• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | July 2013 | Slow Month, Fast Games

winjet81

Sony is not going to let the vita die, it will pickup... it will have a good showing at gamescom... wait and see

People have been waiting for a good showing at any of the major shows (E3, Gamescom, TGS) since E3 2011.

What I don't get is that people are justifying the PS4 focus by saying it's a new console and needs all the push it can get... well, then that's fine; but then when is the Vita focus going to happen since it didn't come at Gamescom 2011, TGS 2011, E3 2012, Gamescom 2012, TGS 2012, and E3 2013. Even the Vita Heaven event in 2012 was abandoned in Japan and pushed to 2013 largely to announce a F2P game and a price drop.

But, yeah... 'wait and see'...

welp! bought P4G - not sure when I'll get around to playing it, but I couldn't pass up the sale knowing that i'll eventually want to play.

do i really drop everything else im in the middle in to tackle this now?!

Moobabe

People have been waiting for a good showing at any of the major shows (E3, Gamescom, TGS) since E3 2011.

What I don't get is that people are justifying the PS4 focus by saying it's a new console and needs all the push it can get... well, then that's fine; but then when is the Vita focus going to happen since it didn't come at Gamescom 2011, TGS 2011, E3 2012, Gamescom 2012, TGS 2012, and E3 2013. Even the Vita Heaven event in 2012 was abandoned in Japan and pushed to 2013 largely to announce a F2P game and a price drop.

Didn't the Vita have a really good gamescom last year?

Paskil

welp! bought P4G - not sure when I'll get around to playing it, but I couldn't pass up the sale knowing that i'll eventually want to play.

You don't tackle P4G, it tackles you. I suppose it really depends how much you like RPG's, It has traditionally been one of my favorite genre's and I had never played it on PS2 the first go round. From the usual reaction (including mine), if you enjoy it, you absolutely will not regret dropping everything. Just make sure to stick it out for the first few hours. The opening wasn't an issue for me, but I have seen many complaints about the pacing of the first 3-5 hours. Once you're past that, you're...golden.

You don't tackle P4G, it tackles you. I suppose it really depends how much you like RPG's, It has traditionally been one of my favorite genre's and I had never played it on PS2 the first go round. From the usual reaction (including mine), if you enjoy it, you absolutely will not regret dropping everything. Just make sure to stick it out for the first few hours. The opening wasn't an issue for me, but I have seen many complaints about the pacing of the first 3-5 hours. Once you're past that, you're...golden.

Aye - RPGS were my first and foremost go-to genre back in the day. I really want to start, but i just know long games esp. RPGS will kill my gaming time nowadays. And with such a sweet lineup coming I don't think I want to dive in yet! we shall seeeee... maybe i'll do passively play the first few hours just to get them out of the way, that way when i'm ready to dive in i'll get hooked immediately..

Moobabe

It was just OK,only Tearaway was announced and we got to see an updated build of killzone.

Is that an OK conference or an OK overall show? Seems to me people focus a little too much on a 1 hour presentation vs a few days of game showing

Sol1dus

I waited 4 months before playing it after I bought it. Kinda of glad I did though, now that I don't have much to play its perfect.

Well it's greatest game made in Japan in last 10 or so years so you decide ;)

SmokyDave

Yeah, this is how I feel. I understand they've a new console to launch, but they should probably launch their eighteen month old handheld first.

P4G:
SO I just defeated Chie's shadow and the game is giving me some time to level up and upgrade my gear and stuff. How do I do that? Not literally, I mean how do I gain more and stuff like that? Do I just hop to the TV world and wander around?

Excuse my newbie question, I'm new to the series.

It was confusing for me me at first too, don't feel bad! The Persona games seem to do things differently than a lot of RPGs. But to answer your question, the items you get for beating enemies is what gets you new weapons and gear. Sell those items to the blacksmith, and you'll see what you get. It's dependent on what you sell, and how many of each.

Protip: hold triangle to skip the wall of text. Why skip the wall of text? Several hours in, you'll know what you had available, and can easily see what's new and better. Depending on your level if grindage, you may have a looooot to sell.

Edit: early in the game sell everything, but be picky later on. You will get quests that need items dropped by enemies. Also, on most cases, you can only get said items AFTER you accepted the quest. So you won't sell an item off before you get to it. If you don't have any item quests active, go nuts.

The opening wasn't an issue for me, but I have seen many complaints about the pacing of the first 3-5 hours. Once you're past that, you're...golden.

Heeeyoohhh!

I just picked up Sound Shapes, Guacamelee and Motorstorm RC. Can anyone attest to the quality of Jet Set Radio on Vita? I've got my eye on it.

Also, what's the PSP Gran Turismo like? Would it be worth playing on Vita? Also, can I pick up The Warriors and/or Manhunt 2 (from PSP) on Vita? Anyone know?

Yopis

Yeah, this is how I feel. I understand they've a new console to launch, but they should probably launch their eighteen month old handheld first.

That would make as much sense as having a quality Shooter, during the first holiday period. Only a year late to that grand idea so never give up on 2014.

Guess I will start Guacamelee today been looking forward to it.

Sid

Is that an OK conference or an OK overall show? Seems to me people focus a little too much on a 1 hour presentation vs a few days of game showing
It was an OK conference for the Vita and nothing more.I don't go to Gamescom so the showfloor doesn't matter much to me bar the new previews.Anyways,why should people not focus too much on a 1 hour presentation which is the damn highlight of the show?

I just picked up Sound Shapes, Guacamelee and Motorstorm RC. Can anyone attest to the quality of Jet Set Radio on Vita? I've got my eye on it.

Also, what's the PSP Gran Turismo like? Would it be worth playing on Vita? Also, can I pick up The Warriors and/or Manhunt 2 (from PSP) on Vita? Anyone know?

JSR absolutely POPS on that OLED. It looks better than I remembered. Plays just like I remember, too :| (read: somewhat stiff, floaty jumps) but that's how JSR is! All in all it's a great package. Plus the custom graffiti is tons easier on the Vita vs DC.

GT PSP works well, I still like to fire up a few races from time to time to get my sim bug squashed. I only delete it when I need moar room for a new game, but it always finds its way back to its garage on my Mem card.

Not an Arland game. I'd say we're more likely to get the Totori remake that they keep hinting at. (PS3/Vita, if it exists).

Ah you're right, it's a dusk game...

What they should do is release a Rorona Plus....OR a Rorona remake...why release ANOTHER version of Totori? >.<

Since we have Totori and we're getting Meruru, anyone think we'll see an Atelier Ayesha?
Well, we might get a remake instead of a port for the next Atelier game.

In the latest countdown video for Atelier Meruru Plus, Okamura states: “The remaining titles that haven’t been ported don’t have the content that can be finished with a Plus version. Above all else, we’d like to make an expansion for those titles that shows the reason why we saved them for last!”
That statement sounds a little vague and leaves quite a bit open to interpretation. What we think Okamura is saying is that, while Atelier Rorona won’t have a Plus version, we might see a meatier update to that game instead.
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/03/23/gust-says-there-wont-be-an-atelier-rorona-plus/

And then this recently
Previously, Okamura mentioned that there won’t be a plus version of Atelier Rorona. The other two games in the Arland trilogy got expanded ports for PlayStation Vita and were released as, Atelier Totori Plus and Atelier Meruru Plus. Okamura said that they’d like to make an expansion for it in the future that will show the reason why they saved it for last. According to the Dengeki PlayStation interview, we may be seeing a remake for Atelier Rorona before we see a completely new Atelier series.
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/07/2...and-new-dusk-series-wont-end-with-escha-logy/

Noi

Ah you're right, it's a dusk game...

What they should do is release a Rorona Plus....OR a Rorona remake...why release ANOTHER version of Totori? >.<

Err wooops, I did mean Rorona and not Totori, my bad! They've said in multiple interviews how Rorona warrants more than just a "Plus" port.

Edit: Or read what Malik posted instead~

so another rainy day another lunch playing soul sacrifice.

Beat that warewolf.
Beat that harpy dopleganger (on my second attempt)
ALMOST beat the cyclops dopleganger.... He was red damn it. RED, He did that spinning attack.... haha no prob, pop speed boost and off I go singing sonic the hedgehog theme in my head. One slip up and I got my self in a corner.... oops. Well there goes 70% of my health. No problem il just wiz out of there and finish him off.....
I hate you spiders.

Out of no where a damn web roots me a split second before I can boost away and I die.

SPIIIIDEEEEERRRRRSSSS
*Shaky fist*

So who's getting Puxeljunk Monsters today?!?!?

I just bought Stealth Inc :'C Maybe after I get Dragon's Crown.

Btw, vitagaf, what do you think of this redesigned Vita UI:
TUXeKY0.jpg

Its by Matteo Catalano, according to a user on Reddit.

Noi

He could start by using games that are actually on the system!

Was gonna say >.>

Glad to see there are some Vita Bros who like/care about the Atelier series lol

My PS3 copies of the Totori and Meruru CEs (plus Ayesha) remain sealed while my copy of Rorona calls out for me to continue my on-hold playthrough.

...My spending habits are not always the best.

what's disappointing is that from the sound of it these old indie games still sell at their crazy 15$ price tag, regardless of how much this thread shuns it. i've seen plenty of people say how great limbo is on vita and leading up to that release there wasn't a soul in this thread saying they were going to get it.

so now it's setting a standard that we are ok with that price point and should expect these games to debut at that price from now on.

He could start by using games that are actually on the system!

My PS3 copies of the Totori and Meruru CEs (plus Ayesha) remain sealed while my copy of Rorona calls out for me to continue my on-hold playthrough.

...My spending habits are not always the best.

The CEs for those games are beautiful, I got them both and promptly forgot they existed. Atelier meshes surprisingly well for pick up and play gaming.

Akira_83

Banned
what's disappointing is that from the sound of it these old indie games still sell at their crazy 15$ price tag, regardless of how much this thread shuns it. i've seen plenty of people say how great limbo is on vita and leading up to that release there wasn't a soul in this thread saying they were going to get it.

so now it's setting a standard that we are ok with that price point and should expect these games to debut at that price from now on.

i dont think any intelligent self respecting Vita owner bought Limbo for $15, i gaurantee the ones who downloaded it already had purchased the PS3 version and got the cross buy free

anyone who did is fucking disgusting, and yes are setting a horrible precedent that we will gladly pay a ton of money for mediocre artsy platformers

at that price?

not a chance
Well you ARE getting two games in one. PS3 and PSP versions are included. And the psp one is quite lengthy and comes with a random level generator.

Also I believe this would be the ONLY version that allows online co op. I don't remember ps3 having this. Only couch co op.

Plus at $12 for plus members, it's not so bad for the greatest tower defense game. :)

Edit: I wouldn't compare limbo with PJM. One is an "artsy" platformer that lasts 6hrs and the other is an actual game that could last u 30hours plus easily.

i dont think any intelligent self respecting Vita owner bought Limbo for $15, i gaurantee the ones who downloaded it already had purchased the PS3 version and got the cross buy free

anyone who did is fucking disgusting, and yes are setting a horrible precedent that we will gladly pay a ton of money for mediocre artsy platformers

the game is quite good as I remember playing it on the 360. definitely not worth it for $15.

probably could get it on steam for like $4

Moobabe

It was an OK conference for the Vita and nothing more.I don't go to Gamescom so the showfloor doesn't matter much to me bar the new previews.Anyways,why should people not focus too much on a 1 hour presentation which is the damn highlight of the show?

Because it's not conceivable that you can talk about every game that's coming out for your THREE systems in a one hour press conference.

PS4 is out in a couple of months time so why wouldn't we expect that to get the lion's share of coverage. It doesn't mean there will be no new Vita games at the 4 DAY LONG SHOW outside of that one hour.

Danneee

They'd make better money porting the PS2 games (that they're porting to iOS and Android) to Vita and releasing them at retail.

Who'd make this Last of Us spinoff? We all know it wouldn't be Naughty Dog, the game was announced after Bend shipped Golden Abyss so it wouldn't be them unless this is a 2015/2016 release (I struggle to think Vita will be around then), can't be Ready at Dawn, and I'm not sure I'd trust just anybody with that IP.

As for Remote Play, I can only see that moving Vitas if the platform cost $100, but it doesn't and it won't. The cost of entry is way too high to be viable on a mainstream scale, and honestly with the way Wii U is selling I'm not so sure that's a concept the mainstream want to adopt. Even if Remote Play moves loads of Vitas, I'm not entirely convinced that would be a good thing as it would tell developers to not bother making Vita software because Remote Play is good enough and costs them nothing. It'd also foster a userbase used to playing content on the device without paying a cent meaning there's no guarantee that this expanded Vita userbase would even be interested in buying native software. Then again, PlayStation Plus is already kind of doing that.

Vita is sure to be around for a few more years, Sony won't be in a hurry to phase it out in favor of something like mobile gaming. As for who's making a TLoU game, no idea.
Of course chances are that people will just use the Vita for remote play but I don't see that happening.

SmokyDave

People buying good games at decent prices is hardly disappointing. We'd all be much worse off if these games weren't selling. The Vita would be 6 feet under.

Yes, I expect top tier indies to debut at around £12 / $15. That's perfectly fair to me.

Get fucking real. The last people you should rail against are Vita owners that actually buy software. They're the ones keeping the platform above water.

Well you ARE getting two games in one. PS3 and PSP versions are included. And the psp one is quite lengthy and comes with a random level generator.

Also I believe this would be the ONLY version that allows online co op. I don't remember ps3 having this. Only couch co op.

Plus at $12 for plus members, it's not so bad for the greatest tower defense game. :)

Edit: I wouldn't compare limbo with PJM. One is an "artsy" platformer that lasts 6hrs and the other is an actual game that could last u 30hours plus easily.

nice to hear it has online co op.

If they use that as a justification then they need to offer a non cross buy version for cheaper for people like me who don't have a ps3 and therefore have no interest in it being usable on that platform.

Limbo was OK. But its like 3 hours long and not exactly replayable. I got it for £3 on steam ages ago and it was fun but i have no reason to buy it again.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
ricen-beans said:
Well you ARE getting two games in one. PS3 and PSP versions are included.
Based on the trailer - nothing else is. And both of the original versions are cheaper.

I'll be the first to say this IS the best Tower Defense game on any platform - but charging a new premium for a re-release on store which already has two versions of it, is not something I can agree with.
The fact they are recycling the same game again with nothing new(the online coop is not worth the new price of admission, not without any new content), gets on my nerves to begin with - if they're going to do that - it should at LEAST be cross-buy with one or the other two (or both).

OmegaTreeFish said:
If they use that as a justification then they need to offer a non cross buy version for cheaper for people like me who don't have a ps3 and therefore have no interest in it being usable on that platform.
It's not crossbuy - he was referring to the fact it has the same content as PSP version (which had all the content of PS3).

Question: who was it from Sony that said GC would be a Vita show? And what's the context? I'm not talking about just the full quote but the context if the entire interview and conversation?

$h@d0w

Question: who was it from Sony that said GC would be a Vita show? And what's the context? I'm not talking about just the full quote but the context if the entire interview and conversation?

I believe it was a guy who edits videos for Sony.

GAF decided to run with it in usual overhyping fashion.

Top Bottom