• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warner Bros Reboots 'Buffy The Vampire Slayer' Without Joss Whedon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay Sosa

wayward archer said:
Most Whedon shows would probably have been better with less Joss Whedon involvement. Especially in the casting department where he tends to hire friends over actors that fit the roles.

Like remake Firefly without Nathan Fillion or Gina Torres and it'd be a much better show.

I know, I can already hear the cries of heresy from the Whedon faithful. It's just my humble opinion.

Oblig: Fuck remakes.

If I love anything about Whedon shows it's the casting. Lots of nerdy and down to earth characters(by the looks of it) instead of unbelievable attractive people(I find them immensely attractive but I love nerdy girls). I mean compare the cast of Vampire Chronicles or whatever that boring show is called with Buffy. You had Charisma Carpenter, SMG and David Boreanaz that looked like typical Hollywood actors and that's it. On VC or True Blood everyone looks like some fashion model straight out a catalogue..

And I haven't seen much of Firefly but NF is clearly the most charismatic guy on the show so what the hell are you talking about? If he's so terrible why does he have is own show right now?

Magnus

JayDubya said:
You will hear the following string of characters as the appropriate Price is Right sound effect:

Bum bum ba-bum, FAAAAIIIL

:lol :lol :lol

As a hardcore Whedonite, count me in as one of the bummed.

Dyno

Hari Seldon said:
I don't understand the hype of Whedon. His shows are campy and scream "network TV".

The story is about a teenaged girl named Buffy. She hunts vampires in her spare time.

Go bang me out a few pages, son. Get grim with it. Take it to the dark side for me.

Dyno said:
The story is about a teenaged girl named Buffy. She hunts vampires in her spare time.

Go bang me out a few pages, son. Get grim with it. Take it to the dark side for me.

That's how we ended up with Underworld.

hsin

Banned
Jay Sosa said:
If I love anything about Whedon shows it's the casting. Lots of nerdy and down to earth characters(by the looks of it) instead of unbelievable attractive people(I find them immensely attractive but I love nerdy girls). I mean compare the cast of Vampire Chronicles or whatever that boring show is called with Buffy. You had Charisma Carpenter, SMG and David Boreanaz that looked like typical Hollywood actors and that's it. On VC or True Blood everyone looks like some fashion model straight out a catalogue..

And I haven't seen much of Firefly but NF is clearly the most charismatic guy on the show so what the hell are you talking about? If he's so terrible why does he have is own show right now?

Exactly. Joss' ability to artfully manage a large group of characters so that each one is sufficiently developed is incredible and has been proven in almost everything he's done (minus the S7 Slayer potentials and Dollhouse S1). The Scoobies, Team Angel, Firefly crew...EVERY character received a lot of character development and were all interesting.

NF is by far one of my favorite Whedon actors. I saw him as evil preacher Caleb before I saw Firefly and thought he was one of the most brutal and terrifying Big Bads in the series. I didn't think he would convince me that he would make a great leading hero in FF but I was blown away. Same goes for Alan Tudyk, Gina Torres and Adam Baldwin - all pros in hero and villain roles.

Oh, totally watch FF TONIGHT dude! Warning: you go into massive shock wondering why the series had to get canceled.

genjiZERO

you know if Wes Anderson wrote it I think it could actually be good. Buffy could be played by hot ambiguously older looking woman. Angel by Jason Schwartzman. Giles by Bill Murray. And the plot would revolve around resolving strained mother/daughter relationships.

You know I get the love for Buffy and then Angel, but I've never really gotten the Serenity love. The movie is really good, but the the acting in the TV show was cringe worthy. It also makes no sense - they have solved energy enough to have inter-galactic transportation, but people still live like it's 1900 - really?

Thomper

genjiZERO said:
you know if Wes Anderson wrote it I think it could actually be good. Buffy could be played by hot ambiguously older looking woman. Angel by Jason Schwartzman. Giles by Bill Murray. And the plot would revolve around resolving strained mother/daughter relationships.
I think I read that while Buffy as a character is owned by the Kuzui's/Warner Bros (so they *can* remake 'her'), Giles and Angel and others were created by Whedon and are thus (at least partially) owned by him. Which means they could only be included in this remake if Whedon allows it. Which he probably won't.

So basically, all they can use is Buffy herself.

Hari Seldon

Dyno said:

I'm not saying the shows are bad, but fairly average for what is on. We aren't talking David Simon here. I don't understand the massive love. I saw a few Buffy episodes (primarily for Sarah Michelle), and didn't find them special. I saw all of Firefly and thought it was really good, but not great enough to warrant the fan clubs that exist. I never watched his other shows.

Chorazin

genjiZERO said:

Maybe, but he's not involved in the slightest: Whit Anderson is the writer.

Busty

Banned
Despite all these harcore 'Whedonites' saying they won't go anywhere near this film (providing it ever sees the light of day which is in itself a long shot) I think some smart creative choices would easily win them over.

I can't help but feel all Warners need do is cut a 'whiz bang' trailer with lots of action 'moneys shots' and a good one liners, then slap a My Chemical Romance song over the top of it and the Whedonites will be climbing over each other to get a ticket.

gdt

Busty said:
Despite all these harcore 'Whedonites' saying they won't go anywhere near this film (providing it ever sees the light of day which is in itself a long shot) I think some smart creative choices would easily win them over.

I can't help but feel all Warners need do is cut a 'whiz bang' trailer with lots of action 'moneys shots' and a good one liners, then slap a My Chemical Romance song over the top of it and the Whedonites will be climbing over each other to get a ticket.

Every single Whedonite will be there, Day 1, if only to say they hate it.

Chorazin

Busty said:

When the "Wheadonites" are named for the fucking writer of the show, one would think his involvement would be necessary for that reaction.

gdt5016 said:

Basically. And the studio pretty much could care less about Whedonites, they are obviously going for a new audience. They are just going to get bonus ticket sales off those going to see it to hate it.

Busty

Banned
Thomper said:
I think I read that while Buffy as a character is owned by the Kuzui's/Warner Bros (so they *can* remake 'her'), Giles and Angel and others were created by Whedon and are thus (at least partially) owned by him. Which means they could only be included in this remake if Whedon allows it. Which he probably won't.

So basically, all they can use is Buffy herself.

Like I said, this is what makes this such a puzzling move for me.

Fox owns the TV rights, Warner (now) owns the film rights.

Sounds like a glorified territorial studio pissing match if you ask me.

WB can use the TV characters if they want to, the characters fall under the Buffy IP, the thing is if they use the characters in the movie, they have to pay Whedon.

Busty

Banned
Chorazin said:
When the "Wheadonites" are named for the fucking writer of the show, one would think his involvement would be necessary for that reaction.

You'd think so wouldn't you? However......

gdt5016 said:

This.

If Paramount can bring in non Trek fans with Abrams' recent film anything is possible frankly.

Patryn

Busty said:
You'd think so wouldn't you? However......

This.

If Paramount can bring in non Trek fans with Abrams' recent film anything is possible frankly.

But Paramount hired a (semi)big-name director and writers with name value.

The writer Warner Brothers hired is an actress (more like glorified extra) who has never had a screenplay produced before on any level.

See the difference?

Busty

Banned
Patryn said:
But Paramount hired a (semi)big-name director and writers with name value.

Big name writers or not their script for the Trek reboot was fucking shocking.

Patryn said:
The INITIAL writer Warner Brothers hired is an actress (more like glorified extra) who has never had a screenplay produced before on any level.

See the difference?

Fixed.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
wayward archer said:
Most Whedon shows would probably have been better with less Joss Whedon involvement. Especially in the casting department where he tends to hire friends over actors that fit the roles.

Like remake Firefly without Nathan Fillion or Gina Torres and it'd be a much better show.

I know, I can already hear the cries of heresy from the Whedon faithful. It's just my humble opinion.

Oblig: Fuck remakes.

You have terrible taste, my friend. Terrrible.

...and no, Whedon fans won't show up to a theater just so they can post about how terrible a non-Whedon Buffy movie ends up. We're largely aware of the Internet, ya know. At best, most people interested in doing that will just torrent the damn thing. Others, like me, will just pretend this isn't happening.

genjiZERO

20.jpg

If there was ever two shows that needed a cross-over it's Buffy and Doctor Who. Gilles is the Doctor, but he's been keeping secret about it the whole time. In fact, all the Watchers are the Doctor, just from different incarnations and timelines. The Hellmouth is just the local name for a rift. Also, Buffy is his clone daughter (or alternately the future daughter of the Doctor clone and Rose who gets sent to this dimension), but she has amnesia so she doesn't know it. In the end we learn that Vampires exist because at some point the Master was imprisoned in the Sunnydale Rift/Hellmouth and has a cold. The virus from his cold is alien, and when it infects humans they turn into vampires.

Fucking genius

Vinci

Danish
Whedon's response to this was pretty damn classy, all things considered. Good luck, Warner Bros. You're gonna need it.

Raistlin

How did I miss this thread.

Anyway I really have nothing to add. Just here to pile on in the WB hate. FFS ... what a debacle.

Medalion

Banned
Vinci said:
Whedon's response to this was pretty damn classy, all things considered. Good luck, Warner Bros. You're gonna need it.
If the show is stylized more like Twilight, it will have no problems staying afloat the midst of Vampire related shows inspired by Twilight

Medalion

Banned
Watching Buffy reruns of earlier seasons on muchmoremusic of all places... God Jenny Calender was so purdy... Fuck u reboot!

I'm watching Buffy reruns on Chiller. Honestly, they should've ended it with
The Gift. Buffy's death would've been the perfect way to go out, plus we wouldn't have had to be subjected to Spike and Buffy banging away at each other while Buffy has emo face.

ConradCervantes said:
The Gift. Buffy's death would've been the perfect way to go out, plus we wouldn't have had to be subjected to Spike and Buffy banging away at each other while Buffy has emo face.

the whole Buffy rape/battered wife/depressed season was such a betrayal of her character. Marty Nixon you hack.

iamblades

genjiZERO said:
20.jpg

If there was ever two shows that needed a cross-over it's Buffy and Doctor Who. Gilles is the Doctor, but he's been keeping secret about it the whole time. In fact, all the Watchers are the Doctor, just from different incarnations and timelines. The Hellmouth is just the local name for a rift. Also, Buffy is his clone daughter (or alternately the future daughter of the Doctor clone and Rose who gets sent to this dimension), but she has amnesia so she doesn't know it. In the end we learn that Vampires exist because at some point the Master was imprisoned in the Sunnydale Rift/Hellmouth and has a cold. The virus from his cold is alien, and when it infects humans they turn into vampires.

Fucking genius

Holy shit it works.

As an aside, if studio execs actually think buffy will work as a cash in on the twilight craze, they are even dumber than I already thought they were. Even at buffy's angstiest moments it never had the kind of overwrought melodrama the twilight crowd is looking for.

Medalion

Banned
ConradCervantes said:
No wai... Season 1 was barely ripe shoula stopped at end of season 5 or 6

Cheerilee

Whedon doesn't own the Buffyverse, Fran and Kaz Kuzui do.

Whedon was a nobody with a screenplay for sale like half the janitors in LA, and he was lucky enough to sell one to people with money. Warner even gave him a job helping to turn the story into a movie, but the Kuzui's didn't understand his genius and/or had their own ideas for the movie, so he quit that job and he spits on them for it.

Warner/Kuzui licensed the TV rights to Fox, and Fox was obligated to inform Whedon about it. Whedon had absolutely no say in the matter, but Fox simply had to tell him anyways. Fox had no writer/director/producer, and Whedon begged for them to let him take control of it all, because he wanted to fix what Warner/Kuzui ruined. Fox agreed even though Whedon wasn't an accomplished director/producer because they didn't really care. The Kuzui's get credit on the TV show because they own Buffy and he spits on them for it.

Whedon's show was good enough to earn an even better spinoff, Angel. The Kuzui's get credit on Angel though, because they own the entire Buffyverse. If they didn't own the changes Whedon made to Buffy for Fox-licensed TV, they wouldn't get credit on Angel, but they do own it, which is why they got credit. Whedon still spits on them and says they don't deserve to own the Buffyverse, simply because he sold it to them. Damn capitalism.

The Kuzui's/Warner decide to make another Buffy movie. They don't have to involve middlemen because they kept the rights to make Buffy movies. Is anyone surprised that they don't choose to hire Whedon? The man makes no secret of the fact that he hates them.

The Kuzui's own and can use anyone from the Buffyverse in their movie. They probably just have to pay Whedon a standard royalty. Star Trek once had a character named Nicholas Locarno appear in a Next Generation episode, and they had an idea to bring him back as a main cast member on Voyager, but when they realized that using a character from one episode meant that they would have to pay a small royalty to the writers of the TNG episode every time the character was used in a Voyager episode, for as long as Voyager would be on the air, they chickened out and renamed him Tom Paris. If it's just a standard royalty to use the things you own but someone else wrote, the Kuzui's/Warner could bring back the entire Scooby gang, with the whole cast of original actors, and Whedon wouldn't have any say in it. Paying him the royalty to use Buffy Summers might even include every other character for free.

Personally, I think the least classy thing in Whedon's response is that he insulted the woman they hired to write the movie for being a no-name nobody, especially since she claimed to be a fan of Whedon's work.

Jex

It's not that a reboot is inherherently a bad idea (although it is a pretty stupid move).

It's not that they're doing it without Joss Whedon (although that is also a pretty stupid move).

It's that the property itself isn't exactly an amazing concept, in most people's hands it will probably turn out to be fairly dull. As much as people didn't like Dollhouse, at least it was a more original concept.

Medalion

Banned
Jexhius said:
It's not that a reboot is inherherently a bad idea (although it is a pretty stupid move).

It's not that they're doing it without Joss Whedon (although that is also a pretty stupid move).

It's that the property itself isn't exactly an amazing concept, in most people's hands it will probably turn out to be fairly dull. As much as people didn't like Dollhouse, at least it was a more original concept.
It is trying to caitalize off the interest in vampies lately cuz of Twilight... That is all, otherwise the show would still be left undead

Jay Sosa

ConradCervantes said:

:lol Then we still would see lots of people complaining that they ended the show in it's prime and so on. Admit it.. you people are never satisfied anyway so they did everything right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom