal 2, then just use the Wiki. This thread has functioned just fine without the use of spoiler tags.

MasterShotgun said:
I'm not going to remove the tags. The ARG and possible spoilers found within the Portal 2 files are two different things.]=

Nothing you posted above could in any way spoil Portal 2.

This thread is going to be come so bloody annoying to read if everybody starts spoiler-tagging their posts because a few people don't want to follow the ARG as thoroughly as everybody else.

Goon Boon

Banned
JaseC said:
Text isn't a game asset.

Nothing you posted above could in any way spoil Portal 2.

This thread is going to be come so bloody annoying to read if everybody starts spoiler-tagging their posts because a few people don't want to follow the ARG as thoroughly as everybody else.
You could passively aggressively quote and remove the
tags from all his posts if you want - food for thought!

JaseC

Goon Boon said:
You could passively aggressively quote and remove the
tags from all his posts if you want - food for thought!
Haha, I'm not going to do that. If he wishes to mask his posts, then so be it.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
CarbonatedFalcon said:
Could refer to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manifest_file

The more exciting answer would be
that it's related to a ship's manifest, and the Borealis being a ship...

An alternate, but still promising explanation would be
that it relates to the other definition of manifest, meaning "clear or obvious to the eye or mind". Maybe you acquire some kind of supervision or something that is reflected in the world/HUD?
I am pretty sure they are just Manifest files.

Sibylus

Banned
JaseC said:
Text isn't a game asset.
You're splitting hairs. These are manifests of assets located within the game, many of which will be entirely descriptive of what they are. Scripted sequences, gameplay mechanics, characters, story events, you name it.

And sure, the wiki is there, but it's impersonal. I like reading about it through Neogaf's lens.

None of these manifests are a component of the ARG to begin with, so there's no rationale for dumping them in here naked.

gblues

Banned
The manifest files are most likely simply a list of offsets for the packed assets contained in the main file to speed up data access. It's pretty mundane.

JaseC

Botolf said:
None of these manifests are a component of the ARG to begin with, so there's no rationale for dumping them in here naked.

Nobody has and it's unlikely anybody will.

SlickVic

Heh, this got me to play Audiosurf for the first time in a long while (probably a couple years). Forgot how addictive this game is.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Okay, I jumped the gun on the "manifest" thing. There were files with the exact same name in the Portal 1 files. It does look like they were used to reference other files. I'll do my research better next time.

I still stand behind the other spoilerific post I made earlier (back a page or more), except for one point.

I mentioned a file called weapon_alyxgun. Turns out, it (and pretty much every weapon_ file in Portal 2) was probably just leftover from Portal 1 files. There goes that awesome hope.

MasterShotgun said:
Okay, I jumped the gun on the "manifest" thing. There were files with the exact same name in the Portal 1 files. It does look like they were used to reference other files. I'll do my research better next time.

I still stand behind the other spoilerific post I made earlier, except for one point.

I mentioned a file called weapon_alyxgun. Turns out, it (and pretty much every weapon_ file in Portal 2) was probably just leftover from Portal 1 files. There goes that awesome hope.

You mean my conclusion jumping speculation is now pointless?

BOOOOoooooo

Still fun to do though.

Greyvvolf

SalsaShark said:
21 potatoes

this is a loong day, damn :p
Just 9 or 8 more, SalsaShark. It looks like there is 29/30 potatoes all together. I have 18 so far and plan to get the potato for Amnesia tomorrow. No way in hell am I playing that tonight. The rest of the games are on my laptop and I won't have it until tomorrow. Good luck.

Top Bottom