• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warner Bros Reboots 'Buffy The Vampire Slayer' Without Joss Whedon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobor

Teh Hamburglar said:
and then...

LA gets sent to a hell dimension. LA gets split up as demon mob bosses each take a slice. Angel becomes human, Wesley becomes Wolfram and Hart's ghostly liason, Gwenn, Nina, Kate Lockley and Connor become Team Angel. Comic was actually a pretty good "Season 8".

I read the first couple issues of that, I need to finish it up. Would have been Season 6, though. ;)

Teh Hamburglar said:
and then...

LA gets sent to a hell dimension. LA gets split up as demon mob bosses each take a slice. Angel becomes human, Wesley becomes Wolfram and Hart's ghostly liason, Gwenn, Nina, Kate Lockley and Connor become Team Angel. Comic was actually a pretty good "Season 8".

Better than the awful Buffy continuation.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Joss Whedon said:
After Warner Bros. announced today that they are moving forward with a Buffy the Vampire Slayer "reboot"—without the involvement of the iconic mastermind behind the TV series, Joss Whedon—I checked in with Joss for his reaction, and here's what he just shared with me via email:
Kristin, I'm glad you asked for my thoughts on the announcement of Buffy the cinema film. This is a sad, sad reflection on our times, when people must feed off the carcasses of beloved stories from their youths—just because they can't think of an original idea of their own, like I did with my Avengers idea that I made up myself.
Obviously I have strong, mixed emotions about something like this. My first reaction upon hearing who was writing it was, "Whit Stillman AND Wes Anderson? This is gonna be the most sardonically adorable movie EVER." Apparently I was misinformed. Then I thought, "I'll make a mint! This is worth more than all my Toy Story residuals combined!" Apparently I am seldom informed of anything. And possibly a little slow. But seriously, are vampires even popular any more?

I always hoped that Buffy would live on even after my death. But, you know, AFTER. I don't love the idea of my creation in other hands, but I'm also well aware that many more hands than mine went into making that show what it was. And there is no legal grounds for doing anything other than sighing audibly. I can't wish people who are passionate about my little myth ill. I can, however, take this time to announce that I'm making a Batman movie. Because there's a franchise that truly needs updating. So look for The Dark Knight Rises Way Earlier Than That Other One And Also More Cheaply And In Toronto, rebooting into a theater near you.

Leave me to my pain! Sincerely, Joss Whedon.

Quite.

Calcaneus

This guy has the best and worst luck all at the same time. He always get chances to make awesome TV shows and movies, but they always end up getting fucked with in some way.

Busty

Banned
The only shocking thing about this news is that this project is set up at Warners rather than Fox. Why would anyone want to see Whedon bring back the Buffy franchise with a (urgh) reboot?

Whedon's Buffy has already run it's course. The idea of a new Buffy isn't really floating my boat at all but I'd sooner see a new take than Whedon trying to have another 'stab' at it.

So presumably (and I haven't had time to read the article yet) Fox will retain the TV rights to Buffy while Warners signs the film rights? Sounds to me like WB are almost trying to get one over on Fox rather than forge ahead with a new iteration of the Buffy franchise.

But if it's all 'legit' then having Chuck Roven (The Dark Knight) onboard as producer at least gives it more of a fighting chance.

Really fucking tired of all these reboots of stuff that doesn't need to be rebooted.

I guess I'll just be happy nobody is redoing Forever Knight...

Polk

At least they don't destroy my dvds with tv show.
I'm still amazed they didn't rebooted Casablanca or Gone with the Wind.

Busty

Banned
Darklord said:
No Joss Whedon? Might actually be good then.

h5xXK.gif

Jintor

anaron said:
We don't speak of that abomination. This includes most of season six and seven.

Eh, I think most of that was alright. But slayer army? Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out.

I can live with lesbian buffy though. I guess that was temporary but

Chorazin

Jintor said:
Eh, I think most of that was alright. But slayer army? Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out.

I can live with lesbian buffy though. I guess that was temporary but

Slayer Army: Awesome for the end of a show, terrible for an ongoing thing.

Cheerilee

Polk said:
At least they don't destroy my dvds with tv show.
I'm still amazed they didn't rebooted Casablanca or Gone with the Wind.
"Gone with the Wind" the movie was a reboot of "Gone with the Wind" the book.

I don't care I liked the first movie more than I liked the TV series. Okay first 3 seasons were good and the rest garbage to me.

He didnt create the original Buffy right, so why is he saying his creation.

Chorazin

Aika'svyse said:
I don't care I liked the first movie more than I liked the TV series. Okay first 3 seasons were good and the rest garbage to me.

He was one of the writers for the movie, so yes, it's his creation, at least in part.

Cheerilee

Aika'svyse said:

Buffy was the first screenplay he sold. He got pissed about how it was being made wrong and walked off the set halfway through. He made Buffy TV for revenge and to set the story straight.

Okay then ya learn something everyday. As I said i liked Buffy TV more in the early going, whereas I appreciated Angel througout. I don't mind a Buffy reboot with a different take on it. I'd actually go for more serious, horrifying take.:D

Jay Sosa

Gary Whitta said:
Spectacularly dumb. And at least part of the reason for this is because all the people who are going to hate this the most are the Buffy fans, who view Buffy and Whedon as inseparable. There is going to be nothing but ill will directed at this from the very people that make up the show's potential target audience. Talk about a mountain to climb...

I can only begin to imagine the meltdowns on Whedonesque and the various Buffy fan boards right about now. My heart goes out to the Buffy fans; they deserve better than this. And it's not like Buffy was just a good idea poorly executed; the Whedon version of Buffy was extremely good and beloved by legions of fans. Exactly what about this was crying out to be remade?

Eh I'm a huge Buffy fan and don't care at all, I mean why would I even get upset over something like this? The series is done, I loved every season (yeah even the oh so horrible 6 and 7th) of it and that's that. It's not like that's gonna change when they release a movie..

It sure is disrespectful towards Wheedon but that's not my problem..

Aika'svyse said:

wtf i can say, without a doubt, you have the shittiest taste in whats good and whats bad.

Snaku

Banned
Am I the only one that adored the movie, and looked forward to the TV series, only to be extremely disappointed? Where was Kristy Swanson? What the hell happened to Pike? What happened to the campy & fun tone? Why are the vampires retarded looking when they "become" vampires? I couldn't stand to watch more than the first few episodes.

The first Xbox game was awesome though.

DieH@rd said:
Fuck no, Angel ending was awesome.
[ig]http://l.yimg.com/eb/ymv/us/img/hv/photo/movie_pix/fox_home_video/angel___season_5/_group_photos/amy_acker2.jpg[/img]

also this
angel-smile-time_l.jpg

:lol :lol

Both shows went out on a note that sums up their central theme. With Buffy it was the female empowerment thing. Angel, it was all about the fight for redemption. It was never about the reward. In that sense, I found Angel's ending to be pretty satisfying. But in the end I just wanted a season 6. They had really hit their stride despite having a shoestring budget.

Whedon sucks anyway.

Troll is trolling.

gdt

I LOVE Angel, enjoyed Buffy, but I have no problem with this. Let someone else have a crack at it, if they want.

It's possible I could feel different when Angel gets fucked with :lol .

Patryn

People should also remember that this a remake of the MOVIE.

They don't have any rights to the TV characters.

So no Giles.
No Willow.
No Xander.
No Oz.
No Tara.
No Dawn.
No Angel.
No Spike.
Etc.

But we will be able to get Pike! You guys remember Pike, right?

WrikaWrek said:
Troll?

What is this, the gaming side? He's a writer who writes shitty. So i think he sucks and buffy is better off without him, so how am i trolling?

1) Enter thread with sole intent to put down OP content

2) Provide no supporting arguments.

3) Trolled.

Most Whedon shows would probably have been better with less Joss Whedon involvement. Especially in the casting department where he tends to hire friends over actors that fit the roles.

Like remake Firefly without Nathan Fillion or Gina Torres and it'd be a much better show.

I know, I can already hear the cries of heresy from the Whedon faithful. It's just my humble opinion.

Oblig: Fuck remakes.

Tobor

wayward archer said:
Most Whedon shows would probably have been better with less Joss Whedon involvement. Especially in the casting department where he tends to hire friends over actors that fit the roles.

Like remake Firefly without Nathan Fillion or Gina Torres and it'd be a much better show.

I know, I can already hear the cries of heresy from the Whedon faithful. It's just my humble opinion.

Oblig: Fuck remakes.

This has nothing to do with being a Whedon fan, your opinion just sucks. Nobody short of a young Harrison Ford could have played Malcolm Reynolds better. That was inspired casting.

Tobor said:
This has nothing to do with being a Whedon fan, your opinion just sucks. Nobody short of a young Harrison Ford could have played Malcolm Reynolds better. That was inspired casting.

He just didn't work for me, sorry. Just way too hammy. I think he's a pretty good actor, too.

Young Harrison Ford would have been infinitely more awesome.

Dyno

Gary Whitta said:
And it's not like Buffy was just a good idea poorly executed; the Whedon version of Buffy was extremely good and beloved by legions of fans.

I would say that Buffy was a somewhat lame and silly idea (good for just a single movie) that Whedon took seriously and moulded into a very interesting, long-term idea complete with spin-off.

WB has kept the weakest part of the concept and tossed the strongest!

Really I'm getting to hate 'branding' because all we end up getting is rehash and an overall lack of creativity. What Buffy story could you tell that hasn't already been covered over years of decent television?

Tobor

wayward archer said:
He just didn't work for me, sorry. Just way too hammy. I think he's a pretty good actor, too.

Young Harrison Ford would have been infinitely more awesome.

I don't see how anyone watching "Out of Gas" could ever describe him as hammy, but to each his own.

Replicant

The 2nd iteration of Buffy (the TV series) worked well due to the combination of:

1. Joss Wheddon's idea and the consistency of his writing team
2. Sarah Michelle Gellar's characterization of Buffy
3. The awesome supporting cast members/characters

Without the combination of those 3, I don't think this will work at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom