• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Voting-GAF: Best Online FPS of all Time

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The greatest no frills deathmatch game ever made; Quake 3 Arena

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
For me, it's a tie between:

34opw5g.jpg

2rf9gkm.jpg

theRizzle

I'll toss in a vote for Quake 1. While the base game wasn't the greatest, the mod support was mindblowing. Rocket Arena, Threewave CTF & Team Fortress basically birthed a lot of what we consider to be standard multiplayer modes today.

However, for sheer competitiveness, nothing beats Q3A in my mind.

Cornbread78

Should be just titled PC GAF: what is the best MP game.

Killzone 2 and RFoM take the cake in my experience. I don't play PC games.....

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
A single vote with no deadline or format? This is going to make crummy statistics and be annoying to add up.

I for one disaprove of the voting gaf tag, this is just a discusion topic.

ksan

Cornbread78 said:
Should be just titled PC GAF: what is the best MP game.

Killzone 2 and RFoM take the cake in my experience. I don't play PC games.....
whine in tsay/mm2 please

theBishop

Banned
Vagabundo said:
No contest here: Enemy Territory by a nautical mile.

<3 enemy territory <3

have you played MAG? It's the best current-gen game I've played which scratches the same itches, while also moving it forward. Quake Wars sadly was just not a very good game imo.

demon arm

Difficult question, but at the end of the day I'd vote

Team Fortress 2

quite simply because I've had the most fun over the longest period of time with that online FPS.

That being said I really don't care much for its hats'n'crates incarnation and have practically stopped playing it since.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
i'd have been pretty heart-broken if nobody came into this gaf thread declaring killzone 2 the greatest fps of all time.

Emitan

Heavy said:
I'm gonna get hate for this too but I loved COD4 Modern Warfare. At the time, the XP system with its levels, unlocks, attachments and customization was fresh and new. Looking back, it changed the entire genre did it not? Countless FPS since then have tried to copy it. Kind of like Gears of War with its cover system -- lots of third-person shooters have tried to mimic it.
I wouldn't pick COD4 as my favorite, but I agree there's a reason why it's now the de facto FPS of this generation, like Halo before it. If only the PC version didn't use Punkbuster... I keep getting kicked from servers, but at least the 360 version is still alive and kicking.

Heavy said:
Halo Reach is better than Halo 2 in like every single facet of the game.
Halo 2 > Reach to me solely because I've never had a Reach LAN party and me and my friends would LAN Halo 2 all the time. Only two out of the 8 of us owned Xboxes, but we all bought controllers to make it easier on our 2 Xbox owning friends. Those late night cutom games filled with frantic shouting, screen looking and pizza rolls will be missed ;_;

ghst said:
i'd have been pretty heart-broken if nobody came into this gaf thread declaring killzone 2 the greatest fps of all time.
I hate the controls and I never have enough ammo. I love their multi objective gametype idea though. More games need that.

thefil said:
I wouldn't feel right if I didn't come in to give my answers.

1. Team Fortress 2
2. Command & Conquer: Renegade

*edit* If anyone could point me towards what I need to do to play Renegade on active servers today, I'd be happy.

My God, the hours I spent on that game.

Edit: Strike that. If Jedi Outcast counts as a FPS, then my vote goes for Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II. Over 500 hours of good ol' dial-up lagfesting.

NewFresh

CS 1.6

Limitless hours of fun playing this game. It is the only one that I can still play and enjoy just as much as when It first came out

Absinthe

Maybe i'm too old, but my favorite was Doom 2 multiplayer through bbs. Along with creating your own maps and downloading others. Being able to play multiplayer at that time was an awesome experience. And Doom 2 was pure greatness in multiplayer IMO

ksan said:
Quake1cover.jpg

I'm gonna go with QuakeWorld, which I'm extremely dissapointed to not find in the OP.
Yeh. Anyone that doesn't say QuakeWorld I get the feeling never played it. The amount of mods that sprang from it alone destroys anything today. Going from playing Quake online on dialup to QuakeWorld was something amazing as well. I laugh when people talk about lag nowadays. Try being around when Quake launched on dialup.

mxgt

Banned
Delta-Force-Land-Warrior-Pc.jpg

This was my first shooter for PC, got it because my friends played it. So much fun. Too bad it was rife with cheaters and hackers.

Kawl_USC

Gotta be Halo 2 for me. I don't even want to know how many hours I put into that game during middle school. I'm sure it easily numbered in the thousands. No online shooter has captured my time and attention like that again. Not being a PC gamer it was just an incredible experience that was so far ahead of its time for consoles. I mean hell it took years before anything came even close to topping it. While people may argue that the later Halo's are better, Halo 2 has the best maps of the series by far. Midship and Lockout were 4v4 perfection and with Big Team Battle Maps like Headlong, Coag, Waterworks and more I can look back on almost every map with fond memories; which is a far cry from Halo 3 or Halo Reach. No game has captured the magic I felt playing Halo 2 online and so for me its easily the best online FPS of all time. Not even the rampant modders could ruin it for me. It also had zombies when team changing was entirely honor based and it still managed to be a hundred times better than what Bungie has been able to come up with in matchmaking. I could go on and on about all the things that I love about Halo 2 that are lacking from all other console shooters I've played.

Again so PC-GAF doesn't berate me, never had a hardcore gaming pc so this is coming from a console only gaming perspective.

Kujo

Halo 2
Quake 2
Modern Warfare 2
Soldier of Fortune 2

This is a very 2 list, but they all gave me a lot of fun.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
1. Quake 3 Arena
Forever and ever. It is the genre.

2. Unreal Tournament
I played a TON of this and while I want to say it is equal to Quake 3, deep down I know it isn't pure enough. The abundance of weapons and secondary fire and other things makes it too cluttered. That is the only weakness.

3. Left 4 Dead 2
So amazing and creative, yet not slipping too far down the douchebag slope. Not a single space marine in sight. True co-op not just in people playing the game at once but through the whole design. Versus modes are fantastic and get enough to mix it up without trashing it.

4. Team Fortress 2
I'm not one of these guys, but I can understand and see the genius in the design.

5. Battlefield 2
Allows for too much douchebaggery but still less than other modern war shooters. Unlike BC2, the design itself is the real deal, and Battlefield 3 has potential to climb to a higher position.

Gowans007 said:
For me playing BFBC2 online has been the highlight of FPS shooters for me so far.

I tend to agree. It's just that given Counterstrike's role in the world of online FPS I couldn't answer otherwise.

Oh, I forgot about the first Gears of War actually. Not as relevant as CS, but as an online multiplayer game, I don't think there's something that rivals the sheer amount of fun I've had with that.

DaBuddaDa

My number one is Counter-Strike 1.6 I think, with Counter-Strike: Source and Team Fortress 2 a very close second place tie.

1. Team Fortress 2
2. Left 4 Dead
3. Counter Strike Source

How can anyone not love TF2? It's one of the most brilliantly executed multiplayer games of all time.

kamspy

Bad Company 2

It's far from perfect, hell, it's barely even a PC game. But......destruction. All that really needs to be said. After I spent a dozen or so hours with it I couldn't go back. In other games I'd find myself shooting a rocket into a wall to make a quick escape only to get a quick suicide. An enemy sniper would duck behind a windows and I would project some for of explosive in the general area just to be sobered by the invincible drywall.

Aside from that, rotating flavors of UT. Can't pick a favorite.

Top Bottom