• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita Hardware/OS/Firmware Updates Tips, Tricks, and Discussion

Takuan

No the dev kits have the TV-out the reason for not adding it remain the costs and with the way it's selling sony have to be penny pinching to gain profits.

And let's be realistic... people won't exactly be trampling over one another to buy one just because of TV-out, so why even bother? I'm still scratching my head as to why the lack of TV-out is a deal-breaker for some people.

This might be old but it looks like the Youtube site works in the browser, sort of. The YouTube link now takes you to the YouTube app.
Youtube links on Twitter take you to the browser and from there you select the video which starts in the Youtube app. It's one extra step but at least it's woking now.

I guess I talk about my issues here...

So, my Vita browser has been acting kind of wonky lately. It has worked since day one, but today I think it has crapped out on me. When I try to go to any site, the blue bar loads just a little bit, and then it stops. I cleaned out cookies and stuff, relaunched the browser, didn't work. I then decided to rebuild the database, restore the vita, and format the memory card. After all that it still does the same. Then, I decided to update the firmware via the repair menu, and even after that the browser still doesn't work right. What do you think GAF? Am I screwed? It sucks if so, because I love using my Vita's browser while I'm playing games to check PS3trophies for tips.

Oh, and the YouTube app doesn't work right anymore either. My internet is fine, and so is my router. I can get onto the Playstation Store, and browse around fine. I can even download stuff from the store. Though, the only thing I downloaded today was the Sound Shapes demo, and that spit out an error when I tried to install it. I don't know if that is related, or what. Anyways, if no one can help me out, then I guess I'll have to call Sony up and see what they can do. If this is non-fixable, I'm just going to have to get another Vita one day. :/

Skyzard

Banned
I guess I talk about my issues here...

So, my Vita browser has been acting kind of wonky lately. It has worked since day one, but today I think it has crapped out on me. When I try to go to any site, the blue bar loads just a little bit, and then it stops. I cleaned out cookies and stuff, relaunched the browser, didn't work. I then decided to rebuild the database, restore the vita, and format the memory card. After all that it still does the same. Then, I decided to update the firmware via the repair menu, and even after that the browser still doesn't work right. What do you think GAF? Am I screwed? It sucks if so, because I love using my Vita's browser while I'm playing games to check PS3trophies for tips.

Oh, and the YouTube app doesn't work right anymore either. My internet is fine, and so is my router. I can get onto the Playstation Store, and browse around fine. I can even download stuff from the store. Though, the only thing I downloaded today was the Sound Shapes demo, and that spit out an error when I tried to install it. I don't know if that is related, or what. Anyways, if no one can help me out, then I guess I'll have to call Sony up and see what they can do. If this is non-fixable, I'm just going to have to get another Vita one day. :/

Hmm, sorry not sure..

1. Memory card space left? - i know you formatted but did you just restore it with a backup before you tried it?
2. Tried going closer to your router?
3. Make sure no proxy stuff in settings (for netflix or whatever..)

I think it would be more likely the memory card has busted somehow :S as opposed to the vita tbh (especially if it isn't network related)..might have to call sony if you can't test or resolve it though..

Hmm, sorry not sure..

1. Memory card space left? - i know you formatted but did you just restore it with a backup before you tried it?
2. Tried going closer to your router?
3. Make sure no proxy stuff in settings (for netflix or whatever..)

I think it would be more likely the memory card has busted somehow :S as opposed to the vita tbh (especially if it isn't network related)..might have to call sony if you can't test or resolve it though..
Thanks for your response. It is very much appreciated. :)

After I restored and formatted, I immediately checked the browser to see if it wasn't loading pages/loading pages all the way. It was still acting up, and that was without everything that I backed up on my Vita. I went closer to my router as well, and it still gave me issues. I don't think there are any proxy kind of things on my Vita, since I never enabled such a thing and I never had Netflix on it either. So, it's quite possibly the memory card huh? I'll look into that. I was thinking it was the wifi antenna, but I'd be much happier if it is just a memory card issue.

Skyzard

Banned
Thanks for your response. It is very much appreciated. :)

After I restored and formatted, I immediately checked the browser to see if it wasn't loading pages/loading pages all the way. It was still acting up, and that was without everything that I backed up on my Vita. I went closer to my router as well, and it still gave me issues. I don't think there are any proxy kind of things on my Vita, since I never enabled such a thing and I never had Netflix on it either. So, it's quite possibly the memory card huh? I'll look into that. I was thinking it was the wifi antenna, but I'd be much happier if it is just a memory card issue.

Ah I see, sorry I can't help - I remember some similar issues and it turned out to be the card but I wouldn't go out and buy one or anything - I'd call Sony to be honest. Hope you get it fixed soon, very strange though.

If all the other games are working fine..and you can make save files - you are probably right about the antenna I'd think.. best of luck

Ran rp

I upgraded to Windows 8 and now I can't wireless connect to CMA anymore. I press Add Device > Yes > OK > but the app just keeps looping my back to Add Device. It can't seem to see my Vita anymore. Wired connection still works but this sucks :/

So I just arrived freshly on 2.02 and updated CMA to excitingly try out the Wi-Fi transferring though it's not working for me aswell. I see my PCs name on the Vita and CMA is set to transfer data wireless though whenever I touch my PC on the Vita I immediately get "The Network connection has been terminated" :/

I'm on Windows 7 if that matters and it asked to get through my Windows Firewall which I allowed.

And now that I transferred something over USB once the Wi-Fi method hangs for about 10 seconds at "Please wait..." before showing "The Network connection has been terminated" again, oh well :(

My square button randomly stopped working 3 days ago, i didnt drop the vita or anything, midway through playing daxter it just stopped working, problem remained no matter what game i tested. I tried a bunch of stuff to fix it and nothing was helping, then i read that sometimes the triggers can screw up and that makes other buttons not work.. So just now i mashed the triggers really hard and suddenly the square buttons works again.

However now i'm living in fear that a button will randomly stop working again, should i just send it back before the warranty expires in a few months?

Takuan

Any pointers for setting up a smooth remote play experience? I was experimenting with Tokyo Jungle and SotC last night, and while it was smooth 90% of the time, there were a few instances (particularly in TJ) where gameplay was either slowed down or stopped entirely for a few seconds.

I was using that option that isn't "Connect via the Internet" - I can't remember how it's worded - because I figured it'd offer the smoothest experience.

I was slightly let down by the IQ in remote play, but it's not bad so much as it is average. I don't know how to describe it other than by saying it's evident that the image is being streamed to the device rather than being displayed natively. It's still a nice feature that I'd like to see incorporated in more games.

Any pointers for setting up a smooth remote play experience? I was experimenting with Tokyo Jungle and SotC last night, and while it was smooth 90% of the time, there were a few instances (particularly in TJ) where gameplay was either slowed down or stopped entirely for a few seconds.

I was using that option that isn't "Connect via the Internet" - I can't remember how it's worded - because I figured it'd offer the smoothest experience.

I was slightly let down by the IQ in remote play, but it's not bad so much as it is average. I don't know how to describe it other than by saying it's evident that the image is being streamed to the device rather than being displayed natively. It's still a nice feature that I'd like to see incorporated in more games.
I think you're expecting too much. You can play around with the compromise between IQ and responsiveness in the settings but that's about it. Your expectations sound like they could only be achieved with a Wii U.

Takuan

I think you're expecting too much. You can play around with the compromise between IQ and responsiveness in the settings but that's about it. Your expectations sound like they could only be achieved with a Wii U.

So it's not possible for a 100% smooth performance during remote play, regardless of the connection method? It's acceptable as it is, I'm just wondering if there's an optimal method is all.

It's pretty consistent for me using the local PS3 connection, I blame any hitches on moving the Vita around making it lose signal quality.

Reclaimer

Maybe someone here knows the answer:

I have a bunch of digital games. I played and created saves for them.

I bought physical carts recently.

Can I move my save from my digital game to my physical one?

EDIT: it works now! Did a forced reset (power button for 30 seconds, choose reset menu option). Now when I put a cart in the vita asks of I want to delete the digital download and use the saves with the cart.

Maybe someone here knows the answer:

I have a bunch of digital games. I played and created saves for them.

I bought physical carts recently.

Can I move my save from my digital game to my physical one?

EDIT: it works now! Did a forced reset (power button for 30 seconds, choose reset menu option). Now when I put a cart in the vita asks of I want to delete the digital download and use the saves with the cart.

:O didn't know about that one. That's great.

Myshkin

Have the Hori grips. Helpful, but not perfect. Might try another. The PDP trigger grips look like they have a thin strip on the bottom. Is it possible to have the PDP grips on and still seat the Vita in the charging cradle?

Zenaku

Not sure if I shoud post this here, but my nephew has dropped his PS Vita in water. What can be done here in the UK to get it fixed?

Massa

Not sure if I shoud post this here, but my nephew has dropped his PS Vita in water. What can be done here in the UK to get it fixed?

Leave it a in bag of rice for a few days. If that doesn't work you should probably contact Sony.

Zenaku

Leave it a in bag of rice for a few days. If that doesn't work you should probably contact Sony.

He's already tried turning it on, and it was a few weeks ago; still doesn't turn on, nor does the light come on when charging.

I was just wondering what options there were, since he's willing to pay to get it fixed. Would Sony fix water damage with a fee? Refurbishment, maybe? He only got it for christmas.

Number45

I'd give them a call/drop them a mail. It can't hurt, and I assume you'd get some kind of warranty if it gets repaired.

Can anybody help me my cousin gave me his broke vita and I want to send it in and get it fixed. I sent sony a email with the serial number and stuff and the problems with it but I sent it to a email that recently I cant log into. Its locked or something. I have the service follow up number or whatever and I will send them a email back with it so I can get the reply in a working email. The vita wont turn on even when on the charger, the logo glows but wont turn on. The charger is now broke I can buy a new one right? And just recently I found the oled screen looks punctured its not on so I can really see how much but I can tell. Anyways do any of you know this process, how long, price??? It was bought on day 1 not sure if that'll help. Help me I want to play P4G :(

Can anybody help me my cousin gave me his broke vita and I want to send it in and get it fixed. I sent sony a email with the serial number and stuff and the problems with it but I sent it to a email that recently I cant log into. Its locked or something. I have the service follow up number or whatever and I will send them a email back with it so I can get the reply in a working email. The vita wont turn on even when on the charger, the logo glows but wont turn on. The charger is now broke I can buy a new one right? And just recently I found the oled screen looks punctured its not on so I can really see how much but I can tell. Anyways do any of you know this process, how long, price??? It was bought on day 1 not sure if that'll help. Help me I want to play P4G :(

It really would be easier to talk with sony support.

But considering you have screen to replace + possible internal dmg + new charger to buy i'd try to sell broken one on ebay for few euros and buy second hand vita since they are quite cheap.

I apologize for bumping such a old topic but I just experienced some interesting behavior with my Vita that I want to share and I'm not sure if this would warrant a new topic :/

Basically one of the biggest complaints of Vita users that switch accounts is the loss of bubble placements and wallpapers upon resetting and restoring the Vita and while this is indeed true it looks like the Vita actually can recall the settings from a backup if it only wants o.o

Well I will give a rundown on what happened when I wanted to move from my 4GB card to a 8GB card.

1: I made a backup of my 4GB card to my PC and afterwards removed the 4GB card while the Vita was running. Not knowing this was a bad idea the Vita said this shouldn't be done and restarted itself.

2: After I restarted everything was fine and I inserted the 8GB card which didn't trigger the usual "Must format" message (the 8GB card was bound to another PSN account) so I figured I would just run the format manually though upon selecting format memory card my Vita froze.

3: I restarted it again and this time it triggered the format message and went successfully through with it.

4: Now I wanted to restore the backup from my PC though at about 1% in the Vita literally choked on itself with message windows saying "Error: The database is corrupt [some error number I didn't memorize]" This appeared over and over for about 20 seconds till the Vita froze and shut itself off.

5: Starting it again everything was fine though I was logged out of PSN and my wallpapers and bubble placements were lost and set back to default.

6: At this point I gave it one more restart which still showed the default settings and when I tried to restore the backup yet again, this time it successfully went through.

7: After restarting when the restore was finished I was literally a bit stumped because my wallpapers and my bubbles and page setup returned like magic o.o

I know this doesn't change anything as this was most likely just the result from a chain of weird events though I figured some people might find this interesting for curiosities sake and it shows that backing up the Vita actually seems to store literally everything including wallpapers and all other settings though for some reason that data usually gets ignored during a normal restore... Oh well hopefully Sony will fix that someday so account switchers and people who regularly change between memory cards have atleast a bit convenience :p

Link1110

If I get a wifi plus 3G model, can i not use the 3G on it and have it work fine? Obviously there's no price difference

Top Bottom