• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita Will Allow Multiple PSN Accounts, Sony Says

patsu

[edit]
For example -

ok :
Memory card 1 - Platy psn account with Uncharted and Kingdom hearts
Memory Card 2 - Platy psn account with Little deviant and Little big Planet

not ok :
Memory card 1 - Platy psn account with Little deviant and Andrefpvs Psn account with Little big Planet
[/edit]

Not exactly. The last scenario may be possible *if* resetting to factory defaults does not clear your card, but you'll need to reset to factory defaults when you switch account. Read Crystal's quote again in the Wired article.

spats

I'm not entirely against this. Definitely won't be buying two cards at launch I'm getting an extra one somewhere down the line.

Andrefpvs

It sounds that the amount of memory cards with a psn account is infinite, as long as that memory card only has one psn account

For example -

ok :
Memory card 1 - Platy psn account with Uncharted and Kingdom hearts
Memory Card 2 - Platy psn account with Little deviant and Little big Planet

not ok :
Memory card 1 - Platy psn account with Little deviant and Andrefpvs Psn account with Little big Planet

I get it, thanks.

This sucks. I'll probably only purchase the Vita if Sony fix this via firmware update. I dunno, I have a lot of thinking to do.

It's their fault for allowing me to have a collection of PSP, PS1 and minis games across multiple accounts on PS3. But this isn't as big a problem as it is with the issue of Vita's Trophies and DLC.

See, as an European, forget importing Persona 4 The Golden from the US when it comes out. If you care about buying eventual additional content for the game, you'll have to wait to see if the game will have DLC or not.

Also, some people who created a new PSN account because you're not allowed to change your PSN ID will get screwed by this as well if they currently use content from their previous account.

But I'm going to wait until people have their Vitas to be trully outraged by this.

I hate to be that guy, but I told you that using more than one card would work around the limitation ;)

Anyone that's going to use DD and different regions so much as to need to swap account on the fly should eventually have more than one card after all...

I hate to be that guy, but I told you that using more than one card would work around the limitation ;)

Anyone that's going to use DD and different regions so much as to need to swap account on the fly should eventually have more than one card after all...

I have way more than 32 GB worth of downloads purchased.
For me, needing multiple cards was......inevitable.
Splitting downloads per card by region would be...kind of convenient...

IllumiNate

df16a8a7-e657-4d5a-8ed8-f4c83e97e002.jpg

N-Bomb

I do NOT understand how some of you can be letting them off with 'it's better than nothing', no, in fact nothing would be better.

You're fine with having to pay money to have the ability to run multiple accounts? And not just money, but more-expensive-than-Apple prices for these stupid memory cards?

Sony is so afraid of piracy that they're just strangling the platform.

Feh.

sakipon

Hey what do you know, that shitty little 4GB with First Edition bundle has its purpose!

Will get the 4GB and 32GB~

Haha, yeah! Though to me it seems a lot of people are planning to buy smaller cards first and later upgrade. So if one has patience, after a while there will probably be quite a lot of preowned 4GB cards on eBay.

M-PG71C

Its better than what we knew previously, and still better than 3DS total region lockout.

But it still sucks, they made it as much of a pain in the ass as possible to have multiple accounts/regions. The PS3 did it so right. The fuck went wrong?

(Yes, the obvious answer is there, but damnit. :()

Cornbread78

Good deal most people who own the systems only have 1 account anyway, but at least those that do have mulitple accounts (mulitple users, or multiple regions) will be able to get what they want.

Durante

That's much better than what it seemed to be earlier (complete wipe required). For my purposes I'll just get 2 memory cards and be fine.

I do NOT understand how some of you can be letting them off with 'it's better than nothing', no, in fact nothing would be better.

You're fine with having to pay money to have the ability to run multiple accounts? And not just money, but more-expensive-than-Apple prices for these stupid memory cards?

Feh.
How are "it's better than nothing" and "I'm fine with this" the same thing exactly? Personally I think it's really stupid of Sony to do things this way as it's incredibly anti-user friendly but I still think it's better than not having the option of using multiple accounts at all.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Ehh, I'm okay with this. Not ideal, but not bad, either.

x3sphere

"Your PSN ID is bonded to your memory card and your memory card is bonded to your Vita"

Really need more details on this. Sounds like if your Vita stops working you can't salvage the data from the card it was tied to? Yay DRM.

obonicus

It's technically possible but if they allowed you to do it they wouldn't be able to sell you more memory cards.

I'd bet more on it being a security measure, honestly. I suspect they'd encrypt your entire card with a key tied to your PSN account (and maybe your vita too).

dallow_bg

nods at old men

Feh.
Why is nothing better?

It can still be nothing, just don't ever use anything but your main account.
I'll enjoy the other region's content if I choose to.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
They weren't kidding when they stated "the Vita business, not hardware, will be profitable day 1."

Instead of talking about how it's swapping cards is easier, "will buy a small card for imports," blah blah blah, I'm gonna skip ahead and ask about whether or not this new information means the process of resetting to factory defaults, in order to switch accounts on the same cards, means wiping the memory stick itself. Because I was under the impression that the account is stored on the Vita's limited flash, and removing the stick to spare my downloads was possible.

I guess I was wrong.

What an amazing tactic from a business perspective, and what an appalling way to gouge the poor customers. <3

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
"Your PSN ID is bonded to your memory card and your memory card is bonded to your Vita"

Really need more details on this. Sounds like if your Vita stops working you can't salvage the data from the card it was tied to? Yay DRM.

I wouldn't be worried about your data, since you can back that up to your PC or PS3.

Presumably any concern there would be over whether you could use your (old) card in another (new) machine if your Vita stopped working. But I presume that it'll be a case of 'activation' - where your card is tied to a machine, but it's a relatively loose coupling and can be undone.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Feh.

I'd rather buy another memory card than buy another Vita.

Durante

I don't understand your point. It absolutely is far better than "nothing". For my purposes, "nothing" would mean that to play all the games I want to play I'd need to buy at least 2 Vitas (like I'd have to with 3DS). This way, I just need 2 memory cards. It's not as good as the obvious best solution (just letting you switch accounts on one card), but it's also obviously far better than nothing.

Kyoufu

So... I need 2-3 memory cards? lol

Guess I did ask for the ability to save IDs to memory cards in the other thread...

N-Bomb

I don't understand your point. It absolutely is far better than "nothing". For my purposes, "nothing" would mean that to play all the games I want to play I'd need to buy at least 2 Vitas (like I'd have to with 3DS). This way, I just need 2 memory cards. It's not as good as the obvious best solution (just letting you switch accounts on one card), but it's also obviously far better than nothing.

Or they could not region lock either. This is just piling more garbage on top of other garbage to create one huge landfill of gaming.

There are many reasons why iOS and Android are eating Nintendo's and Sony's breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner, and midnight snack. These are a couple.

Quixzlizx

I don't really get how people are actually getting more angry over this solution than the previous non-existent solution. It's one thing to go from "no buy" to "still no buy," but there are people in here who would rather nobody have the option than there be an option that Sony profits off of. The range of suck is:

"one account" ---> "one account per memory card" --> "unlimited accounts"

not

"one account per memory card" --> "one account" ---> "unlimited accounts"

Apath

This actually doesn't sound bad at all. Reminds me of the PS2, where my brothers and I would each have our own memory card.
Don't you have a 360?
Were the overpriced accessories like the memory cards, hard drives, and wireless adapters not money grabs?
The issue with Vita's memory is more than price though. It's actually required for some games, and has no included option besides special (limited) bundles. Really Sony fucked up the Vita's memory in every way possible, releasing one piece of bad news after the other compounding it.
EDIT: Not that I don't think Microsoft was trying to mass up on $$$ by having hard drives and wireless adapters being so over priced. Memory cards being around $20 is pretty standard. Well, it was coming out of the PS2.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
This actually doesn't sound bad at all. Reminds me of the PS2, where my brothers and I would each have our own memory card.

The issue with Vita's memory is more than price though. It's actually required for some games, and has no included option besides special (limited) bundles. Really Sony fucked up the Vita's memory in every way possible, releasing one piece of bad news after the other compounding it.
EDIT: Not that I don't think Microsoft was trying to mass up on $$$ by having hard drives and wireless adapters being so over priced. Memory cards being around $20 is pretty standard. Well, it was coming out of the PS2.
He was talking about "region locking" though and the role of the cards in that situation. Unless he chimes in again to agree with you and moves his goalpost.

Or he's ok with one kind of money grab, and not another.

Man, this sucks. I don't see why they can't be like the 3DS, ipad ,iphone, ipod touch, and support multiple accounts on the same device. Oh wait.......

Or they could not region lock either. This is just piling more garbage on top of other garbage to create one huge landfill of gaming.

There are many reasons why iOS and Android are eating Nintendo's and Sony's breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner, and midnight snack. These are a couple.

IOS now allows for multiple accounts on a single device?

Again , true .i'd rather have 2 memory card than 2 consoles ( one i would have to import ) to play all the games .

Dunan

Better that it was looking like it was going to be, but still, come on, Sony. Wake up. We're well into the second decade of the 21st century and the world is filled with people who speak multiple languages and buy games from all over the world and (as you might expect with a handheld) travel with those games.

It would seem to be a no-brainer to make it as easy as possible for people to buy as much content as they want to buy.

I'm looking forward to the day when territories, regions, and locales vanish entirely from the gaming world, leaving only languages for the games to be translated into. Japanese, English, German, French, Russian, etc., not Japan, Asia, North America, Europe, etc.

Durante

Both of those are region locked. So in my book, Vita is actually ahead of them in this regard.

I'm looking forward to the day when territories, regions, and locales vanish entirely from the gaming world, leaving only languages for the games to be translated into. Japanese, English, German, French, Russian, etc., not Japan, Asia, North America, Europe, etc.
Amen brother.

Burai

shitonmychest57
I presume Sony operates like North Korea and they work in some sort of bubble that's oblivious to what's going on in the outside world with dear leader Howard Stringer filtering everything.

Did they not see the PS3 and 3DS launches? There is no way that any of this bullshit is sustainable outside of the dumb early adopting manchildren with more money than sense.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
On the one hand, good. A couple of memory cards isn't a big issue for Those importing.

On the other hand, this suggests you need a memory card to even log into PSN? What if you have one of those rare retail cards that don't need a memory card, can't play online?

CamHostage

LOL...I've got no issue with limiting to one PSN account, but the way they say it is hilarious. "Want more than one account? Buy another of our extremely overprice proprietary memory cards!"

Actually, as a PSP owner into import downloading, this is much better to me than what I had to deal with on the previous system. Before, I had to decide before I left the house for a trip what I was going to play that weekend, US games or Import games, because unless you were able to log into PSN and change your account passport, only certain apps would boot. Now, I can simply flip the memory cards about. Similarly, multiple family members can share a PSV, just swap in their card and everything is set to their preferences and game selection. (BTW, this is how I always thought and kind of hoped PSP was going to be anyway.)

...But yeah, memory card prices need to come way down no matter what. The cards are already twice the price of Memory Stick, and those are twice the price of SD Cards, not a good price point to be caught.

Or they could not region lock either. This is just piling more garbage on top of other garbage to create one huge landfill of gaming. There are many reasons why iOS and Android are eating Nintendo's and Sony's breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner, and midnight snack. These are a couple.

Honestly, this is a GAFer's problem, not a normal gamer's problem. There's always a lot of racket around stuff like this or dedicated servers or whatever, but for the vast, vast number of buyers, it will never affect them. The fact that there is an option (which many systems do not allow) is at least a good thing, even though it's fair to gripe about its restrictions in an effort to affect future change.

And I don't know about Android, but I know it's not all that easy to buy regional content on iTunes (doable, but it's approx the same hoops as getting a foreign PSN account.) Users of iTunes and AppStore always have their own complaints about how screwed up the choices are Apple and Android makes regarding sold content. So maybe the impression that the grass is greener is luring people away but I hear kids bitching all the time about their phones and the annoying problems they have to face too.

Top Bottom