• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita "hacked," (PSP) homebrew on the way (not piracy)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure why you'd need a PSP since the PSP is unblockable isn't it? That last "firmware update" didn't really stop anything did it?

You probably have to do something with the exploit game in CFW for it to work, which would be why you could use a PSP or an already hacked Vita.

Ran rp

Is there a reason I should be interested in this if I already have 3.18 TN-V10 on my Vita for PSP games?

You might be able to update to the latest Vita firmware and either keep your TN install in tack or easily reinstall it without waiting for another exploit.

spons

Gold Member
Alright, so a kexploit is here for 3.36, I'm still on it that firmware. Now, as I understand it, it needs a game to run when it's released (rather soon, judging from the twitter accounts of people involved) but 3.50 is enforced. How am I going to buy and download a game to my Vita on an older firmware? Unless it's FF X HD which is the only thing installed right now, but given that chances of that...

Edit:
Figured it out. Tutorial is on Wololo.

spons

Gold Member
Welp, it's going to be ninja'd on the Wololo forums. As far as I understand, you need a game and a second device (hacked PSP/Vita). FW can be 3.36 or 3.50, but for the latter on every restart you need to rehack the thing, although sleep/resume can partly circumvent this.

Shiina

Seems like kind of a pain in the ass on 3.50 and considering that you need to buy that game for it you will also have to update to 3.50 to download it in the first place. Pretty disappointed.

Oh maybe I won't have to. Still unsure about the whole thing.

spons

Gold Member
Seems like kind of a pain in the ass on 3.50 and considering that you need to buy that game for it you will also have to update to 3.50 to download it in the first place. Pretty disappointed.

Oh maybe I won't have to. Still unsure about the whole thing.

No, you can still download games on 3.36, two methods: either use a proxy or use the queue trick via the website. Can't vouch for either of them but they're confirmed by others to work.

Yeah, I thought homebrew was cool last gen on PSP....I was wrong.

Most of it never went anywhere, and the second emulators came, people stopped caring about the indie games anyway, until pirating PSP games put the final nail in the homebrew scene's creative coffin.

Now that we have PSN and tons of awesome games on there, I don't want any of this again.

spons

Gold Member
Something interesting, if not a little bit scary. Japanese developer/hacker 173210 has found a way to make new bubbles in FW 3.50 and not only are they "unpatchable", but also:

Bubbles are only for homebrews! I can create bubbles for retail games, but I won't give them because it's illegal.

Also:

Please keep in mind that these bubbles will be only for booting homebrew. Even though it is possible to boot retail games by this method, only homebrew bubbles will be shared as it would be illegal to distribute retail games.

I wonder what the scope of "retail" games are. PS Vita games? Can somebody with more knowhow explain this to me? Or is this still all PSP mode stuff?

linkboy

I left my PSP in the States when I came to Korea, figuring I wouldn't need it again (have it to my son).

Upgraded my vita for suikoden 2.

Its currently on 3.36 and I don't plan on upgrading it, but I'm going to have to sit this exploit out, unless someone makes it work without the second device.

Ourobolus

Banned
The full release of the 3.36/3.50 exploit is here! I did it last night and can confirm it works.
http://wololo.net/2015/04/09/release-epsp-exploit-for-vita-firmware-3-363-50/

Transfer the save in the "PSP" folder to your hacked PSP/Vita/PSTV,
so if you're using Pool Hall Pro then the save is inside "PSP/PHP_US", otherwise "PSP/WOP_EU".

Transfer the save in the "Vita" folder to your "unhacked" Vita/PSTV,
for each region there's one provided for 3.36 and 3.50.

Inside the plugin folder you'll find a plugin for Pool Hall Pro and World of Pool.
Transfer the plugin to your hacked PSP/Vita/PSTV.

If you are using a PSP or TN-V on the hacked Vita/PSTV then make a file called ms0:/seplugins/game.txt,
place this inside it,

for Pool Hall Pro:
ms0:/seplugins/php_adhoc_exploit.prx 1

for World of Pool:
ms0:/seplugins/wop_adhoc_exploit.prx 1

Make sure the the plugin is at the path pointed to in game.txt.

If you are using ARK then make a file called PLUGINS.TXT inside the ARK save folder.
place this inside it,

for Pool Hall Pro:
game,ms0:/seplugins/php_adhoc_exploit.prx,1

for World of Pool:
game,ms0:/seplugins/wop_adhoc_exploit.prx,1

Make sure that the plugin is at the path pointed to in PLUGINS.TXT.

Once you have everything done as stated above, launch the game on both the hacked and unhacked devices.
On the hacked PSP/Vita/PSTV, start multiplayer with "Create Game".
On the unhacked Vita/PSTV, start multiplayer with "Join Game".

It should take a few seconds for the exploit to work,
if it doesn't work then make sure you have Wi-Fi enabled and flight mode disabled on the Vita/PSTV,
you do NOT need to be connected to an access point for it to work.

If you do not want to use the provided menu (Pro Shell), then you can replace it with another menu by switching out EBOOT.PBP.

Also, Cowboom has used PS TVs for $49.99 today.

Can anyone help me out now? I can get the exploit to run, but I have no idea how to make it so that I don't have to use the PSPGo each time (I have 3.36, so I should be able to). I see tutorials for custom bubbles and the like but they don't seem to help since the UI for the exploit is different than what I've seen and I can't seem to figure it out.

I have a psp 1000 running cfw. Is there any way I can rip my UMD library and play it on PSTV? I'd love to play them on the big screen finally.

awp69

I'd love to see a hack to remove the "white list" from the PSTV, although I'd imagine that probably isn't a huge desire of those involved with the hacks.

There just seems like quite a few games that I suspect would work on the PSTV that we aren't given a chance to try.

I'd love to see a hack to remove the "white list" from the PSTV, although I'd imagine that probably isn't a huge desire of those involved with the hacks.

There just seems like quite a few games that I suspect would work on the PSTV that we aren't given a chance to try.

Along with that I'd also be stoked if there was a way to enable DS4 use as a controller for the Vita portable so that you can use this setup for more comfortable use of the Vita rather than only for local streaming purposes.

maxresdefault.jpg

Darknight

I think if they ever crack the native side of the Vita, it may be possible. Just recently there is an early work on "swapping" PSN accounts on FW 1.80 on the same card. While its not what we would like (more than 1 account on the system at any time), its nice because you can say swap to another PSN account without a reformat to your MC. So you can do the trick and play your other content but limited to that account's games/apps with a restore.

Okay I just noticed I'm a bit late to the party but since the exploit for Pool Hall Pro is quite unusual, can I still do this? I have a PSP 2000 with Prometheus installed and I would like to update my Vita so I can use 60fps Remote Play :D

EDIT: Okay the game was pulled, I guess just because it's potentially harder or impossible to fix that doesn't stop Sony from pulling the games :p

linkboy

Okay I just noticed I'm a bit late to the party but since the exploit for Pool Hall Pro is quite unusual, can I still do this? I have a PSP 2000 with Prometheus installed and I would like to update my Vita so I can use 60fps Remote Play :D

EDIT: Okay the game was pulled, I guess just because it's potentially harder or impossible to fix that doesn't stop Sony from pulling the games :p

Ape Escape: On the Loose is a game that you can exploit and I believe it's still up on PSN. I'm in the process of trying to move my PSP games over to it.

Ourobolus

Banned
i think i am gonna buy PS vita
but,,all the version can be hacked ?
what the latest version that can be hacked ?

The latest versions are 3.36 and 3.50 for the new hack. I'm not sure if Pool Hall Pro is still on the store though.

The difference is that with 3.36 you can make a bubble so that you don't need a PSP to do the hack every time, whereas with 3.50 you need to have the PSP to "hack" the Vita each time you want to use homebrew.

OmegaDL50

The latest versions are 3.36 and 3.50 for the new hack. I'm not sure if Pool Hall Pro is still on the store though.

The difference is that with 3.36 you can make a bubble so that you don't need a PSP to do the hack every time, whereas with 3.50 you need to have the PSP to "hack" the Vita each time you want to use homebrew.

With the Ape Escape: On the Loose exploit, a secondary device is no longer required even on 3.50. for either the Vita or PSTV from what I've read over at Wololo.

Of course custom bubbles still aren't available on 3.50........yet. (I say yet because of the rumored Japanese hack that claims he got bubbles on 3.50 to work, so it's only a matter of time)

I am relatively new to this Vita hacking thing. I've been debating about it for weeks if I wanted to take the risk but after the Star Ocean 5 announcement, I decided to bite the bullet and try it.

With that said, as far as I know this is the only possible way to play Star Ocean 1 and 2 PSP from UMDs you own that you personally rip yourselves.

However the negative is that this can be used on games you don't even own. I'm generally against piracy, however I am not against being able to play a game you own on Platform A and making it possible to play on Platform B.

L.O.R.D

wait...you need a PSP to hack the vita ?
never had any sony portable device before
if i bought a new vita , and the frameware is 2.0 for example , how to upgrade to 3.36 ?

Baliis

wait...you need a PSP to hack the vita ?
never had any sony portable device before
if i bought a new vita , and the frameware is 2.0 for example , how to upgrade to 3.36 ?

That specific exploit involves using the multiplayer mode, so you need a second device to make it work.

Dunkley

I want to play my UMD rips on the Playstation TV (namely Lunar and Star Ocean 2). If I buy Ape Escape, will it still work the next firmware or would I have to buy another game to continue playing my backups if I did it this way?

Also given I bought a lot of PSP and PS1 classics through PSN, is this anything like the PS3 CFW where I could get banned using that method or bubbles? I really don't want to lose my purchases.

I want to play my UMD rips on the Playstation TV (namely Lunar and Star Ocean 2). If I buy Ape Escape, will it still work the next firmware or would I have to buy another game to continue playing my backups if I did it this way?

Also given I bought a lot of PSP and PS1 classics through PSN, is this anything like the PS3 CFW where I could get banned using that method or bubbles? I really don't want to lose my purchases.

Sony pretty much always closes whatever hole an exploit uses once its public. It usually happens within 1 or 2 updates (depends on how close to completion the next update was at the time) , so if you're planning to update FW you're likely to have to have to keep tracking for new exploits. Unless the Vita FW itself (rather than the PSP emulator) gets hacked, the chances of an update immune exploit is pretty much 0.

It would be hard (though not impossible) for Sony to implement bans based on this (they'd have to basically run a File System check and report it over the network whenever you logged onto it) because the hack applies to the PSP mode and is temporary, so its only present when you play one of these games in PSP mode and go online within that game.

muteki

This will be funny if this actually makes the vita sales come back from the dead.

Anyone buying new today would be taking a gamble, as Sony has closed up every viable method.

I managed to pick up ape escape but haven't tried anything with it yet.

Anyone buying new today would be taking a gamble, as Sony has closed up every viable method.

I managed to pick up ape escape but haven't tried anything with it yet.

It usually takes quite a while for shipments to catch up since the lead time in manufacture is pretty large. I had a reasonably easy time getting a pre 4.5 3DS XL sometime after 6.2 was the standard (went to a big general purpose store in a mall with a dedicated game store and they were still stocking launch editions).

linkboy

so , can you tell me what i need to make the exploit without second device ?

You need to buy Ape Escape - On the Loose. It's only on the US market though.

However, if you're not on 3.50, you'll need a PS3 to transfer the game to your Vita as Sony has patched up ways to download from PSN with lower firmwares.

L.O.R.D

You need to buy Ape Escape - On the Loose. It's only on the US market though.

However, if you're not on 3.50, you'll need a PS3 to transfer the game to your Vita as Sony has patched up ways to download from PSN with lower firmwares.

ok . in order to do this exploit , i need to download Ape Escape from the PSN , i think i already have it from the PS3
i need to download it again as a bubble then transfer to the PS vita ?
then how to manually update the vita to 3.36 ? is there a way just like the PS3 with file you put it in a flash or something ?

stryke

Some background news on the native vita hacking front. Final Fantasy X HD is the first game to have its savefile decrypted. It's the first step to having exploits that happening similarly with the PSP titles at the moment. However, the hacker still hasn't figured out a way to re-encrypt the save file.

fatty

Hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction. I currently have a PS Vita on 3.01 with the 101-in-1 Megamix exploit. What is the best firmware to be on right now, or is there any reason really to upgrade?

I'd like an easy way to play rips of my PSP and PS One games and be able to transfer them easily (last I remember it wasn't that easy), preferably drag and drop like I did with my PSP.

Main thing is to also be able to play my PSN (and PSN+) games on the machine without being required to update the firmware.

I'm going to do some digging but if anyone has any advice or can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction. I currently have a PS Vita on 3.01 with the 101-in-1 Megamix exploit. What is the best firmware to be on right now, or is there any reason really to upgrade?
3.18/3.20 (for PS TV) are the firmwares with the most exploits. AFAIK, there's no way to bypass the firmware requirements for running certain games at the moment (the Vita/PS TV whitelist hack might be able to do it, but I doubt it).

L.O.R.D

can i manually update the vita from "UPDATE" folder using the PSVUPDAT.PUP file just like the PS3 ?
i want to be ready so i am searching for the 3.36 update and i can't find it

ksdixon

Just want to double-check my hacking options...

PSTV Firmware 3.36
PSVita1000 Firmware 3.50

Both are set-up with a UK PSN account, attempting to format either device wants me to deactivate the PSVita/PSTV (says it can't be done afterwards, such as on the website), and also wants me to Update System Firmware as part of the formatting process, so I NOPE'd the hell out of there, because I don't want to update either device's firmware any futher than they already are.

From what I've read already, it seems my options may be somewhat limited?

PSVita 1000 - OFW 3.50 - http://hackinformer.com/PlayStationGuide/PSV/RESULT_VITA_350.html

Seems like I may be out of luck. "World of Pool (EU)" is unavailable to buy in the EU PStore; my Vita is set-up with a UK account, and formatting (to set-up with my USA account in order to buy "Ape Escape") apparently wants to upgrade the firmware.

PSTV - OFW 3.36 - http://hackinformer.com/PlayStationGuide/PSV/RESULT_VITA_336.html

Whilst it looks like I could enable PSP Homebrew for old console emulators, I already have a hacked PSP to do that on. I'm more interested in if I am theoretically able to use the "Proof Of Concept: Running unplayable vita games on PSTV" by mr. gas shown, if it gets released publically:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g8XSopnPbo

Overall I'm a bit puzzelled. Sony seem intent on snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. PSVita/PSTV should be a lot more desireable than they are, but each seem to be weighted-down by poor design decisions. In my opinion SONY should release a PSVita 3000 SKU with:

- Ability to support multiple user accounts, not just one account per hardware.
- L2/R2 shoulder buttons, clickable L3/R3 sticks for 1:1 PS4 Remote Play input.
- Output to HDTV (like PSTV).
- Wireless Bluetooth pairing with DS4 controller.

animax

Sony seem intent on snatching defeat from the jaws of victory

A beautiful summary!

Your hacking options will be tricky-ish. First of all, avoid the Pool Hall exploit even if you could get it. It's hassle, and isn't fool-proof (doesn't always trigger). There will always be another exploit game so the best option is to wait (there have already been additional kernel exploits leaked, just no public game to trigger them with yet).

But even if you get the next exploit game (on your most up-to-date device), you may not be able to transfer it to your lower firmware device, certainly not through CMA/QCMA/OpenCMA. You could possibly transfer it using a PS3, or using the webstore-queuing method, depending on whether or not sony releases a new firmware update in the meantime.

In general, it makes most sense to keep one device up-to-date and one device in an older/exploited state, so I would choose one. Otherwise you'll soon end up with two paper-weights.

Holding the psTV on 3.36 for the POC is very tempting, though I half suspect they'll eventually figure out a way to open the whitelist on higher firmwares (up to 3.50) too

Joqu

can i manually update the vita from "UPDATE" folder using the PSVUPDAT.PUP file just like the PS3 ?
i want to be ready so i am searching for the 3.36 update and i can't find it

You should be able to, yeah. I've done it in the past. I don't have the time to look for the file you need right now but basically Sony removes old ones from their website after a while but there should still be backups floating around, you just gotta give it a search. Might take you a while before you find the right one though.

Top Bottom