• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vandals spraypaint "Nigger" on gate of Lebron James' LA home

Deepwater

lebron got a whole house that he uses like 5 times a year that's worth more than I will probably earn in my lifetime.

there's something poignant about constantly realizing how broke you are.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Yes Economic Anxiety is US election meme and the other is more a GAF meme

And that was obvious sarcasm.

We don't know yet. It's a possible hate crime. Maybe nigger means "I think you are overrated" in some obscure language.
I get it's sarcastic, I guess I'm just not used to it yet, I'm guessing it has to do with all the commentary on people voting for Trump because of economic anxiety, but is that term a dog whistle now? Or does it have something to do with Lebron being rich as fuck? Because I could imagine someone with a straight face saying that this is about Lebron having more money than the average man, and this person is just poor and lashing out, not racism - kind of like the recent Euro threads on racism.

Fuck I've had a long day and I don't know which way is up anymore.

The permanent reminder. No matter how famous you are. No matter how rich, successful, loved and talented.

To a lot of people, you ain't nothing but an animal.

Really not much to add as this is blatantly racist. But maybe this will fire LeBron up to score more.

Also Lol at making gate puns.

The most hated athlete for really never doing anything besides being petty at times. The hate surrounding this guy is more then so many piece of shit athletes, its mind boggling.

I couldn't picture what James would go through if he did what Peyton perfect image everybody loves Manning did in collage.

Outside of basketball, he's been a saint. A family man and a real role model for the youth.

"Detectives are investigating the incident as a possible hate crime."

Are they legally required to use the word "possible"? Because where the fuck is the "possible" in this scenario? Graffiti on private property is a crime, and they used the worst racial slur imaginable... what the fuck else could it be if not a hate crime? They don't use that language for other crimes. James Holmes didn't get arrested for "possible" mass murder. Racism isn't going to magically disappear just because you pretend it might all be a misunderstanding.

Sunster

Are they legally required to use the word "possible"? Because where the fuck is the "possible" in this scenario? Graffiti on private property is a crime, and they used the worst racial slur imaginable... what the fuck else could it be if not a hate crime? They don't use that language for other crimes. James Holmes didn't get arrested for "possible" mass murder. Racism isn't going to magically disappear just because you pretend it might all be a misunderstanding.

no one wants to add to the hate crime stats maybe? idk. some bullshit reason.

caliph95

Don't follow sports just curious did Lebron did something that will piss some people off besides typical team mentality

Pakkidis

This is my reaction to the story as well. What has to happen before its no longer "possible"?

Brashnir

It's the reason way news reports always use "alleged," even when things seem pretty clear cut.

Jag

Don't follow sports just curious did Lebron did something that will piss some people off besides typical team mentality

Lebron is an amazing role model for kids. People give him crap but he's an honorable guy on and off the court.

When I was a kid my great grandma would always say "el negro es negro dónde quiera" (a nigger is a nigger everywhere) only when I got older did I realize what she meant. LeBron is an example of this. You can be wholesome, successful, a role model, extremely wealthy. But in America if you're Black, doesn't count for shit.

mnannola

When I was a kid my great grandma would always say "el negro es negro dónde quiera" (a nigger is a nigger everywhere) only when I got older did I realize what she meant. LeBron is an example of this. You can be wholesome, successful, a role model, extremely wealthy. But in America if you're Black, doesn't count for shit.

The only people that truly have any hate toward LeBron are idiots. This includes racists. Dude seems like an outstanding person, his biggest scandal was announcing he was moving to a new team on ESPN. He is a top 5 NBA player all time. No good reason to hate on him.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
For some folks, no matter how far we climb, or how successful we are, we'll still just be a nigger to them. That shit is embedded deep, and "teachable moments" aren't going to do shit.

Speaking as someone who used to harbor more than a little racism, homophobia, and Islamophobia during his youth growing up in Wisconsin, I know that change starts from within. It wasn't until I got my head out of my ass and realized how horrible and hypocritical of a person I was being to those that weren't like me that I decided to change (hypocritical, because, as a black dude, I wanted equality and my rights as a human being respected, yet I used to turn a blind eye to the plights of other marginalized groups/minorities like the LGBT community).

These people won't change until they actively pursue change. Me being a model negro isn't going to do shit to get them to stop hating me and people like me. Lebron is a talented and respected athlete, but he's still black, and this is a reminder that some people will never be able to see past that. The sad and frustrating thing is that there are a lot more people like that in this country than we're comfortable admitting to. These aren't isolated incidents for the vast majority of minorities in this country.

I hope when these people are caught, they get more than just a slap on the wrist.

For some folks, no matter how far we climb, or how successful we are, we'll still just be a nigger to them. That shit is embedded deep, and "teachable moments" aren't going to do shit.

Speaking as someone who used to harbor more than a little racism, homophobia, and Islamophobia during his youth growing up in Wisconsin, I know that change starts from within. It wasn't until I got my head out of my ass and realized how horrible and hypocritical of a person I was being to those that weren't like me that I decided to change (hypocritical, because, as a black dude, I wanted equality and my rights as a human being respected, yet I used to turn a blind eye to the plights of other marginalized groups/minorities like the LGBT community).

These people won't change until they actively pursue change. Me being a model negro isn't going to do shit to get them to stop hating me and people like me. Lebron is a talented and respected athlete, but he's still black, and this is a reminder that some people will never be able to see past that. The sad and frustrating thing is that there are a lot more people like that in this country than we're comfortable admitting to. These aren't isolated incidents for the vast majority of minorities in this country.

I hope when these people are caught, they get more than just a slap on the wrist.

This post is spot on. Good shit right here.

Like, not to hijack the thread - but this is obvious racism. 100% full stop. I don't understand what you mean by this? I think it's a U.S. election meme I might have missed because I've seen it a lot.

It's a stupid meme in naive bubbles like gaf that basically acts as if the millions of obama voters who voted Trump or stayed home this past election are all racist scumbag nazis/kkk members instead of just frustrated idiots.

So legally ... what's the hate crime modifier for something like vandalism?

Probably still less than walking down the street while black if the cops get that "dehumanizing glare".

Let's have a sharp reduction on sarcastic shit posting. Everyone's already heard the one about economic anxiety about four thousand times. If you don't have anything useful to add, it's okay not to post.

Can I jokingly say the spray painters were likely from San Francisco and/or Boston?

Jombie

I'm sure the assailants are real successes in life. Really can't do anything but roll your eyes at pieces of shit like that.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Are some of those responses really bad sarcasm or are they serious?

In what way could this be a "hoax"? What would make it hoax?
Twitter responses will make you question humanity. There's a lot of ignorant idiots about.

Top Bottom