• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VRR is a gamechanger

SpokkX

So i just got a new tv (2021 high end samsung) that supports VRR (and 120fps etc)

i am shocked that suddenly EVERY game on xbox series X now ”feels” locked to the target framerate.

Cyberpunk cant hold 60fps while driving but with VRR it feels like locked 60

Sekiro drops down to 50-ies in certain areas. With VRR it just feels like locked 60

Even mech warrior 5 which has real framerate issues and runs 45-60 all the time.. with VRR? Yep feels like locked 60

seriously VRR is basically the best next gen feature - it feels like i just upgrades my pc with a new gfx card since it gives the same effect. I really hope Sony implements VRR soon, because it really is a gamechanger

edit: yes tearing is also gone in every game

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
So i just got a new tv (2021 high end samsung) that supports VRR (and 120fps etc)

i am shocked that suddenly EVERY game on xbox series X now ”feels” locked to the target framerate.

Sekiro drops down to 50-ies in certain areas. With VRR it just feels like locked 60

Even mech warrior 5 which has real framerate issues and runs 45-60 all the time.. with VRR? Yep feels like locked 60

seriously VRR is basically the best next gen feature - it feels like i just upgrades my pc with a new gfx card since it gives the same effect. I really hope Sony implements VRR soon, because it really is a gamechanger

Pity, it's out of reach of most normal people that play games, from what i have been told those TVs are extremely expensive.

Even if PlayStation comes out with it, it wont make a difference to me, i cant afford 1k plus for a Tv upgrade.

Excess

Pity, it's out of reach of most normal people that play games, from what i have been told those TVs are extremely expensive.

Even if PlayStation comes out with it, it wont make a difference to me, i cant afford 1k plus for a Tv upgrade.
It's widely and cheaply available on most monitors, but I'm not sure what size display you're currently playing on.

GuinGuin

Banned
sekirmokqc.png

Sekiro is locked at 60 on PS5.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Yep I loved it in my tv. My pc monitor had g sync to, so hard to go back to old tech once you have the good stuff.

hope it starts to show up on more tvs

nkarafo

It is. I have a vrr monitor for a while and every game that supports gsync/freesync feels amazing. Like, there are no stutters at all, even when the frame rate itself isn't 100% stable.

Not all games play well with it, like Death Stranding and it's shitty engine.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member

Which one did you get? I bought the QN90A. My favorite thing about it is it can do 4K 120Hz on a HDMI 2.0 port with my 2080ti.

nkarafo

It only runs well at locked 30fps. If i lock it at 40fps (my monitor is 240hz so it's a multiple) several animation and physics bugs appear, as well as major frame pacing issues. At 60fps it runs OK but doesn't support freesync/vsync so when it drops to the 50s i get major stutters. But even at 60 it has plenty of microstutters that can't be fixed even with RTSS.

Basically, if i want to play it with a consistent frame rate, without stutters, my only choice is 30fps even though my PC can run it at 50-60 fps.

I have 100+ PC games installed right now and only 3 or 4 games exhibit such issues. Which is why i think Death Stranding is not a good PC port.

Last edited:
To get absolutely locked 60fps on a console I imagine you need quite a bit of headroom over 60fps so you have 'wasted' performance. With VRR drops to ~55fps aren't a problem (RE8 on XSX is a good example) and probably not even noticeable to 99% of people.

I easily notice the sudden judder caused by repeated frames when a 60fps v-synced game drops below 60fps when there is no VRR. I've been playing Miles Morales again and the 60fps RT mode has judder so I looked up a few videos and low and behold it drops to 56-57fps which I guarantee I wouldn't notice with VRR.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Since the latest update I received on LG CX I am using it and loving it, it's not like it's new tech but on the TV it feels even more substantial than on PC, maybe because I had top-of the line GPU last 4 generation of GPUs and don't really play games on PC that much. I am really liking it.

elliot5

I really want to get a VRR TV, maybe an OLED some time soon like in 2 years. I have used freesync and have a gsync monitor for my PC and I know what a difference it makes. Definitely a necessity for the future.

Hope in 2 years all the 4k120 vrr flicker etc kinks get ironed out, too.

FlyyGOD

I got my LG CX10 just for my series x. I didn't want to experience next gen on my old samsung.

yurqqa

4K is revolutionary !!!
HDR is revolutionary !!!
60 fps is revolutionary !!!

Eeeee... we weren't able to do it properly - please buy new TV with VRR so that you won't notice stutter and fps drops.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Still waiting on a goddamn compatible receiver
Yeah that’s the biggest hurdle for me as well. I run everything through the AVR which acts as a HDMI switch, if my AVR can’t do VRR I would lose that even if the TV is VRR capable. It also feels like there are traps everywhere that will mess things up because of some compatibility or bandwidth issue. Took me forever to get 4K 60hz 4:4:4 HDR working correctly. As if a miracle happened I recently found out that my 4 year old TV and AVR could both do 1080p 120hz though!

vkbest

VRR is a terrible mistake for consoles. I can understand on PC people who has VRR (GSync, etc) increase graphics settings to get better resolution or graphics using VRR. But on consoles we will get lazy developers not optimizing enough because VRR. The most people don’t have VRR capable tv, it’s a new technology in TVs, so the most people will suffer stutter on their games.

You can watch for yourself in this forum, Xbox users always talking about VRR, they need VRR to get their games smooth

Tommi84

from what i have been told those TVs are extremely expensive.
From what I've heard, the Philips' lineup of 2021 TVs (like 8506 LEDs) will have VRR and should be a bit less expensive.

Yes, it'll not have 120hz and will definitely lose in terms of video quality as Samsung has OLED, but seems a decent bang for buck ;)

GHG

why doubt?

Because it only works well in instances where a game cannot hold a steady framerate. It doesn't give you free extra frames, it ensures what your eyes see is a lot smoother.

I only ever use VRR as a last resort in instances where I can't lock the framerate to 60/120fps. A locked framerate is always superior. VRR will not make sub-60fps feel or look like 60fps, for that you need motion interpolation but that comes with the side effect of increased input lag.

What you see with VRR is the actual framerate, at all times. So if it's running at 60fps and then it drops to bounce around 40fps for example you will be seeing 40fps in those moments, rather than it stuttering or tearing since normal TV's/monitors can't keep up with framerates that are bouncing around all the time.

Sub 60 is still terrible. Even with g/freesync.

I wouldn't say it's terrible, it's a nice band-aid to have if you hardware can't always keep up with whats going on (which is why it's a good feature for consoles to have) but at the end of the day a locked framerate will always be superior when possible.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
VRR is a terrible mistake for consoles. I can understand on PC people who has VRR (GSync, etc) increase graphics settings to get better resolution or graphics using VRR. But on consoles we will get lazy developers not optimizing enough because VRR. The most people don’t have VRR capable tv, it’s a new technology in TVs, so the most people will suffer stutter on their games.

You can watch for yourself in this forum, Xbox users always talking about VRR, they need VRR to get their games smooth

With how variable raytracing is in its performance demand from scene to scene VRR is absolutely needed. Especially something like RT reflections. How are developers supposed to account for that? By lowering the graphics across the board because one area full of reflections tanks the framerate? Sure you could use DRS but not all game engines support that. Capcom's doesn't. Remedy's doesn't.

GHG

With how variable raytracing is in its performance demand from scene to scene VRR is absolutely needed. Especially something like RT reflections. How are developers supposed to account for that? By lowering the graphics across the board because one area full of reflections tanks the framerate? Sure you could use DRS but not all game engines support that. Capcom's doesn't. Remedy's doesn't.

My suggestion is don't use raytracing to a degree that your target hardware can't handle it but people aren't going to like that.

Imagine ray tracing without DLSS on PC. It would be a nightmare and nobody would bother with it. Hence why we have AMD GPU users (and Hardware Unboxed) telling us it's overrated and not worth it all the time.

The developer should decide if they are targeting 30fps or 60fps on console and then budget/optimise accordingly.

JimboJones

There's been a few games with variable frame rate modes, usually called 60fps mode or performance mode but the actual time spent at 60fps is rare, it could actually make these modes a little more bearable.

nkarafo

Because it only works well in instances where a game cannot hold a steady framerate. It doesn't give you free extra frames, it ensures what your eyes see is a lot smoother.

I only ever use VRR as a last resort in instances where I can't lock the framerate to 60/120fps. A locked framerate is always superior. VRR will not make sub-60fps feel or look like 60fps, for that you need motion interpolation but that comes with the side effect of increased input lag.

What you see with VRR is the actual framerate, at all times. So if it's running at 60fps and then it drops to bounce around 40fps for example you will be seeing 40fps in those moments, rather than it stuttering or tearing since normal TV's/monitors can't keep up with framerates that are bouncing around all the time.
But what about games that your PC can't quite run at 60fps at all times and you get dips to the 50s?

I rather use VRR than reduce the graphics settings just to avoid stutters in the most demanding scenes.

Plenty of game have demanding scenes where the frame rate tanks, even though 99% of the time the performance is solid. Why would i drop the graphics settings just for that 1%?

Other times, even games that can hold 60fps at all times, still get micro stutters for whatever resons. Most of the time VRR fixes those as well, at least it did for a few games in my case.

GTAV frame rate completely tanks when you use the submarine. It goes from solid 60 to low 50s/high 40s. I had to deal with intense stuttering during those parts and the only way to make it smooth there was to reduce the shadow settings. So, instead of changing the settings every time i wanted to use the sub, i just use VRR and even though it's still at low 50s, it's not as noticeable because the frame rate is still consistent and even without stutters.

VRR also shines if you use emulators that can support it. A lot of arcade games run at weird refresh rates, like 57, 56, etc. These will look stuttery if you run them on a standard 60hz monitor, unless you speed them up a bit so they run closer to 60. But that means the games will run at the wrong speed. With RetroArch and VRR, i can play these games at their correct speed, without stutters.

It's a game changer for me.

Top Bottom