• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita Heaven 2 Electric Bugaloo 2/18 - Zero new games, massive price drop, Vita RIP

Kerub

Banned
Well, at least it's nice to know that FFX HD is still coming. It might push some Vita units in Japan when it's released?

kuroshiki

So... very little in the way of news occurred? I'm guessing this means the Vita won't get even a cameo mention on Wednesday, though I expected as much.

Sony at least will promote the connectivity of PS4 and Vita. They have to. Unlike PS3, PS4 has been built from ground up along with Vita.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm playing Ni No Kuni at the moment. I'm going to my wife's in London in a few days, they don't have a PS3, but they do have WiFi. If I could play my PS3 games on a Vita, using my PSN+ cloud saves, I'd buy one tomorrow.

But anecdotal evidence doesn't mean anything. Would this be a huge draw to the general public, when they can spend that money on tablets/better smartphones/new gaming consoles later this year? I think the chances are slim at best.

sajj316

So think this price drop will hit the states? If so they'd have a customer in me definitely.

Some are saying price drop on the 20th presentation. I'd set my expectations to not have this announcement ... then be surprised.

Regarding this "show", I'm glad about the price cut. It would have been nice to get one or two new games announced.

Zen

Banned
3DS proves this, even thought it has new games coming, how many are from western developers?probably zero...

The 3DS, technologically speaking, is far removed from the IOS/Android ecosystem. The Vita isn't. They very clearly care about putting content on mobile devices. The 3DS and Vita aren't proving anything.

jcm

As a wise mod once said, can something be considered designed well if its design doesn't attract an audience? Is the point of product design not to create a successful product?

That's not wisdom at all. It's just blind market worshipping combined with silly reductionism.

sajj316

Yeah but remote play is not 100% supported on PS3.
edit: oops

Meant the game will be released on the PS3 as well.

Regarding HD ports, Stranger's Wrath is a good example of the Vita port selling more. Now I can't riffle off more examples, just this recent one.

PS3 streaming could be done just as badly and expensively on a cheaper piece of hardware. Heck without the internals they coukd give the screen a boost.

PS3 streaming is hardly a long term solution neither.

nib95

Banned
But anecdotal evidence doesn't mean anything. Would this be a huge draw to the general public, when they can spend that money on tablets/better smartphones/new gaming consoles later this year? I think the chances are slim at best.

A portable PS3 over WiFi for that price I think is a big deal. No idea how the mass market would react, but given the general popularity of the PS3, I'm guessing quite well.

Sony at least will promote the connectivity of PS4 and Vita. They have to. Unlike PS3, PS4 has been built from ground up along with Vita.

How do you know that though? Given Sony's current lack of gravitas concerning the Vita, I'm not sure why they'd build their home console around it. Unless, that is, they were trying to emulate the Wii U, but not sure why they would.

That's not to say the Vita won't have connectivity with the PS4, Remote Play and the like is guaranteed.

Liamario

Banned
What if PS4 is just a cloud gaming service. There will be a box, but it's very basic.

Will this usher in the apocalypse?

At least make sure that you deliver it to an "evoirment station" (not sure what the english word is). I dont think that electronic devices like that, especially stuff with Lithium Ion batteries, should be thrown directly in the garbage.

Just for educational purposes, the environment station that you're referring to is most commonly known as a "recycling center" in the U.S. Even a lot of retail stores, such as Best Buy or Wal-Mart, will often times accept old electronics for proper disposal. Some cities offer recycling pick-up at your house once a week (just like they'd do trash/garbage pick-up) and you can often times discard old electronics using that door-to-door recycling method.

On-topic: I hope this price drop helps, but I'm afraid it won't do much besides bump up sales for a few weeks and then they'll fall back down close to previous levels.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
A portable PS3 over WiFi for that price I think is a big deal. No idea how the mass market would react, but given the general popularity of the PS3, I'm guessing quite well.

I guess we'll agree to disagree.

Plus, the idea that Sony is going to magically give all PS3 games for free is something I'll believe when I see it.

kuroshiki

How do you know that though? Given Sony's current lack of gravitas concerning the Vita, I'm not sure why they'd build their home console around it. Unless, that is, they were trying to emulate the Wii U, but not sure why they would.

That's not to say the Vita won't have connectivity with the PS4, Remote Play and the like is guaranteed.

Vita plan and PS4 plan supposed to be made within SCEI internally within same time frame. Unless Sony had 2 completely separate team without any connection whatsoever (which I highly doubt given that Sony's internal hardware team doesn't have that much manpower these days) Vita and PS4 are both made by the same team.

XOMTOR

PS4 is all that can save Vita now. I really hope they focused on full integration with remote play and gaikai.

I can't see that PS4 is going to save Vita but I can see the appeal of Gaikai streaming for some, myself included. Gotta wonder though how long the Vita's battery would last constantly streaming a WiFi signal back and forth to Gaikai servers. Doesn't Vita already shut off the WiFi signal every chance it gets to conserve battery power?

nib95

Banned

Plus, the idea that Sony is going to magically give all PS3 games for free is something I'll believe when I see it.

Not for free. For the price of the game. I suppose they could always charge a subscription fee too, a la PSN Plus Pro or something.

Zen

Banned
PS3 streaming could be done just as badly and expensively on a cheaper piece of hardware. Heck without the internals they coukd give the screen a boost.

PS3 streaming is hardly a long term solution neither.

Games are all pretty much going to be Day1 digital on the upcoming consoles and you'd only need your own Orbis/PS3 to render the content.

They aren't. The costs wouldn't support that kind of thing at all. Maybe some freebies for PS+ but people expecting the PS4 and especially Vita to have free PS3 games galore are out of their minds.

JudgeN

Maybe its just me but had they announced some new games, would they really had any affect? I mean Nintendo has MH, DQ, SE, Altus, and etc so what new game would have really helped the Vita anyway? I feel like the Vita been a zombie for a while now and nothing short of monster hunter can bring this thing back from the dead.

Good to see Dragon Crown still alive though.

Drek

outside of the price drop, all these games are already announced.....

Your point?

Announcing new games that come out in a year won't sell systems this month. Sony can't wait another year or two to sell Vitas.

They've got two noteworthy titles hitting the Vita in the next couple of weeks. One is an established IP with a big new iteration coming on only Vita and PC. The other is a new IP exclusive to the unit that Sony has been hyping quite a bit. Both are from a genre that is strong within the Japanese market. Sony capitalizing on the close release of these two by slashing the price, bundling these games with new system colors at said reduced price, and effectively trying to re-launch PS+ in Japan is the "big news" here.

People complain that Sony isn't doing anything to sell the system. For Japan this is doing a lot to try and sell the system. Coupled with a strong marketing push should result in at least a month long hardware sales spike in Japan. At that point they can start making a much stronger argument to Japanese 3rd parties and begin hyping what's next for the system.

Zen

Banned
People are conflating wholesale Gakai cloud gaming tech with what is already possible using only the PS3. If you already owned the game on PS3 they wouldn't be giving it away for free.

I can't see that PS4 is going to save Vita but I can see the appeal of Gaikai streaming for some, myself included. Gotta wonder though how long the Vita's battery would last constantly streaming a WiFi signal back and forth to Gaikai servers. Doesn't Vita already shut off the WiFi signal every chance it gets to conserve battery power?

More than when it's quad core cpu and gpu are loaded to the max ;)

Ponn

Banned
Glad i fell asleep now. So about what i expected, Sony still has no clue how to sell or support the Vita. A price drop is a good start but that cannot be all you got. Biggest game you showed ws an HD PS2 port, someone at Sony really needs to read that and think on what that means. They need a consistent, strong cohesive library. They have no new games to show because their are none, they fucked up like they did with psp only this time the third parties didnt have games already in production to just finish and ship. Sony just doesnt get it yet, if they want to save Vita they need to step up their own studios or start moneyhatting third parties, thats it. Holding an event and then showing nothing new just makes people feel worse about your product, regardless of price cut.

Elios83

I think the event did a really good job with the price cut announcement, showing a lot of footage from upcoming games and making clear that a few games like FFX and Dragon's Crown are far from canceled. Yeah it sucks for no new games announced but it doesn't mean that the event was not good. They also need to focus and promote the stuff that it is actually coming soon, they used this event to tell people "Here are the games being released soon, now you can buy one at a lower price". Marketing wise, it's well conceived.

XOMTOR

Not for free. For the price of the game. I suppose they could always charge a subscription fee too, a la PSN Plus Pro or something.

How would that work successfully when the majority of PS3 owners have their collection on physical disk? I could perhaps see your PSN purchased being made available via GaiKai but there's no way Sony would allow you to have access to your physical games, thus diminishing its value significantly. It'd likely be a similar situation as Vita's backward compatibility with PSP games, and we all know how great that is for UMD owners.

jcm

Seems to me arguing otherwise is being "blind" to reality.

Sure. So all adventure games are designed badly, because they don't sell millions of copies. And the Toyota Camry is the best designed car in the world, because it sells the most units in the US. If that's your reality then I'm glad I'm blind to it.

sense

when you have all these games coming out in the space of 30 days(albeit not huge system sellers) sony probably figured to put them in the limelight and do a price cut as well to increase sales. next month when they are all released they can then announce the next wave of software.

btw did they name this vita game heaven 2? this seemed more like an info dump. the last game heaven had new announcement so me thinks the next one will be called vita heaven 2 and have a lead up time.

nib95

Banned
How would that work successfully when the majority of PS3 owners have their collection on physical disk? I could perhaps see your PSN purchased being made available via GaiKai but there's no way Sony would allow you to have access to your physical games, thus diminishing its value significantly. It'd likely be a similar situation as Vita's backward compatibility with PSP games, and we all know how great that is for UMD owners.

Current assumptions are either that you'd have to re buy the games digitally off PSN, or that the PS3 could validate the purchase off the disc. Supposedly all PS3 games have some sort of stamp imprinted that can be read to verify it. Not sure this is plausible mind. But there are different options on the cards.

If such a system was implemented, I might consider selling some of my physical copies in place of digital, but I'm hoping there's some way around it.

Vita RIP? I'd say no,but it's a tough environment.

The Japanese handheld market enjoyed amazing growth between the years 2005 to 2007.Since then,all signs point to a sharp decline in sales.Not even Nintendo is immune

-NDS sold 8.3 million units of hardware + 38 million units of software in 2006

-3DS sold 5.5 million units of hardware + 17 million units of software in 2012

It's hard to sustain two handhelds in a shrinking market,especially if the second platform loses Monster Hunter at a time when japanese companies are showing an alarming decline in their ability to create hit titles.However after hitting certain price points,handhelds do not need a strong support to move hardware units early in the cycle, as evidenced by the PSP until March 2008.

It's a tough environment,but the Vita is solvable.The price cut was the right decision.The next step is to sell 1 million units in 2013.

Vita RIP? I'd say no,but it's a tough enviroment.

The Japanese handheld market enjoyed amazing growth between the years 2005 to 2007.Since then,all signs point to a sharp decline in sales.Not even Nintendo is immune

It's hard to sustain two handhelds in a shrinking market,especially if the second platform loses Monster Hunter at a time when japanese companies are showing an alarming decline in their ability to create hit titles.However after hitting certain price points,handhelds does not need a strong support to move hardware units early in the cycle, as evidenced by the PSP until March 2008.

It's a tough environment,but the Vita is solvable.The price cut was the right decision.The next step is to sell 1 million units in 2013.

Aiming for the stars.

Drek

I want PS2 classics on Vita. :(

This is the real failing of the Vita's design if you ask me.

It should have been a contemporary update of the PS2's hardware with the additional memory etc. included, where the system uses the extra horsepower and memory to upscale and run post-processing IQ/AA over the top a la PCSX2. This would have given it full PS1 and PS2 compatibility out of the box, and easily handled PSP via emulation like it currently does.

At that point they could flood PSN with PS2 re-releases that would cost 3rd parties nothing, and Sony could dangle reduced royalties on those re-releases in exchange for new software commitments.

Simultaneously they should then have pursued the "indie" games scene for portable exclusives like Minecraft, Binding of Isaac, Terraria, etc..

Then on the first party front they could transition their established PS2 era IPs into permanent, exclusive fixtures of their portable line (Jak, Sly, Medieval, etc.). This would entice traditional Sony fans and make a clear distinction between their handheld and console lines.

End result would have likely been a cheaper system manufactured entirely in-house with an instant-library of classics and a long term road map of noteworthy exclusives.

But for some reason Sony still believes that people care about "console on the go" gaming. People just want good games on the go that have more depth than Angry Birds.

Top Bottom