• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita Heaven 2 Electric Bugaloo 2/18 - Zero new games, massive price drop, Vita RIP

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Let's see what we saw;

Monster Hunter Online
Monster Hunter Musou
Monster Hunter Inafune
Monster Hunter with 7 players
Monster Hunter with Robots
Monster Hunter 2D
Monster Hunter Falcom RPG
HD Classics of the first Monster Hunter Game starring Yuna from the FINAL FANTASY® series

Do you guys frequent the same joke store?

TDLink

So I guess no games was why the 3DS started out so slowly, and why it all of a sudden turned around when the price was slashed, despite a the good content still being a ways out, huh?

No, if Nintendo had simply cut the price of the 3DS and not delivered software along with it the system would not have picked up steam again. It was the release of Ocarina of Time 3D shortly before the cut plus the releases of Starfox 64 3D, Mario 3D Land, and Mario Kart 7 shortly after it couple with the price cut that really turned the system around.

The price cut is only half of the equation and Vita doesn't have the other half.

DiscoJer

Which they have. This is a rather strong push towards Japanese consumers.

How is a bunch of trailers from games already announced a great showing?

The price drop sure, but if it's anything like in the US, the Vita has been on discount for that price for months now. I got my Vita for $190 on clearance at Target.

People in Japan already know what's scheduled to come out - they need to be reassured that there are more games than they already know about.

Though it was nice to know that Dragon's Crown and FFX weren't canceled...

rouken

wow, just wow at your reactions. :)

why are you even defending this event is beyond me.

1. don't tell us that this vita heaven was planned just yesterday, because they are teasing for this event since last summer. i for one, thought that they may be gathering all planned games for the system to reveal with gameplay but that's not what happened here.

2. some people are bashing the past nintendo directs for just showing announced games. they are even shitting on people for being so hyped about it and throws down directs for being uneventful. :/

3. props to sony for dropping the price, but i think its too late. and without announcing a game that will lure the buyers like the 3ds did with its price drop with mario kart, monster hunter and mario 3d land. and don't tell me that those games shown today are console sellers, there's already japanese centered games already released for the system like miku, but it didn't make a dent like they're expecting to.

4. great work on that vita games list, but let me point out that those games maybe appealing to you but not on the general buying public. that's what matters now, that's why there's a VITA RIP on the thread title. you're happy with that list because that are games coming to YOUR vita. who isn't happy that there's games for their console? but what sony wants is for OTHER people to buy the damn console and without appealing games, those weekly/monthly charts will not good for vita.

It does NOT work like that.19.980 yen means 199$ and 199€.

So you're saying the price went up? Vita has been 187 euro for months here....

lol@ this thread btw, 50 dollar price cut and people still aren't happy.

Remember before the vita reveal guys? '500 dollars LOL' 'there is NO way it'll cost under 400 dollars'
Remember that?

Now you piss and moan when it costs 200...

raven777

Yea considering that the conference was with such short notice, it wasn't THAT bad.

I am disappointed with no new game announcement, but what they showed seem pretty good.

I was happy to see Dragon's Crown and FFXHD, even though they didn't show much.

The lack of JRPG, except Sen no Kiseki and FFX HD, is only disappointing for me.

Hopefully there are bigger unannounced title in development and we will hear about them in the future.

Mael

So I guess no games was why the 3DS started out so slowly, and why it all of a sudden turned around when the price was slashed, despite a the good content still being a ways out, huh?

Huh, the price drop was near the release of OoT3D and StarFox3D, the following holiday came Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart.
The price cut helped but really the software picked up the slack pretty quickly.

No matter the quality of the content a consumer will only spend so much on a gaming device. This is the reality of all non-essential/entertainment products. The most compelling software in the world can't make consumers have more money to give you.

True but the lack of content will make people not even consider your offering at whatever price you're offering.
That's the lesson of the GC at 99$.

No, I said that it would be no longer worth Sony's money making dedicated handheld units. Nintendo never came into the equation.

there isn't any point of pushing more money behind it or any other dedicated handled again, sure.
Your word.
Your phrase didn't name the competition but strongly implied it.
If you explicitly said
there isn't any point for Sony to push more money behind it or any other dedicated handled again, sure.

So consumers didn't want 3D and software is all that is needed, yet Nintendo's fortunes turned around quite noticeably when they cut the price. Still 3D. Similar software library pre and post-cut. Yet weekly sales were massively improved. See, that's what I call "correlation".

The software library is so different pre and post cut it's not even funny.
Seriously look it up, software release pre price cut didn't get to sell better because 3DS was suddenly selling.
Seriously no one was interested in Steel Diver and that didn't change with the price cut.
Also 3D or not it still plays DS games and they ARE appealing.

Pretty much, sure. If it doesn't significantly improve at retail in the next year or so it'll be an incredibly niche platform with a short life.

We'll see, I'm not putting my money on a bet here I've seen stranger things happening.

PaulLFC

don't tell us that this vita heaven was planned just yesterday, because they are teasing for this event since last summer. i for one, thought that they may be gathering all planned games for the system to reveal with gameplay but that's not what happened here.
It may not have been "planned yesterday" but the final date and time of the event was revealed yesterday, with no chance of hype or build up because it was so short notice. Expectations for the event should have been set accordingly once it was known that the time between confirmation and the event taking place was so short.

Maybe announcements are being saved for Feb 20.

And nice price cut! I hope Sony does the same in the US, though they don't have games to back it up.

rouken

It may not have been "planned yesterday" but the final date and time of the event was revealed yesterday, with no chance of hype or build up because it was so short notice. Expectations for the event should have been set accordingly once it was known that the time between confirmation and the event taking place was so short.

i guess people assumed that sony was gonna "bring it", because that vita heaven event was a long time coming. and with an announcement like that, most would assume that they're going for the nintendo direct approach of "bam here's an event where we announce a bunch of new cool games". we can't blame people for comparing it to nintendo directs and being hype with the event themselves.

Erethian

It's almost as if this video was geared towards informing the people that are buying a Vita after the price drop.

In a scenario where the Vita doesn't have a dearth of notable new game announcements, with notable being defined as games that can push hardware sales, focusing on the upcoming lineup wouldn't be as much of an issue.

Also a number of the games shown didn't have a specific release date beyond 2013. Which shows that there was scope to include new game announcements, and leads to the conclusion that major software support isn't coming.

DBT85

I really don't think a price drops gonna cut it in Europe: http://www.amazon.de/dp/B009LL5BU8/

The price cut will also be to retailers, so they will pass it on.

I'd be very surprised if we don't hear about a price cut on Wednesday along with one for the PS3.

That interesting...I dont see why it makes sense to sell the 3G and Wifi only model at the same price? Are they planning on phasing the Wifi only model out?

It's either to phase one of them out, or to just try and generate interest in the 3G model.

Nope. It's a 50 buck price drop for the barebones Wifi model. It's a 100 buck price drop for both the 3G model and the 3G bundle with a 32gig card.

Thats interesting...I dont see why it makes sense to sell the 3G and Wifi only model at the same price? Are they planning on phasing the Wifi only model out?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Which they have. This is a rather strong push towards Japanese consumers.

They announced PSO2 and a couple of minor games at the previous vita heaven.
They announced a price drop at this vita heaven. With no new games.

Let's see what we saw;

Monster Hunter Online
Monster Hunter Musou
Monster Hunter Inafune
Monster Hunter 2D
HD Classics of the first Monster Hunter Game starring Yuna from the FINAL FANTASY® series
OMFG fhmbguif5u8jde6uf5ikj :lol

mr_toa

Ahh well, guess little thing helps?

Seems Sony is angling for momentum to be generated from the price cut like: (1) slightly increased customer uptake -> (2) slightly increased 3. party interest -> (3) repeat (1).

Seems a bit on the "too little, too late" side in my, albeit narrow, perspective.

nib95

Banned
i guess people assumed that sony was gonna "bring it", because that vita heaven event was a long time coming. and with an announcement like that, most would assume that they're going for the nintendo direct approach of "bam here's an event where we announce a bunch of new cool games". we can't blame people for comparing it to nintendo directs and being hype with the event themselves.

What are you talking about? Most people didn't know about this event till yesterday or the day before, including Kagari who's usually very clued up on these things. Looking at the list of games, plus the substantial price drop, coupled with it being a sudden out of the blue event, I can't see how anyone wouldn't be somewhat pleased with the outcome unless their expectations were unrealistic.

Anyway, I'm sure more announcements will follow. Some that are less Japan centric.

They should have had a new game to go along with the cut.

Hopefully when the price drop hits the west they have a big game to announce that also gets peoples attention. Maybe we will hear about it at the meeting.

BasilZero

Only good thing from the showing was the price cut, FFXHD and DC being alive.

No new announcements...hopefully we'll get some in the future lol.

Mael

What are you talking about? Most people didn't know about this event till yesterday or the day before, including Kagari who's very clued up on these things. Looking at the list of games, plus the substantial price drop, coupled with it being a sudden out of the blue event, I can't see how anyone wouldn't be pleased with the outcome unless their expectations were unrealistic.

Sony is not operating in a vaccum.
Nintendo does this regularly and in people's opinion, they do it unexpectedly and bring new games to the party.
Seriously look up the thread coming up for the latest ND and you'll see people weren't expecting ANYTHING at all (other were expecting unrealistic stuffs too).
It wasn't unrealistic to expect a new game.

Mario007

What are you talking about? Most people didn't know about this event till yesterday or the day before, including Kagari who's usually very clued up on these things. Looking at the list of games, plus the substantial price drop, coupled with it being a sudden out of the blue event, I can't see how anyone wouldn't be somewhat pleased with the outcome unless their expectations were unrealistic.

Anyway, I'm sure more announcements will follow. Some that are less Japan centric.

Yeah this is done so that they can capitalise on the big software releases that are coming in the next few weeks. We'll see if it works.

rouken

when i said its a long time coming, i'm talking about this..
Vita Heaven 2 Tease - June 2012

after reading that, i thought they were going to "bring it".

i guess that's why they didn't give a timeframe on when are they gonna do it, but from that statement, people would assume they were ready to announce something substantial. ready as in they had the confidence to announce new and cool games at an event they are going to do 8 hours later.

Mael

i'm talking about this..

i guess that's why they didn't give a timeframe on when are they gonna do it, but from that statement, people would assume they were ready to announce something substantial. ready as in they had the confidence to announce the event they are going to do 8 hours later.

"The next Game Heaven event will be an actual event that you'll want to tune into from start to finish, and not just the sudden release of information like the first Game Heaven. Outside of just new information, Sony will partner up with companies to share development secrets and get deep into the heart of games -- things that users would want."

Looooooooooool

Sipowicz

Banned
what baffles me is that the Vita was ever considered alive in the first place

the PSP was one of the greatest systems of all time and got so much grief, the vita is one of the worst and gets a free pass.

i said it earlier but almost the entire library of vita games consists of three things

-multiplatform games
-crap versions of ps3 games, normally made by "handheld developers"
-cheap knockoffs of exclusives from other systems (monster hunter being the biggest offender here)

squall23

That's a respectable list and raises the question again as to why the console isn't selling as it should. I think personally marketing is a HUGE issue. It's almost non existent.

Can I ask what the price drop will be in the EU/US?
Because none of those games have wide market appeal, which means they don't sell a crapton, which means those games will never have wide market appeal, etc.

This isn't about game quality, this is about how many people actually want the games.

Wow I almost stayed up for this glad I didn't. Seriously just when you think things couldn't get worse for the Vita Sony flies in and goes "not so fast!" And shows they have even less then we thought.

Cheebo

Banned
Why do people think Sony would be able to have a lot of surprise titles? They can't really force third parties to make games for Vita.

LayLa

Why do people think Sony would be able to have a lot of surprise titles? They can't really force third parties to make games for Vita.

They also seem to have trouble persuading 1st party studios to make games for Vita.
The price drop & cluster of releases in March should produce a nice bump in Japanese sales, from June onwards though things begin to look pretty barren again

Defuser

They can offer to fund but noooooooooo they rather give $40 million to market Black ops declassified scam.

QaaQer

People complaining about a Japanese feed telling Japanese people about a price cut for vita in Japan and some games made for the Japanese market, in Japanese with no subtitles no less. What did people expect?

Price drop should gave happened sooner. If this doesn't help vita then there's no hopes for third party support. The event didn't help. Now the 2oth should just tell us the pricee of vita and that's it

LayLa

People complaining about a Japanese feed telling Japanese people about a price cut for vita in Japan and some games made for the Japanese market, in Japanese with no subtitles no less. What did people expect?

When should we expect a Western feed telling Western people about a price cut for vita in the West and some games made for the Western market then?

Nerazar

When should we expect a Western feed telling Western people about a price cut for vita in the West and some games made for the Western market then?

20th. Minus the Western market games, except maybe KillZone and another UnCharted Sequel.

Massa

when i said its a long time coming, i'm talking about this..

after reading that, i thought they were going to "bring it".

i guess that's why they didn't give a timeframe on when are they gonna do it, but from that statement, people would assume they were ready to announce something substantial. ready as in they had the confidence to announce new and cool games at an event they are going to do 8 hours later.

This was not called Game Heaven.

Other than E3 and Gamescom Sony doesn't do internet video conferences in the West. Expect price cuts and other announcements on the Playstation Blog or via press releases instead.

what baffles me is that the Vita was ever considered alive in the first place

the PSP was one of the greatest systems of all time and got so much grief, the vita is one of the worst and gets a free pass.

i said it earlier but almost the entire library of vita games consists of three things

-multiplatform games
-crap versions of ps3 games, normally made by "handheld developers"
-cheap knockoffs of exclusives from other systems (monster hunter being the biggest offender here)

What are you smoking? My Vita game collection is already WAYYY better than my PSP collection ever was. And it as only been a year. Not to mention the Vita plays PSP games too making it automatically at least as good.

Maedhros

Let's see what we saw;

Monster Hunter Online
Monster Hunter Musou
Monster Hunter Inafune
Monster Hunter 2D

Shit is getting pretty stupid!

All these similar games... when will people start to call them a fucking genre instead of a copy of Monster Hunter (and Monster Hunter is even a copy by itself).

Most likely Destination Playstation on the 25th. It's a retailer conference but they usually announce stuff on the blog inconjunction with it.

Top Bottom