• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita "hacked," (PSP) homebrew on the way (not piracy)

Might as well ask, though I'm pretty sure the answer is no: is there any way to deactivate my TN-V Vita before 3.30 releases and keep the exploit? I ask mostly because I don't want both Vitas on my PSN account (I have a non-exploit one that I can keep up to date), but if I understand correctly deactivating my Vita would also render the PSP games I've downloaded to it useless, thus locking me out of TN-V. Does that sound right?

Might as well ask, though I'm pretty sure the answer is no: is there any way to deactivate my TN-V Vita before 3.30 releases and keep the exploit? I ask mostly because I don't want both Vitas on my PSN account (I have a non-exploit one that I can keep up to date), but if I understand correctly deactivating my Vita would also render the PSP games I've downloaded to it useless, thus locking me out of TN-V. Does that sound right?
You could just turn off Wi-Fi and prevent the other one from connecting to the internet instead of deactivating.

You could just turn off Wi-Fi and prevent the other one from connecting to the internet instead of deactivating.

Yeah, that's what I did last time, but since PSN has a limit of two Vita devices, it could potentially be an issue if I ever decide to get, say, Playstation TV. I probably won't, but yeah.

It was a more pressing issue when I thought PSN restricted you to two HANDHELDS, not two Vita devices, because I didn't really want to have to deactivate my PSP just to keep my hacked Vita and my clean Vita on my PSN account.

swnny

It SHOULDN'T be bannable... These are demos that are freely available on the Japanese PSN and you can 'easily' play them by changing your Vita's PSN account to one from the Japanese region... that said, any time you do anything outside of what Sony asks it's possible.

Sony doesn't have a bad track record on these sorts of things though. They never banned anyone outright for having custom firmware PS3 (though if you did certain actions like hacking online games, that's another matter entirely), or by installing PSP homebrew on either PSPs or Vitas.

Thanks for the reply!
I decided to give it a try before updating to 3.30 in the coming days.
Playing Freedom Wars JP demo at the moment, and damn, I'm hyping myself even more now...
Gonna try the rest of the demos as well, hope Tales of Hearts R is good too.

Contra11

Banned
I managed to run the PSP emulator few minutes ago on my Vita .. and i have a question .. do i have to install plugins and when do i have to ? its seems quite complicated

I managed to run the PSP emulator few minutes ago on my Vita .. and i have a question .. do i have to install plugins and when do i have to ? its seems quite complicated

You only need to install plugins if there are plugins you want to use. The savestate plugin for PSP games for instance is a nice one to have, but far from necessary.

Update on 3.30: It's been confirmed that upgrading will patch the PSP Kernel exploit (so you can't use TN-V or access any PSP games). If you still have the games however, the user mode exploits have not been patched. This means if you're only using the Vita to play homebrew and don't care about playing PSP or PS1 games you can upgrade, you'll just have to wait a few days for a proper VHBL to be released. This may be a turning point in how Sony wants to handle these hacks, OR it may that they really wanted to get 3.30 out and just fixed the larger issue with plans to patch the less important issues down the line.

paolo11

You only need to install plugins if there are plugins you want to use. The savestate plugin for PSP games for instance is a nice one to have, but far from necessary.

Update on 3.30: It's been confirmed that upgrading will patch the PSP Kernel exploit (so you can't use TN-V or access any PSP games). If you still have the games however, the user mode exploits have not been patched. This means if you're only using the Vita to play homebrew and don't care about playing PSP or PS1 games you can upgrade, you'll just have to wait a few days for a proper VHBL to be released. This may be a turning point in how Sony wants to handle these hacks, OR it may that they really wanted to get 3.30 out and just fixed the larger issue with plans to patch the less important issues down the line.

Hmm... so GB or Talkmam Tokyo is useless for PSP exploit whether you have it installed or not once you upgrade to 3.30 huh?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
is it safe to use Vita FTP? Or I will get the update message?

It's safe. Anything that DOES NOT require accessing PSN (AKA: Internet and PSP games) will be fine. FTP is an "internet" protocol and not a Sony-held protocol.

Hello, I'd like to ask a question: now that 3.30 is out can I still use Package Installer if I don't update the firmware? I wanted to install some JPN demos before upgrading but QCMA won't work (it says that no PSVita has been registered). I apparently have to connect it via Content Manager first, but no matter what I try it keeps asking me to update the firmware... which I don't want to do right now.
Am I completely out of luck? :/

Hmm... so GB or Talkmam Tokyo is useless for PSP exploit whether you have it installed or not once you upgrade to 3.30 huh?

I'm still trying to get confirmation... what it SOUNDS like is that the user mode exploits in those games still works. That is, you can still transfer the saves, you can still load them, but the Vita will toss out an error code at you. This is different from previous user mode exploits which would tell you the save is corrupt as you try to load the game. This means that you are definitely getting in-game with the saves, and sony doesn't patch the games themselves, they instead rely on the OS to weed out the bad saves before they are even loaded in the game.

So GB and Talkman Tokyo may still be useful for VHBL (Vita Half Bite Loader, used for homebrew) or if another PSP kernel exploit is discovered (depending on if Sony decides to patch the user mode exploits down the line).

Hello, I'd like to ask a question: now that 3.30 is out can I still use Package Installer if I don't update the firmware? I wanted to install some JPN demos before upgrading but QCMA won't work (it says that no PSVita has been registered). I apparently have to connect it via Content Manager first, but no matter what I try it keeps asking me to update the firmware... which I don't want to do right now.
Am I completely out of luck? :/

Not positive, but my guess would be yes. The package manager itself may also require you to be on the latest firmware to work, and as we know the latest firmware blocks it.

Not positive, but my guess would be yes. The package manager itself may also require you to be on the latest firmware to work, and as we know the latest firmware blocks it.

Hm, that'll teach me to try stuff earlier I guess. I'll try a few more things, if it doesn't work I'll just upgrade and forget the package installer even existed.

EDIT: I've managed to connect the Vita, I simply turned it off, removed the memory card and connected it that way. I then rebooted the Vita with the memory card in and that did the trick, installing some demos now.

stryke

Hm, that'll teach me to try stuff earlier I guess. I'll try a few more things, if it doesn't work I'll just upgrade and forget the package installer even existed.

EDIT: I've managed to connect the Vita, I simply turned it off, removed the memory card and connected it that way. I then rebooted the Vita with the memory card in and that did the trick, installing some demos now.

You shouldn't need to remove the memory card. If at any time your vita has connected to the internet, you will need to reset with the wireless turned off to use QMCA. At least, that's how I remembered it being used when you're on lower firmware.

Oh, that's nice to know, so a simple restart would've been enough? I guess I tend to overcomplicate stuff :/
Well, regardless of that I'm enjoying some Japanese demos on my EU Vita now, so that works either way.

Past

Any exploitable games left or are they all patched/removed? (didn't update to 3.30 yet) Just imported a Vita Slim, so I'll have the OLED Vita to mess around with homebrew.

Edit: nvm, games are still available, but I am screwed anyway. I cannot connect to the store since I need to update and transferring the game from PS3 to Vita requires me to update the system too. Thankfully I bought the cheapest game so it's not a huge lost (Talkman™ Travel: Tokyo - $3).

Any exploitable games left or are they all patched/removed? (didn't update to 3.30 yet) Just imported a Vita Slim, so I'll have the OLED Vita to mess around with homebrew.

Edit: nvm, games are still available, but I am screwed anyway. I cannot connect to the store since I need to update and transferring the game from PS3 to Vita requires me to update the system too. Thankfully I bought the cheapest game so it's not a huge lost (Talkman™ Travel: Tokyo - $3).

Do The cma trick

stryke

Yeah... I just remembered about the OpenCMA trick lol. Got the homebrew now, all is good.

p.s just wondering why did some people in this thread used the Gladiotor game when there were cheaper alternatives?

because the cheaper alternatives didn't become apparent until a day or two after Gladiator was initally revealed.

because the cheaper alternatives didn't become apparent until a day or two after Gladiator was initially revealed.

This, GB was the first game leaked and all of the files were released to get it going at once. The rest of the games were leaked a few days later and it was a day or two after before all were updated to support TN-V.

That said, glad to know the CMA trick still works.

Also a couple things to note: You can still download files directly to your vita from the web store (log into the web store, tell it to send the game to your vita). This usually gets fixed a few days/weeks after a big update so take advantage of it while you can.

Checking out the various websites, it seems that the exploited games are still exploitable and available, but of course the kernel exploit is patched and it looks like VHBL may be being blocked. If you've updated you may still be able to take advantage of a future VHBL release.

Is there a way to transfer Tekken 2 to my Vita without needing to update ?

Airplane mode your vita and disable WiFi. Turn off auto update. Reboot

Use qcma
Connect vita to PC
Let it recognize it
Unplug it from PC. Do not close the error message
Connect it to ps3
Pull it from ps3
Enjoy

Question time

I have a shitty 4gb card

If I want to upgrade, when I enter a new one it will ask to format the vita. Will I need to connect to the psn and upgrade?

nm3th

Hey GAF, I'd like to be able to play SNES and GBA games on my Vita.

Vita is on 3.18. I don't own any of the exploited games yet. I don't have a ps3, only ps4.

In my situation will I be able to do it? If so, can you point me to the resource? I don't mind reading up, but I don't know where to start. TIA

Question time

I have a shitty 4gb card

If I want to upgrade, when I enter a new one it will ask to format the vita. Will I need to connect to the psn and upgrade?

No, but if you want to try by yourself just switch off wifi and try, if the PSN message appears you need to connect
but of course connection is not needed for that :)

Hey GAF, I'd like to be able to play SNES and GBA games on my Vita.

Vita is on 3.18. I don't own any of the exploited games yet. I don't have a ps3, only ps4.

In my situation will I be able to do it? If so, can you point me to the resource? I don't mind reading up, but I don't know where to start. TIA

Go to the webstore, purchase Talkman Tokyo ($3 in the US, get patapon if you live anywhere else) and tell it to send the game to your Vita. This will still work for at least a few more days/weeks.

Note your vita does have to be connected to the internet (obviously) just don't update. Don't panic if it doesn't send at first, sometimes it takes an hour or two for your vita to decide to sync with the download server.

Sorry for the double post, we have full confirmation on where things stand now...

With the Package Installer gone, what is left to check? Well, we still have to check for the various kernel exploits and the usermode exploit games.

The good news is, most of the exploit games can still be used on firmware 3.30, with the exception of the standalone released exploit game – Z.H.P.: Zettai Hero Project.

The bad news is, the kernel mode exploit, released by qwikrazor, has been fully patched and the execution of the TN-V eCFW on Firmware 3.30 is not possible (at the moment).

Sony has also added some new security mechanisms, that prevent the execution of an ‘H.BIN’ file, which we’ve used since the very first days of PSPemulator hacks for the PS Vita.

To sum it up:
Package installer is out. There is another way they had to pull the package installer up, but the program itself on the vita now has additional security measures on it, so don't expect that to work again for a long time if at all.

Exploitable games on 3.30 ALL still work except for ZHP, the problem is the kernel exploit has indeed been patched and now the Vita firmware looks for (partially) homebrew software loading. This can likely be overcome, but there is no sign of a kernel exploit release any time soon.

It's not all bad news though! Vita Update Blocker works if you're on 3.18! Well, sort of.

http://hackinformer.com/2014/04/16/a-different-way-to-transfer-games-to-psvita-ps3/

Boot that up, set your PSV to proxy on it and you'll be able to get onto the PSN as well as the store! The problem is, it's quite unstable... I can get on long enough to get into my download list and start a game downloading before it boots me from PSN (the download continues, redownloading Muramasa as we speak)

This work around has been patched before and it will certainly be patched again, so use it while you can if you want it.

nm3th

Go to the webstore, purchase Talkman Tokyo ($3 in the US, get patapon if you live anywhere else) and tell it to send the game to your Vita. This will still work for at least a few more days/weeks.

Thanks, I got talkman installed. But I can't get my vita to connect to my PC using opencma. I tried both the newest version of CMA and an older 2.xx. Any suggestions?

I'm still on 3.18, but I was wondering if I'm not interested in PS1/PSP games, is it still worth not being able to go online/PSN to keep homebrew?

I'm still on 3.18, but I was wondering if I'm not interested in PS1/PSP games, is it still worth not being able to go online/PSN to keep homebrew?

If you're not interesting in PS1/PSP it's still likely best to stay on 3.18 at the moment unless there is something you need from 3.30. If all you're interested in is PSP homebrew, keep an eye on wololo.net or this thread and you should see when the new VHBL releases hit that support 3.30. I don't imagine it will take a particularly long time since exploits were not patched, it's just a matter of working around Sony's new in-built homebrew detection. A bit of obfuscation will likely be enough to get around it.

Sorry for another double post.

http://wololo.net/2014/10/06/skfu-r...firms-he-can-still-run-the-package-installer/

Wololo said:
So, right after I wondered if the scene was totally screwed with firmware 3.30, SKFU made a statement in his own blog, and has some good news to share (kind of)

SKFU confirms that he is still able to run the Package Installer on firmware 3.30, something that nobody else so far has confirmed they could achieve. SKFU adds he also has a way to install pkg files without using the PKG Installer. I’m sure these secrets will stay well hidden until revealing them becomes useful for the scene, but this is really good news.

The package installer is not completely lost afterall. The consensus is still that if you want native Vita hacking, you need to stay on 3.18 though since that is where all of the big developers are currently focusing their attention. The exploits are all there. I would expect once they have the vita cracked open, it'll be easier to find exploits in the system and push out things for newer system versions, but it will likely be a lot farther away.

(edit) Instead of bumping yet again, I'll just update this and wait for someone else to bump :)

Unsigned code in PSP mode has been accomplished, circumventing Sony's new exploit detection they put into 3.30 (that didn't take long!)

Sony’s new PS Vita firmware 3.30 added a few more security checks, that prevented us from running the Vita Half Byte Loader (VHBL) and other things.

Thanks to japanese developer 173210, this is a thing of the past!

He was able to successfully execute a Hello World on firmware 3.30 via a well known game!
A VHBL release for firmware 3.30 seems realistic, while an eCFW release seems unrealistic (at least for the public).

Do note that depending on the game, VHBL compatibility will be different. A game that used more of the PSP features is likely to have more compatibility versus a game that didn't use many (speculation, Gladiator Begins sounds more likely to have high VHBL compatibility versus Talkman Tokyo). Sony being lazy in patching these games will still be beneficial to a lot of people.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Vita is on 3.18....Is there anyway to connect the vita to the PC??? ....OpenCMA...QCMA....CMA....Nothing works anymore :(

Gaspard

What method should I go for putting PS1 games on the Vita to play through XS Moto?

I've tried putting the games in the INSTALL.ZIP folder as PSP/GAME/GAMENAME.ISO
and the game transfers through the save data, but it does not appear on the list when I boot XS Moto.

Should I be using EBOOTs instead? Thanks in advance if someone could help.

If you're not interesting in PS1/PSP it's still likely best to stay on 3.18 at the moment unless there is something you need from 3.30. If all you're interested in is PSP homebrew, keep an eye on wololo.net or this thread and you should see when the new VHBL releases hit that support 3.30. I don't imagine it will take a particularly long time since exploits were not patched, it's just a matter of working around Sony's new in-built homebrew detection. A bit of obfuscation will likely be enough to get around it.

Thanks, looks like I'll still be on 3.18. Luckily that hack to spoof the PSN server seems to still work.

Top Bottom