• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita "hacked," (PSP) homebrew on the way (not piracy)

It's not possible to buy a 3.18 Vita and use it for CFW anymore, right? I'd imagine that with the recent update, one can't associate a lower FW Vita with their PSN account due to not being able to go online.

The same question applies to upgrading a memory card.

Izuna

Banned
It's not possible to buy a 3.18 Vita and use it for CFW anymore, right? I'd imagine that with the recent update, one can't associate a lower FW Vita with their PSN account due to not being able to go online.

The same question applies to upgrading a memory card.

With upgrading a memory card you can just make a backup with CMA and restore it, I have done that many times.

The problem with getting a 3.18 Vita is that you need to download the game. Apparently a spoof for that is still working.

With upgrading a memory card you can just make a backup with CMA and restore it, I have done that many times.

The problem with getting a 3.18 Vita is that you need to download the game. Apparently a spoof for that is still working.
Ah! I didn't know one could make 100% backups of MCs with (Q)CMA and then restore it to a different MC, without accessing PSN. Good catch.

For getting a new system at 3.18, I'd imagine it's more an issue of not being able to get one's PSN associated with the system while still staying at 3.18. If that were possible, then QCMA+PS3 trick or any other working trick to DL new games on lower firmwares would suffice.

What method should I go for putting PS1 games on the Vita to play through XS Moto?

I've tried putting the games in the INSTALL.ZIP folder as PSP/GAME/GAMENAME.ISO
and the game transfers through the save data, but it does not appear on the list when I boot XS Moto.

Should I be using EBOOTs instead? Thanks in advance if someone could help.

Make sure The install.zip is all caps. Including the extensión.

But best method is FTP.

I'm thinking of getting a PS TV. Can I use the same memory card on there (kept updated to the most recent FW) as I use on my 3.18 Vita or will the different FWs cause an issue?

Just updated my Vita two days ago. Balls.

Don't feel bad for anyone that did when we had lots of warnings from all of the big names in the PSP/Vita scene saying that if you wanted Vita homebrew not to update to 3.30.

That said, this is still proof of concept, it will likely be weeks or months before it really gets the ball rolling (we're going to need a working SDK to get most fun things up and running).

spons

Gold Member
The page has been updated for 3.18. The exploit works fine on my Vita. Beautiful to see! Also, it -should- work on a 3.20 Vita/PS TV.

we're going to need a working SDK to get most fun things up and running
The official one has been leaked earlier this year, although that's probably illegal to use (no idea about the legal status of EULAs in different countries so don't take that for granted).

Here's how to check for vulnerability: go to this page on your Vita, press start and wait for a message about WebKit. Tap OK, wait a couple of minutes and if you're on an exploitable firmware, a new message should pop up stating just that.

The page has been updated for 3.18. The exploit works fine on my Vita. Beautiful to see! Also, it -should- work on a 3.20 Vita/PS TV.

The official one has been leaked earlier this year, although that's probably illegal to use (no idea about the legal status of EULAs in different countries so don't take that for granted).

Illegal to distribute according to individual country's laws. Following the original x-box homebrew scene was a bit of a mess because of it. Still, this is a hugely good thing for the scene.

MUnited83

For you.
Hopefully what they achieve on those firmwares lead to discovery of vulnerabilities on new firmwares. Sadly I updated mine.(though yeah, I was aware that native hacking was beeing done). Oh well, if anything significant comes out I have no problems on buying a extra Vita for those purposes.

We have confirmation that Vita/Playstation TVs on 3.20 or earlier will also work. So if you have or are planning on getting one, make sure not to update.

Sitrus

Here's how to check for vulnerability: go to this page on your Vita, press start and wait for a message about WebKit. Tap OK, wait a couple of minutes and if you're on an exploitable firmware, a new message should pop up stating just that.

Except that the leaked SDK won't compile working binaries and is binary incompatible with the Vita.

Tizoc

Please do excuse my question as I've never dabbled in this sort of thing, but my recent itch for playing the Crash and Spyro games on the go have gotten to me.
PM me if openly speaking about it is not allowed.
My Vita is 3.30 so I gotta know
1- What's a quick way to downgrade to use the current hacks or whatever they're called.
2- Can we expect a 'hack' for 3.30?
3- What games have exploits in them atm?

stryke

Please do excuse my question as I've never dabbled in this sort of thing, but my recent itch for playing the Crash and Spyro games on the go have gotten to me.
1- What's a quick way to downgrade to use the current hacks or whatever they're called.

1. There's no way to downgrade
2. You'll be waiting for a very long time
3. None that will allow you to play ps1 games

1. No
2. The 3.18 exploit games are STILL exploitable, but the kernel mode exploit has been patched. This means no PS1 or PSP game support when/if a new HBL is announced. Also, we know 3.35 is right around the corner and it will likely be a 'stability' update that finishes off blocking homebrew support once again.
3. Patapon 1/2, Talkman Tokyo, Gladiator Begins, and a few others... but there is currently nothing that takes advantage of these exploits. You missed the bus I'm afraid, and with the top Vita developers focusing their efforts on 3.18 I'm not sure when or if we'll see anything more on the PSP front for awhile.

maus

So uh, having looked through this thread briefly, let me know if I have this right. I just picked up my vita after like a month and it's on 3.18.

If I'm understanding correctly, I need a certain psn game to run the exploit, but as of a recent update I can no longer get into psn in order to download said game. Are there any possible options for me in the works, or is it just as futile as if I had the latest FW?

So uh, having looked through this thread briefly, let me know if I have this right. I just picked up my vita after like a month and it's on 3.18.

If I'm understanding correctly, I need a certain psn game to run the exploit, but as of a recent update I can no longer get into psn in order to download said game. Are there any possible options for me in the works, or is it just as futile as if I had the latest FW?

Do you have a PS3? If yes then there is a well known trick that will allow you to transfer games from your PS3 to the Vita including any already existing exploit titles.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Doesn't mean much unless they can break out of Webkit into the OS itself. I really hope that does happen, for the sake of being able to split my damn save files off the game applications finally which Sony won't let you do due to paranoia from the PSP1. :|

There are already tools to dump the Vita's memory available which is a good start, and depending on what hardware features it's privvy to, there may not be a need to get 'out of webkit' for many/most homebrew. Yes, we'd all like to gain kernel access, but you can do a lot even without it.

whitehawk

Banned

All you need to do is buy the game on PSN and set it to auto-download on your Vita. If it doesn't happen right away, restart your vita and wait a bit. It should start downloading. I'm on 3.18 and that's how I got Nidhogg and the PS+ games on my Vita.

kng3025

All you need to do is buy the game on PSN and set it to auto-download on your Vita. If it doesn't happen right away, restart your vita and wait a bit. It should start downloading. I'm on 3.18 and that's how I got Nidhogg and the PS+ games on my Vita.

Any idea if this method still works? Almost had a heart attack trying to get a psp game onto my Vita yesterday. Kept restarting the Vita hoping it would start the download, and ended up falling asleep. Woke up the next morning to a notification saying that the newest update was downloaded. I flipped thinking that it got installed, but fortunately it didn't.. Not sure why the method isn't working since I used it to put the minecraft demo on my Vita before the psn store fully updated the day it came out.

whitehawk

Banned
Any idea if this method still works? Almost had a heart attack trying to get a psp game onto my Vita yesterday. Kept restarting the Vita hoping it would start the download, and ended up falling asleep. Woke up the next morning to a notification saying that the newest update was downloaded. I flipped thinking that it got installed, but fortunately it didn't.. Not sure why the method isn't working since I used it to put the minecraft demo on my Vita before the psn store fully updated the day it came out.
Not sure, but there are a few different methods: http://wololo.net/2014/10/15/minecr...-or-any-game-on-a-lower-firmware-for-dummies/

Also, the webkit thing apparently works on the PS4. I'm going to be updating though, I don't really care about homebrew on my PS4 when my PC is in the same room.

http://wololo.net/2014/10/24/webkit-exploit-confirmed-to-run-on-ps4-firmware-1-76/

stryke

chatter seems to indicate not much has changed between 3.30 and 3.35 in terms of exploits. VHBL is still possible as well as using QCMA.

Tizoc

I haven't updated to 3.55 yet, and might hold off in the hopes of an exploit that lets me get non compatible PSX and PSP games on it =X

I installed today the Final Burn port on my Vita

now I can play Ketsui wherever I want :D

Ketsui
10521791_10152807548490680_8964284923182606022_n.jpg

DoDonPachi DaiOuJou
DDP_Vita.jpg

Joqu

Disable all network settings, restart your vita, try again.

Make sure you're in Airplane Mode also you might need to restart your Vita before the prompt will go away

Yeah, I'm already doing that. It's still prompting though

edit: Okay, it might have been a driver issue? Reinstalling qcma did the trick. Not sure what could have gone wrong though, this isn't the first time I've used it.

Shaneus

This has probably been asked before, but:
There's a high-level and low-level kind of exploit for Vita (I know one is VHBL, but don't know which. Not important here), one allowing PSP games and emulators etc. to be played, the other only emulators and such. Is there a performance difference between the two for apps/emus?

The latter still has some exploits with the most recent firmware, yes?

stryke

VHBL is the one that lets you play homebrews. It's performance is entirely dependent on the exploit game. Some have very good VHBL performance, some not as good.

Kernal exploits which allow eCFW is as good as running a native psp.

Shaneus

VHBL is the one that lets you play homebrews. It's performance is entirely dependent on the exploit game. Some have very good VHBL performance, some not as good.

Kernal exploits which allow eCFW is as good as running a native psp.
Ahhh, that's all good to know. Thanks for filling me in!

Ahhh, that's all good to know. Thanks for filling me in!

The way it works (to be a bit more in depth), is that the PSP (or PSP emulator in the case of the Vita) is asked for permission for certain parts of the PSP when it loads. The PSP then allows the game access to only those features. That's what you're limited to with VHBL, you're limited to what that game asked for when it first loaded. So if a game never asks for permission to use WiFi, you won't have access if you can get VHBL working on that game.

The way kernel exploits work is instead of taking control of the game, you take control of the system. You no longer have to rely on permission the game asked, you can set the permissions yourself which, of course, gives you more control over what you can and can't do.

I picked up a NiB Assassin's Creed white Vita today... It's running firmware 1.69 currently, and I was thinking that maybe I should use it for a CFW/exploit system... I was an early adopter of CFW for the PSP, but I haven't really been keeping abreast of the Vita scene. Is there a link someone could point me at for clear instructions on what's available for the Vita right now regarding hacks and exploit?

I picked up a NiB Assassin's Creed white Vita today... It's running firmware 1.69 currently, and I was thinking that maybe I should use it for a CFW/exploit system... I was an early adopter of CFW for the PSP, but I haven't really been keeping abreast of the Vita scene. Is there a link someone could point me at for clear instructions on what's available for the Vita right now regarding hacks and exploit?

3.18 has full PSP custom firmware support and a usermode exploit is in the works via webkit (the web browser). Vita homebrew itself is going to be a bit away simply because the SDK is still in it's infancy and thus most developers don't have much to work with (and a lot of hardware features are still locked away).

So, if the goal of the Vita you just acquired is to use it for hacking/homebrew purposes all of the people in the know (the people announcing/releasing exploits) 3.18 is where you need to be at. The best site I've found for following the scene/getting tutorials/etc is http://www.wololo.net

B.K.

The hackers are making some interesting progress on the Vita. They've figured out a way now to install homebrew and PSP games as custom bubbles on the Vita's home screen, so they can be played without other exploits.

The hackers are making some interesting progress on the Vita. They've figured out a way now to install homebrew and PSP games as custom bubbles on the Vita's home screen, so they can be played without other exploits.

but don't you need an exploited game anyway ? Or didn't I correctly understand ?

the difference is you don't need to buy a new exploited game for a certain firmware, if you already have an exploited one you can do that

Young Magus

I need this.....anything to make booting up star ocean 2 and tales of rebirth easier on vita.

Top Bottom