• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Want the Regular New 3DS in NA? Let Nintendo Know! Find out how in here!

finalflame

This isn't a thing. You can update the firmware freely once you've installed the Gateway firmware once. Right now all N3DS are shipping with 9.2 or below. This might hangs in the future, so if you are thinking of importing, you should do it sooner than later.

You do have a choice, though. You're just ignoring your options. Right now the XL is outselling the standard 3 to 1, so Nintendo has zero incentive to bring over the standard N3DS. A foolish decision? Nintendo? Nintendo is the king of foolish decisions. (Region lock? No AC adapter? Where's the Pokemon Wii U MMO? Etc are just a few that come to mind) Quite frankly they don't give a shit what people want. So if you want a standard N3DS, your best bet is to import. If you want region free on your imported N3DS, you'll have to buy a Gateway. I guarantee you Importing + Buying a Gateway will motivate Nintendo more than a facebook post is going to. Nintendo loves their walled garden, and right now the main incentive to buy a Gateway is the lack of the Standard N3DS in America.

You seem to know what you're talking about. I'm contemplating importing an EU N3DS, white, and banking on Gateway eventually allowing me to flash a U.S. firmware onto it. How likely is this to happen, and to work well enough for me to be able to do a system transfer with all my digital titles from my current N3DS XL? If it's in the future plans, or likely/coming, I will 100% buy one.

This isn't a thing. You can update the firmware freely once you've installed the Gateway firmware once. Right now all N3DS are shipping with 9.2 or below. This might hangs in the future, so if you are thinking of importing, you should do it sooner than later.

You do have a choice, though. You're just ignoring your options. Right now the XL is outselling the standard 3 to 1, so Nintendo has zero incentive to bring over the standard N3DS. A foolish decision? Nintendo? Nintendo is the king of foolish decisions. (Region lock? No AC adapter? Where's the Pokemon Wii U MMO? Etc are just a few that come to mind) Quite frankly they don't give a shit what people want. So if you want a standard N3DS, your best bet is to import. If you want region free on your imported N3DS, you'll have to buy a Gateway. I guarantee you Importing + Buying a Gateway will motivate Nintendo more than a facebook post is going to. Nintendo loves their walled garden, and right now the main incentive to buy a Gateway is the lack of the Standard N3DS in America.

But these choices are not optimal. I already do have an import n3DS, but that is used to further my Japanese studies. I want that option for the standar model available to me and others officially through the company. Just because you and other naysayers believe calling Nintendo, writing them letters/emails, or voicing our displeasure through social media is a waste of time doesn't make that true. If I, and others, wish to exhaust all avenues available to show the interest for the smaller model is there, that is our right. Telling us that we should just suck up and import or invest in a hack is another way of saying, "Oh well, sucks to be you. Get over it." Yeah, what you suggest are options. But those options are essentially forcing loyal consumers to jump through hoops when we shouldn't have to.

PS: Game Freak and the creators of Pokemon have already explained why the main series (the most popular version of the series) is handheld only: they want people out and about to communicate with each other in person, even though the use of online features has been available for years in the game. That is a legitimate reason. Damon Baker's expressing the intentional upsetting of their core audience in a desperate attempt to draw in new consumers is not. And another note, Nintendo has addressed the potential to eliminate region lock at some point. I figure that will happen with their next gen systems, both console and handheld

jax

Banned
You seem to know what you're talking about. I'm contemplating importing an EU N3DS, white, and banking on Gateway eventually allowing me to flash a U.S. firmware onto it. How likely is this to happen, and to work well enough for me to be able to do a system transfer with all my digital titles from my current N3DS XL? If it's in the future plans, or likely/coming, I will 100% buy one.
This is exactly what I did and am planning on doing the second Gateway is updated to support the New 3DS. (I actually imported an AU unit because I panicked and thought EU would ship with 9.3+... I was wrong.) I don't know if Gateway will support firmware flashing or not, but I do know it disables region lock. You 100% can transfer all of your digital purchases as well as backups of carts to the Gateway modified system, but it's not via an official system transfer... It's more about transferring files around the SD cards. But to my understanding the games and saves will 100% work when Gateway is updated. There are up to date guides for everything on the Gateway official forums, as well as on GBAtemp. The community there is very kind and helpful with anything you might have trouble with. The only problem now is waiting for Gateway to actually update with N3DS support. (Right now they're saying 3/14)

But these choices are not optimal. I already do have an import n3DS, but that is used to further my Japanese studies. I want that option for the standar model available to me and others officially through the company. Just because you and other naysayers believe calling Nintendo, writing them letters/emails, or voicing our displeasure through social media is a waste of time doesn't make that true. If I, and others, wish to exhaust all avenues available to show the interest for the smaller model is there, that is our right. Telling us that we should just suck up and import or invest in a hack is another way of saying, "Oh well, sucks to be you. Get over it." Yeah, what you suggest are options. But those options are essentially forcing loyal consumers to jump through hoops when we shouldn't have to.

PS: Game Freak and the creators of Pokemon have already explained why the main series (the most popular version of the series) is handheld only: they want people out and about to communicate with each other in person, even though the use of online features has been available for years in the game. That is a legitimate reason. Damon Baker's expressing the intentional upsetting of their core audience in a desperate attempt to draw in new consumers is not. And another note, Nintendo has addressed the potential to eliminate region lock at some point. I figure that will happen with their next gen systems, both console and handheld

I understand where you're coming from. I really do. I just want people to know that there are other avenues with the standard N3DS. I'm on your guys side with the NA release, and I'll probably buy one if they ever come stateside.. But Nintendo has been far from supportive with this movement, and this is largely because they have a lot of OG3DS, OGXL and 2DS to sell. They also don't have enough shelf space, and with cover plates and whatnot that can get messy fast. Look at how poorly NOA is handling Amiibo and multiply that by 100 with cover plates. Our region is just too large for them to handle, I guess.

Also, Gamefreak's reasoning is far from sound. No one just goes around and asks people if they have Pokemon or something. A Pokemon MMO Has been asked for for over a decade, it would reignite the fledgling Pokemon brand, and it would sell a butt load of Wii U. Nintendo is the king of dumb decisions, and The next handheld/console being region free sadly doesn't solve the lack of a standard N3DS in America. :( gateway however, does.

antibolo

Banned
I'm not going to to risk getting my NNID account banned over those hacks, period. The fact that you mentioned "backups of carts" only further sealed the deal for me, if this is a piracy-enabling hack then I don't want anything to do with it. Nintendo will crack down on it eventually, and I don't want to deal with that hassle.

I understand where you're coming from. I really do. I just want people to know that there are other avenues with the standard N3DS. I'm on your guys side with the NA release, and I'll probably buy one if they ever come stateside.. But Nintendo has been far from supportive with this movement, and this is largely because they have a lot of OG3DS, OGXL and 2DS to sell. They also don't have enough shelf space, and with cover plates and whatnot that can get messy fast. Look at how poorly NOA is handling Amiibo and multiply that by 100 with cover plates. Our region is just too large for them to handle, I guess.

Also, Gamefreak's reasoning is far from sound. No one just goes around and asks people if they have Pokemon or something. A Pokemon MMO Has been asked for for over a decade, it would reignite the fledgling Pokemon brand, and it would sell a butt load of Wii U. Nintendo is the king of dumb decisions, and The next handheld/console being region free sadly doesn't solve the lack of a standard N3DS in America. :( gateway however, does.

I haven't seen an OG 3DS sold brand new in any retail store in well over a year.

Should we PM a mod? This is not the 3DS modding thread. Richisawesome (i think) made a thread about potentially modding the normal size New 3DS from other regions, let that thread serve it's purpose as well as this one.

The reasoning for not bringing the regular sized model are not justifyed. Territories with far less sales volume than America are getting all the models, so whatever travels Nintendo incurs in for offering the extra options, would be less worth for those places. Simple as that.

This is just another example of poor judgement in the management of this NIntendo branch. Like they showed during the last Wii days when opting to let the system fade into nothingness while sitting in some quality japanese releases.

I was at one of our local Target store last week and took the picture below. Damon Baker and NOA have a lot of gall when they say their only concern in this situation is "avoiding consumer confusion with too many skus" when they keep stocking old/XL stock AND continue to do THIS;

Wii Minis get restocked here regularly next to Wii U:

7523AF86-4EE6-40F4-B21E-D967EF6A923F-653-000000A1C47C864B_zps11383d1f.jpg

Here's a picture I took at our local Best Buy some time this past year, stack of unsold Wii Minis next to a broken Wii U demo unit:

74D47D82-E6CE-4C59-9715-BD33E22735DD-653-000000A4C1F9044F_zpsafcbd65a.jpg

Damon Baker and his crack team at NOA! Working tirelessly day and night to ensure that consumers in America know what they want!

BooJoh

Also, Gamefreak's reasoning is far from sound. No one just goes around and asks people if they have Pokemon or something. A Pokemon MMO Has been asked for for over a decade, it would reignite the fledgling Pokemon brand, and it would sell a butt load of Wii U.

The "fledgling Pokemon brand" is one of the few Nintendo IPs that still hits the top 10 sales charts with every release.

But this isn't the topic for this. Please search GAF for "console Pokemon" for multiple topics with plenty of reasons why this hasn't happened and will not happen in the foreseeable future.

Nintendo is the king of dumb decisions, and The next handheld/console being region free sadly doesn't solve the lack of a standard N3DS in America. :( gateway however, does.

Gateway isn't a solution. Hell, it's barely a band-aid, it's more like using duct tape and popsicle sticks to mend a broken bone.

I want the official 3DS experience, not the grey area hacker crap that most people just use to play "legitimate backups." I want auto-updates and day 1 firmware updates. Not "still waiting for Gateway to update" and "MAKE SURE YOU DON'T UPDATE UNLESS YOU'RE IN GATEWAY MODE."

I've had a feeling all along that Nintendo was going to release this in the west. Hopefully that will still happen thanks to the FCC listing.

Note that people found the n3DS XL listing had the same embargo date, and both were filed in September of last year, so the FCC listing probably doesn't mean much except that NOA was taking appropriate pre-release measures before they decided not to release both models.

so Gateway is gonna deliver...
maybe I should give up on the NA n3DS dream and just import and use Gateway
Investigate the Gateway stuff to make sure you can run it. it seems to be a pretty convoluted process. Import in the meantime though, if you want to have a system that isn't on the latest firmware.

wilflare

welp. sorry my fellow resistance brothers.
I have fallen prey and bought a new3DS XL instead
(just couldn't take how slow and horrible my old 3DSXL was)

I'm kinda enjoying the new one, everything feels much better - this should have been the first release.

I'm still writing in all my Club Nintendo surveys to bring the new3DS over

#ashamed

I'm kinda enjoying the new one, everything feels much better - this should have been the first release.

#ashamed

Boo-urns! And unless you're buying older games there are no more CN surveys. Oh well, enjoy your NXL, but I'm still happily avoiding that thing like the plague.

Depending on how my tax refund goes and assuming the new gateway allows one to do a mostly proper region change, I'm still planning on importing a N3DS. Oh and this custom faceplate that you can buy from etsy sealed the deal for me, no way I can avoid importing when this beautiful thing exists:

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Did the revelation that the XL has IPS screens sway anyone?

I was planning on getting the smaller system originally and was bummed out that it didn't come to NA, but honestly I would have been pretty annoyed if I bought a N3DS and found out a month later that only the XL has the nicer screens.

Seil

I was planning on getting the smaller system originally and was bummed out that it didn't come to NA, but honestly I would have been pretty annoyed if I bought a N3DS and found out a month later that only the XL has the nicer screens.

Hasn't really affected my opinion. I'd rather have the superior PPI than the viewing angles seeing as it's a handheld and I'd be keeping it at a good angle anyway. And I don't think I've heard much mention in regards to colors etc?

The form factor of the standard size is just too perfect. If it comes to a point where I absolutely can't stand not having a new 3DS I might get a new XL, but until then I'll just be sticking to my normal XL which just keeps reminding me how much I'd really like the standard model x.x

Nope, I really don't see why people are making a big deal about IPS on the NXL. PPI should be more important to the impact on a handheld's overall screen quality.

BooJoh

I have no idea what IPS screens are, but I don't really see any noticeable difference in screen quality between my OG, my mom's XL, and my nXL other than the Super Stable 3D and my OG's slightly cooler/bluer color balance on the top screen.

I'm still planning to get a regular n3DS if they release them in NA, but honestly I'm getting used to my nXL. The size is still a bit much, but the PPI doesn't seem that bad (it's certainly not as chunky as DSiXL.) Overall, I have to say the nXL feels like a major upgrade coming from an OG, so I'm glad I picked one up, even if I'd still prefer the regular n3DS.

At this point I just hope that if we do get the n3DS here we won't miss out on cover plates because of timing (specifically the MH4U plates.)

#ashamed

Traitor!!

On a more serious, this is all Ninty's fault. Definitely Ninty's fault.

I have no idea what IPS screens are, but I don't really see any noticeable difference in screen quality between my OG, my mom's XL, and my nXL other than the Super Stable 3D and my OG's slightly cooler/bluer color balance on the top screen.

I'm still planning to get a regular n3DS if they release them in NA, but honestly I'm getting used to my nXL. The size is still a bit much, but the PPI doesn't seem that bad (it's certainly not as chunky as DSiXL.) Overall, I have to say the nXL feels like a major upgrade coming from an OG, so I'm glad I picked one up, even if I'd still prefer the regular n3DS.

At this point I just hope that if we do get the n3DS here we won't miss out on cover plates because of timing (specifically the MH4U plates.)

Bizarrely only some systems have IPS screens, so your NXL may not have them.

Basically they're just nicer screens, specifically they have much better viewing angles than the screens in other 3DS models. Usually IPS screens have nicer colors than cheaper panels too, not sure if the N3DSXL benefits from that but the difference in viewing angle is pretty huge.

wilflare

the new3DSXL has a much better screen than my old 3DSXL. the colors, viewing angles and overall image just looks better. but maybe I just got a lemon

Not really, the screen the regular one has is still crisp and full of color. Think overall the new screens are better than the old, no matter the model.
Never noticed the IPS on the demo units.
Still pretty much holding my ground on not buying a new XL though.

Edit: Also funny that Wii Minis get more stock than the new 3DS.

BooJoh

Interesting. I think mine does have them then, since the colors seem to stay pretty consistent even at extreme angles, even in comparison to the bottom screen on the same unit, but especially compared to my OG 3DS.

Not that I ever play 3DS at extreme angles anyway.

BooJoh

I remember people were talking about the FCC thing, the pictures were released:

http://www.reddit.com/r/3DS/comments/303636/regular_new_3ds_pictures_released_on_fcc_website/

Probably doesn't mean anything. Those were released yesterday, the XL pics were released today. Both were submitted in September. All it shows is that NOA was likely preparing for release of both units at some point before deciding not to release the standard unit.

I'd love to be wrong, but it just feels like non-news because of the inclusion of the XL.

Last line of the article says:

So while this news may be good for the gamers that waited, this is most likely going to sting for the ones that didn’t. What do you guys think about this move? Is it good? Is it bad? Let us know in the comments below. Happy April Fools day!

Doubt? Very yes.

Edit: It's fake. Very funny. >_>

Rnr1224

Thats just cruel! Hope is waning at this point for me. Hoped they would correct it in the Nintendo Direct and release it before Xenoblade 3D but oh well. :(

Einhander

Thats just cruel! Hope is waning at this point for me. Hoped they would correct it in the Nintendo Direct and release it before Xenoblade 3D but oh well. :(

E3 is the absolute last window, in my view. Of course, these days, nothing is stopping Nintendo from announcing it during any of the Directs that they broadcast throughout the year.

E3 is the absolute last window, in my view. Of course, these days, nothing is stopping Nintendo from announcing it during any of the Directs that they broadcast throughout the year.

At this point I'm thinking E3 or a holiday announcement so they can rope casual parents in with the customizability aspect of the system... But I will still be keeping hope. The only way we will officially know if it's never coming here is if 1.) Nintendo outright tells us or 2.) the end of the year comes and goes without any sign of the system

Still waiting for someone to hack 9.4 so I can rip and ytransfer everything over to my PAL regular n3DS. I don't have any hope of NoA releasing it anymore.

Any chance that smash game update (NA version) which contained amibo infer for BOTH the n3ds and n3dsxl means that NA is getting the n3ds soon?

has this thread been in vain all the time? wouldn't it be completely unforeseeable that NOA will not release the n3ds regular? we're talking about a huge market for the 3ds.

perhaps noa will wait until the n3dsxl rush is over before bringing it over. i personally think theres no way the standard aint coming over

Any chance that smash game update (NA version) which contained amibo infer for BOTH the n3ds and n3dsxl means that NA is getting the n3ds soon?

has this thread been in vain all the time? wouldn't it be completely unforeseeable that NOA will not release the n3ds regular? we're talking about a huge market for the 3ds.

perhaps noa will wait until the n3dsxl rush is over before bringing it over. i personally think theres no way the standard aint coming over
I used to be like this but have lost all hope, more or less :-( What's this Smash stuff you're talking about?

Edit: I've lost so much hope that I've been thinking about buying the XL, argh. I do have a PAL regular n3DS, but it doesn't gelp that all my retail and eShop games are NTSC. Need a hack released for 9.4 so I can transfer all of my games over.

I used to be like this but have lost all hope, more or less :-( What's this Smash stuff you're talking about?

Edit: I've lost so much hope that I've been thinking about buying the XL, argh. I do have a PAL regular n3DS, but it doesn't gelp that all my retail and eShop games are NTSC. Need a hack released for 9.4 so I can transfer all of my games over.

Wouldn't waiting for e3 be a good option...? I mean it's jusf 2 months away....

Make your decision then...?

Also It's not like eu isn't a good region, you'll still get most, if not all na localizations and the release dates are now much better now compared to the earlier days of the
3ds.

Wouldn't waiting for e3 be a good option...? I mean it's jusf 2 months away....

Make your decision then...?

Also It's not like eu isn't a good region, you'll still get most, if not all na localizations and the release dates are now much better now compared to the earlier days of the
3ds.
I think I'll be able to hold out. I'm not sure if I'll ever get the XL, may just carry on gaming on my OG 3DS.

bumpkin

One thing about the OG 3DS is the volume, I wished it had a better speaker. The N3DS's matte surface also beats it too.
So the plain N3DS aren't the glossy fingerprint magnets that the N3DS XLs are? That's really my only complaint about the MM N3DS XL that I was able to get the last time some showed up in GameStops. Drives my OCD mad!

im holding no problems here. Every time i got a chance to make them know about my discontent i do so. Bending over and getting the XL doesn't help matters.

im giving NOA until years end. If the standard size New 3DS isn't brought over, at the least through the online store, then i 'll buy an old normal sized one used and every game from there on used as well. It's consumer responsability to at least have some will power.

Mr-Joker

Banned
It has been two months since the release of the Super 3DS, the regular model isn't getting a release in the US.

It's time for you to

tumblr_n1zi5rWB2V1r7b6cio1_500.gif

It has been two months since the release of the Super 3DS, the regular model isn't getting a release in the US.

It's time for you to

tumblr_n1zi5rWB2V1r7b6cio1_500.gif

See, I'd like to, but then there's the fact that I still can't buy a New 3DS.

(I have a region-changed system but the eShop is a mess)

Ugh, what a pointless bump.

Anyways, still rocking my regular, aqua blue non-XL launch 3DS and unless standard N3DS is announced for U.S. at E3 it looks like that won't change until the next handheld.

UberTag

Ugh, what a pointless bump.

Anyways, still rocking my regular, aqua blue non-XL launch 3DS and unless standard N3DS is announced for U.S. at E3 it looks like that won't change until the next handheld.
I'm in the same boat. Luckily for Nintendo I used the cash I had allocated for an N3DS non-XL towards purchasing a Wii U instead despite being a predominantly portable gamer.

I'm in the same boat. Luckily for Nintendo I used the cash I had allocated for an N3DS non-XL towards purchasing a Wii U instead despite being a predominantly portable gamer.

Exactly, it's always best to have self control and at least spend your money on something else that meets your expectations. Not getting a NXL has only freed up my budget to buy more games.

So is Nintendo ever going to release a regular New Nintendo 3DS not the XL version for NA?

/Nintendo doesn't like money.
I've resigned myself to the fact that they won't.

I have a confession to make, fellow stalwarts. No, I haven't broken down and bought the n3DS XL (fight the power!).

I finally played my OG XL last night. I only bought it refurbished from Nintendo because I wanted to use it as my Cubic Ninja homebrew machine. There was an issue with the system, so I sent it back to Nintendo, who fixed it and sadly upgraded it from firmware 9.2 to 9.4, so Ninjhax was no longer possible. Anyway, I booted up Mario Kart 7 on it last night, and it's not the huge, pixelated mess that I expected it to be. I still prefer the smaller size of the OG 3DS/n3DS because I find it a lot more comfortable...but I think I'd be open to getting the XL now.

Top Bottom