• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Voting-GAF: Best Online FPS of all Time

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Typographenia said:
1. Team Fortress 2
2. Left 4 Dead
3. Counter Strike Source

How can anyone not love TF2? It's one of the most brilliantly executed multiplayer games of all time.

TF2 is probably my No.2, simply because of how much fun I've had and still have.

But Q3A is king. Forever and ever.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Typographenia said:
How can anyone not love TF2? It's one of the most brilliantly executed multiplayer games of all time.
Maybe a year or two ago, yeah.

DaBuddaDa

Dance In My Blood said:
Maybe a year or two ago, yeah.
Which deluge of competitive multi-player FPS have come out in the past two years that bump TF2 down to be not even one of the most brilliantly executed multi-player games of all time?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
DaBuddaDa said:
Which deluge of competitive multi-player FPS have come out in the past two years that bump TF2 down to be not even one of the most brilliantly executed multi-player games of all time?
TF2 updates are the game's own worst enemy.

mshlive

Counter Strike 1.6
Quake 3 Arena
Halo 2

CS 1.6 for being the best possible team experience, Q3A as the true measure of individual skill and H2 as the most competitive online shooter on consoles.

Note: Halo CE > Halo 2 but since were talking online....

methane47

NOOOO CONTESTT

strike_at_karkand.jpg

Igo

CS 1.6

I pretty much stopped playing in 08 but it's still my multiplayer game of choice. It's clearly the most versatile fps ever made. The map variety is just incredible and now there's zombie shit that i've yet to try. I don't think there will be anything like it every again.

Also, this game had stat tracking back in 01 and most games are only now catching up.

All of my best gaming memories over the last 10 years are from CS. It actually makes me a little depressed that i'll probably never relive those experiences.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
quake 2 and unreal tournament 99. i had so much fun with both in high school. and the chaingun in q2, or the zero as my friends referred to it as was so much damn fun.

bigace33

Unreal Tournament 2004. I had so much fun playing Onslaught on the weekends. I would literally spend my entire Saturdays playing that game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I will say that, as much as Q3A is king, I had a lot of great lan nights playing nothing but capture the flag on Facing Worlds and Lava Giant in Unreal Tournament.

Lava Giant in particular is one of my favourite capture the flag maps of all time.

GenericUser

for me, its definitely quake 3 and call of duty 4.

i love how the first focused on reaction and aiming and i love the second for its perks and its very varied gameplay.

Halo 3

Dunno why I'm seeing so many mentions of Halo 2 when Halo 3 was superior in every way (aside from the maps). Nostalgia is a powerful thing I suppose.

tass0

Banned
Counter-Strike, it's not even a question for me.

Quake 3 Arena as second.

I played CS for 7 years, and it's still the best online FPS I've ever played.

No other game will match Counter-Strike for me, all the custom maps, the great community, the insanely high skill required, it's the perfect game.

I like some of these new online FPS, but they don't really compare.

I was hooked on CoD4 for like a month, then I never played it again.

Igo said:
CS 1.6

I pretty much stopped playing in 08 but it's still my multiplayer game of choice. It's clearly the most versatile fps ever made. The map variety is just incredible and now there's zombie shit that i've yet to try. I don't think there will be anything like it every again.

Also, this game had stat tracking back in 01 and most games are only now catching up.

All of my best gaming memories over the last 10 years are from CS. It actually makes me a little depressed that i'll probably never relive those experiences.

I hear ya.

fy, kz, ka, gg, surf, they're all so awesome.

I had more 3x more fun playing custom maps than playing regular CS.

*sigh*

Those days are gone now. :(

mshlive

Dax01 said:
Halo 3

Dunno why I'm seeing so many mentions of Halo 2 when Halo 3 was superior in every way (aside from the maps). Nostalgia is a powerful thing I suppose.
Halo 3 may have superior features (Forge & Theater Mode) but in regards to gameplay it was a big letdown :(

I just played couple of rounds of ET... and even on a random pub, it's still better than any other FPS around. I just wish Efterlyst or Bio or something was still up.

Kujo

Dax01 said:
Why did you choose 3 over Reach? Halo 3 nostalgia, amirite

Tunavi

Banned
I've always been in love with the Halo series, but I've had little experience in the past with other online shooters, so my vote is gonna be a little biased.

Edit: I don't like Call of Duty, but Bad Company 2 multiplayer is amazing

Nymerio

UT99 and Counterstrike: Source for me. Played the shit out of CSS when I was in school. It was really nice having a dedicated server in the classroom. During all classes where we were allowed to have the notebook out we usually played CSS. Made for some intense moments when you had to keep a straight face while the teacher was talking at the front. There were days when our schedule allowed us 6 hours of nonstop play, by the end of that year everyone in class was really good. Best moment though was when we were playing UT99 domination, the round ended with a score difference of 1 or 2 points, and 12 people at once started shouting :D

Edit: I also like both Left 4 Dead games. Pity I don't really get to play them that often.

Makoto

1. Counter-Strike 1.6, Battlefield 1942, Call of Duty/Call of Duty: United Offensive.
2. Battlefield 2/Battlefield 2142
3. Joint Operations

Babalu.

The ONLY right answers are:

Quake 2 or 3arena
Counterstrike
Battlefield 1942 or 2

They are the greatest online multiplayer FPS's ever made.

daoster

Counterstrike...

Those days of carrying my computer into a friend's garage to play local lan, with the heat of all the comptuers keeping us warm, screaming at each other to go wherever or to watch out for whoever....man, those were good days.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Team Fortress Classic easily. Counterstrike is #2. After that it is a big jumble, but Bad Company 2 is probably #3 TBH. I haven't played it as much as many others, but I have been playing this damn genre long enough to know what I like.

Top Bottom