• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita Heaven 2 Electric Bugaloo 2/18 - Zero new games, massive price drop, Vita RIP

luca1980

Banned
it's over...as nintendo hardly can sustain 3ds and wii u the same can be said imho on vita and ps4. sony will focus on ps4, third party will focus on ps4 and vita support will slowly drop.
in japan it's crystal clear for the rest of the world it's a matter of time...

strange sony didn't really drop a game bomp...i expected it in a year of bad news on vita..

Unless on 20 they show ps4 and hidden surprises on vita it's really over for this handeld...

Defuser

zsazhI1.jpg

I'm not even going to give it away.

Amir0x is that you?

I just don't get it. They had NOTHING new to show?? I know, I know it was a stream that came out of nowhere so expectations should have been set low but. . .

Still they needed something, if nothing new is shown at the 20th or the 25th then Sony is pretty much letting the Vita die, in terms of gathering first and third party support. They should have made more of their first parties make smaller splinter teams like Media Molecule is doing with Tearaway. Cambridge was just put to Killzone so~

test_account

XP-39C²
I did expect to see maybe 1-2 new games being announced, but other than that it was what i expected, a big focus on the upcoming spring lineup. I didnt expect to see a pricedrop, so that was a nice surprise (doesnt matter much for me personally because i already own a Vita, but still). The best surprise for me was to get confirmation that Dragon's Crown is still in developement :)

test_account

XP-39C²
http://i.imgur.com/zsazhI1.jpg

I'm not even going to give it away.
At least make sure that you deliver it to an "evoirment station" (not sure what the english word is). I dont think that electronic devices like that, especially stuff with Lithium Ion batteries, should be thrown directly in the garbage.

Sorry Sony, nothing will ever replace MH.
Sony only has Soul Sacrifice, and even that is noticeably different than Monster Hunter. The other two games are 3rd party games, and they might have success. The hunting genre can be popular :)

It wasn't called Vita Heaven 2.

It was never mentioned by Sony new games would be announced.

They focused on a price cut and immediate future games to generate interest in buying now for those games.

Then made sure everyone knows Dragon's Crown and FFX HD are not cancelled by showing new footage.

I am sorry but if you expected more out of taping that was released on the same day it was announced you were only setting yourself up for disappointment. I will eat crow if nothing else is announced for the Vita ever, but I just don't see that happening. For starters we know the Gravity Rush team is working on a game, most likely a sequel, and Bend has said they are working on another Vita game. More games will come, just because they didn't announce them today doesn't mean they are never coming.

Any word on the price drop coming stateside?

I need to get one of these things for Ys, even though I'm not so sure about what it's going to do for me after that. :-\

RoKKeR

PS4 is all that can save Vita now. I really hope they focused on full integration with remote play and gaikai.
This is what I'm leaning towards as well. Because the Vita came so late in the PS3's life, I wouldn't be surprised if the PS4 had more connectivity features with the Vita. Whether it being the controller or game streaming, (please, PLEASE this) I think it will be used in a clever way.

I hope.

nib95

Banned
There is something huge that could save Vita, that is that Gakai PS3 streaming also works on the Vita, with PSN+ cross platform cloud saves and updates (play your same PS3 games on the move with Vita, using exactly the same save as where you left off). It would essentially make the Vita a portable PS3. They've done cross play already, no reason they can't extend it to PS3 BC game streaming.

Would make the Vita order of magnitude more desirable over night, provided the service worked well.

Salaadin

So I guess this thing didnt turn out the way we all wanted but it wasnt really terrible either. I just wish we got some new stuff to look at and talk about :(

Still holding out hope that theres something to see regarding the Vita on Wednesday but I get the feeling thats going to be all PS4.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
There is something huge that could save Vita, that is that Gakai PS3 streaming also works on the Vita, with PSN+ cross platform cloud saves and updates (play your same PS3 games on the move with Vita, using exactly the same save as where you left off). It would essentially make the Vita a portable PS3. They've done cross play already, no reason they can't extend it to PS3 BC game streaming.

Would make the Vita order of magnitude more desirable over night, provided the service worked well.

I will still say that it won't "save" Vita.

Zen

Banned

I really don't understand why this isn't something that Sony didn't already implement across the board. Hopefully they have their shit straightened out and every Orbis title will also be streamable to Vita day 1, and presumably to Sony devices like tablets, also having controller support.

PS4 compatibility would be a major boon for the Vita.

Tobor

Let's not get carried away. It would be a very cool feature, and I'd love to have it, but it wouldn't be a system seller.

Emitan

What does the OP mean about FFX HD "still being a thing". Was it simply mentioned or was it discussed in some fashion?

EDIT: Oh, I'm sorry. There is a thread on it.

nib95

Banned
I will still say that it won't "save" Vita.

Potentially every single PS3 game for the price of a Vita? It absolutely would. Also, the Playstation brand would have huge added value. Buy The Last of Us on PS3 and basically get it for the Vita too.

Not a smaller bite size out sourced version of the game, but the real deal. Same with every single one of Sonys tent pole games, maybe even third party titles too like GTA V. It'd be huge.

Let's not get carried away. It would be a very cool feature, and I'd love to have it, but it wouldn't be a system seller.

There's also the matter that wifi is not nearly as widespread in many American cities and that 3G would be miserable for streaming games. The problem with "saving Vita" is that there is a fundamental lack of interest in the market itself which everyone seems to overlook. People don't want the device because they don't see it fitting in with their lifestyles anymore so the dedicated handheld market is quickly eroding/dying. The 3DS is doing mediocre/bad with much bigger games and a much cheaper price. Unless you mean Japan, which I guess anything possible then.

DasMarcos

Banned
Potentially every single PS3 game for the price of a Vita? It absolutely would. Also, the Playstation brand would have huge added value. Buy The Last of Us on PS3 and basically get it for the Vita too.

Not a smaller bite size out sourced version of the game, but the real deal. Same with every single one of Sonys tent pole games, maybe even third party titles to like GTA V. It'd be huge.

Still not sure how "huge" it'd be considering the Vita has gimped controls in comparison to the PS3. You just can't compare a console experience to playing on a handheld.

Floex

But would it? So let's say it works over Wi-fi, cool, you can play it in your house if the TV is occupied.... otherwise it's just a gimmick. You wouldn't be able to use it on commutes, atleast I doubt many places outside of Japan. You say they have done cross-play already, it was hardly a success and not a lot of games used it.

zroid

Banned
What's so sad is that the Vita is the best designed portable hardware we've ever seen.

As a wise mod once said, can something be considered designed well if its design doesn't attract an audience? Is the point of product design not to create a successful product?

nib95

Banned
Still not sure how "huge" it'd be considering the Vita has gimped controls in comparison to the PS3. You just can't compare a console experience to playing on a handheld.

If they can get some of these games running on mobile platforms on touch screens, I'm sure they can work it out for the Vita. As I said before, there ready are several cross play games that work fine.

But would it? So let's say it works over Wi-fi, cool, you can play it in your house if the TV is occupied.... otherwise it's just a gimmick. You wouldn't be able to use it on commutes, atleast I doubt many places outside of Japan. You say they have done cross-play already, it was hardly a success and not a lot of games used it.

Any where in the house, at friends, cafes, hotels, certain stations and trains, parts of the city etc etc. It's certainly not a gimmick.

Jamix012

Nah I fully expect the Vita to be the PS4 controller at this point, got to make their money back on it somehow

Sunk costs and such mean that this makes little business sense as making people buy a Vita as a controller would be costly and not making them would mean no game would utilise their cross features.

kuroshiki

Well, let's not get hyperbole guys. As much as I would have liked to see new games, this one was basically their way of announcing price drop.

But instead of just saying 'oh from today on there will be 20% permanent price drop', they did show some updates on games that has been announced.

This event was never hyped and it doesn't even have a name. At yet, this was better than that horrible game heaven #1.

I think SCEJ is trying to make Vita relevant. Let's see if they can push even further.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Not a smaller bite size out sourced version of the game, but the real deal. Same with every single one of Sonys tent pole games, maybe even third party titles too like GTA V. It'd be huge.

It still won't. Why not just buy the PS3 and get the added Blu-Ray functionality?

Look, I love my Vita. It's a powerful handheld. It just has no appeal. Adding streaming PS3 games isn't going to change that much.

Agent X

Sony on Wednesday: No new Vita games you say? What about...every PS3 and PS4 game playable on Vita with updated remote play!

internets: zomgggggggg

After seeing the articles about the concept of PS3 games being streamed to the PS4, it would be logical for them to extend this type of game streaming to other hardware as well. If they can pull off something like this, then it could make the Vita much more desirable, especially for people who travel a lot.

I also think a price drop for other regions could be announced at Wednesday's event.

nib95

Banned
It still won't. Why not just buy the PS3 and get the added Blu-Ray functionality?

Look, I love my Vita. It's a powerful handheld. It just has no appeal. Adding streaming PS3 games isn't going to change that much.

I'm playing Ni No Kuni at the moment. I'm going to my wife's in London in a few days, they don't have a PS3, but they do have WiFi. If I could play my PS3 games on a Vita, using my PSN+ cloud saves, I'd buy one tomorrow.

No way you could stream ps3 games over 3G. Would need wifi. Which negates the whole, "great for traveling" thing

Not just travelling, just any where not in the room your PS3 is. Friends, relatives, cafes, events, work, station, hotel etc etc.

Tobor

It would be huge on GAF, that's for sure. I just don't see how it will translate to the mainstream.

You're also making big assumptions about the business model for this streaming service and we don't know the details yet.

Zen

Banned
Let's see how well the Price drop/new bundle/colors/PSO combo does. I wonder if PSO2 won't be that much of a thing due to already being F2P on PC.

It would be huge on GAF, that's for sure. I just don't see how it will translate to the mainstream.

You're also making big assumptions about the business model for this streaming service and we don't know the details yet.

Well this is something they've been able to do since the PSP days with the PS3, Sony just never mandated the remote play feature (a huge mistake imo).

EDIT: Lair used it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mASdFCTNA7I

Maedhros

It wasn't called Vita Heaven 2.

It was never mentioned by Sony new games would be announced.

They focused on a price cut and immediate future games to generate interest in buying now for those games.

Then made sure everyone knows Dragon's Crown and FFX HD are not cancelled by showing new footage.

I am sorry but if you expected more out of taping that was released on the same day it was announced you were only setting yourself up for disappointment. I will eat crow if nothing else is announced for the Vita ever, but I just don't see that happening. For starters we know the Gravity Rush team is working on a game, most likely a sequel, and Bend has said they are working on another Vita game. More games will come, just because they didn't announce them today doesn't mean they are never coming.

People are on a cycle here in Neogaf.
It doesn't matter if they announce a price drop, if they announce new games, if they announce price drop of the memory cards, people here will always find something to complain about Vita.

It's been like this since launch.

Tobor

Well this is something they've been able to do since the PSP days with the PS3, Sony just never mandated the remote play feature (a huge mistake imo).

Technically, yes. I'm not certain yet about the business model. What will it cost? Are games we already own included? How about licensing? That sort of stuff.

Maxrunner

They sure as shit care about Android/IOS. Sony's failrue was in not convincing them that the Vita is a natural extension of that ecosystem.

3DS proves this, even thought it has new games coming, how many are from western developers?probably zero...

Top Bottom