• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita "hacked," (PSP) homebrew on the way (not piracy)

Darknight

Not sure why... isn't the mobile apps sandboxed in the PSP emulator?

I read on the comments rumor is Yufi hacker dude has some native VHBL for Vita (unreleased) and might be based on some PSM hack. So this Yufi hacker is telling people to do so before cut off date. Im gonna say and listen to him if you arent on 3.18 or lower. Seems like he knows what he's talking about.

Not sure why... isn't the mobile apps sandboxed in the PSP emulator?
The mobile apps are probably supposed to run natively in the Vita OS for better efficiency/access to hardware features.

I'd be super happy if this exploit, in conjunction with the fact that people can decrypt Vita saves, could lead to a MicroSD card adaptor/USB flash drive support on the PS TV.

I also hope that the US Copyright Office rules in favor of a copyright exemption for jailbreaking consoles, since that could force Sony to drop their stupid "you have to be on the latest firmware to get access to the store" BS that creates demand for piracy on the Vita/PS TV.

I have been buying Vita, PSP and PS1 classics very cheap on flash sales for when I get my Vita but screw that. If this thing gets hacked good with Nintendo emulators I'm going to go for it.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Would they even charge that, when the service is going away soon?

I dunno how it works...

Last time I signed up the publisher's license was free.

Uh, ok. So any random can just apply for this and get it approved? (By random I mean me :p).

Edit: Playstation blog says they removed the $99 fee, but I'm not sure if it as temporarily or not. It's also an article from 2013, so it's a bit dated. When did you apply for yours?

Edit: The wikipedia entry seems to indicate that it is free indefinitely. I just want to make sure so Sony doesn't just charge me for $99 for applying for this.

test_account

XP-39C²
The mobile apps are probably supposed to run natively in the Vita OS for better efficiency/access to hardware features.
That would be my guess too. If not full hardware access, at least more access than what PS Mobile allows natively.

I also hope that the US Copyright Office rules in favor of a copyright exemption for jailbreaking consoles, since that could force Sony to drop their stupid "you have to be on the latest firmware to get access to the store" BS that creates demand for piracy on the Vita/PS TV.
I dont think that would change anything regarding that. Such ruling would just make it easier to deal with the legal side when it comes to hacking (as in that there could be less risk legally to hack a device). There isnt any law that says that consumers must have access to for example an online store on firmware version 1.00 forever.

Its also not really that stupid because firmware updates does several of time changes things that the developers can use. PS Vita firmware 3.50 freed up like 30% memory for example, meaning that developers can use more memory in their upcoming games. If everyone could access the store regardless of firmware, the customer service would probably have to deal with many of those cases where people who dont update the firmware buys something online and then it doesnt work. Naturally they could add a message for those items saying "firmware version X.XX required", but its much easier to just have a mandatory firmware update. Even with such a message in place, you wouldnt be able to use many of the items even if you could buy them, because you would have to update the firmware anyway to use them.

Ninjatogo

I dunno how it works...

Uh, ok. So any random can just apply for this and get it approved? (By random I mean me :p).

Edit: Playstation blog says they removed the $99 fee, but I'm not sure if it as temporarily or not. It's also an article from 2013, so it's a bit dated. When did you apply for yours?

Edit: The wikipedia entry seems to indicate that it is free indefinitely. I just want to make sure so Sony doesn't just charge me for $99 for applying for this.

It's completely free, and will remain free since it's shutting down later this year. The whole process takes less than a week. Had to do this to test out some coursework for class.

Shaneus

I haven't, but I applied Friday, when the article went up, so it's entirely possible that they've got a huge backlog, which is growing thanks to the weekend break.
I applied too. Can only hope that they don't suspend applications because of this oddly large surge. Fingers crossed.

FWIW I did it late yesterday arvo, so it hasn't quite been 24 hours yet (and it was a Sunday). Hopefully it goes through soon.

I assume once it's been approved we have to update our Vitas to get all the necessary software?

Shun

I'm on 3.35 with ARK-2. Can I switch exploits to TN-V and everything work fine?

Also how do I get my emulators to work?

Shaneus

I got the approval for that certificate (showed up as a $0 purchase in an email) but not sure whether it's worth me upgrading my Vita to get it all up and going. It's been a while since I used my Vita (it's still on 3.50 I think) so I guess there's no harm in upgrading it.

I can also confirm that registering for Playstation Mobile was free, not even credit card info was asked for. Although that might be since my paypal account is linked.

Also for someone on firmware 3.15 what would be the best option to take? As I like to use portables more for retro gaming and never bothered to update.

Ugh, got PSM and everything, but since Sony never bothered to come up with a way to connect the PS TV to a PC to enable PSM stuff, I can't use it unless I find a cheap Vita on 3.50.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It appears Sony might still be approving applications despite them obviously noticing the spike.

It's been 5 days for me, and nothing yet. Which is kind of a shame because after reading a bit, there are some other things with PSM I'd like to mess with too. Saw mention of someone making an app that could stream PC to Vita.

L.O.R.D

ok , i have ps vita slim with 3.30 update
what options do i have ?
i am new to hacking , vita is my first PSP , my main interest is PS1 loader

Call me wierd, but I have had my PSV since launch and I still prefer the PSP.

I think a lot of the PSP / PS1 games look better on the PSP screens. Also I really can't think of a PS Vita game that stands out - bear in mind I don't like FPS / TPS's.

Combine this with the emus that you can run on the PSP and I find myself playing my PSP's more.

stryke

are you sure ?
i found a homebrew site that said its possible to hack 3.30-3.36 ps vita and install CFW
but its too complicated

PS1 Loader is only available on 3.18. Unless you're willing to play with crappy or without sound, you've missed the boat.

L.O.R.D

PS1 Loader is only available on 3.18. Unless you're willing to play with crappy or without sound, you've missed the boat.

so , what left for me ? any homebrew worth it ?
my friend has a huge collection of UMD disk of PSP games , can i convert them to iso and play them on the vita ?
or its not worth it ? all PSP games on the store ?

so , what left for me ? any homebrew worth it ?
my friend has a huge collection of UMD disk of PSP games , can i convert them to iso and play them on the vita ?
or its not worth it ? all PSP games on the store ?

A lot of psp games are on the store, but a lot aren't. That said, playing copies of your friends games on your vita is most definitely piracy so you're not going to get a lot of help in that regard here...

As for homebrew? Unless you're looking for emulators, there really aren't a whole lot to speak of aside from maybe Wagic.

L.O.R.D

A lot of psp games are on the store, but a lot aren't. That said, playing copies of your friends games on your vita is most definitely piracy so you're not going to get a lot of help in that regard here...

As for homebrew? Unless you're looking for emulators, there really aren't a whole lot to speak of aside from maybe Wagic.

FF dissidia and crisis core and KH BBS in the store ?

_Ryo_

I don't think any Kingdom Hearts game has ever been released digitally on any service. Some weird contract with Disney, I think.

Prezhulio

PSTV on its way to me front that $40 GameStop deal, any idea what firmware they usually ship with?

I've got a vita that I have kept on OFW for ease of use with remote play and my ps+ catalog, but I bought the pstv on a lark being so cheap so I'd be interested in having psp homebrew (which is my understanding of what the vita CFW boils down to anyways?) and to play my ps1 games.

Can CFW vita/vitatvs still do ps4 remote play?

PSTV on its way to me front that $40 GameStop deal, any idea what firmware they usually ship with?

I've got a vita that I have kept on OFW for ease of use with remote play and my ps+ catalog, but I bought the pstv on a lark being so cheap so I'd be interested in having psp homebrew (which is my understanding of what the vita CFW boils down to anyways?) and to play my ps1 games.

PS TVs usually ship with 3.20, but that might've changed.

Yeah, but I think only aslong as they are on the latest firmware and can connect to PSN, I might be wrong here though. Speaking of CFW on the Vita is a bit wrong anyways, there is no CFW of any kind for the Vita and never was. All that has been CFW'ed is the PSP Emulator subsystem of the Vita, the Vita's own firmware always stays 100% clean and vanilla.

L.O.R.D

I don't think any Kingdom Hearts game has ever been released digitally on any service. Some weird contract with Disney, I think.

WTF Sony , square ?
4176.jpg

i am basically giving away my money because i have have too much of that
why they make some PS1 game install on a vita for some times and then remove that ?
i want to play the english patched version of digimon re-digitize , but thanks to bandai i can't do that

i guess i'll stick to my laptop for using emulators
the current version of vita is 3.51 ?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Applied for PSM on the 9th and still nothing, are they still accepting people?

Supposedly they are, but they noticed the spike in applications and said that everyone might not be approved by the deadline. That could mean they are basically saying not everyone will be approved period (could allow them to basically cut off approvals without actually saying so), or it could just mean that it could take a while for them to get through the flood of applications.

I applied on the 10th and haven't gotten anything.

Here's something that may or may not pay off eventually - a call for an open Vita SDK that might be able to interact with PSM's dev assistant app:
One of largest barrier to native PS Vita homebrew is the lack of an open toolchain and SDK. Essentially, we need something like pspsdk for the Vita. The reason why we don’t have it is because there are people who have an understanding of how the Vita’s executable format works but lack the time to code up the tools and there are people who have the time and ability to create such tools but lack the knowledge of Vita’s internals. The solution, I believe is to publish a comprehensive document detailing how the Vita’s executable format is laid out and the requirements for an open toolchain. Anyone with coding skills can now work on an open SDK; no Vita knowledge required!
P.S (in an unrelated subject): Did you get a PSM license? If not, don’t fret, we got you covered. Just make sure you have the developer assistant installed on your Vita.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Working on getting the dev assistant onto my PSTV. Have two PSPs and now a Vita + PSTV so it's complaining about activations. Don't use my UMD PSP for anything other than ripping games to put on my Go, so deactivating that isn't a big deal. Have to update it though, and the battery was totally dead so it wants to charge before it updates...

Curious to see what comes of all this, if anything.

AmanoBuff

Call me wierd, but I have had my PSV since launch and I still prefer the PSP.

I think a lot of the PSP / PS1 games look better on the PSP screens. Also I really can't think of a PS Vita game that stands out - bear in mind I don't like FPS / TPS's.

Combine this with the emus that you can run on the PSP and I find myself playing my PSP's more.

There are a lot of games on the Vita that are not shooters. It all depends on what you like. If JRPGs are your thing, this is one of the best systems to own. I recommend you check with the Vita community in the PSN thread. It's a great community and everyone is extremely helpful. They can help you find games you might enjoy.

As for the second part of your post, all the emus you can run on a PSP, you can also run on a Vita with CFW, and they all look better imo thanks to the better screen (OLED Vita owner here).

Edit: and you also can map the second stick to the camera in some PSP games, which is fantastic.

are you sure ?
i found a homebrew site that said its possible to hack 3.30-3.36 ps vita and install CFW
but its too complicated

This tech site has some neat tutorials on Vita hacking. That might help.

FF dissidia and crisis core and KH BBS in the store ?

CC and any KH game have never been released digitally this side of the pond due to licensing issues. Some Disney-related stuff in the case of KH and the ending theme song in the case of CC.

That's great. A lot of people is still waiting for their PSM publisher license approval, but thankfully it is no longer necessary.

So I'm on 3.36, I do have a homebrewed PSP, what are my options (EU)?

I only want to be able to play BBS on my Vita so I can retire my PSP permanently.

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
Sorry if this has already been asked. Got a PSTV; if I hack it, what are the repercussions to my account? Can I purchase software from PSN? Play online?

animax

Sorry if this has already been asked. Got a PSTV; if I hack it, what are the repercussions to my account? Can I purchase software from PSN? Play online?

There have been no widespread account bans on vita/TV if that's what you're wondering. The repercussions are that you (likely) won't be on the latest firmware and thus won't be able to download new games, won't be able to play online/multiplayer, won't be able to register trophies and before long won't be able to play new physical games if their firmware requirements surpass the firmware you're stuck on.

This is all assuming that people don't figure out a way around this (they haven't as of yet, and may never)

read the OP, check when it was done and then you will realize that PSM and developer thing is just a waste of your own time

what?

from OP :

Sure, running PSP homebrews on Vita is fun, and VHBL is a very nice piece of work, but it’s about time we move on, isn’t it? Developer yifanlu started a new project called Usermode Vita Loader (UVLoader), it will be a homebrew loader for the PSV, basically.

Not PSP homebrews, but native PSV code, isn’t it awesome?

This project is based on a PSV exploit he found (there are no details about this for now, for obvious reasons), but it’s still in its early stages. Just a few lines of code have been written so far (you can find the code on his github), so, back to the title, developers are needed.

If you’re a developer and you want to help, fork the project on github or get in touch with yifanlu on /talk or on IRC (#vitadev on EFnet). If you’re not a developer, there’s nothing for you…yet. But it’s still an awesome news, isn’t it?

And please, avoid asking useless questions: there’s no release date yet and it doesn’t work for now, just be patient for now and let the developers do their job.

Yifan Lu will eventually post updates about this project on his blog or on twitter, so make sure to follow him.

September 2012

1 month ago Yifan Lu suggested to get PSM license cause "good thing will be come soon", then after a few weeks he stated PSM was not necessary, you just need the application, then last week he asked help to find a way to find a hack

May 2015

so I think the PSM thing is just a waste of time, from someone who claimed 3 years ago to have found a native hack for Vita to install VHBL

why they don't admit Vita is very hard to hack and Sony did the right thing ? I prefer someone who admits his defeat instead of claiming for something which unlikely will happen
they said "keep 3.18", then the focused on bubbles, on latest Vita firmware, but always for PSP hack, not a native one; everytime a new hack comes someone asks "should I keep my 3.18 ?" and replies are so vague

and please don't answer "why don't you make your hack" (I mean in general, not you ;) ), cause I'm not a hacker, but I would like to hear so sincere statement from them "no, we can't hack Vita, sorry"; that would be much more appreciated

PS : I don't care for piracy, I just would like a homebrew which can use Vita hw power making it the definitive handheld system (PSP is great, but the lack of the second stick and old hw specs are becoming a little problem)

PPS : I buy original games, if you don't trust me check the official PSP topic, latest games I bought were Bleach Soul Carnival, Kamen Raider All Star Generations, Phantasy Star Portable 2 and Infinity

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So you're basically saying Yifan Lu hasn't done anything but is trying to convince people that he has? I don't really see what the benefit of that would be.

It's more likely the stuff from 3 years ago is exactly as advertised - "very early," "just a few lines of code." It makes sense that they wouldn't totally release something that is so extremely early only for it to get patched and killed off. Keep it private, keep working, dig deeper, maybe find something bigger.

The stuff for 3.18 was entirely different, that was for the webkit exploit. I haven't seen an update on that since the mention of it's existence, wouldn't be surprised if replies were vague because nobody has any idea what's going on with it.

Skyzard

Banned
So you're basically saying Yifan Lu hasn't done anything but is trying to convince people that he has? I don't really see what the benefit of that would be.

It's more likely the stuff from 3 years ago is exactly as advertised - "very early," "just a few lines of code." It makes sense that they wouldn't totally release something that is so extremely early only for it to get patched and killed off. Keep it private, keep working, dig deeper, maybe find something bigger.

The stuff for 3.18 was entirely different, that was for the webkit exploit. I haven't seen an update on that since the mention of it's existence, wouldn't be surprised if replies were vague because nobody has any idea what's going on with it.

I have no idea about the legitimacy, but about the question why/where's the benefit... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXLgz3wH2n8 ;)

But let's see, wish it wasn't PSM.

Not only that, but the scene has had a lot of drama in the past few months, between Total Noob's TN-V that would erase stuff from people's memory cards, people leaking exploits all over the place, the fact that Sony has sued people over creating CFW/exploits for PS3, the lack of coordination between hackers, etc...

There's plenty of reasons to stay quiet on the exploit front.

AmanoBuff

from OP :

September 2012

1 month ago Yifan Lu suggested to get PSM license cause "good thing will be come soon", then after a few weeks he stated PSM was not necessary, you just need the application, then last week he asked help to find a way to find a hack

May 2015

so I think the PSM thing is just a waste of time, from someone who claimed 3 years ago to have found a native hack for Vita to install VHBL

why they don't admit Vita is very hard to hack and Sony did the right thing ? I prefer someone who admits his defeat instead of claiming for something which unlikely will happen
they said "keep 3.18", then the focused on bubbles, on latest Vita firmware, but always for PSP hack, not a native one; everytime a new hack comes someone asks "should I keep my 3.18 ?" and replies are so vague

and please don't answer "why don't you make your hack" (I mean in general, not you ;) ), cause I'm not a hacker, but I would like to hear so sincere statement from them "no, we can't hack Vita, sorry"; that would be much more appreciated

PS : I don't care for piracy, I just would like a homebrew which can use Vita hw power making it the definitive handheld system (PSP is great, but the lack of the second stick and old hw specs are becoming a little problem)

PPS : I buy original games, if you don't trust me check the official PSP topic, latest games I bought were Bleach Soul Carnival, Kamen Raider All Star Generations, Phantasy Star Portable 2 and Infinity

As far as I know, Yifan Lu never contradicted himself, backtracked or did anything for Vita users to doubt him.

On May 8, He suggested people should apply for a PSM Publishing license and then use the PSM Vita app to run a demo game.

On May 23, on a blog post on his site, he said that the publishing license is no longer needed, that all people need is to have the PSM Dev app installed and running on their Vitas. He seems to have found a workaround for those who never got their license during those days, as he mentioned in his Twitter.

The scene might not have made any breakthrough progress on the Vita yet, but they have delivered smaller hacks and exploits consistently, and now Yifan Lu seems to have found the 'next level' of Vita hacking. Perhaps it is not native, I don't know, but even if it only uses PSM, it's still a HUGE step forward, since PSM has access to much more resources on the Vita than the PSP emulator, which will open the door for far more powerful homebrew. This alone makes me very happy, since better/different homebrew is something that I always wanted to do on the Vita, along with all the great games I have on it of course.

This is a long race, I say just have patience and make the most of any new development. We'll see what Yifan Lu has been cooking in a few days, and I certainly don't want to be left out of the party when that happens.

animax

September 2012
May 2015

Man, it's not like the guy was working on it every day for 2 and a half years and failing every day. He put it on hold for a long time hoping that someone else (with more time) would step up to the plate with regards to native vita hacking. But nobody did, they were too busy cat-fighting over psp exploits. Now that the PSM dev licence is set to expire after May 2015 I guess it seemed like to best time to at least release something.

the scene has had a lot of drama in the past few months, between Total Noob's TN-V that would erase stuff from people's memory cards,

To be fair, that targeted ONE single person - lets not blow it out of proportion even if it was backhanded

Top Bottom