• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vigil: If Darksiders 2 sells 4-5 mil copies, [Updated with dev comments]

SparkTR

They did that with the 1st game. :)

While they did ship 1.2 million, I'd be surprised if they sold a million of those copies at full price. If I remember right it dropped price pretty quickly, around early Feb from memory and sooner with online retailers.

I find that hard to believe and would need to see proof. Proof that this new IP (that didn't receive 9's and 10s from IGN and Meta) from a B list developer sold 1 million units at 63 bucks a pop.

Why does it have to be $63? The amount they've sold means that many people are interested in the IP.

Why does it have to be $63? The amount they've sold means that many people are interested in the IP.

59.99 plus tax dude. It always comes out to 63 and some change. I'm just saying that I seriously doubt itll sell a million at full price. It's not a megaton show stopping franchise. And yeah its got a fanbase, but clearly the majority of that fanbase was only attracted to the first game when it drastically dropped in price.

DieH@rd

Banned
I find that hard to believe and would need to see proof. Proof that this new IP (that didn't receive 9's and 10s from IGN and Meta) from a B list developer sold 1 million units at 63 bucks a pop.

Sadly, we dont have any concrete proof. One month after game went to sales on consoles in Jan 2010, THQ revealed that they shipped 1.2 mil units to the US, and that they have earned back all the money [+ a little more] that was invested into the production of the game. From that point on [and that was long time ago], game went on the sale on PC, and THQ did not release any new info.

They were not in the minus with DS1, but who knows how much manpower was invested into DS2. At one point 200 devs worked in Vigil, but around 100 of them lost their jobs when Games Worskhop decided to pull their licence for WH40K MMO. So we know that <100 worked on DS2 for ~2 years.

They shipped over a million units in the first month of release, I can't conceivably see how they could have sold less than that. Also how many sales figures do you see that don't include discounted copies? Even big games like the CoDs get discounted at certain retailers, I don't think it's relevant.

Anyway it was successful enough for THQ to make a sequel so that should tell you something.

Meier

OK, now we know that Vigil is not under pressure to sell 4-5 million copies of the game.That number was pulled out form HDN-s ass as an example, and THQ would be happy if they even break even or earn a little.

Its a shame that majority of the GAF will enter into this thread and ignore his comments. :-/

Haydn is pretty transparent on Twitter -- really nice and friendly guy who I have followed for awhile. With that being said, I'd imagine Jason/THQ brass asked him to reach out and clarify his statement and GAF is a nice place to do so. There is still a certain level of pressure regarding it selling some number, whether it's 4-5 million or 2-3 million or whatever.

They shipped over a million units in the first month of release, I can't conceivably see how they could have sold less than that. Also how many sales figures do you see that don't include discounted copies? Even big games like the CoDs get discounted at certain retailers, I don't think it's relevant.

Anyway it was successful enough for THQ to make a sequel so that should tell you something.

What isn't relevant? Making the strongest profit possible while it's priced at its max?

DieH@rd

Banned
I am thinking you do a lot of horse back riding in Darksiders 2.

They simplified backtracking. From any point of the game you can fire up your map and instantly teleport to previously visited locations. Fast travel is just one of the many awesome new features of DS2.

At this point I bet the Darksiders 2 team is already moving on to a new game on a different IP.

Sad face. :(

If they are doing that, i dont think money will be a problem. New IP can mean that they have come up with the awesome idea, or that they need a break from Darksiders universe to recharge creative batteries with new kind of a game.

Market forces will decide if there will be Darksiders 3, but Vigil will survive.

What isn't relevant? Making the strongest profit possible while it's priced at its max?
My point is when discussing sales we never have the information at hand of how many copies were discounted. That's why it's not relevant to the discussion at hand- was Darksiders 1 successful and will Darksiders 2 be successful?

It seems to me you're just using that argument (sales numbers are inflated because many people bought the game at a discount) because you have some weird grudge against this game/series.

DieH@rd

Banned
In the last 5 years, did we EVER get detailed sales info about some popular million+ selling game? How much was sold at full price, how much at various discounts, etc.

I don't remember that happening.

My point is when discussing sales we never have the information at hand of how many copies were discounted. That's why it's not relevant to the discussion at hand- was Darksiders 1 successful and will Darksiders 2 be successful?

It seems to me you're just using that argument (sales numbers are inflated because many people bought the game at a discount) because you have some weird grudge against this game/series.

Nope. Ill be buying a copy at full price even though the first one put me to sleep. The art style is more attractive to me than the original and I haven't played a decent Zelda game in years. Heres to hopin.

Edit: I do have a grudge against THQ though, but that's been held onto since I was a kid during the NES days =P

NIN90

Wait, so if a title of a franchise sells a lot of copies, the publisher greenlights another title of said franchise?

forrest

formerly nacire
I think Darksiders 3 will do respectable numbers, though I'm personally hoping they blow it out of the water!

One question about the statements though. I get that numbers were used to create a sense of high sales = continued franchise, but why is there any talk about reducing the scope of the game? Does it have to do with the current size of the DS team? I saw someone mention Rubin's change in tactics regarding game development given THQ's current financial status. Could that be the reason to talk about making a smaller sequel?

Anyhow I was just curious as I saw it mentioned, but no real reasoning for it being mentioned.

Maffis

I think Darksiders 3 will do respectable numbers, though I'm personally hoping they blow it out of the water!

One question about the statements though. I get that numbers were used to create a sense of high sales = continued franchise, but why is there any talk about reducing the scope of the game? Does it have to do with the current size of the DS team? I saw someone mention Rubin's change in tactics regarding game development given THQ's current financial status. Could that be the reason to talk about making a smaller sequel?

Anyhow I was just curious as I saw it mentioned, but no real reasoning for it being mentioned.

Yes it has been. Check the OP.

DieH@rd

Banned
...but why is there any talk about reducing the scope of the game?

I think that Vigil themselves know that they have made game that is too big. 4 times larger landmass than DS1?
THAT'S HUGE!

Make the game 2 times larger than DS1, and put into that landmass tons of more closely packed content and I will be more than happy.

Nope. Ill be buying a copy at full price even though the first one put me to sleep. The art style is more attractive to me than the original and I haven't played a decent Zelda game in years. Heres to hopin.

Edit: I do have a grudge against THQ though, but that's been held onto since I was a kid during the NES days =P
Oh OK haha

THQ has been on fire for me this generation (Saints Row games, Red Faction Guerrilla, Darksiders, Metro 2033). I've been pretty happy with them and I hope they survive the coming years. =\

VVIS

Neo Member
On a GOOD day, THQ and all publishers have a bad habit of raising sales forecasts just to make the books look better for shareholders. Considering THQ is on the ropes, this 4-5 million number isn't just a goal, it's a freakin minimum. Maybe if some of their other upcoming games did well, Darksiders wouldn't need to make so much.

I experienced this first hand on a THQ game- they literally doubled the sales forecast, which put us under the spotlight when it sold more like the initial expectations. Somehow it's the developer's fault that the marketing department wanted to sell more copies, but didn't. We all want to sell copies.

On a GOOD day, THQ and all publishers have a bad habit of raising sales forecasts just to make the books look better for shareholders. Considering THQ is on the ropes, this 4-5 million number isn't just a goal, it's a freakin minimum. Maybe if some of their other upcoming games did well, Darksiders wouldn't need to make so much.

I experienced this first hand on a THQ game- they literally doubled the sales forecast, which put us under the spotlight when it sold more like the initial expectations. Somehow it's the developer's fault that the marketing department wanted to sell more copies, but didn't. We all want to sell copies.
That's assy. What game did you work on?

Peterthumpa

It's funny how this kind of situation happens in any kind of bussiness where developing something to be sold later to the mass market is involved. And usually in companies with "health problems".

Better to have a "smaller" Darksiders 3 than no Darksiders 3 at all of course.

This next 2 months will be killing me with day 1 purchases... This, Tales of Graces F, Sleeping Dogs and Resident Evil 6.
I haven't been spending so much per game in a very long time.

Elginer

Well I bought the original on 360 and again on Steam and I plan to do the same for Darksiders II. 360 version is paid off and I'll pick it up again on Steam on a sale. Hope it does well as Vigil is a great studio.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
hmmm.

well if they don't hit that target,I hope they at least make Darksiders 3 as a 2D downloadable game(2D Zelda are the best Zelda anyway)

Hahahahaha....
HAHAHAHAHA
lol.

Why does every fucking game has to have incredibly high sales targets? It's stupid and I guess this is the last DarkSiders game we'll get

Geoff9920

This wasn't a sales forcast given to investors. It was a hypothetical example basically saying that if the game is successful, a sequal would be possible in the future. The original post of this thread even has quotes from a dev explaining this.

Hahahahaha....
HAHAHAHAHA
lol.

Why does every fucking game has to have incredibly high sales targets? It's stupid and I guess this is the last DarkSiders game we'll get

What an obnoxious post, just the way it's written with the hahas and spoiler tag, ugh. Read the OP or the previous page for clarification on these comments.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Sure is full of optimism in here.

I mean, it's releasing the same day as Sleeping Dogs, sure, but in a summer that's been a wasteland, release-wise. Both it and Sleeping Dogs have the chance to do well.

Sure is full of optimism in here.

I mean, it's releasing the same day as Sleeping Dogs, sure, but in a summer that's been a wasteland, release-wise. Both it and Sleeping Dogs have the chance to do well.

I'm somehow afraid that neither is going to do well :(

The only point in favor thay have is the timing itself, and the fact that maybe the two attract a diverse crowd so they shouldn't be getting in the way of the other...

forrest

formerly nacire
Yes it has been. Check the OP.

I re-read the OP and I'm still not really grasping why there is talk about a reduction in scale. Just for the sake of a higher concentration of content. Seems fairly logical to me. I'm not sure how this talk reflects on their current opinions on Darksiders 2 though.

I think I prefer a more sprawling world even if it means less content density. Shadow of the Colossus comes to mind.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I'm somehow afraid that neither is going to do well :(

Like I said, June, July and August are pretty bare when it comes to release, some are dying for a big game or 2, and I hope Darksiders 2 and Sleeping Dogs can fill that cap for them.

Then September arrives and it's the nightmare season for our wallets all over again.

EDIT: Hey look at this.

UEwMV.png

It has 761 votes. And some people should really check their release date.

Sleeping Dogs has 171 votes.

lucius

3 million is more realistic the previews of the game have not looked that great, Borderlands 2 could get those numbers if everything goes right.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Funny that Borderlands 2 a September release gets thrown into August

Also Sleeping Dogs on the poll, voted twice... WAT?!?

Ah Gametrailers Facebook voting poll... yeah... that really mean Darksiders 2 is going to do gangbusters

I hear Gamefaqs has it as they're #1 summer sizzle game.. that must mean millions of sale amirite?

4mil is not totally insane number...

1.5 mil on xbox 360
1.5 mil on ps3
0.5 mil on pc

and who knows how much on Wii U [launch game, the only game of that genre for that console in foreseeable future...]

But those aren't even close to being realistic expectations, right?

Top Bottom