• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vox: Leaked regulation: Trump plans to roll back Obamacare birth control mandate

nynt9

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/5/31/15716778/trump-birth-control-regulation

The Trump administration is apparently preparing to overhaul Obamacare’s birth control mandate, purportedly allowing any employer to seek a moral or religious exemption from the requirement, according to a draft regulation obtained by Vox.

The Affordable Care Act requires nearly all employers to offer health insurance that covers access to a wide array of contraceptive methods. The draft proposal, if finalized, would significantly broaden the type of companies and organizations that can request an exemption. This could lead to many American women who currently receive no-cost contraception having to pay out of pocket for their medication.

More at the article, but that's the gist of it.

CHC

I feel like we're moving past the clumsy tutorial and deep into the "just fuck my shit up" phase of this presidency with alarming speed.

McBryBry

"Birth control is bad! You just have to abstain from sex! And if you can't, you deserve the kid you have no rights to an abortion for (even if its rape!), the increased costs of pregnancy, AND no help because bootstraps!"

im_shocked.gif

At this point I am no longer shocked what Trump will do to reverse legislation from a previous President.

Edit: Sorry Double post

Tigress

For a party that cares so much about abortion they sure do like to make policies that will make more abortions happen.

McBryBry

For a party that cares so much about abortion they sure do like to make policies that will make more abortions happen.

You mean policies to have children born to families that can't afford it so they have to raise the uneducated that end up voting for them right?

Future

Hopefully no one is shocked anymore by GOP doing what GOP has always said they would do if given control. Of course they will dial that back and it will affect the red states more anyway, since businesses there are most likely to take advantage of something like this.

You should want this since it's the only way for people in those red states to see the results of what they've been preaching so long

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
But. Her. Covfefe

I like this meme a lot.

However, the US is regressing like crazy. Feels fucking bad. I just shake my head at this point, thankful that everyone involved in this will be dead in 100 years. Hopefully senators kids can make boats out of all the bribe money when all this shit catches up to them. Global warming, war on women, war on drugs and gays. It's like the good ol' days.

cameron

Adding to this, Donald's proposed budget boosts funding to abstinence-only education programs:
As Quartz reports, the proposed budget calls for investing $277 million to “extend abstinence education and personal responsibility education program” between 2018 and 2027. The investment certainly falls in line with Vice-President Mike Pence’s love of abstinence-only programs (and subsequent lack of knowledge about how condoms actually work). But it also completely disregards research showing that abstinence-only programs don’t work.
Last year, Obama removed all funding for that nonsense:
In his proposed federal budget for 2017, President Obama has removed all funding for abstinence-only education, by cutting a $10 million per year grant from the Department of Health and Human Services that supports such programs, which have never been proven effective. A 2007 study by prominent sexual health researcher Douglas Kirby, which looked at the effect of sex ed on teen pregnancies and sexually transmitted diseases concluded that “there does not exist any strong evidence that any abstinence program delays the initiation of sex, hastens the return to abstinence, or reduces the number of sexual partners.” Despite the lack of scientific evidence, over the last 25 years Congress has spent nearly $2 billion on such “abstinence-until-marriage” programs. The Sexuality Information and Education Council of the United States (SIECUS) praised President Obama for his administration’s commitment “to secure the right to quality sexuality education for young people,” which also entails a proposed $4 million increase for the Teen Pregnancy Prevention Program.

Future

What does this have to do with anything?

Like why is the government targeting women?

Pleases the religious right to have the government not fund anything related to sex.

But remember, women voted for this stuff too, and wanted it. It's like handsmaiden tale style indoctrination

What does this have to do with anything?

Like why is the government targeting women?

It's a common theme in fascist/authoritarian movements. Control over women and women's choices is like a mini-version of what the movement wants to do to the whole country as well as re-establishs the patriarchy that most fascist movements tend to embody

Pizoxuat

This is exactly the reason why I got an IUD when he was elected. I am far from the only woman I know who did the same thing.

gaiages

Banned
Time to start stocking up ladies. I feel for the women living in the Bible belt. They're getting screwed left and right

Unfortunately most of it is prescribed, it's kind of hard to 'stock up'.

Also it's doubly shit because there's a sizable amount of women that take birth control to help with hormonal and menstrual issues, not even for the 'no baby yay' aspect

But her emails or sex is bad or something

What if the employee has a moral or religious objection to the employer's moral or religious exemption

The answer from the far right would be: "then that employee can get another job. Besides, people aren't people, only corporations are people, and only real people can have religious objections."

Nista

At this point I should just go get a hysterectomy, instead of waiting another decade or so for my ovaries to give up the ghost. :p

Not that my current healthcare would probably drop the BC requirement, but you never know when they can save a few $ at womens' expense.

Top Bottom